3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
i am now optimizing the curtains with the rings on them than i will redo the export obj part and import and safe as prop thx for the help people ;)
would you like to see the end result?
Always!

zipzinger

Aug 13, 2018
this is the result
obj is more shining but i can readjust all tectures saperatly
now all that is left to do is import it as a prop and i have wasted 4 houres of my life again XD
btw this is mostly made with only primitives
curtains.png
ezgif-1-523d1013dc12.gif

Reactions: recreation

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Hmm, which object are we talking about? And maybe instancing would help?
The object is a large standing mirror. It's unique in the scene. I already use instancing for other furniture.

I've solved the "rotation with shader"-problem with the help of this:

[rant]I have to say ... god f*cking damn it! The ShaderMixer has by far the worst usability I've ever seen in any kind of software ever. One has to search every 'brick' by hand. I've used Blueprints in Unreal Engine many years ago and they had a perfect search function for that. Everybody always complains about Blender, but even that has a node-search![/rant]

Anyway, I've tested texture rotation on a cube in a new scene now. The bricks inside the pink area got added and I can set the rotation under User Parameters:
Important - rotation is only visible in Iray-mode.
ShaderMixer Iray Rotation.png
I hope my theory works and it does actually save precious VRAM ... needs testing.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
[rant]I have to say ... god f*cking damn it! The ShaderMixer has by far the worst usability I've ever seen any kind of software ever. One has to search every 'Brick' by hand. I've used Blueprints in Unreal Engine many years ago and they had a perfect search function for that. Everybody always complains about Blender, but even that has a node-search![/rant]
That's the reason why I've been avoiding it as good as possible for the longest time^^
Let me know if it works ;)

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
I installed the latest build of Daz 4.11 Beta earlier today and now when rendering either get a totally blank or a black screen. This also happens on older scenes that worked yesterday and before. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Edit: Figured out what was wrong - Badly outdated nVidia drivers. Seems to be working fine now.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
@recreation
I can now confirm the rotation with the shader does use less VRAM. To test this I've created 2 scenes with 2 cubes using a 1024x1024 texture.

Scene 1:
  • left cube IrayUber + texture 1
  • right cube IrayUber + texture 2 (manually rotated texture 1)
    • Texture memory consumption: 8 MiB for 2 bitmaps (device 0)
    • Materials memory consumption: 27.3281 KiB (GPU)
Scene 2:
  • left cube IrayUber + texture 1
  • right cube rotation shader using texture 1
    • Texture memory consumption: 4 MiB for 1 bitmaps (device 0)
    • Materials memory consumption: 27.3281 KiB (GPU)
Scene 2 also renders faster. But that's probably because my custom rotation shader is not based on the IrayUber shader ... that one is more complex. For a fair speed comparison I will have to add my rotation-bricks to the IrayUber shader. If I find the time to do that and share it.

New topic:
Have other DAZ users here ever had these kind of problems with Iray?
  • haircap shows weird patterns when rendered
  • black eyes
  • other corrupt weird patterns when wearing tight clothes
Today I found out why that happens. It's ridiculous:
  • moving a character away from the world center triggers this!
Related posts in the DAZ forum: +

Both DAZ 4.10 stable and the latest beta are affected by this. But it's clearly worse in the beta.

4.10 stable - stockings start to corrupt
corrupt lisa z-1000 DAZ 4.10stable.png
4.11.0.355 beta - black eyes
corrupt lisa z-1000 DAZ 4.11.0.335beta.png
In both versions the character renders perfectly when moved to 0,0,0.
Edit 2019-06-12: ALL current DAZ Versions are buggy. Moving to 0,0,0 helps A LOT but even in 4.10@0,0,0 some scenes show small glitches.

Now what am I suppose to do to fix or work around this?
I need to place a character near z=-1000! Rendering at this location results in corrupt materials and black eyes.
The only possible way that I can think of is: I need to 're-center' the entire very complex scene to this location. Seriously? I don't have time for this s*it. I've never been so frustrated with this software. Even at z=-100 I can spot some things starting to corrupt.

