HTML Abandoned Sistersitting / Housesitting [v0.10.0 Fixed 4] [i107760]

4.50 star(s) 31 Votes

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Sorry, my bad that I didn't made it clear. I spoke in general. Still didn't check new update.
Ah, yeah that's fair. But, the sex scenes in the last two updates (Day 08 and Day 09) are significantly longer - if you have the chance and feel like it, consider giving them a try.

If u will re-edit, only don't get stuck in this loop. xD
Yes, for now I definitely do not plan to go back to any of those scenes. This would be in the future, once I feel confident I've improved in writing the sex scenes, and can actually make them significantly better.

Reactions: Feyd

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
As promised, the next that was meant to be included in the current release. It gives more insight in to how Julia is experiencing the relationship between the main character and Sarah. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I do really need to go to sleep - if you have any feedback, let me know please.

Reactions: Feyd

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Fantastic writing. I've been experiencing this a little at a time and really enjoyed it.
Thanks! Glad to hear you're liking it. I worked on the outline of the next update this weekend, and will hopefully start writing the next scene next weekend.

what engine/creator is used to make text based games like this?
Twine / SugarCube (so, HTML and JavaScript). I have coded my own "engine" in it to make the game and UI work to fit my idea of a text-only game (though I am by no means a coder by trade, so it's a bit of a mess ^^).

Xgkk

Mar 7, 2019
I been following this game for more than a year and i dont know if its just me, but i think that it lacks of content. I mean you dont use images like renpy games or videos. Only have to focus on the writting.
I can understand that this can be a side quest/job/hobby for you but, why does it take you so long to finish the game?
When MC helps MC Sister in math you dont have to put in the screen the actual problem that MC sister have. You can talk about how MC helps her doing like a quick summary of the process.

PD: i really think is a good game. relationship progress of the characters looks more natural than most of the games. the contrast between the color of the font and the black screen is horrible for my eyes. It's better to read the diary part of MC sister (at least for me)

Last edited:

m0us3r

Nov 28, 2020
I been following this game for more than a year and i dont know if its just me, but i think that it lacks of content. I mean you dont use images like renpy games or videos. Only have to focus on the writting.
I can understand that this can be a side quest/job/hobby for you but, why does it take you so long to finish the game?
When MC helps MC Sister in math you dont have to put in the screen the actual problem that MC sister have. You can talk about how MC helps her doing like a quick summary of the process.

PD: i really think is a good game. relationship progress of the characters looks more natural than most of the games. the contrast between the color of the font and the black screen is horrible for my eyes. It's better to read the diary part of MC sister (at least for me)
Yeah, I prefer black letters on bright background too. So I created a patch file (attached below). Unpack "css.patch" file from the zip, apply it to the HTML file of any version of Housesitting, and the bg/fg colors will change. How to apply diff patch in your OS:

Thank you dev for keeping up your work on the story. I know inspiration is a fragile thing and I apologize if my suggestions earlier broke your easy mood or chased it away. Don't mind any comments and all that! Just have fun! And it just would be great "to throw the result in the water" meaning to share it with others, but it's all just some fun in the end. Just a story among millions of stories, "better" or "worse", nothing to be stressed about. Thank you, thank you!

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
I mean you dont use images like renpy games or videos. Only have to focus on the writting.
I may be a slow writer, but in general, I think writing isn't that fast. It takes me a good while to write any scene, I wrote once about my process on my Patreon here: .
And that did not include the planning out, and this was when I had more time, allowing me to sit down and work on the project for long periods in a row (I feel my productivity since I started only working on it max once a week deep in the night is way lower, possibly due to being tired, or just the fact that I can only work on it for an hour or two).

I don't have a lot of time to spend on my hobbies, and it takes quite a while to write a story (at least for me). When I'm writing, it's not about how fast I can type, but the majority of time is spent thinking about how exactly to write that sentence, how a character would react, what words to use to describe the scene, what words the characters would use in dialogue.
And then it takes a lot of trial and error to see what sticks and looks right, making it take a lot of time to write a scene. I'd encourage you to sit down and try to write a story, and see how quick it is - I think you might be underestimating it.

At that point I can hardly consider it a story anymore, and just a summary/list of events that happen. I wouldn't find it interesting to write, and I think, most people wouldn't be interested in reading it, either. Either way, I'm glad you like the story, and hope you'll keep following its development.

Reactions: Feyd and Bever3

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Yeah, I prefer black letters on bright background too.
I was under the believe that SugarCube/Twine automatically changed the theme based on browser settings, but in my testing, I see that it does not (anymore). I'll see about including a theme selector on the landing page, like the recently introduced font size selector recently introduced, so that users can choose between light/dark themes.

