Mod Ren'Py Summer's Gone Season 1: The Uncut Edition [V1.2][alain8891]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

bigfuckinE

Jul 18, 2022
Then it's definitely an issue with the WT mod posted here, as the guy who did it also adjusted the transitions. There's no such error with my original mod...
good to know, not a big deal if it's just a transition. btw wasn't trying to insult anyone with what i said, just taking notice. like everyone else i applaud and appreciate all your hard work. also do you have any inside info on why all this was cut? or was it just purely trying to avoid idk copyright infringement and staying inline with patreon rules?

alain8891

Dec 18, 2023
good to know, not a big deal if it's just a transition. btw wasn't trying to insult anyone with what i said, just taking notice. like everyone else i applaud and appreciate all your hard work. also do you have any inside info on why all this was cut? or was it just purely trying to avoid idk copyright infringement and staying inline with patreon rules?
Most of the cuts were done to secure a 16+ rating for the Steam release. He didn’t want the game to be classified as « adults only »…

SweatyDevil

Jan 8, 2022
right after telling Maja she promised you a ride back and she says yes. to be clear i unzipped the game first, then the uncut mod, then cut and pasted the the WT mod from this thread... i even deleted the entire game and went back and redownloaded everything to make sure this wasn't my fault, i mean still could be lol

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/Uncut_t.rpy", line 2428, in script
    show text "End of Chapter 1" with Dissolve
Exception: Expected transition to be a displayable, not a <partial <class 'renpy.display.transition.Dissolve'> () {'old_widget': <renpy.display.layout.Fixed object at 0x000000001868fa60>, 'new_widget': <renpy.display.layout.Fixed object at 0x0000000018639b80>}>

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/Uncut_t.rpy", line 2428, in script
    show text "End of Chapter 1" with Dissolve
  File "D:\VNs\SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1678, in execute
    renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired=paired)
  File "D:\VNs\SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1758, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "D:\VNs\SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2978, in do_with
    return self.interact(trans_pause=True,
  File "D:\VNs\SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3582, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "D:\VNs\SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3976, in interact_core
    trans = instantiate_transition(None, old_root, layers_root)
  File "D:\VNs\SummersGone_Season1_Steam-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3927, in instantiate_transition
    raise Exception("Expected transition to be a displayable, not a %r" % trans)
Exception: Expected transition to be a displayable, not a <partial <class 'renpy.display.transition.Dissolve'> () {'old_widget': <renpy.display.layout.Fixed object at 0x000000001868fa60>, 'new_widget': <renpy.display.layout.Fixed object at 0x0000000018639b80>}>

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.3.23091805

Wed Jul 31 19:01:00 2024
Sorry, that's error on my end. Here's the fixed wt mod file

Hellas

Aug 25, 2018
Thank you for the fix. I was also having this error several times throughout playing the game on my end but it didn't really affect the gameplay nor the actual game renders (I did not keep track of when I had gotten the errors so I can't specify but I know it's the same "dissolve" error). I didn't want to seem like a menace harassing the people that are doing these things for free (I'm not saying the dude who did mention the error is a menace either) so I never bothered to mention it. I figured it was just a minor error that happened while you were making the transitions shorter/quicker. Thanks so much for the fix though.

Reactions: SweatyDevil

SweatyDevil

Jan 8, 2022
Thank you for the fix. I was also having this error several times throughout playing the game on my end but it didn't really affect the gameplay nor the actual game renders (I did not keep track of when I had gotten the errors so I can't specify but I know it's the same "dissolve" error). I didn't want to seem like a menace harassing the people that are doing these things for free (I'm not saying the dude who did mention the error is a menace either) so I never bothered to mention it. I figured it was just a minor error that happened while you were making the transitions shorter/quicker. Thanks so much for the fix though.
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear the error didn't impact your gameplay too much.

bigfuckinE

Jul 18, 2022
thanks for everyone's hard work that went into making this game more enjoyable! yeah it was only at the end of every chapter? I believe. and I'm not saying that passive aggressively, genuinely I believe it was like one frame or whatever, enough to overlook and not hurt the gameplay at all. more than anything I just wish (I believe it'd be on renpy's end) you could ignore all of those same type of errors for the current session.

