Should Reipatcher and other "MTL" games be allowed?

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
I have browsed several games, and the biggest issue I have is unity games and the inevitable reipatcher issue. People post these "Translated" games that take 5 seconds to throw the program in (which ANYONE can do) and say its translated. When its not.

It would be translated if you didn't require the program to translate in real time, with an internet connection. Instead you have to site 5-7 seconds at least on a bit of dialog (I can speed read, so I'm done reading in a third of the time it takes to translate) and often times important game mechanics aren't translated cause its in a picture or something. I saw someone mention that these MTL tranlsations also discourage higher quality translations down the line, and I kinda got to agree. I haven't seen any of these MTL games really get a brush up translation, as I figure the translators in question simply move to other projects as these games are technically "done".

You CAN drop completed translation files into reipatcher as well, yet I haven't seen a single "MTL'd" game do this. I could accept such games if this was at least done.

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
Ignoring the machine translation itself debate technically just sticking in a online translator isn't allowed for a game thread, the rules...

Games must have an English translation available, this does not include UI translation, and said translation must be available to download (read previous step). Additionally, the English translation must be offline and embedded in-game.

Reactions: DuniX and F4C430

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
It's fine since you can blacklist jap game tag on latest update page.

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
Ignoring the machine translation itself debate technically just sticking in a online translator isn't allowed for a game thread, the rules...

Games must have an English translation available, this does not include UI translation, and said translation must be available to download (read previous step). Additionally, the English translation must be offline and embedded in-game.
I mean, that's why I posted this in Gen. And in the case of reipatcher the offline statement goes against it then, cause you need online for it to work, unless someone went and pretranslated it with the program, which no one ever does. Leading you to HAVE to be online to translate the game, and wait several seconds for each individual line of text. Which might not seem like much, until you go through a cutscene with several and it take 3-5 times longer to get through the scene.

Reactions: F4C430

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I mean, that's why I posted this in Gen. And in the case of reipatcher the offline statement goes against it then, cause you need online for it to work, unless someone went and pretranslated it with the program, which no one ever does. Leading you to HAVE to be online to translate the game, and wait several seconds for each individual line of text. Which might not seem like much, until you go through a cutscene with several and it take 3-5 times longer to get through the scene.
If you know of games not following the rules regarding a translation - please use the REPORT button to have mods or staff take appropriate action instead of making a thread to complain about it.

Reactions: morphnet

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I mean, that's why I posted this in Gen. And in the case of reipatcher the offline statement goes against it then, cause you need online for it to work, unless someone went and pretranslated it with the program, which no one ever does.
Just so you know, XUnity Autotranslator also works offline... Results are just worse if you leave it configured that way by default, then people complain the default translation is horrible.

Learn how to use the tool instead of complaining.
I mean, if someone gives you a shit sandwich for free are you allowed to complain about it? It's the same principle, just cause something is free doesn't give it the right to be poor quality.
Or you can just not eat the sandwich you know, leave it to people that like it instead of complaining, this thread is a shit sandwich.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
I mean, if someone gives you a shit sandwich for free are you allowed to complain about it? It's the same principle, just cause something is free doesn't give it the right to be poor quality.
If you look at the sandwich, ask for the sandwich, go home with the sandwich, then no you don't get to go back the next day and complain!

You can read the comments in the game thread, you can use the search in the game thread and if all that fails you can ask in the game thread, judging by your comments all of that above would still take less time than "you waiting" for the translation.

If the translation is not what you are looking for, there is a request section, there are fan groups or you can find translators offering services for a fee, you could also see if the games are being sold via a western company that supplies translations.

As for "other MTL" if you don't like it, don't play it... I would say commission a translation and share it but I'm guessing that would be silly of me to suggest.

russianbot

Oct 28, 2022
The people of this forum have a real problem with simping, but saying that you should just take the shit sandwich and not complain is a new low.

Reactions: SoulsSurvivor

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
but saying that you should just take the shit sandwich and not complain is a new low.
Shit sandwich is in the eye of the beholder though.

Personally I would rather play an enjoyable game with imperfect english than a low effort game with perfect english... So should we also remove all low effort western games from the website?

This is a piracy website, not a restaurant...

russianbot

Oct 28, 2022
So should we also remove all low effort western games from the website?
This would be a lot more of a gotcha if the sole qualification for games wasn't already that they be in English. You're sat here acting like it's unreasonable to expect that the ONE RULE that is specifically for games actually be followed without any cheeky bullshit. But sure, any hard and fast standards that aren't just "whatever the mods feel like" would mean that all low-effort games would have to disappear.

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
Just so you know, XUnity Autotranslator also works offline... Results are just worse if you leave it configured that way by default, then people complain the default translation is horrible.

