4.50 star(s) 24 Votes

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
First, what does it mean to have won the space race? First on the moon? mars? created functional shuttles and fixed space stations?

Even if that happened, the effect would be obvious, the bankruptcy of the dumbest political system in human history would be even more spectacular. Especially since we are just (really, we're barely getting started) entering an era where the economic use of space will become profitable. Through, for example, the use of satellite data (GPS or Starlinks), and we still don't have, for example, lunar mining or space-based solar power plants (which would be much more efficient without the atmosphere).

This seems to be the problem with this field, namely that often when practicing alternative history, the most spectacular rather than the most likely scenarios are chosen. And even if we choose a precise point of divergence between the original and alternative timeline (e.g., an alternative history if the Second Crusade ended differently), we must maintain extreme scientific rigor after that point.
I agree.
Even if the Russian had won the race to the Moon, URSS couldn't win the economic war and would have collapsed anyway.
Probably even earlier. Because after the US landed on the Moon in 1969, as URSS had lost the race, they did not continue to squander money in that goal.
But if they had won, this could have encourage them to throw more resources in space. At a time when I don't think they could have made any economic profit from it.
So, unless there is some very SF element (like the Russians found some alien artifact on the Moon that give them an economical boost), I think that to enjoyed that show, you must put aside some logic and accept some unrealistic plots.

Reactions: Burner_Account_1239
Apr 10, 2023
I agree.
Even if the Russian had won the race to the Moon, URSS couldn't win the economic war and would have collapsed anyway.
Probably even earlier. Because after the US landed on the Moon in 1969, as URSS had lost the race, they did not continue to squander money in that goal.
But if they had won, this could have encourage them to throw more resources in space. At a time when I don't think they could have made any economic profit from it.
So, unless there is some very SF element (like the Russians found some alien artifact on the Moon that give them an economical boost), I think that to enjoyed that show, you must put aside some logic and accept some unrealistic plots.
Either way, ‘Iron Sky’ is a GOAT of cosmo-historical science fiction.

Cygnus X-1

Jul 17, 2021
I agree.
It was first a matter of prestige. But I think in the series they wanted to establish a military presence on the Moon. So it was part of the arms race. Not economic reasons. In the film "Moon" they are mining resources on the moon, helium 3, or something like that. It's not unthinkable the Soviet union would use the moon as both a military and mining base. And let's not forget a space port in the longer run. To get further in the solar system, to Mars and beyond. For example the asteroid belt is rich in resources. ;) The problem is to get those resources back to Earth. And if you colonize other objects in the solar system you have a place to go if the Earth becomes uninhabitable. Like after a nuclear war. :whistle: Thus a permanent base on the Moon is a first step in colonizing space. ;)

Last edited:

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
It was first a matter of prestige. But I think in the series they wanted to establish a military presence on the Moon. So it was part of the arms race. Not economic reasons. In the film "Moon" they are mining resources on the moon, helium 3, or something like that. It's not unthinkable the Soviet union would use the moon as both a military and mining base. And let's not forget a space port in the longer run. To get further in the solar system, to Mars and beyond. For example the asteroid belt is rich in resources. ;) The problem is to get those resources back to Earth. And if you colonize other objects in the solar system you have a place to go if the Earth becomes uninhabitable. Like after a nuclear war. :whistle: Thus a permanent base on the Moon is a first step in colonizing space. ;)
Yes, the race to the Moon was a matter of prestige. In fact it was only that: showing to the world, which of the the two opposite political and economic systems was the best. It's why just 3 years after the first landing, Apollo 17 was the last mission. The next 3 were even cancelled just over a year after the 1st lunar landing.
There was no economic benefits that could cover the astronomical :) cost of the program, and the pride of the US was saved...
Even nowadays, it will take decades (and perhaps even centuries) before colonizing the Moon is profitable.

OK, there is still the military reason. But, how a country that will collapse for economic reasons 20 years latter IRL, would have be able to sustain the cost of militarizing the Moon?
It's why, if I ever watch this show, I will have to shut down the little voice in my head that will tirelessly repeat "the premise of that story doesn't make sens, the premise of that story doesn't make sens, ..." :)

4.50 star(s) 24 Votes