Flynn974

Developer of Stray Incubus
Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Future of the project... (I urgently need support on Patreon…)
Hi, everyone. I have already started working on chapter 1 of season 2 and I was planning on posting a progress update, but first, some bad news...
I have honestly debated whether or not I should write this post, and I ultimately decided to write it after all… So, as many of you might’ve noticed, my latest update was leaked very very early into release on F95zone. Furthermore, you might’ve also noticed that even though lots of work was put in to make nice looking renders, the plot was kind of rushed, wasn’t it? So why?
Well, you see I’m living in Germany now, and as you might know, you’d usually need around 750 euros a month to stay afloat around here. However, if anyone saw my patron count, they’d probably be able to guess that I was quite short on that amount for the last couple of months. That’s why I saved up some money (thanks to my loyal patrons) before I moved to Germany to account for the insufficient Patreon income once I’m here. And I ate a hole in those saving as I was sadly averaging between 500-600 euros a month on Patreon ever since I came here. But I had a plan, which seemed pretty solid. Release chapter 12, get a few new patrons and get to the 750+ euros per month goal and stop eating up your small savings, problem solved, right? Well…
Sadly chapter 12 proved to be quite the handful. It was planned to be way bigger than what it ended up being, but I had to rush its release because my savings were running out and I needed more support, and I hoped with its release I would get that and start being able to chill out while making my updates and not have to rush them. However, thanks to the leak, my Patreon income is still not nearly enough as it barely increased because I was only granted very few days (3 or 4 if I’m not mistaken) of early access and no one had to subscribe. I still don’t understand why someone would pay 35 euros just to potentially destroy the project…
Regardless… Point is, if I don’t get many more patrons in the next few weeks, I will run out of savings in a month or two and will have to take a part time job next to being a student, which trust me is already taxing enough. If I end up doing that, we can all kiss the project goodbye as I well most certainly have no time to work on it anymore.
If you guys care about the project and want it to stay alive, please consider supporting me on Patreon, because I need it now more than ever…
As always, thank you!
-Flynn.

TL;DR: Thanks to someone leaking the project, I will probably have to abandon it in a few weeks if don’t get support on Patreon, if you care about the project and want it to stay alive, please support me now…

joblo9394

Jul 4, 2017
IMO

subscribe for early/exclusive access
volatile
Person leaks it no need to subscribe.

subscribe to support the dev and the project
stable
leak or not ultimately the end goal is to fund the dev.

I am not saying to not offer early/exclusive access as giving something back to your supporters is a good thing. What I am saying is if people like the project there should be a thought shift.

What is the biggest reasons we pay for games, and not just by everything used from gamestop. To support the devs and ensure continuation. I feel the patron module detracts people from that fact as people get to caught up in early/exclusive access.

Basically what I am trying to say is if you like the game early access should be a bonus to you. If you like the game enough to want to support it support it leek, or no leek as otherwise that game you like so much may one day not be there.

Reactions: nyex117

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
IMO

subscribe for early/exclusive access
volatile
Person leaks it no need to subscribe.

subscribe to support the dev and the project
stable
leak or not ultimately the end goal is to fund the dev.

I am not saying to not offer early/exclusive access as giving something back to your supporters is a good thing. What I am saying is if people like the project there should be a thought shift.

What is the biggest reasons we pay for games, and not just by everything used from gamestop. To support the devs and ensure continuation. I feel the patron module detracts people from that fact as people get to caught up in early/exclusive access.

Basically what I am trying to say is if you like the game early access should be a bonus to you. If you like the game enough to want to support it support it leek, or no leek as otherwise that game you like so much may one day not be there.
I think there's a balance to it. A lot of devs have noted that their subs either taper off or actually drop after a leak, so some people definitely need a personal motivation to support. On the other hand you're right that people supporting to support are a lot more stable.
I really hope it works out by I worry Flynn put too many of his eggs in one basket. You need to develop a strong enough support base before you make game developing your sole job. Especially with the massive over saturation of adult games in the post covid world. Then compounding that most of SI's development has been on an entirely free model. Pretty sure there's only been like 3 updates since Flynn opened his Patreon. The amount of support he's gotten in that short time is actually really impressive but it's almost impossible to make a living wage off of this that fast in the current market.