My guess is, this has something to do with floating point precision in a 3D space. If I remember correctly the highest precision is near 0,0,0 ... but don't quote me on that.

Edit: In 4.11 even at 0,0,0 far away posed body parts show corruption upon closer inspection. *sigh*

Last edited:

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Now what am I suppose to do to fix or work around this?
I need to place a character near z=-1000! Rendering at this location results in corrupt materials and black eyes.
The only possible way that I can think of is: I need to 're-center' the entire very complex scene to this location. Seriously? I don't have time for this s*it. I've never been so frustrated with this software. Even at z=-100 I can spot some things starting to corrupt.
Just select the entire scene and place into a group. You can then move the whole group to get the character at 0,0,0.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Guys i'm trying to make a pale using the surfaces tab, but every time i try to edit the transmitted color white dots start to pop up. Anyway i have to say this is the first time that i play around with the surface tab, could someone tell me where i can find a tutorial that explain just the basics the rest i can figure it out myself

Original color
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000Skin1.png

Edited color
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000Skin2.png

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
Hi everyone! It was pointed out to me that I should ask my stupid questions here!
I can't figure out how to work with lights in DAZ. I watched couple tutorials on that, but when I apply it, it just doesn't work... First I did couple renders in a room without the ceiling. And they look nice and bright (maybe too bright...). Now I added a roof and a light. But it is very dark... Here is 2 prerenders:
question.png question2.png
There I have 1000 lumens and 5000000 lumens... But it still doesn't make much light. What am I doing wrong? HELP!

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Hi everyone! It was pointed out to me that I should ask my stupid questions here!
I can't figure out how to work with lights in DAZ. I watched couple tutorials on that, but when I apply it, it just doesn't work... First I did couple renders in a room without the ceiling. And they look nice and bright (maybe too bright...). Now I added a roof and a light. But it is very dark... Here is 2 prerenders:
View attachment 289130 View attachment 289131
There I have 1000 lumens and 5000000 lumens... But it still doesn't make much light. What am I doing wrong? HELP!
A fellow f95 user, which i cant remember his name, once suggested me to lit a scene i was making (a girl reading in a library) with an emissive primitive sphere, you could try it and see what happens.

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
A fellow f95 user, which i cant remember his name, once suggested me to lit a scene i was making (a girl reading in a library) with an emissive primitive sphere, you could try it and see what happens.
Hi! How do I make a primitive sphere emissive?

ViNovella

Game Developer
Apr 20, 2019
Here you go
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit:
I forgot to mention this
Thanks for the great instructions! I did some tests:
It actually works =) I'm just confused with real world values... Normal light bulb is like 800-1000 lumen bright. Here five milion lumen is like a normal light bulb... Strange, but thanks a lot for help!

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for the great instructions! I did some tests:
It actually works =) I'm just confused with real world values... Normal light bulb is like 800-1000 lumen bright. Here five milion lumen is like a normal light bulb... Strange, but thanks a lot for help!
Oh yeah i forgot to mention you should change the luminance unit if you get extremely big numbers. Just try to change it from cd/m^2 to Kcd/^2... now i dont remember very well which luminance unit was for interior sorry

Reactions: ViNovella

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Guys i'm trying to make a pale using the surfaces tab, but every time i try to edit the transmitted color white dots start to pop up. Anyway i have to say this is the first time that i play around with the surface tab, could someone tell me where i can find a tutorial that explain just the basics the rest i can figure it out myself
If you change the background and the white hole pixels* change the color too, it's the same problem I had a long time ago. Unfortunately I could never find the cause of this with 100% certainty.

*upon closer inspection of your second image the pixels seem to have the background color
  • could be material/skin related, SSS? dual lobe?
  • could be a bug in the older DAZ 4.10 Iray version?, maybe try the DAZ 4.11 beta with the newer Iray version implemented, I mostly use 4.11 and I don't think I've seen the problem in this version.
I rly hope you can fix that and if you find the root of evil, let me know what it was. Good luck.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
If you change the background and the white hole pixels* change the color too, it's the same problem I had a long time ago. Unfortunately I could never find the cause of this with 100% certainty.

