kibaris

Mar 17, 2019
imo, Nyx's abilities over souls and the dead seems to be way more in line with Memory than with Truth, especially considering MC's burdgeoning mindscape. Souls can be considered the memories of the mind to the more poetically minded. My verdict is Power, with a sizeable affiliation with Memory

The Truth component is only for recreating their body from scratch like Eisheth can do for herself. Everything related to preserving the dead and the soul is Memory. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
She cant restore from nothing, for Duncan she still need his body and she only can revive Duncan as a tree and the operation officer mention that she cant turn stone to flesh again.
She restore the body like he was before his death, so her power could "remember" how the body was before is death and restore him" also Nyx mention that mc could see the dead like her and she know about is power .

Mc:"are you telling me you see dead people?"
Nyx: "I don't know if 'see' is the right word for it... but close enough. You probably could too, you know?"
Nyx:"they are a lot of memories left in a corpse, if you know how to get at them. That's what i'm really seeing, or at least it's a god chunk of it"

And mc could interact with the dead in this last update, Jake,Ella,and Sylla through memories. + that dream with Nyx in the place where she store the souls of dead people, and mc could acces it and she even mention that part of mc soul's is there,and that how she preserv him, it's also made me think about what Sylla said about "having piece of people inside of him and that's how we connect to them."
They clearly have some similarity here.

And if Nyx resurection power is linked to memory, mc could possibly resurrect Ella like that before leaving with her like Ella said in that letter? ( either willingly or maybe Sin will try to use the twins as leverage?)

Last edited:

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
She cant restore from nothing, for Duncan she still need his body and she only can revive Duncan as a tree and the operation officer mention that she cant turn stone to flesh again.
She restore the body like he was before his death, so her power could "remember" how the body was before is death and restore him" also Nyx mention that mc could see the dead like her and she know about is power .

Mc:"are you telling me you see dead people?"
Nyx: "I don't know if 'see' is the right word for it... but close enough. You probably could too, you know?"
Nyx:"they are a lot of memories left in a corpse, if you know how to get at them. That's what i'm really seeing, or at least it's a god chunk of it"

And mc could interact with the dead in this last update, Jake,Ella,and Sylla through memories. + that dream with Nyx in the place where she store the souls of dead people, and mc could acces it and she even mention that part of mc soul's is there,and that how she preserv him, it's also made me think about what Sylla said about "having piece of people inside of him and that's how we connect to them."
They clearly have some similarity here.

And if Nyx resurection power is linked to memory, mc could possibly resurrect Ella like that before leaving with her like Ella said in that letter? ( either willingly or maybe Sin will try to use the twins as leverage?)
I hadn't considered this, but I don't think that Duncan's current predicament is a good example because Ella's power seems to mess up things. Also if Nyx wasn't capable of creating a new body for him, why would she bother burning him down in the first place? Wouldn't that doom him from the get go if he was just a bunch of ashes?

Edit: I will need to research it more. I'll revisit this a bit later.

Last edited:
Reactions: SquallofNight

kibaris

Mar 17, 2019
I hadn't considered this, but I don't think that Duncan's current predicament is a good example because Ella's power seems to mess up things. Also if Nyx wasn't capable of creating a new body for him, why would she bother burning him down in the first place? Wouldn't that doom him from the get go?
When Duncan monsterfied, she killed him and restored him to a pre-monsterfication stage.
When Ella teases Duncan and Jill, she asks if the Doctor would rather reattach their limps or just kill them for them to be ressurected. (Ella knows first hand of this power as she knows the original monster.)
Ella also mention that nyx surpassed her monster.
I didn't say that she cant recreate the body, just not from nothing, if something burn, ashes are left and then she restore the body from that, i dont remember if they are exemple where she resurrect people without their body of if it's mentionned somewhere.
During diamond battle, she only start to fight when a third of the people she marked are dead and ask nico to send her in" it sound like she need the body to me and we still have the exemple from the gorgon, if she petrified someone, Nyx cant restore stone to flesh and another exemple are Christie, we now that Ella had a similar securities for Christie and Emily but Ella couldnt resurect Christie after mc had devoured her no? (didnt play that part because i like Christie )

just that every element that we have so far point to her needing at least some leftovers of the body but i could be wrong of course .
but they are still a lot of similarities with memory and how that part of Nyx power work.

Last edited:

sexoffended

Oct 6, 2020
Dunno what are you smoking, but Nyx was stated to be able to nullify the energy of Tiff and Michael during their evolution. That's a Dark trait shebang. Her resurrection power stems from Memory (monster fought by Niko was mostly pure memory judging by the connection displayed), also Dark is stated to be able to imitate things.

Reactions: Doom Marine

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022
If by conceptually you mean that he will reach the "truth" through his power, yes it fits. However every effect we've seen in the game has to do with altering the interactions between objects and materializing things. If at any point we get a Truth ability that has to do with the "search for truth" I will consider it. It's funny though, Eisheth is the Chosen of truth, but everything she did was.. not true. She decided to not die, she decided that the rocks don't suffer opposite forces etc. Such a weird concept.

If not, could you elaborate a bit? Give me an example of an ability we can observe?
So I will preface this with an explanation that of the twelve primary abilities, Truth seems to be the most esoteric. Unlike things like Memory or Body which are more tangible and explain themselves rather easily, Truth appears to be to be much more... poetic? Flowery? Not sure what the best word for it is.

Deus feels like Truth to me in a few ways. Mentally, I have tied together the future sight and his divination of other people as part of the same ability. Think of his future sight as something along the lines of "It is true that if I drop a rock from my hand, it will fall." When he looks at someone and learns all this stuff about them, he's learning all of the true things about them. He was able to immediately understand that the MC was visiting him in a dream, and unlike Michael, he didn't appear to be in any sort of special circumstances that would've allowed him to "come to realize" he was in a dream. In a way, its also something that can extend to his attacks like "It will be true that a light beam will cut this person in two." though this is a bit more of a stretch on my part.

Another point that is more personal opinion than anything else, is that Truth feels much more interesting if you consider Deus to be HERO's secret weapon. Memory, while very strong in its own right, feels less like a grand reveal than someone who absorbs truth.

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
Ella also mention that nyx surpassed her monster.
I didn't say that she cant recreate the body, just not from nothing, if something burn, ashes are left and then she restore the body from that, i dont remember if they are exemple where she resurrect people without their body of if it's mentionned somewhere.
During diamond battle, she only start to fight when a third of the people she marked are dead and ask nico to send her in" it sound like she need the body to me and we still have the exemple from the gorgon, if she petrified someone, Nyx cant restore stone to flesh and another exemple are Christie, we now that Ella had a similar securities for Christie and Emily but Ella couldnt resurect Christie after mc had devoured her no? (didnt play that part because i like Christie )

just that every element that we have so far point to her needing at least some leftovers of the body but i could be wrong of course .
but they are still a lot of similarities with memory and how that part of Nyx power work.
Yeah, I edited my post because I misjudged your point. There are a few reasons why I think Nyx can resurrect from nothing.

1. Duncan is willing to die to give Nico the chance to take out Ella and he has mentioned numerous times that he is protected by the Reaper. Duncan is an old member of Nyx's team and he probably knows exactly how this works. Also Nico is way too quick to accept his judgement without even a goodbye when she considers herself better than Ella and is already empowered with Clark's power. Nico kills by transporting her victims to the sun. I don't think you can come back from this.

Edit: To add to this, Nico may be able to just transport Ella to a faraway planet and then just retrieve Duncan's corpse . However I doubt that space can actually kill Ella or most level 5s for this matter. They don't need to breath, Ella's body is significantly stronger than Nico's who is confirmed to be able to survive it for weeks, and high level Superhumans don't actually need propulsion to travel, they can just manipulate their energy. So Ella will come back, perhaps in a year, but she will come back. And even if she can't, Hex can do it for her.

2. Ella has probably marked Christie and Emily. However those 2 are just human. If attacked by a monster, it's quite likely that they will get eaten or their body will be left in such a stated that it will be hard to find even a small piece of it. And that's without considering what apocalypse Ella will bring to Earth.

Both present Duncan and the victims of Gorgon have a common point. They are actively affected by someone else's power. Perhaps that's the reason why she can't bring them back. Also I'm quite interested in why Nyx doesn't just use her death ray on Duncan to kill him. If that's her main offensive power and it's confirmed that he can ressurect the people she personally kills, why burn him down in the first place?

Anyway, that's the reasons I think that she is capable of restoring someone from nothing as long as she has preserve their soul. But you make a good point. The Gorgon one is very interesting and it's not like my arguments are fullproof.

However my suggestion of Truth still holds because even if she can't restore a body from nothing, she seems capable of restoring it despite the injuries suffered, which is in line with what Eisheth can do. It does open a possibility for Creation though, similar to how Deryl can regenerate flesh with his Elixir.

Dunno what are you smoking, but Nyx was stated to be able to nullify the energy of Tiff and Michael during their evolution. That's a Dark trait shebang. Her resurrection power stems from Memory (monster fought by Niko was mostly pure memory judging by the connection displayed), also Dark is stated to be able to imitate things.
I mentioned this about Nyx and left the chance for Dark open, but it's not as clear cut. Nyx stops Michael's energy but not Tiffany's light. She only drains Tiffany when she catches her in her hand. This effect can easily be attributed to Power, similarly to how Michael is capable of absorbing energy and draining other Superhumans. Michael is just a level 2 so his draining effect wouldn't be that amazing anyway. Nyx on the other hand is an extremely advanced level 5, so if she has a similar power, it would be easy to apply it to Tiffany.
Dark is not out of the question, but since she has some similarities to Michael, I'd rather support this angle.

As for the Memory monster having a Dark component for the imitation, sure, it's a possibility, but the monster report mentions simple things like making Armor and a Sword from shadow material. It's quite a jump to extend this to using someone else's powers, especially when Xanthe sets a different precedent.

I won't rule it out completely, but I want to see how Langdon's powers work, which I attribute to the Dark too. If Langdon is capable of using a monster or superhuman body to it's full effect, then perhaps there is more to Dark than what I think.

So I will preface this with an explanation that of the twelve primary abilities, Truth seems to be the most esoteric. Unlike things like Memory or Body which are more tangible and explain themselves rather easily, Truth appears to be to be much more... poetic? Flowery? Not sure what the best word for it is.

Deus feels like Truth to me in a few ways. Mentally, I have tied together the future sight and his divination of other people as part of the same ability. Think of his future sight as something along the lines of "It is true that if I drop a rock from my hand, it will fall." When he looks at someone and learns all this stuff about them, he's learning all of the true things about them. He was able to immediately understand that the MC was visiting him in a dream, and unlike Michael, he didn't appear to be in any sort of special circumstances that would've allowed him to "come to realize" he was in a dream. In a way, its also something that can extend to his attacks like "It will be true that a light beam will cut this person in two." though this is a bit more of a stretch on my part.

Another point that is more personal opinion than anything else, is that Truth feels much more interesting if you consider Deus to be HERO's secret weapon. Memory, while very strong in its own right, feels less like a grand reveal than someone who absorbs truth.
Hmm, it's obvious that we view the Truth trait differently. In fact we seem to view it completely opposite.
To use your own examples, I think the Truth power is about letting the rock drop and deciding that the correct way to fall is up instead of down, which is probably why Eisheth has telekinetic powers in the first place. Inside Eisheth's domain, not every action has a reaction, rocks fall to the sky, not to the ground, Death is just a suggestion, not a fact. It's exactly what she says, "I decide what is Truth".

Your idea seems to me more like determinism. I like it but I can't observe it in the game in a form that will persuade me that's the case.

Last edited:

sexoffended

Oct 6, 2020
Yeah, I edited my post because I misjudged your point. There are a few reasons why I think Nyx can resurrect from nothing.

1. Duncan is willing to die to give Nico the chance to take out Ella and he has mentioned numerous times that he is protected by the Reaper. Duncan is an old member of Nyx's team and he probably knows exactly how this works. Also Nico is way too quick to accept his judgement without even a goodbye when she considers herself better than Ella and is already empowered with Clark's power. Nico kills by transporting her victims to the sun. I don't think you can come back from this.

Edit: To add to this, Nico may be able to just transport Ella to a faraway planet and then just retrieve Duncan's corpse . However I doubt that space can actually kill Ella or most level 5s for this matter. They don't need to breath, Ella's body is significantly stronger than Nico's who is confirmed to be able to survive it for weeks, and high level Superhumans don't actually need propulsion to travel, they can just manipulate their energy. So Ella will come back, perhaps in a year, but she will come back. And even if she can't, Hex can do it for her.

2. Ella has probably marked Christie and Emily. However those 2 are just human. If attacked by a monster, it's quite likely that they will get eaten or their body will be left in such a stated that it will be hard to find even a small piece of it. And that's without considering what apocalypse Ella will bring to Earth.

Both present Duncan and the victims of Gorgon have a common point. They are actively affected by someone else's power. Perhaps that's the reason why she can't bring them back. Also I'm quite interested in why Nyx doesn't just use her death ray on Duncan to kill him. If that's her main offensive power and it's confirmed that he can ressurect the people she personally kills, why burn him down in the first place?

Anyway, that's the reasons I think that she is capable of restoring someone from nothing as long as she has preserve their soul. But you make a good point. The Gorgon one is very interesting and it's not like my arguments are fullproof.