Thanks for the patch, I'll link it in the OP of the thread so that people can find it more easily until I manage to implement something similar myself.

...and I apologize if my suggestions earlier broke your easy mood or chased it away.
Not sure which comment you are referring to here, but in general, I'm fine answering any comments/questions. Though, I have to say, it's a little annoying/sad to keep reading comments about it being abandoned/too slow updates/too little content when I come back, rather than being glad I'm still around and have been working on the game when time permits. Though, I of course understand people's frustration, so I'll keep answering them - sadly I cannot somehow make it go faster, or I would.

And then I sometimes regret taking the time to read social media, and work on the game in general, but I understand that there are also people who do enjoy what I put out (like my patrons), so I try to not let it affect my mood, and keep writing the story.
For example, I could have watched an episode of Better Call Saul which I've been looking forward to all week instead of writing comments in this thread, and I probably would have felt better about myself.

Does the guy have any hobbies beside cooking?
I believe this is the comment you were refering to, and a comment like this is fine - I appreciate criticism about my writing, and the content of the story, and I'll always take constructive comments into consideration.

As for his hobbies, I tried to show in the story that he pretty much has no time for any hobbies, but he also does work out a lot and swim, and he likes watching television (with Julia).
Based on the weekly schedule I have written out for both him and Julia, I don't really see him having any time for any other hobbies, so him taking pleasure where he can makes sense to me. Admittedly, I do like cooking myself, so some of that might be bleeding into the story - I'll try to avoid any more cooking scenes (if I can resist).

Last edited:
Reactions: Feyd and m0us3r

m0us3r

Nov 28, 2020
:LOL: No, it's alright to write a bit about cooking etc., nevermind. I like cooking myself and have a few favorite recipes which I would gladly share if I was writing something similar. Honestly with that comment I was mostly just trying to poke your imagination, unassumingly reminding you about the Sistersitting and maybe to provoke some thinking about MC, which might rekindle some inspiration and a wish to write another scene or something. So I'm guilty I had ulterior motives ;). Actually I thought that maybe when the writing process is slow and can I say a bit forced, it's because you write being more focused on a ToDo list that on those emotions that give actual birth to your story. (Judging from my own writing experience, which was not super successful, despite some degree of talent). So take comments easy: if they help to get inspired and visualize the story etc., use them, otherwise just move on. Thank you for attentive answers to our comments, but it's alright if you do something else instead. (I hope you weren't trying to guilt-trip people here for distracting you from Saul :p:LOL:).

i107760

Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Actually I thought that maybe when the writing process is slow and can I say a bit forced, it's because you write being more focused on a ToDo list...
I have one general outline that covers the overall plot of the story, then when starting each day, I write out a pretty detailed outline for every individual scene. However, when actually writing the scenes, very often it deviates from that outline - because I changed my mind, or the characters react differently in my head than I was expecting beforehand.

Didn't work on the game last week, but made decent progress the week before - finished the detailed outline for the next update, and got started on the next scene. Plan to keep working on the scene this weekend, not sure if I'll be able to finish it writing it, though (and the editing definitely won't be finished yet).

. (I hope you weren't trying to guilt-trip people here for distracting you from Saul :p:LOL:)
It was just an off-hand comment about thoughts in regards to using social media (and further explanation apart from what I posted on Patreon for latest update) in regards to not always keeping people updated on my progress/still working on the game, which can lead to thoughts of it being abandoned.
I can only once again say I care about the story a lot and still plan to write it, I don't plan on abandoning it. So for people that like the game, I encourage them to just check in every so often, or follow me on Patreon/F95 and just be happy when an update drops, when it does.

Reactions: Feyd and m0us3r

Xgkk

Mar 7, 2019
I'd encourage you to sit down and try to write a story, and see how quick it is - I think you might be underestimating it.
I mean you already have a beginning. If you have a ending in your head for this you can play around that, if not you can write in the middle whatever you want. no one will complain if make sense. From example: MC gets cancer but hide it from MC sister and when she win whatever she is trying to achieve, MC tells her or she found out. Another example: MC starts to be too aggressive as a coach and MC sister ends up hating him.
i know is easy to write from the outside, but if you have in your head where are you now and where you want to go from there you will have more ''freedom'' to make the game reach its goal/ending

