Daz Should there be light where no light exit?

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Hello there....

Ok, i got what you said. So i tried that with Gimp and used the gaus blur. Omg, i am using right now the german language on it.
Another problem is, that i am not that firm with the software. I did some things in it but nothing really serious.
Anyway, this what i got out of it adding the effect. Its just the standard really.

View attachment 1948123
Ya, that's almost what I was going for... except I would have probably limited the Gaussian blur to beyond the counter.

I really wish I knew GIMP, but I'm clueless with that program. I tried it before, and I think it was designed by someone who hated Adobe, because there seems to be nothing that is similar between the two programs, lol.

Like, in Photoshop, I could tell you to just use the Lasso to mark off the area to apply the Guassian blur too, set the blur to 3.0 and then, if you really want to get fancy, you can use a layer mask and the gradient tool to apply a DoF effect at some of the close up stuff, like the guys elbow.

Another PS tip for layers is CTRL+SHIFT+V will paste a selection in the exact same positions where you copied it from. Not sure what, or if GIMP uses that system as well. This is essential when using the Spot Render tool in DAZ to fix little mistakes.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ya, that's almost what I was going for... except I would have probably limited the Gaussian blur to beyond the counter.

I really wish I knew GIMP, but I'm clueless with that program. I tried it before, and I think it was designed by someone who hated Adobe, because there seems to be nothing that is similar between the two programs, lol.

Like, in Photoshop, I could tell you to just use the Lasso to mark off the area to apply the Guassian blur too, set the blur to 3.0 and then, if you really want to get fancy, you can use a layer mask and the gradient tool to apply a DoF effect at some of the close up stuff, like the guys elbow.

Another PS tip for layers is CTRL+SHIFT+V will paste a selection in the exact same positions where you copied it from. Not sure what, or if GIMP uses that system as well. This is essential when using the Spot Render tool in DAZ to fix little mistakes.
That helps already.
Gimp is opensource and i assume a big project.
To me it did not matter as i never really used photoshop though its the king in that regard. But since they went with subscription i don't even consider it. (of course there are always other ways)
Anyhow, i think i can do that in Gimp as well. Should not be a problem.

Background is renders as "sun and sky" and the characters as scene as i get a light if i use the dome. Though i lost the background from road to nowhere. But its ok.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Actually, that lasso is too complicated and i am not that good to select the right spot. I will just have two backgrounds. That way its easier and quicker.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Since i wasn't really happy, i tried a new approach.

So here is what i did.
Watched a video and made two plane primitives. Set them a 1000 m away and used 200 candles (lol).
Additionally i took from each character the reflection off, otherwise it looks odd if the body reflects light.
Also, i put the desk there to have the background lightning not light where it does not suppose to but i made it almost invisible.

So anyway, this is how it looks.

desertmotel17_nvidia.png

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I watched the other night a horror movie. Not a great movie really but good enough.

And i noticed. If a scene is dark, it's lit blue but the character receive light from nowhere (spotlight).
So i think that is true to lid your character even if there is no light around.
I kind of found that funny because most people don't even think about it.
I was always aiming for realism but realism goes only so far for story telling. I like darker setting as they challenge me and my skills.
Anyway, i just wanted it to share that. It's just a confirmation of sorts.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
I watched the other night a horror movie. Not a great movie really but good enough.

And i noticed. If a scene is dark, it's lit blue but the character receive light from nowhere (spotlight).
I was always aiming for realism but realism goes only so far for story telling. I like darker setting as they challenge me and my skills.
Anyway, i just wanted it to share that. It's just a confirmation of sorts.
In my opinion, once I learned not to lose sleep over "correct" lighting and realism, my renders greatly improved.
Before, I tried to light the scene only using its actual sources of light, artificial or natural, as it's generally suggested on Daz forums.
Result: dark renders, lack of contrast, general dullness, lack of emphasis on the characters, shadows lost.
I started to aim spotlights where they were needed, not caring too much where the beams come from, thanks to some suggestions from these forums, and now I'm quite satisfied with my shots, and render times have dropped.
Even in nighttime interiors, viewers expect an inhabited room to be sufficiently lit for the comfort of whoever lives in it, so they don't immediately notice that there's something wrong, like the characters receiving more light from a candle than they get from the fireplace. In the meantime, you hopefully gave them something else to think about.
Visual novels have an advantage over movies in that the viewers will often be distracted by the text. Lewd visual novels have the advantage that the viewers are often distracted by the eye candy, too.