However my suggestion of Truth still holds because even if she can't restore a body from nothing, she seems capable of restoring it despite the injuries suffered, which is in line with what Eisheth can do. It does open a possibility for Creation though, similar to how Deryl can regenerate flesh with his Elixir.

I mentioned this about Nyx and left the chance for Dark open, but it's not as clear cut. Nyx stops Michael's energy but not Tiffany's light. She only drains Tiffany when she catches her in her hand. This effect can easily be attributed to Power, similarly to how Michael is capable of absorbing energy and draining other Superhumans. Michael is just a level 2 so his draining effect wouldn't be that amazing anyway. Nyx on the other hand is an extremely advanced level 5, so if she has a similar power, it would be easy to apply it to Tiffany.
Dark is not out of the question, but since she has some similarities to Michael, I'd rather support this angle.

As for the Memory monster having a Dark component for the imitation, sure, it's a possibility, but the monster report mentions simple things like making Armor and a Sword from shadow material. It's quite a jump to extend this to using someone else's powers, especially when Xanthe sets a different precedent.

I won't rule it out completely, but I want to see how Langdon's powers work, which I attribute to the Dark too. If Langdon is capable of using a monster or superhuman body to it's full effect, then perhaps there is more to Dark than what I think.

Hmm, it's obvious that we view the Truth trait differently. In fact we seem to view it completely opposite.
To use your own examples, I think the Truth power is about letting the rock drop and deciding that the correct way to fall is up instead of down, which is probably why Eisheth has telekinetic powers in the first place. Inside Eisheth's domain, not every action has a reaction, rocks fall to the sky, not to the ground, Death is just a suggestion, not a fact. It's exactly what she says, "I decide what is Truth".

Your idea seems to me more like determinism. I like it but I can't observe it in the game in a form that will persuade me that's the case.
Nyx failed to contain Tiffany because of her light form, not power drain. Also her passive aura "deadens" everything around her monster energy included. Not as complete as Valravn, but she is still capable of nullifying supernatural phenomena. She likely was infected by a monster with high Dark and Memory lineage further developed by her with each evolution, judging by her incomplete and yet distinct traits.

Langdon probably has a mix of Dark and Authority lineage. He's described to be able to possess someone as long as his energy pool is bigger to completely suppress his target's power. Dark makes his ranged intangible form, Authority suppresses his host (both Apostles are also present in Minyak). There's also a possibility for him to be able to use host's abilities like Jake. Biggest question would be how his power is impacted by proximity to and will of his target.

jak1165

Mar 10, 2018
Out of curiosity, What did you guys name the mc and the mc's superhero name?

I just named mine Deacon Killgrave cause it sounded edgy and his superhero name Blacklight (based from the virus in the prototype games)
First time I played the game I had been playing Deus Ex so the protagonist was named JC Denton and the superhero name was Daedalus

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022

I think that Truth can be used in the way you describe, but I also see it as being able to operate as I explained, since that is what makes the most sense to me. Thematically, what you describe is much more like a Reality power or what Agaeclifw described Order, or however her name is spelled, to be like.

Eisheth's power is the ability to enforce her own truths within her domain, whereas Deus's power is the ability to divine truths about the future and other people and things. This is what I meant about Truth being "flowery"; it can be very literal as in the ability to control truths, or more metaphorical, which allows Deus to do stuff like see the future and know he's in a dream.

As for determinism, I feel like if it didn't exist, and people could just change their fates on a whim, then Time powers that allow you to interact with past and future selfs seem kinda worthless since the whole point is that by doing so you change fate. Narratively, Deus pretty strongly seems to indicate that something like fate exists, especially when things go outside the expectations, like when MC is taken over by the Apostle, and he says something to the effect of "this wasn't supposed to happen." And i figure this situation is only possible because of meta reasons; that is to say, we players have the ability to change the fate of the MC because if we couldn't it would just be a novel.

Reactions: Katsuki45

kibaris

Mar 17, 2019
Considering the very conceptual nature of his abilities, I have to say that Deus screams Truth to me, with a strong helping of Memory. Memory explains a lot of precognition, whereas Truth fits as the most cleanly conceptually based power among the 12 apostles. Possibly some small amount of Space too for the reasons you mentioned.
I replayed that part and i would agree more with Gt here..., look
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Deus attack with ray of light, and the way he made them appear directly inside mc body made me think of Nico and Hexeringe, and mc said that Deus flee through a tear in space. so likely ether + light ( Deus attacks are base on light) + memory or time when Eiseth and Elijah attack are more about kinetic energy and moving things (like Elijah with is gadget or what Eiseth did with Shen before Nico come to our rescue)

Last edited:
Reactions: SquallofNight

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023

1. Duncan is willing to die to give Nico the chance to take out Ella and he has mentioned numerous times that he is protected by the Reaper. Duncan is an old member of Nyx's team and he probably knows exactly how this works.
Didn't Nyx explicitly tell us how it works?

