3.80 star(s) 63 Votes

leo dicaprio

Apr 19, 2024
it is since devs want to keep their games well inside patreon's rules unlike other devs who poke the boundaries 1 way or other.
listening to two hypocrites from California is a bad idea, let the whole art of Breaking Bad delete if it's fighting drugs like that, or game of Thrones if you don't like incest so much

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
Yeah the incest-vibe is a little weird in this game.

They lived together, could be a very close childhoodfriend. But than there is this whole taboo thing going on, as if a relationship between the two is forbidden. And the fact that all their other games are clearly supposed to be incest (with the same loophole to avoid patreon ban) makes me set Leah as sister as well. I dont remember exactly but i think one time they are refereing to their parents too (which are magically nowhere on earth, cause they dont even call them or something like that)

Well... whatever. Compared to DfD and Double Homework the game has extreme flaws in continuitiy, and that said... the other games have such problems as well, but not as heavy as in Shale Hill. So during a playthrough sometimes you get serious incest vibes, and in the very next scene not anymore. And the matter of fact that decisions doesnt really matter was already discussed, cause they are ignored constantly.
Honestly, this VN doesn't really play up the brother/sister relationship as hard as others. At least for most of the chapters, you could totally interpret their relationship as best friends who are sharing an apartment for college (literal roommates). It isn't until later where there are some cracks in the dialogue that hint at a taboo where the sibling relationship becomes more evident. And then later it's revealed that they were raised together in the same household, so logically they'd have to be step or foster siblings at the very least.

I personally don't care whether or not there is Incest though I trend towards preferring non-incest. It's just so common in VNs that it's practically a rule at this point that hot family members are fuckable. That said, more than anything I like dialogue to work in context though and sometimes incest is specifically NOT intended (like in the case of Origin Story). So usually I'll start a VN with the default dialogue right up until the dialogue doesn't make sense without incest, then I'll toggle it on or get a patch.

Reactions: FritzLn and The D0n

Hahn1900

Formerly 'Hahn81'
Jan 3, 2021
Honestly, this VN doesn't really play up the brother/sister relationship as hard as others. At least for most of the chapters, you could totally interpret their relationship as best friends who are sharing an apartment for college (literal roommates). It isn't until later where there are some cracks in the dialogue that hint at a taboo where the sibling relationship becomes more evident. And then later it's revealed that they were raised together in the same household, so logically they'd have to be step or foster siblings at the very least.

I personally don't care whether or not there is Incest though I trend towards preferring non-incest. It's just so common in VNs that it's practically a rule at this point that hot family members are fuckable. That said, more than anything I like dialogue to work in context though and sometimes incest is specifically NOT intended (like in the case of Origin Story). So usually I'll start a VN with the default dialogue right up until the dialogue doesn't make sense without incest, then I'll toggle it on or get a patch.
Yeah same for me overall... some games are written like incest games all the way, but dont have incest to avoid Patreon ban. But its crystal clear that its incest. Most of the time there is a little i-patch for it, or you can set the relations and everything makes sense.

And than there are games where it jumps around like a horny rabbit... shale hill is one of those. Most of the times MC and Leah are acting just like good friends that attend college and live together. And than there are serious incest vibes. Like growing up together with the same parents in the same house. The whole taboo vibe with their relationship. Or that the MC got money for his illness and gives up the money to buy him and Leah a appartment and pay for college... for the both. You dont do that for a "friend". Its like the DEVs couldnt decide if its incest or not... so it jumps between non-incest and incest back and forth. Overall a somewhat "incest" relationship makes a tiny little bit more sense in Shale Hill to me, but with or without incest doesnt matter, in both ways there are just huge problems.

When a game has incest tag AND patreon, i usually look up if its written as a non-incest game, if not i try to avoid those games for now... sometimes the tag is just there cause someone made a i-patch that doesnt really work well for the game. (where the heart is, is a good example) But if a game is written as incest and just avoids it in a ridiculous way just to stay on patreon, the game is mostly ruined. Good example for a ruined game because of that is Life in Santa county. You cant play it with i-patch anymore cause its a buggy mess where my hair is turning grey and without it is just totally ridiculous nonsense. It gets like that if DEVs dont have a plan to write (or re-write) the game without incest but need to.

So more and more "incest" games are not really enjoyable anymore, but well, looking at my play-history, my favorite games dont have incest in them. Shale Hill is not one of my favorites... it just has way to many flaws. But its still a good one.

The D0n

Feb 7, 2020

Agree on the very loose application storywise of that relationship...... the one thing that struck me playing it a few times is how unlikeable the majority of the characters are.
Majority of the time the MC spends being used while having little agency, the majority of targets are untrustworthy or outright hostile and after 16 odd chapters he still sits back taking it.
The ending had better be a banger because so far the only power fantasy in the story is for the NPC's.

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
So has anyone found a reliable method for getting this working through wine? I recently had to migrate to Linux and so far SHS is the only thing giving me problems. Haven't figured out how to get it working.

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Game Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
So has anyone found a reliable method for getting this working through wine? I recently had to migrate to Linux and so far SHS is the only thing giving me problems. Haven't figured out how to get it working.
There is some comments in the crack thread about getting the crack to work in Linux, might be there.

Reactions: Jericho85

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
There is some comments in the crack thread about getting the crack to work in Linux, might be there.
Awesome thanks! Finally figured it out with Lutris.

Since there isn't a walkthrough yet for running this on Linux, this is what I did (hopefully this works for others, but I'm no linux wiz):

Prerequisites:

1) Unpack Shale Hill Secrets into directory of choice

2) Run Lutris > Add Game > Add Locally Installed game
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

3) Game Info Tab. Fill out Name and set Runner to Wine.
4) Game Options Tab. Set Working Directory to the Shale Hill Secrets folder and the Executable to the .exe inside it

5) Runner Options Tab: Toggle on Advanced, set Wine version to GE-Proton (Latest) or GE-Proton9-4, then create a DLL override defining version.dll as the key with the value n,b

6) Save your configurations. Should be able to play the game now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HereIsTheHero
3.80 star(s) 63 Votes