Vreejack

Oct 7, 2018
Given the massive contraction in the population prior to the game, I think that a small laundromat could operate just with salvaged washing machines. Most houses would have a washing machine to salvage, so it'd be years before they ran out.
This is actually one of the flaws of the world concept in this game. After a massive population drop, the survivors inherit everything. Moveable property, real estate, good farm land, commodities... all resources become cheaper to buy. After the black death in Europe there was great prosperity for generations, until the population explosion returned everyone to to regular malthusian poverty.

Even better, the plague in this game killed off all the pensioners and other non-productive people in the economy who ordinarily consume a great deal. This means that for every producer, the number consumers has dropped by about half, so you can keep twice as much of what you produce. Everyone should be very wealthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: XulOnTuesday

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
This is actually one of the flaws of the world concept in this game. After a massive population drop, the survivors inherit everything. Moveable property, real estate, good farm land, commodities... all resources become cheaper to buy. After the black death in Europe there was great prosperity for generations, until the population explosion returned everyone to to regular malthusian poverty.

Even better, the plague in this game killed off all the pensioners and other non-productive people in the economy who ordinarily consume a great deal. This means that for every producer, the number consumers has dropped by about half, so you can keep twice as much of what you produce. Everyone should be very wealthy.
Population drops aren't good for post industrial economies. Makes it harder to fund infrastructure, leaves job openings that are hard to fill, that leads to failing businesses which leads to production shortages. Given how public order degenerated the people on top now probably horded the bulk of those resources preventing them from being distributed evenly. Too many people died for it to have been just the unproductive demographics even if they were over represented as casualties.
So now on top of wealth and resource inequality we've got inconsistent water and electric infrastructure, factories without enough workers and wasted property from failed businesses.
Material conditions between the plague and now are so vastly different that you can't use it as a case study for societal implications to a similar or worse plague in modern times.

Penitensary

May 10, 2020

You also lose out on a great amount of amassed working experience and knowledge from those people.

For a real world example, look at Zimbabwe. Then-President Mugabe chased off the (mostly older) predominantly white farmers with the intent to give the land to his followers -- less than a year later, the nation went from exporting food to massively importing food and experiencing a famine, simply because the people now in charge of the farms didn't know how to efficiently operate the machinery and work the fields:

Since 1999 the commercial farming sector has been increasingly disrupted by illegal farm occupations and other forms of violence directed at the farmers and their workers. As a consequence output declined sharply during 2002 and is expected to fall even more during 2003.

At the same time drought has resulted in a serious crop failure – virtually 100 per cent in the southern and western parts of the country and reducing the yield potential of northern area crops by 50 per cent of more. Only the very reduced soybean crop – 85 per cent under irrigation, was estimated to yield something close to original estimates.
Now look at a city, where there are many more interdependent production chains all running at the same time, and a plague would indeed have all that come crashing down rather spectacularly, which is what should and most likely has happened here.

Warphorror

Jan 2, 2018

It depends also of the logistics chains of your production and consumption. While there is a correlation between wealth and ressources with standard of living, it's not a 1:1 equivalence. The game is set in a world where there is a societal collapse and that greatly affect the standard of living. In fact given that there is such a market for prostitution, which is a consumer service, in the town means that there is probably quite a good value that is created in the town but not enough jobs for the population and/or a lot of low value basic produce that the town has in abundance, ie food. Basically the working population has enough money and/or food, necessities, to spend on non vital service but not a lot of quality of life to buy.

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020

-- --

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
I might be asking a rhetorical question that's been answered a million times already, but... will there be Steam version eventually?
No. Having a school means I will instantly fail the submission process and I am not quite sure where I stand in terms of copyright.

• Sad
Reactions: FTFaceless

FTFaceless

Jan 9, 2023
No. Having a school means I will instantly fail the submission process and I am not quite sure where I stand in terms of copyright.
Probably the same reason DoL devs avoiding Steam although agressively claiming there is no sus content, up to the point of banning people on Discord for pointing it out. At least you honest with yourself, still sad tho. Steam is the only platform available to me.

magic karl

Jan 1, 2019
Robin is broken in new update. Have run into her 8 or 10 times and she keeps telling me she is new room mate. Repeating same line each time and her room does not show in apartment. New game, not old save.

3.90 star(s) 55 Votes