VN Ren'Py Summer In The City [v0.13] [FlipDaShit]

4.60 star(s) 7 Votes

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
I think that not enough VNs are using sprites. They can be a great storytelling tool. Also they can be refined and used in a way that makes them superior to whole scene renders. If you want and example of how far you can push sprites using 3D renders rather than drawings you can look at Light of my life. Naughty is pushing those sprites to the limit.

feierflei

Protect pretty exhibitionists at all costs!
Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
And I think it will be easier that way to manage visual variations like tattoos or wardrobe.
It's not just easier – it is nigh impossible for a solo ren'py dev to manage decent customization systems without extensive use of sprites.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

FlipDaShit

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022

feierflei

Protect pretty exhibitionists at all costs!
Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
Holy crap! How long have you been doing this for?
I had to take an involuntary break for a year, but before that... For that particular game, a little over half a year, I think?
Making sprites with HoneySelect is easier since I don't need to actually render them. I doubt I could have come even remotely close to that number using DAZ.
That said, it still took me hundreds of hours, setting up poses, facial expressions, and clothes for all characters; plus manually editing the results to achieve decent transparency and standardize layout. But that's necessary for a complex wardrobe system with 10–20 outfits for each character – which is something I really don't recommend going for if it's not supposed to be an integral part of your game.

Attempting something like this without using sprites would have cost me decades as well as what remains of my sanity. lol

Sprites are awesome for streamlining development, as long as the dev manages to convey character expressions, body language, and emotions through them. Which you are accomplishing nicely, particularly with Summer and Yun.
I only ever see people complaining about sprites if the sprites in question are static or boring (no pose changes/lack of appropriate facial expressions/no outfit variability...).

FlipDaShit

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
Oh, how much I wish I could skip the rendering part, ugh. With the progress in AI and regular technology I'm sure we'll be able to render the stuff we do now in real time within the next ten years. Not gonna be cheap though.

And 10 to 20 outfits? I'm already losing my mind with the four outfits I did, haha. No, thank you. I'll keep the use of a wardrobe system to a minimum for now until I can afford a better GPU and learned how to organize myself better. From an organization standpoint the development of my game is a straight-A shitshow. But as long as it works, right (that's how to advertise your game, kids)?! It's getting better with each day though.

Reactions: damnedfrog

FlipDaShit

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
As for getting a better GPU, you know a Patreon account could help a little with that. Just an idea :)
I already got one actually, approved and all, it's just in hibernation right now until the content update drops next weekend (if everything goes as planned). I don't expect much to come of it, but it's gonna be fun either way I suppose. Besides developing I'm also working on Summer's online appearance. It's all a bit overwhelming to be honest. But since we talk about that, if anyone is interested, I could use some help with getting my discord in shape. It's already running but I haven't had the time to get deep into it yet. So, if any of you know which bots to use, suggestions for roles etc. shoot me a PM.

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
I already got one actually, approved and all, it's just in hibernation right now until the content update drops next weekend (if everything goes as planned). I don't expect much to come of it, but it's gonna be fun either way I suppose.
Oh, that's good. (y)Hope you manage to get a few (or loads, actually) subscribers, but I guess it's a pretty long haul for most devs to build up a following. I'll throw a few euros your way. And did you say, new content? Looking forward to that.
Can't help you with Discord though, not really a fan, but I'm sure someone will step up.

FlipDaShit

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
Oh, that's good. (y)Hope you manage to get a few (or loads, actually) subscribers, but I guess it's a pretty long haul for most devs to build up a following. I'll throw a few euros your way. And did you say, new content? Looking forward to that.
Can't help you with Discord though, not really a fan, but I'm sure someone will step up.
That's very kind of you, thank you. It certainly is an uphill battle in this vast ocean of adult visual novels. But then again, it was never my intention to go all the way with the game anyway. After receiving almost exclusively positive feedback, there does seem to be a demand for such lighthearted, wholesome games though.

Last edited:

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
That's very kind of you, thank you.
I did get it on itch earlier, but Patreon is easier. :)
After receiving almost exclusively positive feedback, there does seem to be a demand for such games as mine though.
I definitely think there is. While games set in a college are not exactly few and far between, games with a female lead are, and even rarer if she is not into guys. The game has a cute and positive vibe so far, interesting characters and nice looking graphics. I think you have started a project a lot of people will like.

Reactions: Hungover00

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Thank you! It's still a loooot of work though. The update after the next one will probably take a bit longer. I'm really crunching right now, but it's still fun.
I didn't mean that sprites don't require a lot of work. Just that they may require less lot of work that full DAZ renders.
I had never create a game, nor "just" make renders, but I have no doubt it's a lot of works.
It's why I have HUGE respect for indie dev like you.
And why I can't stand peoples who have never do anything, but keep complaining/whining because indie games are developed at a lower pace that the one they expected or don't match their dreamed quality.

Hungover00

Apr 29, 2023
I did get it on itch earlier, but Patreon is easier. :)

I definitely think there is. While games set in a college are not exactly few and far between, games with a female lead are, and even rarer if she is not into guys. The game has a cute and positive vibe so far, interesting characters and nice looking graphics. I think you have started a project a lot of people will like.
The vast majority of FMC games seem to focus on the corruption (often external and blackmail flavoured) and exploitation of the FMC, so I agree, this project is a breath of fresh air, where her sexual experimentation is powered more by internal power, and consent remains with the MC. The game being mostly Sapphic is just a huge lucky bonus for some of us.

Even for those rare games with a FMC that is into guys, but isn't being blackmailed/tricked into sex, I still can barely think of any decent male love interests. Guys usually suck, a lot, in these games. Mildly creepy is the cream of the crop for those I can recall.

FlipDaShit

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
this looks very interesting

just a small suggestion, add an option for textbox opacity. the giant pink background covers a little too much IMO
Got it already implemented in the current build. Can't give you a specific date when it will go public yet, but shouldn't take too long.

The vast majority of FMC games seem to focus on the corruption (often external and blackmail flavoured) and exploitation of the FMC, so I agree, this project is a breath of fresh air, where her sexual experimentation is powered more by internal power, and consent remains with the MC. The game being mostly Sapphic is just a huge lucky bonus for some of us.

Even for those rare games with a FMC that is into guys, but isn't being blackmailed/tricked into sex, I still can barely think of any decent male love interests. Guys usually suck, a lot, in these games. Mildly creepy is the cream of the crop for those I can recall.
I'm not as deep into the adult visual novel world as many here on this site, but the majority of the handful of games I actually have played (and often skipped through to be honest) were at the very least condescending towards female as well as male characters. They often felt like mere vehicles to carry their junk around. No personality beyond the surface, no agency when it comes to female characters with dialogues so dry and uninspired you actually hope for the next boring sex scene to arrive so the characters will finally shut up for a moment.

But there are also games I'd consider beacons of hope to end on a positive note. And those are usually among the most popular on this site, so that's a good sign I suppose. Not all is lost.

I'm trying hard to write a likeable male character who will become part of Summer's inner circle, either as a friend for life or something more, depending on which path you choose. Not sure if I'll succeed though... time will tell.

4.60 star(s) 7 Votes