The best program for 3D characters?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1368804
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1368804

Hello everybody :)

I am a first time poster and first time game maker.

I have been wanting to make a RPG maker game with 3D art for a while now, and I finally have some spare time now to start.
I have the RPG maker stuff down, and pretty much know where to go with that.

BUT!

My problem is, that I now need a program for making 3D male and female characters easily.
I am not a very good artist or anything like that, so I need suggestions on a program I can use for making easy customisable characters in many different poses and in many different outfits with different backgrounds.

What program would you guys suggest?

Thank you in advance :)

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Making 3d characters in blender or any 3d software and using the word easily in the same sentence is not something that should go together. If you want to make a pretty girl for a game use DAZ, if want to learn how to 3d model use blender/max/mayer.

irisGameDev

Dec 3, 2019
Making 3d characters in blender or any 3d software and using the word easily in the same sentence is not something that should go together. If you want to make a pretty girl for a game use DAZ, if want to learn how to 3d model use blender/max/mayer.
Unles you want to include the actual character mesh in your game. If you use Daz3D, youl have to pay for the mesh license, while Blender is totally free. If you suck at 3D art just like me and don't want to spend money, you can use MakeHuman to create the character and then export to Blender.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Pretending anyone but a VERY experienced modeller with incredible artistic talent can just "make humans" in blender is ridiculous. Even most commercial 3d characters by high end studios look ridiculous. There is no software when it comes to humans that competes with daz. Full stop

Reactions: recreation

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Pretending anyone but a VERY experienced modeller with incredible artistic talent can just "make humans" in blender is ridiculous. Even most commercial 3d characters by high end studios look ridiculous. There is no software when it comes to humans that competes with daz. Full stop
Well someone had to make those daz models before they were in daz...

one of the steps in the process of making a 3D human or anything is called 'retopology,' where you take a rough or final sculpt, and make a simpler or cleaner 3D mesh that allows for nice deformations so that it can be used in animations (disney/pixar). simple to understand/learn, hard to master, takes a lot of skill and experience to do good topology. I felt pretty good about my skills about it, but when inspecting the daz topology, I had to bow down to how they did the shoulder loop, I have never seen a more perfect shoulder loop topology, either from myself or from other artist/tutorials. Before I committed to actually using daz characters I was thinking of just replicating their shoulder loop because I loved it so much, but then I decided I should start putting in money into my passion so now i'm a basic daz user.

Reactions: irisGameDev

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Daz characters are made in other programs. And Daz characters don't look human. They are way to dol like.

And come on. Have you seen some of the cutscenes of AAA titles? You really telling me those look worse than Daz ones? Or the de-aging technology in movies? You realise those are 3d models right...

The in game characters, especially in 3D games, isn't limited by the artist skills, but by the performance requirements. If the hardware could handle it, AAA studios can create games with characters and worlds barely distinctive from real life.

Last edited:

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018

This the best by far if you want realistic humans, and don't want to do it from scratch. And these will be very performance optimized models, so not much optimization needed for a real time renderer.

Last edited:
Reactions: irisGameDev

irisGameDev

Dec 3, 2019

This the best by far if you want realistic humans, and don't want to do it from scratch. And these will be very performance optimized models, so not much optimization needed for a real time renderer.
Thanks for your suggestion. At first sight looks like a great solution, but... Does this software generate characters WITH genitalia?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
The in game characters, especially in 3D games, isn't limited by the artist skills, but by the performance requirements. If the hardware could handle it, AAA studios can create games with characters and worlds barely distinctive from real life.
They ARE limited by artists skills, and also by hardware limitations. The best hardware can't make a bad model look better (aside from shaders and lighting of course).
The same goes for Daz as well, only because you see a lot of unrealistic models from amateur devs (who usually have no idea about 3D modeling, or rendering), doesn't mean that Daz isn't capable of doing realistic models. Fact is that there aren't many render solutions that can do realistic models out of the box with little to no experience. Daz is a great start for such people, even for pro's it's a great solution for quick scene creation.

Looks interesting, thx for the link!

Reactions: lancelotdulak

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
They ARE limited by artists skills, and also by hardware limitations. The best hardware can't make a bad model look better (aside from shaders and lighting of course).
I was talking about triple AAA studio's and those aren't limited by artist skills. They have the money and the 'pulling power' (as in people want to work there) to hire artists for any style they want. Like look at Blizzard and their cut scenes or trailers; they are all made in house by Blizzard, and they are super detailed and barely distinguishable from reality (well except for the demons and shit). Just watch the diablo 4 announcement, and tell me their artists cannot make super realistic characters/environments.

But in game? Fuck no. Even if they could make a game with realistic graphics work on some insane computer internally, they wouldn't do it. It needs to be playable on the average Joes computer.

I didnt said Daz doesnt look somewhat realistic. For how 'easy' it is to start with, it has pretty good models. But the guy said Daz models where the most realistic ones in the world. And that's just complete bullshit.

But you won't get super realistic models from Daz, as the models themselves are just to perfect like (which make them to doll like). No imperfections, little scars, red spots, etc, always perfect body sizes, etc.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I agree with the rest, but:
But you won't get super realistic models from Daz, as the models themselves are just to perfect like (which make them to doll like). No imperfections, little scars, red spots, etc, always perfect body sizes, etc.
If you don't look into it and always use the most basic models, you won't have/find/see anything unique, but I can assure you, that has nothing to do with Daz, but rather with what people use.
There are unique and imperfectly looking models, but many people simply like perfect skin/doll like looking models. Also, people usually choose what they know or like, what they have seen before, especially beginner tend to use models they have seen before or are well known.

The thing is, Daz is really easy to get started with, characters look good out of the box, so a lot of people with not idea about grafics, modeling, rendering and whatnot use it, but you can't expect them to make perfectly photorealistic render out of the box, that's where it get's more complicated, you can't achieve photorealistic render by just posing a base model, droping a nice looking background into the scene and hit the render button, you'll have to dig deeper for that, you have to know what you're doing. I use Daz for while now and I'm still learning a lot of new stuff every time I create a new render.

Another thing is that as a dev (small devs like here on f95, not AAA devs), you usually don't have the time to make every render perfect, you have to make a compromise between looks and the time spend on a render.

As I said before, you might see a lot of basic Daz render around the web, but that doesn't change the fact that you CAN make unique and photorealistic models/render for/with Daz.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
this is a neat fight :p
I think one of the reason so many daz characters look like dolls would be that most creators are hobbiest, so art skill is a limitation. but what is art skill?

have you herad things can be both an art and a science. The way I think of it is, art, you see what works, you mess around and bump into the known, until you find things (like the uncanny valley), then science studies the findings and tries to find more, and then it comes back to art, which is, once you know the rules you can play within them or push them (ie color theory). Thats not including technical skill of acutally making the art, such as the importance of bone length to width ratio that pretty much most daz models don't change unless you are using custom sculpted character from the store.