Daz [Solved}Q: Render won't work. Why?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
AH, i forgot about the studio drivers. I still have the gaming drivers. Still play sometimes but for DAZ....

Can you switch between these drivers?
I will try and see if it makes a difference. I have to reinstall DAZ just to be sure but will do that on the weekend when i have access to my backupdrive.

Still this is very strange as the scene isn't really special. Big, yes but not too big that the GFX couldn't handle. I mean i had a poser asset that didn't let me render for some reason but a DAZ asset seems strange.

The other day i had problem with my character and i think it was the material which i borrowed from Alla.
What irks me is that DAZ seems not to tell you what is wrong but just continues. Like when i render and nothing actually happens, the time still counted forward.
That knowledge what to do is what i miss. Well, no i kind of know what to do but not really why. It's like reading tea leafs.

Last edited:

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I think the studio drivers have everything the game drivers and something extra for 3D work. Can't say I noticed issues playing games and gforce experience works as expected. You can't have them both on your pc in any case that would only lead to issues.

(BTW use DDU in safe mode to remove the old driver before installing the new one)

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Didn't know that.
Yes, i think in the future i will install this driver then.

I can say, that my problem did not solve yet.
Now i am reinstalling DAZ in hopes i can render again.
For some reason it seems that my character is blocking it. I used to use the Alla skin (bought) which i find really great. But this causes a problem now for some reason.
So i tried different skins but nothing solved. Maybe i am looking in the wrong area. For now, reinstall and hope for the best.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Apparently it is my main figure.
I just loaded the freaking basic her and it works. Now i have to figure out why and what.

I did reinstall DAZ and did the drivers. I went back to 522 studio but that did not solve it.
This takes really the fun out of it.
So now i have to dig in to assets i use on my character.
Btw. can you not use any skin you like?
I will see if all the assets i have work minus the skin because i think it is the skin for some reason. 2023-01-13 12_56_06-Render(1_1).jpg

Looks really shitty with blunt body.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I have to say my world is shattered.

I assumed that any G8 skin would fit any G8F. Apparently not since i ran into problems.
So the next step will be building one with Skin Builder.
Since i chose Krashwerks and their skin looks like cardboard i want some better looking skin for my character.
I tried pretty much all assets that the character had on but none were faulty in a sense. So that leaves me with the skin. And the basic krashwerks works in Iray so there isn't any other option really.
So i went through all the hoops just to come back to skin. Kind of funny really.
My take away is the UV map then. There must be a difference that DAZ can't resolve when rendering. Not sure what that is but you won't get renders if you do it like i did.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, i finally reached the conclusion.

It was the skin.
So here what i did.
I used the original skin that came with the figure as my base. Shitty but ok.
Now i looked on here what i can use to make it better and i found this from recreation whom made this addon Rec's Skin Maker (Alpha) 0.2 UPDATE (thank you so much for making it).
Works perfectly.
I was able to easily modify the current skin and adjust here and there some things and voila it worked for rendering.

This was a journey of some tricky business. Especially if you don't know.
You can't use nilly willy skin from other characters. At least not anymore and the reason why i am saying this is that i know i was able to use Alla skin with other G8F. My suspicion is that something changes within DAZ itself. Not sure though.

test.jpg

p.s. still shitty (MC) but it works.

Reactions: recreation
Oct 15, 2022
Ok, i finally reached the conclusion.

It was the skin.
So here what i did.
I used the original skin that came with the figure as my base. Shitty but ok.
Now i looked on here what i can use to make it better and i found this from recreation whom made this addon Rec's Skin Maker (Alpha) 0.2 UPDATE (thank you so much for making it).
Works perfectly.
I was able to easily modify the current skin and adjust here and there some things and voila it worked for rendering.

This was a journey of some tricky business. Especially if you don't know.
You can't use nilly willy skin from other characters. At least not anymore and the reason why i am saying this is that i know i was able to use Alla skin with other G8F. My suspicion is that something changes within DAZ itself. Not sure though.

View attachment 2309531

p.s. still shitty (MC) but it works.
Maybe you wrote it somewhere (I didn't notice it), but what kind of skin was it? I mean the one with which there was a problem. So if you don't mind sharing this information...

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Maybe you wrote it somewhere (I didn't notice it), but what kind of skin was it? I mean the one with which there was a problem. So if you don't mind sharing this information...
I kind of feel that it is any.

Ok, i used two attempts and both failed for me.
1) figure skin Alla. Beautiful skin. Worked before but not this time.
2) RY Perfectly Imperfect Skin 2
So in the end i stayed with the skin that came with the figure and just modified it and that seems to have not caused any problems.
My conclusion is only based on that fact that i tried everything out when rendering.
Just base figure, with different options. No hair, no1 assets.. one asset at a time...
Buttomline was that the skin was actually the one part that did not work for the render and always stopped the render before the render actually started.
I can't explain why as i don't understand it though i read that not all skin fit the figure you have or something like it.

There is another aspect i ignored but DAZ forced me to lower my figures.

I setup a scene, pretty low key, where i use two environments.
1)
2 )
Really great assets.

But to my surprise, even when using an iray cam, you need to cut them small.
Even then, i need to change my figures to basic instead of HD (when using 3 figures in the scene) to make it work.
I tried the texture reduce process but for some reason the ram used was the same even though i followed the instruction.
So in the end i got this working and this is what it looks like.

tram01.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022
I kind of feel that it is any.

Ok, i used two attempts and both failed for me.
1) figure skin Alla. Beautiful skin. Worked before but not this time.
2) RY Perfectly Imperfect Skin 2
So in the end i stayed with the skin that came with the figure and just modified it and that seems to have not caused any problems.
My conclusion is only based on that fact that i tried everything out when rendering.
Just base figure, with different options. No hair, no1 assets.. one asset at a time...
Buttomline was that the skin was actually the one part that did not work for the render and always stopped the render before the render actually started.
I can't explain why as i don't understand it though i read that not all skin fit the figure you have or something like it.

There is another aspect i ignored but DAZ forced me to lower my figures.

I setup a scene, pretty low key, where i use two environments.
1)
2 )
Really great assets.

But to my surprise, even when using an iray cam, you need to cut them small.
Even then, i need to change my figures to basic instead of HD (when using 3 figures in the scene) to make it work.
I tried the texture reduce process but for some reason the ram used was the same even though i followed the instruction.
So in the end i got this working and this is what it looks like.

View attachment 2313465
I'm afraid this won't be a skin issue since I use both female skins (imperfect 2, the other one has no number) and I've never encountered this problem. Personally, I think this will be a hardware or driver problem (at best), because it's clear from that image that it's not a very realistic or highly detailed render. I'll give you one of my photos... Imperfect 1 is used on that figure, but, as I said, I've never had such a problem. I only really get through the capacity of the GPU if I overdo it, which means a big scene with a lot of characters and more details. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but at least in your case, it's completely incomprehensible to me that your GPU can't handle it, since we have the same one.

PS: I hope you don't consider anything I wrote to be a discredit to your work or an insult. It probably sounds quite condescending or stupid the way I wrote it, but I didn't mean it like that, and I don't even want to brag about anything. I'm just trying to help, and I couldn't have explained it better.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I'm afraid this won't be a skin issue since I use both female skins (imperfect 2, the other one has no number) and I've never encountered this problem. Personally, I think this will be a hardware or driver problem (at best), because it's clear from that image that it's not a very realistic or highly detailed render. I'll give you one of my photos... Imperfect 1 is used on that figure, but, as I said, I've never had such a problem. I only really get through the capacity of the GPU if I overdo it, which means a big scene with a lot of characters and more details. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but at least in your case, it's completely incomprehensible to me that your GPU can't handle it, since we have the same one.

PS: I hope you don't consider anything I wrote to be a discredit to your work or an insult. It probably sounds quite condescending or stupid the way I wrote it, but I didn't mean it like that, and I don't even want to brag about anything. I'm just trying to help, and I couldn't have explained it better.
Don't mind me. I thought i would but i can't wrap my head around that it isn't working. The last time i rendered that one image, it took all the ram. All 12GB of it. Why? 3 figures, all basic plus the scene. I use one tunnel and one wagon. That's it. Have some point lights on top and a point light outside (for a green light in the tunnel) and have a torus light on my cam for the character.
And still, i hate it. I really do. Because it's like DAZ saying, sorry dude, you can render anymore.

And i do welcome critic. It isn't like i will release anything in the near future. But this hampers really any progress since i am stuck with DAZ itself and it's inability to render any scene with the characters i use.

I don't understand it either.
That is why i am so shocked that i can not do what i did before.
I mean i updated the driver. I rolled back the driver... i did everything i could think off to default that DAZ software.
The scene isn't anything particular vast super ram hungry asset but still i have to cut it down so i can render it.

Then there is the other scene where i used FG subway. I know i rendered it with 4 characters and it worked. I didn't change the figures in any way. Now, i can't even do that.
Though, i did modify the female (obviously) to "design" her in a certain way. So she has a lot of morphs.
But i did not then reduce any figure to basic.

Btw. if you don't mind. What is it that isn't good on the figure. Obviously it's basic so there aren't much details for sure. Lights?
I modified it with less lights (looks better).

Perhaps i will reinstall shitty Windows and start from scratch. Because i don't know what else to do.
So maybe it isn't solved (yet).
Though i will say that recreations tool is very useful.
The female is from Krashworks and their skin is just painful. Blunt is probably the right word.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

Are you using "So sad" morph? I love that asset.

Oct 15, 2022
And i do welcome critic
Nah, I definitely didn't plan to criticize you for anything; it just needed to be written because of the problem; otherwise, I wouldn't have allowed such a thing to be written or to rate your work. I am nobody; I have no right to comment on who does what or how they do it.

