Test renders for upcoming game!

T

TechCarmin

oh i know why i like her...she looks very similar to famegirls.net foxy :p

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
You all met the "sister". Time to meet what might be "mom". Tried to make it look like a late sunset. I'm not quite satisfied with her myself and I'm not sure why - maybe it's just the lighting and expression. Anyway, your feedback is appreciated! I'm using Daz3d and the 3Delight engine. Very new to this stuff, but I'm a quick learner and working hard to get everything "just right".

momsisbeachsunset.png

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Thanks guys! I'm a perfectionist and think that I made the lighting a little too red toned, though it does match the sky. I also tried to make it look like they were related yet different. Also, I refuse to use "base models" - I might start with one. But I then modify it in several subtle ways to make something unique and original. Don't know about you folks, but I'm personally tired of seeing the same characters in multiple games. Same for "locations". Trying to find a good balance between render times and quality. There are many things you can do to up the quality in the 3delight engine, but then it starts taking as long to render as iray. I still so far prefer it though as I don't actually want "photorealistic". Aiming for something that looks "animated" yet "alive" while avoiding the "uncanny valley". I don't want my models to look washed out, rushed or like mannequins. A lot of care has gone into these characters and honestly, I might scrap this "mom" and start over. The mom should be around 40-50 in age, having started her family around her early 20's. I personally know some women that age who look much younger than my figure here. I was actually afraid she looked "too old" but I'm glad you guys think she looks good. I might keep her after all.

Here was an early revision of "sister" but I thought she looked "too young". I'm quite satisfied with how she is now, but would kind of like to maybe go back to this and age it up a bit while maintaining the same look.

sister V. 04.png

Additionally, here is a pic I made of the newer sister on a beach at sunset without makeup. Feel I got the lighting more "correct" in this one and it was an earlier test run. I'm always experimenting. Changing values. Tweaking things. I want to give you folks a "polished" product.

sister on beach sunset.png

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
It's not uncommon to see red sunsets or yellow ones. I live in the mountains but have lived in the Great Plains, Hawaii, the Pacific Coast, and 3 different Mountain ranges. The sunsets change color depending on weather and geographic location. I've seen red, orange, yellow, and even violet sunsets. The sunset in post #6 is like a sunset that is almost night like right before the sky starts turning black. The sunset in post #9 would be like a gal on a California beach looking west over the pacific and it's not quite dusk- I'd guess early evening around 6-7 pm?

Reactions: Haexoi

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, you're right! The one in post 6 was meant to be very late dusk just prior to sunset. The last few moments of day light.

Nemi

May 13, 2017
That last picture of the sister on the beach looks excellent. The mom does have quite a youthful face, and I'd imagine that pose she's in makes it hard to render her well. I admire your determination to get it right, this definitely looks promising!

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
That last picture of the sister on the beach looks excellent. The mom does have quite a youthful face, and I'd imagine that pose she's in makes it hard to render her well. I admire your determination to get it right, this definitely looks promising!
The most difficult part of that mom/sister pic was getting rid of the noise in the daughters teeth. I could have just closed her mouth. But no. I wanted her as she was and I didn't want black speckles all over her teeth. It looked awful. I had to resort to uberenvironment2 with hiquality settings and global illumination, with bounce(in most cases occlusion with soft shadows will suffice). Most renders in Daz look okay with a raytrace depth of 1. I think I went for 3(traces the light across 3 bounces). It took a few hours of spot rendering her mouth with different quality settings and the final image(original was larger) took about 5 hours to render. All the other pics took 20-30 minutes to render, except for the one on the beach with depth of field. That took maybe ~40 minutes.

Reactions: TheDevian

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I like the earlier version of the sister. She looks more realistic and closer to the style of the mom model. Cuter, too. 18 is such an ambiguous age....

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Just loaded up that revision. Let's see how she looks on the beach! Different lighting and things for that light to bounce off of make big differences.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Might I suggest you play around with the contrast? I think a little increase will go a long way in sharpening the details.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Damn. I couldn't stop playing with it. Ok, here's a sample with slight increase in brightness, contrast, and saturation. I'll stop now. :kisskiss:

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
I haven't done any post processing at all yet. I can probably adjust the contrast within the render, but might be easier/quicker to just load up gimp and play with some values and do some equalization techniques.

I seriously appreciate the input you guys are giving me. I know I'm on the right track, but I do have a couple things stacked against me. I'm mildly red-green color blind for one thing. For another I have almost no experience with this stuff except for the journey I began just a month or so ago. Any help/information or feedback is what I need to make sure I hit my target. Which is to frankly set a new standard for these kinds of games. I am getting Walter White anal about it.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Also, see if you can find more realistic looking skin textures. I have no idea what's available for the software you're using, but after modding Skyrim for the past 5 years, I'm fairly sure there are some available somewhere. Good luck!