Rickster82

Sep 10, 2017
Has there ever been a public statement from DC regarding the missing updates and the missing content?
Nothing has happened so far this year or am I wrong?
Does DC actually still have paying Patreons?

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
Has there ever been a public statement from DC regarding the missing updates and the missing content?
Lol, what is he? Some politician or Youtuber that's gotten into hot water? The only statements he makes are on patreon and those aren't public. We only receive updates here by the grace of people actually willing to pay here.

Nothing has happened so far this year or am I wrong?
Check the rest of the thread and see for yourself. If you're actually interested in it, that's the least amount of effort you can put in.

Does DC actually still have paying Patreons?
Fo-sho.

Rickster82

Sep 10, 2017
Lol, what is he? Some politician or Youtuber that's gotten into hot water? The only statements he makes are on patreon and those aren't public. We only receive updates here by the grace of people actually willing to pay here.

Check the rest of the thread and see for yourself. If you're actually interested in it, that's the least amount of effort you can put in.

Fo-sho.
Are you a DC fanboy or kind of a mod from him? Sounds like.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
The first two times when f95 put the abandoned tag he made dump a update and made a statement right after the tag was put on place
Honestly, neither would matter in this case.
Producing another pre-tech update would likely take them a few weeks, possibly even less. So it's not like with ICSTOR, where people questioned, if he did any work at all. DC usually streams 5 times a week and is producing content, much of which could be released.
That fact alone makes this whole discussion even more tiresome.

Back when DC released these small pre-tech updates, some said they weren't worth it. Now when DC says, he has stopped releasing these small updates to focus on the bigger one, some people (I'm sure in some cases even the same people) demand an abandoned tag.
As long as the real tech updaten isn't out, anything DC does will be criticized anyway. If he'd release a small update now, I'm sure some would claim he'd only do it to avoid the tag.
Are you a DC fanboy or kind of a mod from him? Sounds like.
Well, you asked questions and you got your answers?

DC has talked about it several times, it'll take time. No, nothing has been released this year, and yes, his patron numbers are pretty much constant.

Rickster82

Sep 10, 2017
Well, you asked questions and you got your answers?

DC has talked about it several times, it'll take time. No, nothing has been released this year, and yes, his patron numbers are pretty much constant.
There is an old saying in my language: Der Ton macht die Musik. (The sound makes the music.)
The person could have answered the questions sensibly.
And because his answers came across as very stroppy and annoyed, I assumed that criticism of DC was not allowed and that's why I called him DC fanboy.

And seriously, you can't expect people to search through thousands of pages to get the right answer to their questions.

Anyway, thank you for your direct answers.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
There is an old saying in my language: Der Ton macht die Musik. (The sound makes the music.)
The person could have answered the questions sensibly.
And because his answers came across as very stroppy and annoyed, I assumed that criticism of DC was not allowed and that's why I called him DC fanboy.

And seriously, you can't expect people to search through thousands of pages to get the right answer to their questions.

Anyway, thank you for your direct answers.
Is there an old saying in your language about lazy people wanting others to spoon feed them and how they just grow fatter and lazier until they are useless to anyone, including themselves?

You don't need to search through thousands of pages.

Just skim over the last few or use the fancy dancy Search box provided on EVERY single page of this website. If you set it up by following my suggestions in my signature - you'll almost always find your answer in the first page of results (20 or fewer posts to skim through).

Would take you 2-3 minutes max. It's not like it hasn't been mentioned before.

Or, better yet - is it "abandoned" -- go to summertimesaga.com/news and see that there are patreon posts and more ... answers your question.

randommal3

Oct 14, 2018
something that just crossed in my mind : Instead of changing things to widescreen that is gonna take forever to complete, i would prefer that DC added Voicelines for the characters. i don't mind with 4:3 aspect ratio, honestly.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
something that just crossed in my mind : Instead of changing things to widescreen that is gonna take forever to complete, i would prefer that DC added Voicelines for the characters. i don't mind with 4:3 aspect ratio, honestly.
Voicelines? You mean voice-over actors? Won't happen - but if it did, how would you feel if your favorite waifu's actress had a voice you couldn't stand? It's different if v/o work starts from the beginning, doesn't allow people to set their own expectations. Look at what happens when actors are cast in roles in movies/tv shows that are completely different than what fans expected.

I'll go to an older movie as an example - casting Tom Cruise as Lestat in "Interview with a Vampire" was a controversial choice (especially when author Anne Rice had pictured Cher or David Bowie in the role at one time).

Also, the 16:9 is to make better use of the screens of phones rather than wasting all the space, as well as other aspects of changing the display ratio. Android players are a huge chunk of DC's current fanbase and the marketshare for that will only continue to grow larger, when compared to computer players.

Reactions: XoticRealmZ

Joe33333

Feb 23, 2023
what is the longterm plan of this game ? does they gonna male it last like forever with new updates every while or they intend to finish it at some point and start new project

Reactions: Js61196

BorsDeGanis

Jan 30, 2020
The thing that annoys me about this dev is that they are making well over 1 million a year in patreon donations. With that kind of capital they could fund a small team of people to have this tech update done in a year and focus completely on content updates every few months.

They are being greedy. I really don't think there is more of an explanation than that. This game isn't big enough for three plus years of development on a "tech upgrade" to make any sense. Not if you have competent people working for you. They don't want to fund their terrible idea though so the product is going to stagnate for half a decade.

Just completely mismanaged all around.

Yes, the game actually regressed. It seems that they lost an hard disk with a lot of data so they had to redo again a lot of work .
I rest my case.

Last edited:

Cixxi

Nov 22, 2022
Like many games, let's support more the community, the mods and the fan arts than the creator who took time to upgrade their game.

Reactions: XCelesX

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
The thing that annoys me about this dev is that they are making well over 1 million a year in patreon donations. With that kind of capital they could fund a small team of people to have this tech update done in a year and focus completely on content updates every few months.

They are being greedy. I really don't think there is more of an explanation than that. This game isn't big enough for three plus years of development on a "tech upgrade" to make any sense. Not if you have competent people working for you. They don't want to fund their terrible idea though so the product is going to stagnate for half a decade.

Just completely mismanaged all around.

I rest my case.
They are not making well over $1 million a year in patreon donations. They are making bank, yes, bringing in about $720,000 in the past 12 months.

They have a dev team of the artist (DC), a few art posers, a coder, a writer, as well as a couple of support staff - its around 10-12 on the team (give or take).

The game has nearly 20k images and a couple of hundred thousand lines of code and dialogue (24mb - over 1 million words. To compare, the average novel is between 75,000-125,000 words -- All 7 Harry Potter books have fewer words than the code/dialogue/script of Summertime Saga).

Finally, yes - DC is a terrible project manager. Also, one of the reasons he left corporate game design so long ago was because he hated being managed by others and dealing with corporate deadlines.

Dec 5, 2023
They are not making well over $1 million a year in patreon donations. They are making bank, yes, bringing in about $720,000 in the past 12 months.

They have a dev team of the artist (DC), a few art posers, a coder, a writer, as well as a couple of support staff - its around 10-12 on the team (give or take).

The game has nearly 20k images and a couple of hundred thousand lines of code and dialogue (24mb - over 1 million words. To compare, the average novel is between 75,000-125,000 words -- All 7 Harry Potter books have fewer words than the code/dialogue/script of Summertime Saga).

Finally, yes - DC is a terrible project manager. Also, one of the reasons he left corporate game design so long ago was because he hated being managed by others and dealing with corporate deadlines.
He can take all the time he needs, but no one is obligated to give a shit when a game, a visual novel, started in 2016 takes 7 years of development.

This is not a ten year game (you posted elsewhere he has enough content to extend development up to 2027), it's just not. No amount of defense of the devs will convince me the amount of work put into this game justifies 7+ years.

You literally cannot convince me it takes a team of 10-12 people 7+ years to make 1 visual novel without either (or both)
1. extreme incompetence on the management side
2. apathy for actually finishing the project because of the amount of money they're making.

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
He can take all the time he needs, but no one is obligated to give a shit when a game, a visual novel, started in 2016 takes 7 years of development.

This is not a ten year game (you posted elsewhere he has enough content to extend development up to 2027), it's just not. No amount of defense of the devs will convince me the amount of work put into this game justifies 7+ years.

You literally cannot convince me it takes a team of 10-12 people 7+ years to make 1 visual novel without either (or both)
1. extreme incompetence on the management side
2. apathy for actually finishing the project because of the amount of money they're making.
I mean, I agree, no one is obligated to give a shit. But not giving a shit usually means also not spending half the time complaining about the game or development. That's more likely giving too much of a shit to the point it makes one angry. So I'd say we have more than enough here who give a shit.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 359 Votes