Steam moving forward with plans to allow explicit games

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Just here sharing another link (basically same story, courtesy Ars Technica).

I still prefer GOG over Steam (most/all GOG titles are DRM Free) but I get that Steam is popular with a lot of people that don't care about the whole DRM thing.
DRM sucks from many points of view, but Steam is just too convenient. The prices are just too good to skip and you get an orderly library of games, a centralized and not too intrusive hub that doesn't have the inconvenience of cluttering your room with disc cases you won't open for years.

Sincerely, I have yet to try GOG because it came around when I already had quite the Steam library, so the inertia was strong in Steam's favour. Ideally, in my opinion, the best scenario for the end-user would be a centralized open-source authority that archives every game released and allows users with legitimate licenses to download them.
But that would require resources, effort and consent from IP owners so it won't ever happen.
Ironically, it will be the owners of IPs to spell the ultimate fate of their products: they will be lost because they won't allow people to archive them for posterity.

Reactions: Sartan