Daz Strange Spot on the Forehead

MajorGrimbly

Nov 6, 2017
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with kind of an odd issue. In this image, you can see a weird cluster of just black in the middle of the forehead. I can't seem to fix that. When I first tried to render the image, I let it go for close to 20 hours and that black spot stayed the same size the entire time. There's nothing in the scene that comes anywhere close to her forehead and nothing in the the pre-render to suggest I'll have a problem. For reference sake, I also included an image of her forehead from the texture shaded preview and you can see there's no visual indication as to a problem. However, it does show up in the IRAY preview.

(Let me know if better pictures are required).

Does the fact that it shows up only in IRAY preview suggest it's an IRAY problem? Do I have something set wrong? Or could it be a lighting issue? I had a light pointed at her face and cranked really high and it didn't make a difference, but I'm a total novice, so I could have missed something obvious.

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
I've seen this happen with figures that were too far off the center of a scene, or when the skullcap of the hair interferes with the model.

There about the problem . I generally build my scenes around a figure at a world position of 0,0,0 and move my sets around, instead of moving the figure in the set. Haven't had much trouble with those black posts ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa Ernie

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
I think it's the skullcap of the hair. Play around with the sale settings in the parameters tab for the hair mesh. Had that a few times, and that was how I solved it.

MajorGrimbly

Nov 6, 2017
Cheers! Played around with the hair parameters and got rid of the icky black dot. I wasn't aware about the potential off-centre issue you mentioned, Perverteer, but that's a solid tip. I'll keep it in mind going forward.

DrPinkCake

Cake Baker
Game Developer
Nov 13, 2018
Yup, it's the skullcap. It's clipping and causing that spot. There's a way to solve this though, I use it all the time and even save my characters with the solution.

1. Select the hair
2. Select the geometry tool
3. Select a polygon on the forehead and press Ctrl+'+' to select adjacent polygons.
4. Right click> Visibility > Hide polygons.
5. Rinse repeat until you have hidden the forehead polygons.
6. Right click and delete the hidden polygons (very important step as the hidden polygons are only hidden during the current session. Deleting them is permanent.).
7. Save your character as a scene subset and never have the problem again.

MajorGrimbly

Nov 6, 2017
Yup, it's the skullcap. It's clipping and causing that spot. There's a way to solve this though, I use it all the time and even save my characters with the solution.

1. Select the hair
3. Select a polygon on the forehead and press Ctrl+'+' to select adjacent polygons.
6. Right click and delete the hidden polygons (very important step as the hidden polygons are only hidden during the current session. Deleting them is permanent.).
Stay golden, Doctor. That's insanely handy.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I generally build my scenes around a figure at a world position of 0,0,0 and move my sets around, instead of moving the figure in the set. Haven't had much trouble with those black posts ever since.
Doing the same. Grouped the entire scene so that it can be moved around the character. The sad things is: In the 4.11 beta this problem is even worse. (old post with 4.10/4.11 comparison - lower part) I had to switch back to 4.10 for some renders. *sigh*

I absolutely hate this workaround. I can't lock my important cameras in place because they are in the scene-group and have to move with the scene ... if I forget to unlock them and move the scene this can f*&% up the scene ... so I have to extra careful to not accidentally move a camera when switching back and forth between 'Perspective View' and 'Cam YX'. It's terrible workflow. I've also updated the Beta to 4.11.0.382 since the post I've linked above - the problem persists.

Reactions: Perverteer

Whocares65

Jul 26, 2020

1. Select the hair
Great advice from DPC, but one thing to note: when you edit the geometry of an object, all data about the modified object is kept in your scene, which causes the . This may be fine if the thing you're modifying will not be used in any other scene, but for a character that's obviously not the case. Every scene you bring that character (more precisely their hair) into will inherit this size.

The solution (outlined in the link) is to save your modified hair as a Figure/Prop. Doing so shaved the size of my chargen DUF from >50 MB to ~200 KB.