*upon closer inspection of your second image the pixels seem to have the background color
  • could be material/skin related, SSS? dual lobe?
  • could be a bug in the older DAZ 4.10 Iray version?, maybe try the DAZ 4.11 beta with the newer Iray version implemented, I mostly use 4.11 and I don't think I've seen the problem in this version.
I rly hope you can fix that and if you find the root of evil, let me know what it was. Good luck.
Actually i found this, if i mess with these five option inside the red box, i get the same result, my char become completely transparent. No matter what i do, the more i increase or lower the value of these tabs the more my model become transparent.
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000Skin3.png
Can atleast someone explain me why? Im pretty confused right now.

kaboomer69

Sep 1, 2018
Okay that seems to be 3Delight? At least with Iray I can't replicate this.
Well with 3Delight you're going nowhere, the technology just can't provide something we would consider photorealistic nowadays.

With Iray, the most common way to make skin look more pale is to simply reduce the Translucency Weight.
Example with a "Light" skin fresh from Skin Builder 8, Translucency Color set to red - going from 0.5 down to 0.18:
Well that is how most of the models from the store are providing different skin tone options, though if you want a proper looking pale skin, you have to create one yourself.

Useful tools on top of Skin Builder:

Altern8 - Skin Shader System - relatively useful presets, at least as reference how to combine different settings for different effects (and more).
Ultimate Iray Skin Manager - Pro mode to control everything yourself, also save/load shader settings externally to transfer them between material presets and to the "Gens".

I also started a thread for my DAZ character creations here, so if you have any design questions about any of them, you can ask there.

Reactions: Nomec104

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Okay that seems to be 3Delight? At least with Iray I can't replicate this.
Well with 3Delight you're going nowhere, the technology just can't provide something we would consider photorealistic nowadays.

With Iray, the most common way to make skin look more pale is to simply reduce the Translucency Weight.
Example with a "Light" skin fresh from Skin Builder 8, Translucency Color set to red - going from 0.5 down to 0.18:
Well that is how most of the models from the store are providing different skin tone options, though if you want a proper looking pale skin, you have to create one yourself.

Useful tools on top of Skin Builder:

Altern8 - Skin Shader System - relatively useful presets, at least as reference how to combine different settings for different effects (and more).
Ultimate Iray Skin Manager - Pro mode to control everything yourself, also save/load shader settings externally to transfer them between material presets and to the "Gens".

I also started a thread for my DAZ character creations here, so if you have any design questions about any of them, you can ask there.
That can't be tha case, since im both rendering in iray, and using an iray skin. but yes i menaged to get the skin more pale lowering the translucency weight.

kaboomer69

Sep 1, 2018
That can't be tha case, since im both rendering in iray, and using an iray skin. but yes i menaged to get the skin more pale lowering the translucency weight.
Well the option "SSS Color" definitely doesn't exist in the Iray Uber shaders I checked, and I've never seen a decent looking character with SSS Mode set to chromatic. Don't know how 3DL is set up anyways.

Perhaps you are using some older materials that were merely updated for Iray; I also found at least one G3F "Iray" skin that wouldn't load in the Ultimate Iray Skin Manager because it wasn't an Iray Uber Shader.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Well the option "SSS Color" definitely doesn't exist in the Iray Uber shaders I checked, and I've never seen a decent looking character with SSS Mode set to chromatic. Don't know how 3DL is set up anyways.

Perhaps you are using some older materials that were merely updated for Iray; I also found at least one G3F "Iray" skin that wouldn't load in the Ultimate Iray Skin Manager because it wasn't an Iray Uber Shader.
Im a bit confused sorry, are you saying that the skin im using is a fake skin for iray?
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000Skin4.png
This is the skin im using by the way.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote