Test renders for upcoming game!

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Also, see if you can find more realistic looking skin textures. I have no idea what's available for the software you're using, but after modding Skyrim for the past 5 years, I'm fairly sure there are some available somewhere. Good luck!
The skin textures are realistic. The lighting and shaders is what makes them look matte. Distance is part of it. I'll show you a close up of her face....

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
so both versions of "sister" are nearly identical, except for makeup and longer lashes(maybe a slight tweak on one of the head morphs). I just noticed though that what I was calling an "earlier revision" - lacks eyebrows. She only gets them with makeup. Frankly she looks better without it.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Sorry it took so long to reply. Been wrestling with a tooth infection and daz3d. Playing with different lights and so on. I'm amazed how much a difference small changes makes. So here is "earlier revision" of the sister. Rendered on the island, with (nearly) the same facial expression. Only real differences between her and the latter version were makeup, longer eyelashes, and I think some values on a couple of morphs but nothing too dramatic. muah.png

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Forgot to mention, I gave her eyebrows here(default skin had very faint ones). And added the pony tail. Adjusted the highlights. I like her better without the ponytail myself, but I'm still incubating things. As a side note, what is your opinion on using "toon shaders"? For example:
toonshadeexample.png

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
I spent the last couple days fiddling with the iray rendering engine - then let this cook for 15 hours. Maybe in the future I can use iray, but for now it's just not practical.

iray test small.png

Reactions: Archast

Archast

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2016
Iray is nice but it's not for every machine out there, I have a beefy computer and I see it struggling with Iray on daz, if only we had a more viable option for photorealism

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
I'm satisfied with what I can do in 3delight and I can crank out a good hd image in 20-40 minutes. Still playing with things to see how I can push it's limits. Lighting makes a HUGE difference. Both in quality and render times.

drlmnz

Aug 24, 2016
I think the skin looks a little flat in the first couple of images of the "sister" character. While the shadow areas are there, the highlights are either not there or they're plain white. In the last image you posted (#27), the lighting/shading of the skin looks a lot better imo, but the face of the girl seems like 10 years older (not around 18), i don't know if its those lines at the sides of the nose or the general expression of her face.

Overall, i'd say a little bit more depth (skin texture wise) goes a long way to make the game more engaging, but they do look nice.

Aside from that, im a graphic designer and im looking to get involved in the game developing world in some form, so if you need a hand with anything (specially graphics related), let me know.

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
Post #27 was done in iray while the others were done in 3delight. They are two very different rendering engines. 3delight is a bit easier to work with but lends itself to the "flat" look you're describing. For now I sort of have to use 3delight because iray takes entirely too long to render. I'm poking at 3delight trying to get the lighting better. So far I'm handling everything on my own and until this thing brings in some money, I'm wary of working with or relying upon others. I appreciate the offer and feedback though! Will definitely keep you in mind as this is a lot of work :)

drlmnz

Aug 24, 2016
I was suggesting more of a free collaboration instead of a paid one, i like designing and doing stuff like that. Plus i don't mind helping someone thats starting out, cause i know it can be overwhelming in one way or another.
To be more specific; i could help you with your brand/logo, game brand/logo, other titles/labels, user interfaces/menus/icons/etc.

I completely understand the thing about working with or relying on other people, so im not gonna push you on the subject. Just know that my offer stands.

drlmnz

Aug 24, 2016
in this last pic she looks sooo much better, congratulations man!
the skin has depth, light and shade work very well and the color of the skin is natural looking.

now im really looking forward to to see what game you come up with!
keep it up.

Reactions: Haexoi

Haexoi

Apr 12, 2017
In her beach shot, I tried to make it look like an early sunrise and went overboard with yellowing the sunlight. That last picture I used good 3 point light setup. Subtle blue ambient to her right so her face wasn't completely in shadow. Rim light behind was also blue which with sub-surface scattering(technical term for how light passes through skin) gives her that blueish tint around her edges. I'm telling you man, I few weeks ago I knew nothing about any of this shit.