Recommending Strategy/tactical games (including non-ero) with minimal RNG in combat

test011

Jan 10, 2018
Spellforce Conquest of Eo - light 4x game in fantasy setting. Not much RNG. Pretty enjoyable overall. Gameplay focuses a lot on doing quests and crafting, either new units (necromancer), glyphs (artificer) or potions (alchemist).
Mahokenshi - Deckbuilder in fantasy setting inspired by Japanese mythology. There is no chance to hit but you draw cards from deck you assemble during each mission "randomly". With good strategy RNG can be completely eliminated via draw and redraw cards.
Knights of Honor II Sovereign - Classic strategy game with RTS elements set in medieval times. "Soft" remake of classic Knights of Honor from 2005.​

Those are all the recent games that came to my mind with minimal RNG that i enjoyed.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
Spellforce Conquest of Eo - light 4x game in fantasy setting. Not much RNG. Pretty enjoyable overall. Gameplay focuses a lot on doing quests and crafting, either new units (necromancer), glyphs (artificer) or potions (alchemist).
Mahokenshi - Deckbuilder in fantasy setting inspired by Japanese mythology. There is no chance to hit but you draw cards from deck you assemble during each mission "randomly". With good strategy RNG can be completely eliminated via draw and redraw cards.
Knights of Honor II Sovereign - Classic strategy game with RTS elements set in medieval times. "Soft" remake of classic Knights of Honor from 2005.​

Those are all the recent games that came to my mind with minimal RNG that i enjoyed.
Spellforce and KoH2 are noted, though I don't meet the recommended reqs so will have to visit them a couple years down the line. Any card-game with random draws is out though, as they have RNG on what actions you can perform. Unless there are cards/mechanics that allow you to cancel that RNG and make it deterministic in terms of player actions.

test011

Jan 10, 2018
Completely forgotten about this but The Last Spell
It came out of early access yesterday and got a banger soundtrack
It has some RNG but you will be fighting hordes in the 100's so missing few shots here and there isnt that annoying.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
Completely forgotten about this but The Last Spell
It came out of early access yesterday and got a banger soundtrack
It has some RNG but you will be fighting hordes in the 100's so missing few shots here and there isnt that annoying.
Yeah, it caught my eye, will probably pick it up at some point.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
Bump, and Solium Infernum, Humankind and Revival: Recolonization seem to have deterministic damage calculations, though I haven't verified any of them.

Last edited:

nulnil

May 18, 2021
Have you tried Library of Ruina? There's maybe 3 or so cards in the whole game that have wildly varying results, but relying on them to win is a bad idea.

You may want to suffer (like I have) through Lobotomy Corporation first though. The story is heavily reliant on knowledge from the first.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
The Strategic Mind series is another one with a limited damage range and guaranteed hits, similar to Order of Battle or Civ 5/6.