SweatyDevil

Jan 8, 2022
thanks for everyone's hard work that went into making this game more enjoyable! yeah it was only at the end of every chapter? I believe. and I'm not saying that passive aggressively, genuinely I believe it was like one frame or whatever, enough to overlook and not hurt the gameplay at all. more than anything I just wish (I believe it'd be on renpy's end) you could ignore all of those same type of errors for the current session.
You're welcome and you didn't miss anything gameplay wise. It was only one frame of black screen with narrator text saying "End of chapter" or "Few hours later." and etc. I screwed up the timing of transitions there which resulted in error.

Hellas

Aug 25, 2018
after download where to paste the content of the folder?
Unzip the file and move the content of the unzipped folder into the "game" subfolder of your Summer's Gone season 1 folder.
To uninstall the mod, remove the "uncut.rpy" and "uncut.rpyc" files as well as the "gui", "Benutzerdefiniert" and "images" folders.
This instruction was posted in the original post on page 1 of this thread.

Teal80

Dec 27, 2017
Thanks for the mod.

I would say the dialogue changes are very good though I do have some comments.

The line:
d "(Bella would never let me live in there... I'm actually living in a fucking garbage can.)"
Is pretty much the opposite of the original:
d "(Bella would never let me live that down... I'm actually living in a fucking garbage can.)"
The original being accurate to Bella's personality (and later reaction).

The use of 'whom' rather than 'who' is rather jarring in casual speech. I am not sure I have ever heard a teenager say whom... ever.

There are still a lot of awkward dialogues left and I am pretty sure whatever translator Ocean uses is pretty poor at English "as she is spoke". Speaking lines out loud really shows up the awkwardness of some lines and correcting the grammar in most of these cases does not fix that.

Adding a few more English idioms would be icing on the cake.

Still, a mammoth effort going through 37,000 lines of code, and thanks for making it available to all.

I do use my own personal mod which adds music restoration as well as most of the original scenes. This mod helped me fill in the gaps and spot many more text anomalies. I had planned to also incorporate Sancho's mod, but sadly he's MIA.

Reactions: vireker

alain8891

Dec 18, 2023
Thanks for the mod.

The line:
d "(Bella would never let me live in there... I'm actually living in a fucking garbage can.)"
d "(Bella would never let me live that down... I'm actually living in a fucking garbage can.)"

The use of 'whom' rather than 'who' is rather jarring in casual speech. I am not sure I have ever heard a teenager say whom... ever.

There are still a lot of awkward dialogues left and I am pretty sure whatever translator Ocean uses is pretty poor at English "as she is spoke". Speaking lines out loud really shows up the awkwardness of some lines and correcting the grammar in most of these cases does not fix that.

Adding a few more English idioms would be icing on the cake.

Still, a mammoth effort going through 37,000 lines of code, and thanks for making it available to all.

I do use my own personal mod which adds music restoration as well as most of the original scenes. This mod helped me fill in the gaps and spot many more text anomalies. I had planned to also incorporate Sancho's mod, but sadly he's MIA.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the text would need SO much more work, and fixing grammar, while attempting to make it at least correct on that front, doesn't change the awkwardness you mentioned. But doing more than that would amount to doing a full rewrite, and that would change the game altogether. Don't have the luxury of time, nor the will, to go down that route, though I did some changes there and there as you mentioned.

Reactions: Teal80

Hellas

Aug 25, 2018
Thanks for the mod.

The line:
I can only speak from playing the game with alain's mod.

My preference would be "(Bella would never let me live in there... I'm actually living in a fucking garbage can.)"

Iirc this is the scene where they find rats in their house right? Being this far along into the game, I think Bella actually would not let the MC live in there. But she also wouldn't let him live that down. Both lines seem accurate for the state of their relationship at that point in time and neither are opposite to her personality.