Learn how to use the tool instead of complaining.

Or you can just not eat the sandwich you know, leave it to people that like it instead of complaining, this thread is a shit sandwich.
First, I know from experience that you need online for the translator to work (unless the translator has run before, then it uses the existing translation, you still need that initial translation run though), as I've played several games like this. I'd love to not play the shit that people pass as "translated" but people keep posting games I'd otherwise like and I get to open the folder after waiting to download and see it has reipatcher installed. THis is part of why I'm learning Japanese, so I don't have to put up with it.

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
If you know of games not following the rules regarding a translation - please use the REPORT button to have mods or staff take appropriate action instead of making a thread to complain about it.
Well, I've reported a game I know of with this issue, lets see if anything is done about it or if this thread has merit.

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
The people of this forum have a real problem with simping, but saying that you should just take the shit sandwich and not complain is a new low.
I mean the people that accept this shite are the same ones that throw money at "creators" like the Lust and Power dev that literally does nothing but rerelease the same shite over and over again and profit off it. They enable the bs and let it fester. Not sure WHY, doesn't make sense to me. I'm for putting pressure against these things and getting a better standard of content.

Reactions: SoulsSurvivor

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
If you look at the sandwich, ask for the sandwich, go home with the sandwich, then no you don't get to go back the next day and complain!

You can read the comments in the game thread, you can use the search in the game thread and if all that fails you can ask in the game thread, judging by your comments all of that above would still take less time than "you waiting" for the translation.

If the translation is not what you are looking for, there is a request section, there are fan groups or you can find translators offering services for a fee, you could also see if the games are being sold via a western company that supplies translations.

As for "other MTL" if you don't like it, don't play it... I would say commission a translation and share it but I'm guessing that would be silly of me to suggest.
I'm honestly fine with mtl that has the actual translation, some are passable, some are shite. My issue is with several games that have the translation software just slapped in, not even run and you gotta sit and wait for the translation to happen. This is mainly a reipatcher issue, one that CAN be solved cause I've seen add-ons for reipatcher that translates the game without having to run it. Would still be MTL, but at least it would be one that you can actually play instead of sitting for 70% of your playtime waiting for the text to be translated or simply skipping over untranslated text cause you don't want to waste time waiting.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
THis is part of why I'm learning Japanese, so I don't have to put up with it.
Well if you are learning japanese I'll tell you that unity autotranslator is a great tool for it. Why? Because you can press ALT+T to see the original text in japanese underneath at any time, beats every other MTL where you have to blindly trust it because they replaced all japanese from the game.

Also just because the game is using reipatcher it doesn't mean it isn't translated already, in fact some games have fantranslations made on top of it, so it is a great tool overall.

Also if the 2 sec delay bothers you, just ask for someone that played the game to send you their already translated files, but I know how people like you are, just want to complain.

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
Well if you are learning japanese I'll tell you that unity autotranslator is a great tool for it. Why? Because you can press ALT+T to see the original text in japanese underneath at any time, beats every other MTL where you have to blindly trust it because they replaced all japanese from the game.

Also just because the game is using reipatcher it doesn't mean it isn't translated already, in fact some games have fantranslations made on top of it, so it is a great tool overall.

Also if the 2 secs delay bother you, just ask for someone that played the game to send you their already translated files, but I know how people like you are, just want to complain.
I'm using Doulingo to learn, so I'm good on that, might even print out practice sheets for hirigana and katakana.

I'm not saying there is not, just that most everyone I've seen isn't. Most people throw the program in and call it "translated" with no further work on it.

On text heavy games it adds up, and that is a great idea, why not have the person posting it just have such a file in the game in the first place?

Attacking me isn't going to make you point sir. I simply don't agree that a game that isn't actually translated should be posted in a forum that makes it a rule to post translated games only. I am on plenty of forums that don't have that rule, and it doesn't bother me when a non-translated game is posted, cause it isn't a rule there. I know I might have to figure out getting it translated myself. The expectation on this forum is, unless I'm pulling from translation request threads, that the game be in some form of english. Even butchered shite english.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I'm using Doulingo to learn, so I'm good on that, might even print out practice sheets for hirigana and katakana.
Good luck with that, I never met a single person that actually learned a new language from that platform. It just gives you the illusion of learning through repetitive trivial tasks.

And good luck on your crusade as well...

RoseWulfLea

Jul 1, 2020
Good luck with that, I never met a single person that actually learned a new language from that platform. It just gives you the illusion of learning through repetitive trivial tasks.

And good luck on your crusade as well...
They must not have put alot of work into it then, cause typically that's how you learn a language. That's why flash cards are usually a part of learning as well.

And thank you, however it goes I'll at least have said my take on the matter.