UrchinHank

Oct 21, 2017
I mean you already have a beginning. If you have a ending in your head for this you can play around that, if not you can write in the middle whatever you want. no one will complain if make sense. From example: MC gets cancer but hide it from MC sister and when she win whatever she is trying to achieve, MC tells her or she found out. Another example: MC starts to be too aggressive as a coach and MC sister ends up hating him.
i know is easy to write from the outside, but if you have in your head where are you now and where you want to go from there you will have more ''freedom'' to make the game reach its goal/ending
I was formerly a screenplay writer, most often based on existing properties (novels, short stories, novellas).
I have an IMDB page.
FOR ME, wiriting something appropriate for TV shows or movies is easy.
I have also attempted writing novels of my own. I have finished a handful. None have yet been published.
Some stories just flow out of me until a certain point. In general I let the characters take me where they want to go, and where it makes sense for the story to go. In general something like 2500 usable words can flow out of me a day if I'm going to a day job and doing real life in general. That's about five pages after edits and everything else that needs doing to make those words "fit", and to ensure that I am satisfied with them.
HOWEVER there are generally events in life that put a damper on those numbers. An extra stressful day at a day job Ihappen to be holding? I'll be lucky to get 500 usable words, and some days are zero. Some days will become negative numbers due to revisions. Maybe I though of something that changes the tone of the story and pages, chapters, entire sections need rewriting.
Writer's block is real, though in my case it depends much more on the setting, and my state of mind, ongoing stressors, and so on. I was some hundred and fifty usable pages in to a story and had to move residence in the middle of it. I moved some place where writing... wasn't really a thing I could achieve. I forced another dozen pages or so of the story, but that was it. The flow was no longer in me.
While moving house, there wasn't time to write, nor did I have access to my (then) desktop computer to do writing. The moving itself was quite stressful. Getting things allocated into storage vs living space, making sure I had enough money to get by day to day, pay for a new, more expensive place, in a city I did not want to be, trying to get along with housemates suddenly, all of that contributed to a state of mind that made writing untenable.

Most people are capable of writing. Think about essays in subjects you had no interest in for school, were you able to write them? Sure.
It takes talent and skill to write things that interest others. Things that flow, that maintain consistency, and are entertaining.

Sure you have the basic ideas. Can you put them into words in a way that will interest others? More importantly can you do so in way that would satisfy YOU?

I have had the opportunity to take others' words and turn them into something practical for another medium. I know the difficulty involved in doing so, and moreso I know the difficulties in making one's own creation that is enterrtaining and interesting enough for others to read, but even more important, something I like, something with which I can be satisfied.

Xgkk

Mar 7, 2019
I was formerly a screenplay writer, most often based on existing properties (novels, short stories, novellas).
I have an IMDB page.
FOR ME, wiriting something appropriate for TV shows or movies is easy.
I have also attempted writing novels of my own. I have finished a handful. None have yet been published.
Some stories just flow out of me until a certain point. In general I let the characters take me where they want to go, and where it makes sense for the story to go. In general something like 2500 usable words can flow out of me a day if I'm going to a day job and doing real life in general. That's about five pages after edits and everything else that needs doing to make those words "fit", and to ensure that I am satisfied with them.
HOWEVER there are generally events in life that put a damper on those numbers. An extra stressful day at a day job Ihappen to be holding? I'll be lucky to get 500 usable words, and some days are zero. Some days will become negative numbers due to revisions. Maybe I though of something that changes the tone of the story and pages, chapters, entire sections need rewriting.
Writer's block is real, though in my case it depends much more on the setting, and my state of mind, ongoing stressors, and so on. I was some hundred and fifty usable pages in to a story and had to move residence in the middle of it. I moved some place where writing... wasn't really a thing I could achieve. I forced another dozen pages or so of the story, but that was it. The flow was no longer in me.
While moving house, there wasn't time to write, nor did I have access to my (then) desktop computer to do writing. The moving itself was quite stressful. Getting things allocated into storage vs living space, making sure I had enough money to get by day to day, pay for a new, more expensive place, in a city I did not want to be, trying to get along with housemates suddenly, all of that contributed to a state of mind that made writing untenable.

Most people are capable of writing. Think about essays in subjects you had no interest in for school, were you able to write them? Sure.
It takes talent and skill to write things that interest others. Things that flow, that maintain consistency, and are entertaining.

Sure you have the basic ideas. Can you put them into words in a way that will interest others? More importantly can you do so in way that would satisfy YOU?

I have had the opportunity to take others' words and turn them into something practical for another medium. I know the difficulty involved in doing so, and moreso I know the difficulties in making one's own creation that is enterrtaining and interesting enough for others to read, but even more important, something I like, something with which I can be satisfied.
that is a long way to say be quiet, you dont know what you talking about.

4.50 star(s) 31 Votes