Apr 22, 2019
Your thinking of Kickstarter or similar Where the purpose is to fund some end product to get them over the challenges of manufacturing or hiring, Patreon is a pay as you go support. The whole point is to pay people to continue active content creation. If you were only interested in the final product you would just pay the upfront fee to get it like Kickstarter, it basically functions as presales. If you are paying patreon to get the end product you arent really using the platform the way it was intended. If you dont like the way they run the project why would you continue to support it?
Chronicles of Elyria is a good example of how good KK works lmao

• Haha
Reactions: BoinkBoink

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
How many employees do you think there are?
It doesn't matter it it's one or one hundred or a number in between.

The game is free, and because people contribute to DC - he is able to devote more time to game development than if he had to work a full-time job and develop it on the side. Whether that's an hour more or forty more per week, it doesn't matter. It's free and he's free to do as much (or as little) as he wishes. And we are free to play it free on his schedule, not on our demand.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Your thinking of Kickstarter or similar Where the purpose is to fund some end product to get them over the challenges of manufacturing or hiring...
Kickstarter on such a scale is really only for those, who know how to make a game and who have almost everything set up - else there's such a high chance it's going to be a disaster.

SS certainly wouldn't exist, if there was no patreon-like system. It's like 100% the opposite of a kickstarter project, because it started out as a coding exercise that wasn't supposed to become anything at all.

In case anyone here actually still cares about the game itself:
DC basically confrimed, that he updated some old "minor characters" for the tech update (like most of Erik's old art was replaced) while Debbie and other main girls won't get a complete revamp as of now.
DC seemed pretty movtivated to work on Debbie again, though. To me at least that's a good sign for the next poll or so.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Will the upcoming tech update bring any new content to the game? Like story wise, MC-XRandomCharacter relation.
You should NOT expect anything but a tech update and be pleasantly surprised if you get more than that. Except for some art updates and additional locations which has been shared - there hasn't been mentioned additional content for the tech update. If you want to know the original goals of the tech update, you can see this post that I copy/pasted: #67,828

rivers77

Jul 16, 2017
Kickstarter on such a scale is really only for those, who know how to make a game and who have almost everything set up - else there's such a high chance it's going to be a disaster.

SS certainly wouldn't exist, if there was no patreon-like system. It's like 100% the opposite of a kickstarter project, because it started out as a coding exercise that wasn't supposed to become anything at all.

In case anyone here actually still cares about the game itself:
DC basically confrimed, that he updated some old "minor characters" for the tech update (like most of Erik's old art was replaced) while Debbie and other main girls won't get a complete revamp as of now.
DC seemed pretty movtivated to work on Debbie again, though. To me at least that's a good sign for the next poll or so.
While it's disappointing that Debbie won't get the revamp, it at least gives me some hope for something to happen sooner than later. I wonder what got him motivated for her again. Appreciate the information.

Jan 14, 2018
all the usual DC apologists ignoring this gave me a good laugh lol
I'll do it for you since these arguments are the same thing over and over NPC style:

"People should donate with 0 expectations! It's donation so you should expect nothing in return!"

(Which is really: "I have low expectations when it comes to donations so the definition of the word "donate" has to suit ME. Others are wrong for expecting more! What do you mean it's all subjective?! WRONG!")

Reactions: GaRbS

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
While it's disappointing that Debbie won't get the revamp, it at least gives me some hope for something to happen sooner than later. I wonder what got him motivated for her again. Appreciate the information.
I think by now he's bothered by the fact, that she's got the oldest art, which really isn't up to standard anymore. The same likely goes for quite a few details, which where just totally rushed back then...

He talked about "just adding stuff" a few days back and said, that he doesn't want to wing content like her pergnancy, because there'd be a high chance it would affect other parts of the game and that they'd have to work on it again later on to make it right. Stray said for example, that the main story ending has 3 different variations because of Jenny's pregnancy and if you'd include Debbie it would be 9.

(Which is really: "I have low expectations when it comes to donations so the definition of the word "donate" has to suit ME. Others are wrong for expecting more! What do you mean it's all subjective?! WRONG!")
Well, words do have meanings and there's a limit as to how far you can strech those. That's what dictionaries and the thesaurus are for, so we know what we are talking about. You'll have a really hard time to construct a personal quid pro quo out of that.

Username7

May 1, 2017
It doesn't matter it it's one or one hundred or a number in between.

The game is free, and because people contribute to DC - he is able to devote more time to game development than if he had to work a full-time job and develop it on the side. Whether that's an hour more or forty more per week, it doesn't matter. It's free and he's free to do as much (or as little) as he wishes. And we are free to play it free on his schedule, not on our demand.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's fairly old, I'm not shocked it's that outdated though, Sam the webmaster goes MIA for long stretches of time due to IRL stuff and only a few patreons edit the wiki. Though the only real change is Catbug the old poser left sometime during main story part 3 back in fall 2020. Since then there's been a revolving door of people joining and leaving as posers (Probably another reason the wiki's outdated no sense updating it for someone who'll only be around for a few months.). But right now it's Vole, ToxicCrobat, Mindwright, Jab and until recently Ochigo. Most of them are pretty active in the Discord and are the best sources on how the update's going.

Leldorin

Nov 22, 2019
First Post on this thread, and a genuine question .

Has someone suggested the creator of the game to use AI for the coding part ?

I don't know shit about coding so I 'm sure it's not that simple, but apparently AI is now pretty impressive with coding being comparable to a really good coder but more importantly, much faster.

Because it's either to much work for one person, or he doesn't have time to work on it, or he's not very good. ( or a combination of those)

I understand that it's not all there is to the tech update but it's seems like the code part has almost come to a stop for a few months now.

ztg1234

May 19, 2018
I don't know shit about coding so I 'm sure it's not that simple, but apparently AI is now pretty impressive with coding being comparable to a really good coder but more importantly, much faster.
idk where you read that but it's wrong, AI is trash for code, it can code you some basic stuff but that's it.
Games like this have thousands of line of code and asking an AI to code this is basically asking a kid to build a car while he only knows how a wheel works.

4.10 star(s) 356 Votes