Daz [Solved}Q: Render won't work. Why?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
The Iray Cam is good at cutting everything off that's not in the viewport, but most of the time there is plenty of stuff in the viewport that is hidden behind other objects (especially clothing).

Anything in the scene that is tagged as visible in the "Scene" tab will be processed for rendering.
Opacity at 0 still counts as visible.
Polygons hidden with the Geometry Tool still count as visible I think, best to delete them.

A single G8 model has loads of textures, if any parts of the body are covered by clothes, just set them as Hidden.
That dude grabbing his crotch should be a floating head and hands for example.
Underwear that's covered by other clothes can be hidden, stuff behind a panel not visible from the camera can be hidden.
You could have some differences in shadows and lighting, but nothing too big.

Also, could help if you have multiple of the same props.
Well, i reinstalled really everything.
So far, it seems i can render with no problem.

Well, it has been quite a journey. It's true that you have lots of things in the scene that are hidden in a way. But most of them are small things that should break it. At least i think.

What i am doing now is, to re-create the scenes that i had envisioned.
Since i build my sources for assets in DAZ a little differently, most, if not all, scenes are broken. Not a problem. Just need to reload them and re-add the assets.
I try to relay more in "free" assets than before. As i mentioned, DeviantArt has some nice freebies that can be used. Most if not all have no real restrictions.
And i will build my own rooms.
Usually the hardest environment for me are outdoors. Indoor you can just focus on a small spot for a scene and cut items out of the scene without anyone noticing but for outdoor it's more complicated. Like when you point the cam to someone walking down the street. The whole street will be in the view to the end.
Then there is the problem of devoid outdoors when you only render your MC and some other figures that play a role in your story.
I did try at on point these billboards but found them to be such a big asset and so little figures that it wasn't really worth it.
Unreal has a nice addon with population but i think that wont run in DAZ. Instead i will add just generic G8's and have them black with no clothing. They are just fillers and suppose to just give you the impression that there are people.
One game i played, i think it was "tommi wanna get married" used some sex scenes with undefined characters. Like blue or something and only the action mattered. I think this is actually a good strategy if you want to portrait a rape scene for example.

In any case, i can load my scene with a "new" character that is HD. I will try to remake my dudes that i had used and have them HD as well.

Thanks for mentioning the addon. Never heard about it but i don't usually look into many addons.
For now, i have to reimagine the scene itself and how to establish the character to the player.
But i have to make sure that ever render will work fine. So that calibrating of the scene will be very important. Lights especially.

This is how my directory in DAZ looks like.
Works for me well. More organized.
2023-01-16 10_06_22-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Btw. I noticed that it takes now a long time. I mean a very long time while rendering.
Specifically the time it takes to update and retrieve information.
I have a simple scene with 3 characters. Of course they have their cloths and what not but this takes alone already about 6 minutes before it starts actually rendering.
Is it only with my comp or does anyone have the same waiting time?
It is a dimmer scene but the characters are lighted. I think when i started this was quicker. There isn't any environment except for a plane on the floor. Of course all figures are HD and this scene takes about 6GB of Vram (specific).