SSJSonGoku

Apr 18, 2020
I honestly think that leaking something early IS idiotic. Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Some people keep saying: "I don't support until a project is finished, cause devs abandon and/or take ages when supported".
Sure, some do it intentionally, but others are seriously hurt by early leaks and lack of support.
Early leaks are really bad in my opinion, when you still have a free tier and such.

Treevatreeva

May 29, 2023
There are loads of people on this site who are patreon supporters of games. I think plenty of patrons are aware of this site lol, where do you think the leaks flow from... and a lot of their willingness to leak is related to their "loyalty" which is definitely impacted by how much of a money grab the game is perceived as. And I am just saying, have soooo many tiers kind of screams money grab.

And Flynn I hear you but at the same time, it isn't your customers' responsibility to finance your choice of living circumstances. Would patrons automatically pay more for a dev who lives in say Dubai or France, versus one who lives in some place like South America with a lower cost of living, for the same exact game? I don't think so. They care about the game quality, regularity of updates, the value of the content in the patreon posts, some care about votes and opportunities to 'influence' the game, etc. Your living expenses not so much. Just my $0.02 so take it for what it's worth.
Sure you can say its not your responabilty to make it so he can afford to live but that doesnt change the conercquies, if he cant afford to feed himself off his work then he will have to find a different job which possibly means the project get abandoned. He doesnt have the following yet to be secure in his job. if people like the game and want content to continue from it they have to support it and leaking it is the opposite of that

Jan 12, 2022
Future of the project... (I urgently need support on Patreon…)
Hi, everyone. I have already started working on chapter 1 of season 2 and I was planning on posting a progress update, but first, some bad news...
I have honestly debated whether or not I should write this post, and I ultimately decided to write it after all… So, as many of you might’ve noticed, my latest update was leaked very very early into release on F95zone. Furthermore, you might’ve also noticed that even though lots of work was put in to make nice looking renders, the plot was kind of rushed, wasn’t it? So why?
Well, you see I’m living in Germany now, and as you might know, you’d usually need around 750 euros a month to stay afloat around here. However, if anyone saw my patron count, they’d probably be able to guess that I was quite short on that amount for the last couple of months. That’s why I saved up some money (thanks to my loyal patrons) before I moved to Germany to account for the insufficient Patreon income once I’m here. And I ate a hole in those saving as I was sadly averaging between 500-600 euros a month on Patreon ever since I came here. But I had a plan, which seemed pretty solid. Release chapter 12, get a few new patrons and get to the 750+ euros per month goal and stop eating up your small savings, problem solved, right? Well…
Sadly chapter 12 proved to be quite the handful. It was planned to be way bigger than what it ended up being, but I had to rush its release because my savings were running out and I needed more support, and I hoped with its release I would get that and start being able to chill out while making my updates and not have to rush them. However, thanks to the leak, my Patreon income is still not nearly enough as it barely increased because I was only granted very few days (3 or 4 if I’m not mistaken) of early access and no one had to subscribe. I still don’t understand why someone would pay 35 euros just to potentially destroy the project…
Regardless… Point is, if I don’t get many more patrons in the next few weeks, I will run out of savings in a month or two and will have to take a part time job next to being a student, which trust me is already taxing enough. If I end up doing that, we can all kiss the project goodbye as I well most certainly have no time to work on it anymore.
If you guys care about the project and want it to stay alive, please consider supporting me on Patreon, because I need it now more than ever…
As always, thank you!
-Flynn.

TL;DR: Thanks to someone leaking the project, I will probably have to abandon it in a few weeks if don’t get support on Patreon, if you care about the project and want it to stay alive, please support me now…
Have you considered opening a SubscribeStar page? I've seen a lot of people prefer Subsribestar over Patreon, so that could lead to an increase of support/subscribers. If you are able to obtain enough support to continue, I would consider reworking chapter 12 before you continue to the new season. If you admittedly feel like you rushed the release and that you wanted to do more, I think now would be a good time to spend some more time on that, since it would have a quicker turn around than a brand new chapter.

