Ren'Py The Library Story [v0.97.5.5] [Latissa & Xaljio]

2.50 star(s) 29 Votes

Zellemate

Community Manager For HeavenStudios
Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
Well think both these devs. have normal jobs and only have time for this project as a hobby activity.
And that's why we are seeing very slow releases.... none of them have promised anything like monthly releases or each 2nd / 3rd month either, so hard to sit and whine when nothing like this is on the table.
It would be nice really to see Latissa work on this much more, and also change her payment method to reflect this.
I would also really like to see some kind of remaster / artupdate. She have been drawing on this game for 3/4 years now? but I don't see the art improving.... maybe its more because she tries to match her current art idk.

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
Can only agree, this project is way more a hobby for the devs. then anything else.
I really hoped they would change their work methods and pledge system too speed the release dates up,
and at the same time make some $ so they can hire more help.
Guess that will not happen anytime soon : (

DigitalFire

Aug 20, 2017
This is the reason why I pirate the adult games. I remember that they said they were going to finish it last year then they added an intermediate version, then another intermediate version without really adding anything worth the time. Why the F do you add a new character to the game, if you're developing the game by baby steps already, just finish what you have. If a game developer says "Sorry" once, be cautious, if he says it twice, that means he's bored of the project and he's making up excuses to keep milking the project, probably won't ever complete it and I've seen it many times.
I won't lie.. with every update I check it with a tiny bit of hope inside.. Despite the unstoppable, the all-mighty "intermediate" versions kept flowing through for I forgot how long.. They never disappoint.. to disappoint me.. I'll check again in a year, tho.
But hey! They're working hard alright?! Look at all these intermediate versions! See? Imagine how hard was it to change the filename from 0.93 to 0.94..
Well think both these devs. have normal jobs and only have time for this project as a hobby activity.
And that's why we are seeing very slow releases.... none of them have promised anything like monthly releases or each 2nd / 3rd month either, so hard to sit and whine when nothing like this is on the table.
It would be nice really to see Latissa work on this much more, and also change her payment method to reflect this.
I would also really like to see some kind of remaster / artupdate. She have been drawing on this game for 3/4 years now? but I don't see the art improving.... maybe its more because she tries to match her current art idk.
First of all, they DID promise to finish the game multiple times then they kept delaying for YEARS and added tons of intermediate versions that really didn't have any new content at all. If they spent the amount of effort to finish the game with Belle and governor's daughter instead of creating those crappy side-characters that most people didn't care at all, it would already be finished. It's so stupid to try to defend such an attitude.

Ungaa

Feb 14, 2019
SMH at this entitled community... its like you all wanna join some boycott movement so you can feed your sense of not belonging in the world by being on the "same side" of the negative sentiments. You're part of the "in" crowd now kids well done: have a lolly. You've really contributed to improving the community and the game as a whole... -.- probably the same kids who complain they can't get a job because they have no qualifications nor skillsets.

Sarcasm aside: Really guys: Its a fine game. The game's always had slow releases but each release comes out relatively bug free.
I'd rather the authors complete the game slowly and be up to an akabur standard rather than just chuck H-content at these little whiners and call it a day.
I'm sure we'd all love a monthly release but we know its not a thing here so just sit and be patient.

JBukharin

Feb 8, 2018
I think there is some explanation to make about this. Akabur is doing most of this stuff alone (once in a while he could contact Dahr) and he would always manage up a proper schedule for his updates/patches. There are two developers behind this project, their combined income almost half of what Akabur currently gain monthly (which wasn't that much before grand releases like Princess Trainer: Gold Edition and co.) and some 'expectations' starts to come to light.
While I will currently abstain myself from this debate, I still think there is a lack of... something from the devs. It's not the art, I love it, and not even the storyline. Something is missing, something Akabur managed to impress on people from his very first game.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Ungaa

DigitalFire

Aug 20, 2017
SMH at this entitled community... its like you all wanna join some boycott movement so you can feed your sense of not belonging in the world by being on the "same side" of the negative sentiments. You're part of the "in" crowd now kids well done: have a lolly. You've really contributed to improving the community and the game as a whole... -.- probably the same kids who complain they can't get a job because they have no qualifications nor skillsets.

Sarcasm aside: Really guys: Its a fine game. The game's always had slow releases but each release comes out relatively bug free.
I'd rather the authors complete the game slowly and be up to an akabur standard rather than just chuck H-content at these little whiners and call it a day.
I'm sure we'd all love a monthly release but we know its not a thing here so just sit and be patient.
"Akabur standart", ugh.. you mean the games with chibi animations and tons of useless dialogues? If you like those kinds of games, you must be just damn fine reading stories off reddit or some websites, that's some low standart I infact envy. Being slow isn't the whole issue here, LYING to milk the game is.

Sep 3, 2017
so 7 months of no content is the norm? my god, nobody tells DarkCookie about this!
They said this game is not the main work of them, and they decided to release a big version (with decent amount of content) instead of several small parts. Then we should not expect too much.

Lynn

May 21, 2017

It's kind of uncanny how easy it is to miss the entire point... And I have no clue what you're on about with the job market. How is that even related?
But yeah, thank you for your contribution to the "community", whining about whiners certainly gets something done. Condescending random people as a random person on the internet, that always turns out fine.

Reactions: swmas

Ungaa

Feb 14, 2019
It's kind of uncanny how easy it is to miss the entire point... And I have no clue what you're on about with the job market. How is that even related?
But yeah, thank you for your contribution to the "community", whining about whiners certainly gets something done. Condescending random people as a random person on the internet, that always turns out fine.
I'm just calling out negativity and what I'm perceiving as the average maturity age of the kids complaining. I guess its easy to offend when people are already disgruntled.
My contribution was to simply voice support for the game. It's kind of uncanny how easy it is to miss the entire point...

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017

The game is good, some parts of it are even great. I remember laughing my ass off at some scenes while also enjoying the way the game took with its slow corruption. But looking at it as a whole, it is a bold statement to even call it "fine". It may very well be bug free, but if there have been next to no additions for what basically has been half a year, there's also a high chance that there are next to no bugs.
When all you get are small extras here and there when big promises have been made, only so you have to wait for as long as you do with this game for what is basically no payoff, people are gonna be annoyed to the point of no longer supporting the dev - been there, done that.

Besides, the "Akabur Standard" would mean piss-poor writing that borders on cringy with horribly animated chibi graphics that more often than not flicker out of position. To even associate this with Akaburs works only because they took inspiration from him is honestly an insult to the quality they quite clearly could deliver.

The matter of the fact is extremely simple - the devs are either just not finding the time, in which case, don't run a Patreon. Or, more likely based on their pattern - they are simply lazy and enjoy the extra cash influx. Until proven otherwise, I'm gonna assume the latter... I'll call it the "Guantanamo Bay" approach.

Ungaa

Feb 14, 2019
The game is good, some parts of it are even great. I remember laughing my ass off at some scenes while also enjoying the way the game took with its slow corruption. But looking at it as a whole, it is a bold statement to even call it "fine". It may very well be bug free, but if there have been next to no additions for what basically has been half a year, there's also a high chance that there are next to no bugs.
When all you get are small extras here and there when big promises have been made, only so you have to wait for as long as you do with this game for what is basically no payoff, people are gonna be annoyed to the point of no longer supporting the dev - been there, done that.

Besides, the "Akabur Standard" would mean piss-poor writing that borders on cringy with horribly animated chibi graphics that more often than not flicker out of position. To even associate this with Akaburs works only because they took inspiration from him is honestly an insult to the quality they quite clearly could deliver.

The matter of the fact is extremely simple - the devs are either just not finding the time, in which case, don't run a Patreon. Or, more likely based on their pattern - they are simply lazy and enjoy the extra cash influx. Until proven otherwise, I'm gonna assume the latter... I'll call it the "Guantanamo Bay" approach.
I see your point and understand the frustration. Reminds me of simbros -> when they got hacked/taken over (or whatever happened) so I see why people are worried about their "investment" -> that said: some of the people here don't even donate and spread the negativity.

I feel the trouble with the negativity is that it won't help the cause. I don't think they have the intention of squandering money as their approach with almost half yearly updates has been a consistent thing. As a programmer: it is very discouraging when you're faced with the situation where you find you "play the monkey" and do things to satisfy purely for the sake of satisfying the audience. Easy to burn out through the grind that is scripting.
$734 per month: writing one scene + bug fixing and animation takes ~14 hours of work (If they are efficient at scripting). Say you want a completed saga (6-7 scenes) in a month's update -> they'd be making less than $8 per hour on this job. Sure with their update rate they probably are making a decent amount per hour. Even if this is the case though: this is why it's called a "donation" rather than a "paid prescription". Latissa could even be an alias for 2 workers behind the scenes. Also in terms of pure income $734 is hardly a good month's income.

Tbh I just want the game to not come to an abrupt stop: its come too far to have a rushed ending or to be discontinued. I don't think trying to boycott/spreading negativity is the way to go.

Also: Akabur games -> honestly princess trainer is 10/10. That was probably one of the most complete games I've played. I don't see why the hate.

Mar 7, 2018
I played this so long ago, and then i did not want to play again because the saves did not work(alot of grinding in this game) but it had some great characters and some really funny moments, its been in dev for a long time but and i see Latissa lost alot of Patreons. Hope they will be able to finish the game because i loved some of the chars like Betsy the thief and mayors daughter,(was she called Betsy?) was my favorite.

Zellemate

Game Developer
Dec 13, 2016
I see your point and understand the frustration. Reminds me of simbros -> when they got hacked/taken over (or whatever happened) so I see why people are worried about their "investment" -> that said: some of the people here don't even donate and spread the negativity.

I feel the trouble with the negativity is that it won't help the cause. I don't think they have the intention of squandering money as their approach with almost half yearly updates has been a consistent thing. As a programmer: it is very discouraging when you're faced with the situation where you find you "play the monkey" and do things to satisfy purely for the sake of satisfying the audience. Easy to burn out through the grind that is scripting.
$734 per month: writing one scene + bug fixing and animation takes ~14 hours of work (If they are efficient at scripting). Say you want a completed saga (6-7 scenes) in a month's update -> they'd be making less than $8 per hour on this job. Sure with their update rate they probably are making a decent amount per hour. Even if this is the case though: this is why it's called a "donation" rather than a "paid prescription". Latissa could even be an alias for 2 workers behind the scenes. Also in terms of pure income $734 is hardly a good month's income.

Tbh I just want the game to not come to an abrupt stop: its come too far to have a rushed ending or to be discontinued. I don't think trying to boycott/spreading negativity is the way to go.

Also: Akabur games -> honestly princess trainer is 10/10. That was probably one of the most complete games I've played. I don't see why the hate.
To be fair, they amount of money earned here is split, Latisa and Xiljo(the coder) each have their patreon page - Latissa is at 716$ right now but have been way higher, I remember it at around 1100/1200$ at least. Xiljo is at 1340$ right now and again I remember this number being way higher, around 1500+ or even more.
There is a reason these numbers have declined, and the amount of money vs content is more then fair imo.

Reactions: genthrow

napapadaan

Mar 7, 2018
Can someone share the android port of this game thanks in advance I think the dev already posted that that they released an android last july for the last version.

2.50 star(s) 29 Votes