Seeking Story-driven games

Mar 16, 2022
There are so many adult games with a bland story and tropes being used way too many times. I'm having a hard time finding the gems among the junk. Even so I've found a few that stand out:

I'm not really into sandbox or rpg style games. I prefer visual novels made with Ren'Py (or similar mechanics / ui as in typical Ren'Py games).

Any other recommendations people??

feier

Donor
Aug 27, 2021
I love Eternum, forgot to include it in the list. I've tried Once In a Lifetime, but couldn't get into it. It might be something about the visuals I think. Is it worth another try?
Yes absolutely. Once in a Lifetime is the first game from the developer Eternum, so the story and humor are great

TheimmortalP

Jan 4, 2019
Have you played Rebirth, Melody, and Something to write about: the Author? THey're 3 of my faves, and I can't recommend them enough.

Also, I started playing Life With Mary last night, and was blown away by the dialogue, and how compelling I found the characters. It looks really dated, but if you just wanna read a lot of really great dialogue, this nails it.

TheimmortalP

Jan 4, 2019
Also, here's everything that's been recommended to me for the compelling characters.

Something to Write About: The Author
Pine Falls
Triangle
Retrieving the Past
Love of Magic
The Warrior's Heart

Lancaster Boarding House
Twists of My Life

Love of Magic
SWe1: The Warrior's Heart

Stuff that's been completed from the lasy year or so that people have recommend to me:
Deliverance
Sorcerer
Once in a Lifetime
A Date With Emily
Foul Play, if you don't mind yuri

The anomalous Dr. Vibes
If you're ok with a lesbian exhibitionism story, you might have also a try with Sunville.

also:

For Love of Magic, only Book 1 (out of 3) is done. It's up on Steam, while I work on Book 2 (I'm on the penultimate act now, so... soonish), then I move onto Book 3. The books are designed to be thematically complete, but contiguous (similar to books and movies).

Reactions: forgetmaster
Mar 16, 2022
Have you played Rebirth, Melody, and Something to write about: the Author? THey're 3 of my faves, and I can't recommend them enough.
I've played the last two and enjoyed them both. I'm not familiar with Rebirth beyond hearing the title before, so I'll give it a go once I've played through Estate: Dominate (which is a very interesting game for sure).

Also, I started playing Life With Mary last night, and was blown away by the dialogue, and how compelling I found the characters. It looks really dated, but if you just wanna read a lot of really great dialogue, this nails it.
I'll be sure to try that one too. Thanks so much for the recommendations. :)

aura95

Jun 8, 2020
Love these story-centric lists. Seems there's a lot more left to discover for me than I thought.

And as in a similar thread recently, I'll add these favourites of mine to the recommendations:

Price of Power - (unfinished) - Focused on the development of a single couple's relationship and their medieval adventures
Pale Carnations - (unfinished) - MC starts working for the leadership of a high class brothel; deeper than one might think at first.

And if you're fine with games that are a bit on the lighter side in terms of amounts of smut there are also:

Oathbreaker 1 - (complete) & Oathbreaker 2 - (presumably one update away from being finished) - Female warlock MC gets entangled in the politics of a high fantasy world, finding friends and lovers on the way. Recommended to play part one first, despite the worse art, as the start of two will confuse you with its many characters and factions otherwise.
A Summer's End - (complete) - Lovely, slightly melancholic lesbian romance set in 1980's Kong Kong

€dit:
once I've played through Estate: Dominate (which is a very interesting game for sure)
Not too much into the femdom genre, but still I'll say that one is a gem definitely worth playing (and re-playing!). Too bad the author seems to have stopped further development...

Also just remembered two more games:
Ladykiller in a Bind - (complete) -Certainly a classic if you're into lesbian content. I seem to remember disliking qutie a few of the characters, though certainly not due to bad writing.
Light of my Life - (unfinished) - If you're ok with father / daughter (not loli though thankfully) pairings and the rather unique art stlye, this one develops its relationships quite nicely and is worth a look, I think.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022
Price of Power - (unfinished) - Focused on the development of a single couple's relationship and their medieval adventures
This one looks good, I'll definitely try it.

Pale Carnations - (unfinished) - MC starts working for the leadership of a high class brothel; deeper than one might think at first.
I already played it several times. It's an awesome game even though I'm not the biggest fan of Honey Select models. At least the girls still look way hotter than the mc does. Despite all that, the content more than makes up for it.

Ladykiller in a Bind - (complete) -Certainly a classic if you're into lesbian content. I seem to remember disliking qutie a few of the characters, though certainly not due to bad writing.
Interesting. Who can resist girls tying up other girls?? :D

Light of my Life - (unfinished) - If you're ok with father / daughter (not loli though thankfully) pairings and the rather unique art stlye, this one develops its relationships quite nicely and is worth a look, I think.
I've actually played this one, but it's been a while. I don't remember all of the story, but I did like it. I might have to play through it one more time..

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
Overlord H - This dev knows how to build good parodies, if you are looking for a harem VN with a good story, this is my first indication.

Legacy of Hestia - The same. I'm waiting until there's pregnancy content to play this one, but considering this is from the same dev, the quality should be the same. This one is more focused on the m/f, vanilla romance, which suits my taste. If you're into it, you might like this one a lot.

Mar 16, 2022
Overlord H - This dev knows how to build good parodies, if you are looking for a harem VN with a good story, this is my first indication.

Legacy of Hestia - The same. I'm waiting until there's pregnancy content to play this one, but considering this is from the same dev, the quality should be the same. This one is more focused on the m/f, vanilla romance, which suits my taste. If you're into it, you might like this one a lot.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to try them both.