Mr_Sel

Mar 16, 2018
I like Flynn's work and I know, I might sound like an a-hole but I have to appreciate the irony of people using pirated Honey Select content, complaining about piracy :LOL:

Last edited:

Dark Silence

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 17, 2021
I think there's a balance to it. A lot of devs have noted that their subs either taper off or actually drop after a leak, so some people definitely need a personal motivation to support. On the other hand you're right that people supporting to support are a lot more stable.
I really hope it works out by I worry Flynn put too many of his eggs in one basket. You need to develop a strong enough support base before you make game developing your sole job. Especially with the massive over saturation of adult games in the post covid world. Then compounding that most of SI's development has been on an entirely free model. Pretty sure there's only been like 3 updates since Flynn opened his Patreon. The amount of support he's gotten in that short time is actually really impressive but it's almost impossible to make a living wage off of this that fast in the current market.
This 100%. Thing is some devs, not sayin any names here, will make threatenin posts about abandonin their games if they don't make a certain amount of money. Then they make the amount they demanded and say the game will release and they never release them. Months later, they come back with a new game and the same shit occurs. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Mr_Sel

Zareem

May 20, 2017
Yep I think only releasing for patrons first is good cos it makes it easier for ppl to realise they can support the creator even if they hadn't thought about supporting him, and they may eventually subscribe. Cos ppl think they want to play the new version all the time, but it less so just occurs to them that they want to support the creator.

Mr_Sel

Mar 16, 2018
Always said that the ones you call " Heroes" for leaking the builds early ruin the games :mad: I know is a pirate site but have some respect for the devs sometimes
It's funny how you make the same assumption as big corpo, that if people didn't have access to the build earlier they would immediately jump onboard and become higher tier patrons. It does not work like that. If someone isn't already a patron, it is highly unlikely that he will become one, just to skip few weeks of waiting.

Early access is a nice bonus but that's all it is - a bonus, not the main reason people support a creator.

Also, it might sound brutal but I can easily name as least 15 or 20 projects on this site worth supporting. The competition is severe and the economy sucks even is first world countries. Expecting you will make a living in western Europe from indie, adult game development, when you can't even legally sell it on Steam or gog because of using copyrighted assets, is simply being not realistic.

My only advice to Flynn is: go back to thinking about Stray Incubus as a nice, creative hobby. If that means 1-2 updates a year - so be it. Don't make it about paying the rent because you will burn out and fast.

Last edited:

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
It's funny how you make the same assumption as big corpo, that if people didn't have access to the build earlier they would immediately jump onboard and become higher tier patrons. It does not work like that. If someone isn't already a patron, it is highly unlikely that he will become one, just to skip few weeks of waiting.

Early access is a nice bonus but that's all it is - a bonus, not the main reason people support a creator.

Also, it might sound brutal but I can easily name as least 15 or 20 projects on this site worth supporting. The competition is severe and the economy sucks even is first world countries. Expecting you will make a living in western Europe from indie, adult game development, when you can't even legally sell it on Steam or gog because of using copyrighted assets, is simply being not realistic.

My only advice to Flynn is: go back to thinking about Stray Incubus as a nice, creative hobby. If that means 1-2 updates a year - so be it. Don't make it about paying the rent because you will burn out and fast.
Except a lot of devs have shared analytics that pretty well prove that early leaks hurt their earnings. This is completely different from major corporations who make more than enough surplus revenue to eat the losses. You're comparing projects that sell in the hundreds to low thousands at best to projects that can sell in the millions.

Reactions: shitass1001

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
While I pretty much agree on the rest you said, putting the development on the backburner without trying to capitalize on the existing popularity is a huge missed opportunity, especially since his plea is reasonable.

If his Patreon income was 50 euros and he was asking for 750, that would be unrealistic. But since it's near the mark, it can work.

At the very least it may deter people from leaking it early, which for some reason that I personally can't understand, seems to make a difference.
Even if it's not enough to persuade people who never cared for being patrons, it may persuade a few to spend a bit less on other games and support this one instead.

Mr_Sel

Mar 16, 2018
Except a lot of devs have shared analytics that pretty well prove that early leaks hurt their earnings. This is completely different from major corporations who make more than enough surplus revenue to eat the losses. You're comparing projects that sell in the hundreds to low thousands at best to projects that can sell in the millions.
Got any links? Sounds interesting from business point of view.

While I pretty much agree on the rest you said, putting the development on the backburner without trying to capitalize on the existing popularity is a huge missed opportunity, especially since his plea is reasonable.

If his Patreon income was 50 euros and he was asking for 750, that would be unrealistic. But since it's near the mark, it can work.
It can work for a month or two, but gamedev is currently letting people go left and right for a reason: people spend less money on games. And here we're talking about voluntary donations. I just don't think relying on this as his main income long term is a good idea, but hey, I can be wrong.

4.70 star(s) 128 Votes