She "marks" someone.
Once marked, she can resurrect them.
She has a limited number of marks she can maintain. And as such only important / high leveled individuals get marked.
She then marks the MC so she can resurrect him should he die.

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022
I replayed that part and i would agree more with Gt here..., look

Deus attack with ray of light, and the way he made them appear directly inside mc body made me think of Nico and Hexeringe, and mc said that Deus flee through a tear in space. so likely ether + light ( Deus attacks are base on light) + memory or time when Eiseth and Elijah attack are more about kinetic energy and moving things (like Elijah with is gadget or what Eiseth did with Shen before Nico come to our rescue)
If I'm not mistaken, it was confirmed that Deus has absolutely no Time in him. And I don't dismiss his offensive traits being pretty heavily space + light, i just think that his future sight and divination abilities are emblematic to me of Truth. In fact i can see how, using Eiseth as our comparison, how such light based attacks could also work under Truth instead of Space or Light.

lorkdubo

Aug 19, 2022
If I'm not mistaken, it was confirmed that Deus has absolutely no Time in him. And I don't dismiss his offensive traits being pretty heavily space + light, i just think that his future sight and divination abilities are emblematic to me of Truth. In fact i can see how, using Eiseth as our comparison, how such light based attacks could also work under Truth instead of Space or Light.
I mean. Time does not exist per se. I like the concept of causality more. But... Causal structure does act as a foundation for Space and Time.

Reactions: Katsuki45

KingAgamemnon

Aug 7, 2022
I mean. Time does not exist per se. I like the concept of causality more. But... Causal structure does act as a foundation for Space and Time.
In the interest in not going on a rant, I will simply say that "Time is an illusion" is abjectly false. The only illusory thing about time is the concept of the present. Events still occur, even if observers may disagree about which order they occurred in. Time not existing would be a real big problem considering we have a whole Apostle based around it, so clearly the future and the past must exist to some degree, otherwise all we have are like time stop or slow or speed up abilities, which is very narrow for such a fundamental property.

And I agree that causality is more of a Space-Time thing than a Truth thing, but it appears WW is going the route of Truth being the reality warper of the apostlespawn. Gtdead goes further into that route as Truth being an enforcer of 'subjective reality', whereas I assert that Deus exhibits the trait more passively as someone who 'perceives the truth/reality in all things'.

Gtdead

Jul 13, 2021
Didn't Nyx explicitly tell us how it works?

She "marks" someone.
Once marked, she can resurrect them.
She has a limited number of marks she can maintain. And as such only important / high leveled individuals get marked.
She then marks the MC so she can resurrect him should he die.
Well yes, but the question we are trying to answer is how does she ressurect someone?
Does she need to touch the body?
Does she need to be near where the individual died?
Does she just make it happen as long as the individual is dead without regard for distance and leftover body?

If Nico sends Duncan to the sun, is Nyx even capable of bringing him back? Does a drop of sweat or blood suffice?
Depending on how she does it, the trait that gives her that ability can be different.

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
Well yes, but the question we are trying to answer is how does she ressurect someone?
Does she need to touch the body?
Does she need to be near where the individual died?
Does she just make it happen as long as the individual is dead without regard for distance and leftover body?

If Nico sends Duncan to the sun, is Nyx even capable of bringing him back? Does a drop of sweat or blood suffice?
Depending on how she does it, the trait that gives her that ability can be different.
Oh, I see.
Well, she marks you before you are sent to go out alone to enemy territory... so, my guess is that she needs nothing beyond the mark itself
but we won't know until it becomes relevant

kibaris

Mar 17, 2019
Oh, I see.
Well, she marks you before you are sent to go out alone to enemy territory... so, my guess is that she needs nothing beyond the mark itself
but we won't know until it becomes re
Nico exist ^^, and during Diamond Battle Nyx asked Nico to send her in when a third of the people she marked died.

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
Nico exist ^^ and during Diamond Battle she asked to send her in when a third of the people she marked died.
Good points.

Although... it might be because being there makes it easier and she has to resurrect such a sheer quantity of people that she needs the cost savings from being there.

Alternatively...
She says "now is a good time for me to get involved" not "now is a good time for me to resurrect them"
Her "get involved" is to go in and kill Ella, not go in to resurrect people.

4.80 star(s) 346 Votes