Lord Executor

Nov 16, 2018
Here's my official statement on the matter.

Suffice to say, this has been a huge and shocking blow,
not necessarily that a suspension has happened, (this is Patreon - it only takes one report to trigger an investigation),
but rather ... the sudden abruptness by which the project was just unceremoniously put out to pasture - for now, at least.

I've been working on the Taffy Tales project since early 2018, it is, possibly now was, the first project I ever became involved with.

Until I know for sure whether this project is going to continue or not, and whether I still have a place in it, I can't talk freely about everything, including my feelings, many of my thoughts and key events, so you'll have to forgive me if I can't answer any pending questions.

With that said...

I've long, long been concerned about the tightening nose of Patreon, and shared these sentiments with Uberpie many times previously - and once again, my concerns are proven correct.
The simple fact is, the more people choose to empower patreon over things like subscribestar, the more they can and will dictate the types of games you want.

I'm sure, there will be a complete flood and fury of developers and detectives-in-the-making rushing to speculate on the many various rules that may or may not have been broken in order to make sense of this.

Stop.

Just stop... It's become so tiring.

...Even if you prove rule X was broken, or bent, or whatever you feel justifies the page being purged,
even if you hate Taffy Tales, hate me, or hate Uberpie or whatever.

Patreon gave nothing more than a vague deadline of 72 hours to fix problems which they refused to specify what they actually took issue with.

-Why was the page not held in suspension while the team was at least given a chance to fix the issues like so many other devs get to do?
-Why were the offending issues not listed?
-After refusing to extend the suspension, despite the team making contact and saying they were willing to make changes, how did Patreon realistically expect any changes to be effectively made within 72 hours before the page got terminated? It's neigh impossible.

Even if the rules *were* broken... Is that okay? Is that acceptable?
The rules are applied inconsistently, with some devs, who I think we all know are treated VERY differently than everyone else, are given free passes, whereas everyone else gets to face the firing squad.

(And I don't blame those devs I will add, only this system that's been allowed to cultivate.)

The simple truth is, Patreon has made an example of Taffy Tales to prove a point - They can and will come after you, and if they don't feel like actually treating you equally and fair, they don't have to.

Now, I don't know what will happen to me.
Perhaps, this is it for me and Taffy Tales.
Or perhaps, if I'm still around, (due to the obvious budget cuts) - I will have to cut back my work amount.

...Or maybe, this will all blow over and subscribestar (should uber create an account there), will be an instant success.
We just don't know right now.

In light of this, if this is the end of the road for me with Taffy Tales, (for whatever reason).
Then I hope at the very least, I'll be able to see some familiar faces with my own project you can find here:

(I hope that doesn't seem too selfish putting a link to my project there ... But I really don't know for sure what will happen and I *do* have to at least try to make sure I'll be okay - as well as I hope the rest of the team will be no matter what).

I will know more soon on my own fate I imagine.
Pretty worrying time over all though.
This has been pretty much my main job these last few years, and well, now it may be gone which is one hell of a mental mind-fuck for me to deal with right now.
Hopefully, I and everyone else will come out of this alright.

As a final note...

I never imagined the project would blow up the way it did,
and, despite everything...despite if you think the project fell off at some point or whatever...

It was pretty cool for a while, wasn't it?
Hopefully see you on the flip side, space cowboy.

Hopefully, I at least got to make people laugh one more time with that one. :BootyTime:

All I can say I hope for the best, both for TT and Parasite Black :)

Reactions: Ntrsugar

thegrindisreal

Dec 19, 2018
Patreon is known for its very inconsistent enforcement.
The fucks at patreon were masturbating to this game for years and ignoring how it broke all sorts of rules.

But something triggered them recently to shut it down.
My guess? the move to AI art made them stop masturbating to the game.
So now they are angry and decided to shut it down.
Maybe partly to blame is the fallout from Operation Lovecraft cp drama. Maybe patreon employees went into panic mode.
It all started with the discord enforcement.

Then things started to escalate fast. Remember. Countless devs were suspended on hold in december and january.
Who knows.
We can't allow ourselves to get sucked into their madness.
I mean Summertime Saga is still a thing...They even gave the dev an award, knowing he sits on his ass...But delete Taffy Tales...
I agree this could have been just one bad actor from patreon...
On the other side the bank overlords got wind of stuff, and put pressure on patreon.
The only sure thing is to abandon the ship and flee towards subscribestar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntrsugar

shiv88

Nov 17, 2022
I increasingly believe even games that fall under Patreon's TOS, should at the very least have a backup of subscribestar ready.

My main issue is not the question of rules violation, clearly we violated something, but rather,
the grossly unfair treatment of how those rules are applied for some devs and not others.

I was there from watching the page go from suspended to removed, and it all happened within about 48 hours tops.
I can safely say whatever Patreon took issue with, there was little to no chance of actually fixing any problems in such a short window regardless.

I am 99% sure Uberpie would have done whatever it took to keep the Patreon afloat - that includes conforming to whatever changes they asked.

I'm currently in talks with Uberpie about what comes next direction wise, I suppose they'll be an annoucement soon-ish when a decision on the direction to take has been reached.
Thanks for keeping us updated and you made some killer art

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
I mean Summertime Saga is still a thing...They even gave the dev an award, knowing he sits on his ass...But delete Taffy Tales...
summertime also violates a bunch of their terms too.
it has incest up the wazoo. and 90% of the characters there are underage.
and they all go to a high school.

CharlieV

Mar 26, 2023
But in summertime it has different feeling - youre nice to all the girls, everythings mutual, no school in game...

gola16

Sep 14, 2021
Pretty sure they mentioned somewhere the MC is 18 tho with his classmates isn’t he in his final year before college? and darkcookie removed the incest element in dialogue well apart from the Roxy uncle gag part dialogue that is with the southern element of sleeping with your cousins:LOL: but although some parts of the game it may look like it’s incest they don’t ever flat out show it or imply it. MC has his pops and he is staying at a a family friends;) house after his dad passed away

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021
Tbf I think Uberpie violated Patreon's TOS because he used AI for Taffy Tales's CGs.

It may be true that this game was consistently putting its fans under a lot of disappointment. But it's still sad to his patreon gone just like that. I hope Uberpie started a better step in subscriberstars, it's better than not doing anything.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Tbf I think Uberpie violated Patreon's TOS because he used AI for Taffy Tales's CGs.
There is nothing in Patreon Community Guideliness which prohibit the use of AI to create art unless the art violates guidelines already in force (i.e. making content which is not discernable from living persons or rape or minors in sexual situations, etc).

No, the art that Uberpie generates with AI is not realistic and therefore, on its own, would not violate Patreon policies. It's could be a few of the scenes Uberpie created with AI that caused the problem - but that's not AI specific, rather content-specific.

Do not confuse your personal preferences for enforceable guidelines.

3.50 star(s) 346 Votes