I mean i updated the driver. I rolled back the driver
What driver are you using? Studio or gaming? I would definitely recommend using the game driver. The studio driver is essentially an older version of every game driver. Nvidia writes on its website that it is a driver designed for people who also work with DAZ. But if you read the opinions of people on some forums, for example, DAZ, no one recommends using it. Mostly because the game driver receives more frequent updates and is a priority for Nvidia.

Well, I don't know if I'm a suitable candidate to advise someone. There are no rules on how to do it, so everyone can do it their way. But if I had to write something... I would move the camera closer to the main character, but with the character standing behind her and the one sitting partially visible. To have a better effect, I would use DOF and only focus on the main character (at least the part that DOF allows you to do). Since you added that green light there, it would have a good effect in the background, and I might add a bit of luminance to it overall to make it stand out in the DOF. I'm assuming that one light is above the main character because it's quite bright. I would probably put the light away and create one in front of her so that it gently illuminates her eyes (if you decide to move the camera closer). But that might just be my quirk; I like the camera to be close to the character, but that might not suit everyone.

Are you using "So sad" morph? I love that asset.
Yes, I use it. I've actually had it since the beginning, when I started working at DAZ. But overall, I only used it a few times.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Nah, I definitely didn't plan to criticize you for anything; it just needed to be written because of the problem; otherwise, I wouldn't have allowed such a thing to be written or to rate your work. I am nobody; I have no right to comment on who does what or how they do it.

What driver are you using? Studio or gaming? I would definitely recommend using the game driver. The studio driver is essentially an older version of every game driver. Nvidia writes on its website that it is a driver designed for people who also work with DAZ. But if you read the opinions of people on some forums, for example, DAZ, no one recommends using it. Mostly because the game driver receives more frequent updates and is a priority for Nvidia.

Well, I don't know if I'm a suitable candidate to advise someone. There are no rules on how to do it, so everyone can do it their way. But if I had to write something... I would move the camera closer to the main character, but with the character standing behind her and the one sitting partially visible. To have a better effect, I would use DOF and only focus on the main character (at least the part that DOF allows you to do). Since you added that green light there, it would have a good effect in the background, and I might add a bit of luminance to it overall to make it stand out in the DOF. I'm assuming that one light is above the main character because it's quite bright. I would probably put the light away and create one in front of her so that it gently illuminates her eyes (if you decide to move the camera closer). But that might just be my quirk; I like the camera to be close to the character, but that might not suit everyone.

Yes, I use it. I've actually had it since the beginning, when I started working at DAZ. But overall, I only used it a few times.
Really. I don't mind because i can only learn.
Yes, there is no golden rule so to speak but you point about the scene is a good one.

When i setup a scene i usually like to show the full character. Takes less time to render as well.
Closeup's are of course needed as well and i see some games, not sure if a lot where the scene is flashed with light where there are not left any nuances. So i like to avoid that. I usually struggle with the viewport. It's good enough to get an idea but the render usually look different than the viewport.

I took a lesson from the "game developer" channel on youtube and made this torus light that you can mount on the camera. It works actually quite well for the right lights projected to the character.

AS far as DOF, i use it all the time. Though i think for that scene i should maybe have a more closer look. But i think one scene where you see everything is ok.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
there is a warning sign toshiba hard drive is that a new drive or old

I have alia here fast renders I don't have the other assets

5.1 gb 1920x1080
View attachment 2313766
5.6 gb vram 1920x1080
View attachment 2313767
6.5 gb vram 1920x1080
View attachment 2313768

she says ram instead of vram when someone says ram I think of ddr3/4/5 memory
Oh, the Toshiba is my backup drive. External.

I will scrap everything. So reinstall Windows and then go from there.
Perhaps there is something corrupt i am not aware off.
Or, something within DAZ changed but then, others should have the same problem which isn't true.
I think the system i have should be more than capable to all the things. So something is afoot.
Not sure what it is though.
So let's clean windows and go from there.

BzPz

Jan 16, 2022
The last time i rendered that one image, it took all the ram. All 12GB of it.
The Iray Cam is good at cutting everything off that's not in the viewport, but most of the time there is plenty of stuff in the viewport that is hidden behind other objects (especially clothing).

Anything in the scene that is tagged as visible in the "Scene" tab will be processed for rendering.
Opacity at 0 still counts as visible.
Polygons hidden with the Geometry Tool still count as visible I think, best to delete them.

A single G8 model has loads of textures, if any parts of the body are covered by clothes, just set them as Hidden.
That dude grabbing his crotch should be a floating head and hands for example.
Underwear that's covered by other clothes can be hidden, stuff behind a panel not visible from the camera can be hidden.
You could have some differences in shadows and lighting, but nothing too big.

Also, could help if you have multiple of the same props.