Suggestion for a better way to support developers

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Now I will just throw this little tidbit into the mix for thought.

You're discussing plans and propositions for funding a yet incomplete game, (or even the completed ones) on a piracy forum. Where yes, many games that are featured here get additional revenue from Patreon or other subscription services. On the other hand, think about it like this, one could simply argue that pirates shouldn't ever have to pay for anything as many here are just that. Pirates.

Now, do I agree with these thought processes? No. Not any more so any of the other points that have been delivered to date. I would simply say that if the banking method works for the OP, then let them utilize it to their own capability. Those that want to continue as they have and support devs monthly, let them do so as well.

As an American Dev living in the US, who also has a full-time job other than working on VN's, I would simply ask the OP this. Would you spend six months or more of your time working full time for me, with only a promise that at some point in the future when I feel like you've earned the money, I would pay you? I don't think you would. Regardless of the work being done.

So I will simply suggest to you this;

If you think that the Banking method of supporting your favorite projects is the right thing for YOU, please continue to employ this method. Others MAY find this method worth their time and effort. But please do not discredit the countless hours of work that goes into each "update" for a game. And comparing one dev's work to another is also a habit I would recommend kicking, as not every dev, whether it is one man or a whole team of devs, have their own opinions of what Quality is. For some quality is about the individual shot art, for some its the art of animation, and for even more its the storytelling aspect. Each has their own opinion about what the most important part of development is, and where their own strengths lie.

There are no real standards for quality of work in this particular sector. There is no manual or list of what "standard quality" is. Many of us are simply learning as we go, so comparing the quality of one dev to another is the equivalent of comparing theoretical physics to brain surgery. Sure both are extremely complicated processes but each one is its own specialty.

Now I offer a simple challenge to the OP. If you find issue with anything I have said today, pick your design studio for art, (Blender, Daz3D, or an Illusion product) a copy of the Ren'Py download, step into our shoes and create a unique game, and hold those that want to support you along the way to the same model you have suggested here.

Then, after you have accomplished this, and successfully created a high quality product, would you have any kind of weight to your suggestions about how other Dev's interact with their fans, or how their fans should support their favorite Devs.
Without being disrespectful now: If you seriously expect any user to finance your learning period things are worse than i thought. This is not science. Making smut is not a research project. Those are basically the only 2 areas where there is no actual easy outcome which is why they rely heavily on outside financing.

If you dont know how to programme - start modding something until you can. If you dont know ho to make art - take courses or invest the time and effort before asking others for their money. Take donations and adjust your work process accordingly but dont seriously expect to use users as a financial safety net for what is basically a hobby. You effectively just confirmed all the reasons why users shouldnt support a large group of devs.

Last edited:

Alan3069

Jun 27, 2020
People really have to pay more attention to their subscriptions so devs cannot simply slack off and earn a great amount of money every month. I canceled most of my subscriptions a while ago and only kept the ones to DrPinkCake.

It always startles me that some AVN devs claim to have multiple people working full-time and still be much less productive than one-man team like DrPinkCake.
I know DrPinkCake is a workaholic and teamwork is not always 1+1 > 2.
Feel like it must be them working in an extremely ineffective approach or they aren't even working like 2-3 hours every day:unsure:

Last edited: