VN Ren'Py Summer In The City [v0.13] [FlipDaShit]

4.60 star(s) 8 Votes

frogbert

Oct 15, 2018
Some digging reveals that "Sumar" (meaning "summer", of course) was as a genderless name in 2023. So, Sumarsson and Sumarsdóttir will start to appear no later than the 2040s...</nerdout>
That's really bizarre. What does the Icelandic government do if you give your child an "unapproved" name? Cry about it? Force government employees to call them something else?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Udayana

Mravac Kid

Jun 5, 2021
That's really bizarre. What does the Icelandic government do if you give your child an "unapproved" name? Cry about it? Force government employees to call them something else?
It's not unheard of for a government official to refuse to register a baby under a name the parents want to give it.

Reactions: Udayana

FlipDaShit

Shitballs Deluxe
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
It's not unheard of for a government official to refuse to register a baby under a name the parents want to give it.
Yup. In my country, extra ordinarily stupid names like "FlipDaShit" would be rejected in order to protect the child from bullying as well as the ridiculousness of their parents and some other historical issues that may arise with certain names.

Reactions: damnedfrog

Gus Chiggins

Jun 25, 2021
Really looking forward to future updates on this one!! Loving the story so far and the potential LI's are very nice looking. Also like that you can choose to not pursue the male!! Keep up the good work!!

• Red Heart
Reactions: FlipDaShit

FlipDaShit

Shitballs Deluxe
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
smile.png
Fixed version v0.11 is online --->> Link

I changed some of the dialogue in order to increase coherence as well as addressing a new feature. You can now choose to play either as a bisexual or a lesbian Summer, the decision will also play a role in the narrative. Choosing the lesbian part will disable any sexual or romantic interactions with male characters. You can still become friends though.

I also removed the score system which was half baked and didn't really add anything of value to the game since it's mostly narrative driven anyway. You will now have full control over which path you want to take with each character.

Enjoy and please let me know if you run into any problems I may have overseen. Or just let me know what you think in general. Love me some feedback.

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
For one I like that you can pursue Felix. I Find that he is well written, meaning that I am not instantly put off by his behavior. In a lot of games, corruption games with female LI, none of the guys usually inspire me to have the MC interested in them. Like those are pushy jerks that do not deserve to get some pussy.

I personally like my relationship to be more positive. I feel like Summer can be herself with him with out judgement, at least up to this point. That is kind of important to me. Games with female lead that can go in that direction, if the player choose so, are rare. At least as far as my experience go.

Also I know I am far from being in the majority but when I play female led games I like it when they can be bi so right now this is right down my alley.

On a more critical side, the fact that you can't click on the phone screen to make the discutions go forward caught me off guard when I first encountered it. Also it pains me to say because there was visibly a lot of thought put into the UI but it gets in the way for the naughtier sprites and scenes. So either make the UI fully opaque and push the renders and sprite up a bit or allow for a transparent text bubble to make the UI as unintrusive as possible.

• Red Heart
Reactions: FlipDaShit

FlipDaShit

Shitballs Deluxe
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
On a more critical side, the fact that you can't click on the phone screen to make the discutions go forward caught me off guard when I first encountered it. Also it pains me to say because there was visibly a lot of thought put into the UI but it gets in the way for the naughtier sprites and scenes. So either make the UI fully opaque and push the renders and sprite up a bit or allow for a transparent text bubble to make the UI as unintrusive as possible.
Happy to hear some love for Felix.

Regarding the UI. I already fiddled around with an opacity slider for the textbox but I ran into some problems unfortunately. I'm sure I'll be able to find a solution soon enough and might add it as a bugfix. I'm aware that the UI during special scenes isn't optimal right now. I'll try out a few alternative designs in the future. You can still press H on your keyboard or the middle mouse button in order to hide the UI completely, just in case you didn't know.

Don't get me started on the phone, haha. I've tried several different phone systems but this one suits me best despite it's shortcomings like not progressing when you click directly on it. I also wish you could click on a sent/received image to go full screen but that isn't possible with such a NVL based system. And I'm too unexperienced yet to write my own code for a phone. If I find a system that's better and caters to my needs, you can be sure I implement it asap.

Kadajko

Oct 28, 2021
I also removed the score system which was half baked and didn't really add anything of value to the game since it's mostly narrative driven anyway. You will now have full control over which path you want to take with each character.
You still have some kind of hidden system working, though I am not sure how it works, but there are choices that are greyed out depending on the choices you make. Any insight?

FlipDaShit

Shitballs Deluxe
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2022
You still have some kind of hidden system working, though I am not sure how it works, but there are choices that are greyed out depending on the choices you make. Any insight?
Yes, but those are purely driven by the narrative. Let's take the photoshoot with Yun for example. Summer asks herself if she's really interested in Yun in a sexual way and if you then choose not to flirt with her then that will lock you out of further attempts.
With some characters you will get a second chance to follow their path in future updates.

If I would unlock every single choice it would conflict with things Summer (the player) decided for herself previously and make the narrative an inconsistent mess. So yes, choices will have ramifications down the line. I will look into the dialogue again and see if I can make things a bit more clear and add a new tutorial at the beginning of the game that will explain the system.

Reactions: jufot and Kadajko

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
It was pretty common in my country (France) for an official to refuse a name because it wasn't French or because it created un undesired pun. They didn't choose another name themselves, as frogbert suggests, but asked the parents to do so. But now there's no list of accepted names, only a few rules, for instance a ridiculous pun wouldn't be accepted, like Simon Cussonet (si mon cul sonnait "if my arse rang").

Hungover00

Apr 29, 2023
In the case of Felix basically the first 3 choices are completely meaningless of whether you smile or ignore / do the upskirt, because as soon as he approaches you, you can just go full on sexual straight away, and why would he approach at all if you've ignored him 3 times? Makes sense?
I see your point for game design, but in reality a woman not giving any positive signs to a man likely won't stop any new advances from coming. Obviously not every guy, but enough to be more than just statistically significant.

Olivia_V

Jun 5, 2017

I'm currently re-writing some parts to make the dialogue more coherent, and I also addressed the forced exhibitionism. You definetely got a point there. Summer will now have the choice (see screenshot in spoiler below) to go naked after Yun explains her point of view towards exhibitionism, which is not sexual in nature. That only occurs if you're not on Yun's path though. If you are on Yun's path you still will go naked with her.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Since you've re-written some stuff anyway, is there a way so that

Hungover00

Apr 29, 2023
Since you've re-written some stuff anyway, is there a way so that
Wait what? I wasn't going to explore every pathway, but wasn't expecting that plot point hidden that way. Now I'm worried. It seems like this game's strength is going to be as a lesbian light-harem, so that's where all my choices lead. That, and default to dom Summer (though pet-play isn't really a plus, but cat costumes always work, so still a net positive).

4.60 star(s) 8 Votes