3.60 star(s) 16 Votes

Buziol

Jun 5, 2017
No, it just simply the choices of the devs, it's easier of how they prefer to make it and how they want it to be.
You missed the point. No one argues it's a choice or not. For all it's worth, you can make a shit in a golden foil and choose to release it to the public...but no one will touch it...I hope...

Anyway, as an author of a book, developer of a game or video producer, you want to have at least some recognition. You want to have some amount of people that will buy your product. Ideally - a lot of people. It is a matter of both pride and simple economic reality. So, sometimes, you need to take into account what's trendy over "muh vision".

Now, no matter how much and for how long we will throw curses into the sky or strike at the waves like Caligula's soldiers, people have preferences and some preferences are more common, more universal.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

its a choice, but its a choice that is sometimes weighed against time and resources.
Basically this.

Reactions: ElliseArt

souldead341

Engaged Member
Oct 16, 2017
I will say this. The soft lock thing can be fixed and more than likely will be fixed now. But I have to add your inability to beat the first boss isn't a gameplay issue its a skill issue. Avoid the death laser avoid the falling pages, step forward to avoid tentacles parry the purple fire balls back at the book and bam first boss fight done. It takes all of 6 parrys to beat that boss so its not a game problem its a you problem and I don't mean that in an insulting way. But saying a game sucks because you can't beat a boss despite having all the tools to do so outside of having your timing on point is just....bad form. Again not an insult but that isn't the Devs doing in any way shape or form.
I'm fully aware of the fact I could beat it, just that it's far to annoying to have to restart the game to retry, when I know my normal learning curve for this type of game. Honestly, just based on the little I did play I wouldn't rate it very high to begin with, partly due to the gameplay not being a something I really like, but also partly due to how the movement and platforming feels. It just felt weird, like I said, which takes time to adapt to, if I can at all.

I also dislike the lack of enemies to practice combat on before a boss fight in basically any action game, which would contribute greatly to a lower score from me no matter what.

So, my theoretical review isn't based on not being able to beat the boss, mostly but my opinions on some of the design choices and extrapolation of the platforming I did experience. There is a little annoyance at the bug, but that's just a bug.

ElliseArt

Game Developer
Sep 3, 2021
Frankly, if you're based on the "hard" games, IMO you really need some time to work out the combat mechanics before a boss.
Thank you for the input, I appreciate the thorough response. Do you have any good examples of souls-likes or similarly challenging games where you feel like they introduced things in a good and intuitive way?

ElliseArt

Game Developer
Sep 3, 2021
Updated the game with a fix for the door bug, link below:

I would suggest anyone interested in the game download this version (0.38.1) instead of (0.38) until the mods have updated the thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

3.60 star(s) 16 Votes