However, I also think the line in the mod is subtly more coherent because they can't stay in that house. In that moment they are all thinking that they can't live in a house full of rats and that they have to leave. So as opposed to just thinking about how Bella would make fun of him for this, the MC instead thinks that yes not even Bella would let him stay there so they have to leave. The same Bella that usually wouldn't let him live this down. It kinda adds to the gravity of the situation but also indirectly romanticises the relationship between MC and Bella.

Subtle lines like that tend to show as opposed to tell. And that's something that this game is very very good at. It paints MC and Bella a shade warmer so it fits that point of the game imo.

It's just one line though. Not making a big deal out of it. Just my thoughts.

Teal80

Dec 27, 2017
I can only speak from playing the game with alain's mod.

My preference would be "(Bella would never let me live in there... I'm actually living in a fucking garbage can.)"

Iirc this is the scene where they find rats in their house right? Being this far along into the game, I think Bella actually would not let the MC live in there. But she also wouldn't let him live that down. Both lines seem accurate for the state of their relationship at that point in time and neither are opposite to her personality.

However, I also think the line in the mod is subtly more coherent because they can't stay in that house. In that moment they are all thinking that they can't live in a house full of rats and that they have to leave. So as opposed to just thinking about how Bella would make fun of him for this, the MC instead thinks that yes not even Bella would let him stay there so they have to leave. The same Bella that usually wouldn't let him live this down. It kinda adds to the gravity of the situation but also indirectly romanticises the relationship between MC and Bella.

Subtle lines like that tend to show as opposed to tell. And that's something that this game is very very good at. It paints MC and Bella a shade warmer so it fits that point of the game imo.

It's just one line though. Not making a big deal out of it. Just my thoughts.
Except that she would definitely make fun of him based on the previous comments on his living accommodation. There is absolutely no indication that she would suddenly NOT make fun of the situation, and in fact the MC himself preempts that when admitting what was happening afterward. Bella making fun of the MC fits the personalities involved and the surrounding story elements as written.

The MC is not in a frame of mind to think that Bella would be so horrified at his predicament that she would step in and help (and nowhere is it suggested she thinks his situation anything but amusing).

Regardless, it is the author's specific intent to say that she would be making fun of the situation, not that she would pity him.

Hellas

Aug 25, 2018
Except that she would definitely make fun of him based on the previous comments on his living accommodation. There is absolutely no indication that she would suddenly NOT make fun of the situation, and in fact the MC himself preempts that when admitting what was happening afterward. Bella making fun of the MC fits the personalities involved and the surrounding story elements as written.

The MC is not in a frame of mind to think that Bella would be so horrified at his predicament that she would step in and help (and nowhere is it suggested she thinks his situation anything but amusing).

Regardless, it is the author's specific intent to say that she would be making fun of the situation, not that she would pity him.
Ok.

Raed2A

Aug 15, 2024
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the text would need SO much more work, and fixing grammar, while attempting to make it at least correct on that front, doesn't change the awkwardness you mentioned. But doing more than that would amount to doing a full rewrite, and that would change the game altogether. Don't have the luxury of time, nor the will, to go down that route, though I did some changes there and there as you mentioned.
i just stumbled here and honestly i never seen such dedication like urs and
SweatyDevil thx u both for taking ur time to make this game more enjoyable!...also will the uncencored patch work with ur mod?

DeerHound

Dec 3, 2020
i just stumbled here and honestly i never seen such dedication like urs and
SweatyDevil thx u both for taking ur time to make this game more enjoyable!...also will the uncencored patch work with ur mod?
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe you don't need the uncensored patch anymore since alain8891 mod already restored the "cut" scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raed2A

Raed2A

Aug 15, 2024
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe you don't need the uncensored patch anymore since alain8891 mod already restored the "cut" scene.
i just started the game and nami is my sister and nojiko is mom so yh the uncencored patch is included in the uncut edition

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote