Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I have never though that DC was a bad Dev or something but his coder on the other hand is mediocre at best complete garbage at worst.
You do know that DC was his own coder for a while, and he'll agree with you that he was garbage. It's the reason why he hired the current coder to fix all the mistakes that he and other coders made in the past. And fixing the code is one of the reasons for this tech update. If you have problems with the code - it's not the fault of the current coder, but past transgressions before that person was hired.

Reactions: BrotherNewt

Kaiki-tan

Nov 3, 2022
You do know that DC was his own coder for a while, and he'll agree with you that he was garbage. It's the reason why he hired the current coder to fix all the mistakes that he and other coders made in the past. And fixing the code is one of the reasons for this tech update. If you have problems with the code - it's not the fault of the current coder, but past transgressions before that person was hired.
It's basically like the shit o'l Yandere Simulator situation (except the dev for that one is a dickhead). At least DC ain't defensive about it and trying to fix the clusterfuck, but this old fuck-up sure is a veeeery timely one, huh? :KEK:

badabamm

Jan 3, 2018
You're probably thinking of DOS days, where 0.20 would have meant that it was 20% complete. Nowadays, it just means that it's the 20th major release. MAME is on version 0.253 and you don't hear people saying "26 years and this emulator is only on version 0.253 with no signs of being anywhere close to being done."
Sorry, but that is not really true. MAME has one of the special versionings out there which is even mentioned in Wikipedia as such. Most of the time a major release is referenced by a change in the first number and a minor release by a change in the second number. And I would argue that most of MAMEs versions are actually not major releases ...

Reactions: Artoriasex
Jun 21, 2020
:confused:Is there any improvement in Debbie's story or render quality? I stopped paying & playing summertime saga since 2019 as i got bored with the story and it's render qualities.

Black_cat77

Nov 3, 2022
Friends, I do not know a lot about programming, the code for the games how long is written in general, if not fool around, as the author and his company does?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Omnikuken

Cube78

May 10, 2020
Friends, I do not know a lot about programming, the code for the games how long is written in general, if not fool around, as the author and his company does?
As a professional programmer, I can say I have no idea.

There's no "standard effort to complete a game, whatever the games is". It depends on the game, of course, and an effort estimation can be done (tentatively) only by someone who have some knowledge of the project at code level. That's not my case.

Jan 14, 2018
Is Mrs. Johnson getting a full remake of her scenes with the tech update? or are the wallpapers just there to add on top/introduce her and we get her remake later on?
It would make sense to just redo her same time as aspect ratio change :unsure:

Username7

May 1, 2017
Is Mrs. Johnson getting a full remake of her scenes with the tech update? or are the wallpapers just there to add on top/introduce her and we get her remake later on?
It would make sense to just redo her same time as aspect ratio change :unsure:
Right now the tech update's only going to be the widescreen and all the code rework, the new intro shots are for an enhanced version of Day 1 when you first meet everyone, DC's toyed with the idea on stream a few times about including a final batch of scenes with it. But it wouldn't be for characters that needs a rework which is why no one from Erik or Mia's routes got any scenes in the pre techs because they're going to completely rebuild them at some point after Judith. DC's also mentioned on stream a few times that maybe the poll for after Judith will be for routes that need reworks.

Sukme

Dec 21, 2017
New scene? I'm pretty sure I went through this event like every time I have replayed this game
Think the event is the same but the view point is different (?). Also don't remember her being totally nude in that event just 'bib' top down - but it has been a while.

FlyingPony

Oct 29, 2017
As a professional programmer, I can say I have no idea.

There's no "standard effort to complete a game, whatever the games is". It depends on the game, of course, and an effort estimation can be done (tentatively) only by someone who have some knowledge of the project at code level. That's not my case.
If you don't mind me asking, how long it would take to completely remake the game? Having all the assets on hand.

emixam2005

Jan 2, 2020
That gonna depend on the program its being used, how good is the coder, how many coders are involved, etc.
And concerning summetime saga, do we know which program they use? Is it such a complex one? How many coder has Darkcookie in his team?

Is there on this forum someone who has answer to these question and that could say if it is normal or not that we have to wait so long for this tech update to be done?

I don't get why he decide to make that tech update 2 years ago :-(
The game was already great and some games are really fantastic without needing to be at the top of technology or whatever.

I get it that he wanted a better game, it is normal to want to make good work but here, it just seems he kind he got lost in his wish for amelioration.

Don't know if I translated it correctly since english is not my language by birth, but there is a saying in french telling "the best is the worst enemy of the better" meaning that running after the absolute best solution is actually the best way to screw up while having a "not-so-perfect" solution that do the job is enough to succeed most of the time. It is the reason of the failure of a lot of great project.

Of course let's hope that's not the case for Darkcookie and his game, but he is loosing a lot of credit among his fan by forcing such a long waiting time, and will it be worth it?

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
And concerning summetime saga, do we know which program they use? Is it such a complex one? How many coder has Darkcookie in his team?

Is there on this forum someone who has answer to these question and that could say if it is normal or not that we have to wait so long for this tech update to be done?

I don't get why he decide to make that tech update 2 years ago :-(
The game was already great and some games are really fantastic without needing to be at the top of technology or whatever.

I get it that he wanted a better game, it is normal to want to make good work but here, it just seems he kind he got lost in his wish for amelioration.

Don't know if I translated it correctly since english is not my language by birth, but there is a saying in french telling "the best is the worst enemy of the better" meaning that running after the absolute best solution is actually the best way to screw up while having a "not-so-perfect" solution that do the job is enough to succeed most of the time. It is the reason of the failure of a lot of great project.

Of course let's hope that's not the case for Darkcookie and his game, but he is loosing a lot of credit among his fan by forcing such a long waiting time, and will it be worth it?
All of your questions and concerns have been answered and addressed dozens, if not hundreds, of times in this thread. If you would have used the search option on any page in this thread, it would have saved you time.

First of all, this is a free game to play. Dark Cookie provides it free for everyone on his website. You don't need to "pirate" it to play it. It is free because there are people who willingly and voluntarily contribute on Patreon. They aren't being forced, they can stop at any time. A good number have, but an even larger number remain subscribers. It's their choice. Without them, the game would take longer for development and would be of lesser quality than it is.
  • As shown in the header of this page, the game is made in Ren'Py.
  • The number of coders is moot, because the number Dark Cookie has is the number he wants. If he wanted more, he would have hired more. He has not.
  • It is both not normal and is normal to wait this long. This is a game with a lot of code (thousands of lines) that needs reviewed and revised and a lot of layers of art that needs posed (20,000+ images). The art and the scripting is done for the tech update.
  • The reasons for the tech update are many and are found if you use the search function. I have personally copy/pasted them several times and have typed up a FAQ that I have posted nearly 70 times in the past 18 months for people to learn more. In the end, the biggest marketshare of players are mobile users - 16:9 display ratio with a certain amount of memory constraints. Much of this tech update goes to making their experience better (changing from 4:3 display to 16:9, 'optimizing' the code for smaller footprint and more responsive to future updates, etc).
  • For the number of people who leave, there are just as many who find Dark Cookie for the first time. It is still the number one adult game on Patreon, measured by number of subscribers (almost 2x the number of #2), and the game has been downloaded millions of times (uptodown(dot)com lists 59m downloads, alone). I don't think he has much to worry about, particularly once the tech update is done, he will see a boost of players both who have left to come back and new.
When does the game start to get actiony? Been playing for a while and seems like a while because MC gets any sex
Perhaps you should go to the wiki and follow the walkthrough on there to make sure you're hitting the right quests.

Reactions: t4ewk
4.00 star(s) 366 Votes