As for your horror movie, aiming a bullseye at a character in a dark scene gives me a distinct "old 1960s TV serials" vibe. Might vary from country to country, tough.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

DoubleLust

Feb 16, 2021
So what did you do?

The most issue i face is the damn viewport.
Some of the things i did?

Tweaked the light settings on the scene, changed materials to better reflect light (forgot to change the notepad one the desk, hence why it stands out)

Created a large plane for lighting, used an opacity map to take down a wall
Office and door_Office_BaseColor2.jpg

ripdown.jpg

toyed with light settings in nvidia Iray preview
nvidia.jpg

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
In my opinion, once I learned not to lose sleep over "correct" lighting and realism, my renders greatly improved.
Before, I tried to light the scene only using its actual sources of light, artificial or natural, as it's generally suggested on Daz forums.
Result: dark renders, lack of contrast, general dullness, lack of emphasis on the characters, shadows lost.
I started to aim spotlights where they were needed, not caring too much where the beams come from, thanks to some suggestions from these forums, and now I'm quite satisfied with my shots, and render times have dropped.
Even in nighttime interiors, viewers expect an inhabited room to be sufficiently lit for the comfort of whoever lives in it, so they don't immediately notice that there's something wrong, like the characters receiving more light from a candle than they get from the fireplace. In the meantime, you hopefully gave them something else to think about.
Visual novels have an advantage over movies in that the viewers will often be distracted by the text. Lewd visual novels have the advantage that the viewers are often distracted by the eye candy, too.

As for your horror movie, aiming a bullseye at a character in a dark scene gives me a distinct "old 1960s TV serials" vibe. Might vary from country to country, tough.
Well, the way i "lid" up my characters is with primitives. It's easy, cheap and works.
Though i learned you got to preserve the lights (mesh or otherwise) that is included. Otherwise it looks rather strange.

For sun system i use a freaking sphere. Easy and powerful.
I think spotlights work too but it's more complicated i think. I aim more for easy solutions.

Though movies are a good teaching tool i find. That movie i mentioned was just an example. It's not a great movie but ok. But i thought it is funny how the character was white lid and the surrounding blue. They showed different angles but no light source. Funny.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This is just a test render.
But what did i do? Just a plane on the ceiling barely turned on. A sphere outside for the sun light.
Though the asset needs fixing. The bricks are not aligned in the corner. Will someone notice that?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Some of the things i did?

Tweaked the light settings on the scene, changed materials to better reflect light (forgot to change the notepad one the desk, hence why it stands out)

Created a large plane for lighting, used an opacity map to take down a wall
View attachment 2068068

View attachment 2068063

toyed with light settings in nvidia Iray preview
View attachment 2068078
Looks good to me.
Thanks.
Btw. is that a plane in the window/vending machine? Because that is what i forget always. lol

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018

FdUCKQyWIAMDHUj.jpg

I think "realistic lightning" is the most common trap lot of people felt for (including myself lol), it's quite the logical conclusion when you start. Doesn't help lot of "tutorials" leads that way -_-!.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
View attachment 2073791

I think "realistic lightning" is the most common trap lot of people felt for (including myself lol), it's quite the logical conclusion when you start. Doesn't help lot of "tutorials" leads that way -_-!.
Oh wow, i did not even think of this.
This is so funny.
I assume this is for a night shot. Ponder....
Ok, i have to rethink. Though realistic is subjective but i think casting shadows and lights is what i mean.
Like sun shinning through a window etc...

But that picture is really breathtaking. :)