mbRjpZLD

Apr 28, 2017
Has the original artist actually released this to the public domain? On that github page there's a line that says:

But that's not the same as it being in the public domain. If it's actually been released it could simply have been released under a license that allows non-profit usage. Either way, I have seen no meaningful source saying what the deal is here.

And in the end the game also includes other images and videos of Riley, Bailey, etc, which are no doubt copyrighted.
It's a weird discussion from start to finish.
I also pointed out earlier in this thread that the public availability of these images are legally questionable at the very least.
Yeah someone is hosting them on a github but I do not believe the original artist explicitely released them under a license that makes them public domain. So yeah, the art is stolen and of course we're on a piracy site so none of us here are innocent, but I still believe there is a difference between downloading a game that is patreon-only and making hundreds of dollars per month using stolen art.

Apr 29, 2017
For anyone wanting to fix the WebM not displaying issue, as explained by austinhainey, you can open the HTML file with notepad++ or your favorite editor, and use this regex to find the img src / video src typo errors :
Code:
^.*?\img\b.*?\webm\b.*?
great tip!

Cheers!

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
Has the original artist actually released this to the public domain? On that github page there's a line that says:

But that's not the same as it being in the public domain. If it's actually been released it could simply have been released under a license that allows non-profit usage. Either way, I have seen no meaningful source saying what the deal is here.

And in the end the game also includes other images and videos of Riley, Bailey, etc, which are no doubt copyrighted.
It's a weird discussion from start to finish.
Right. But to be fair there are very few games on this site and being supported on patreon that don't violate some form of copywright or other laws if the game in question was to be put up for sale. Patreon developers generally sell themselves as the product vs their product itself creating a certain loophole as they put up their games for "free" to the general public.

The discussion is rather moot when you think of it in that sense.

bonzz

Mar 17, 2018
Since you're on Linux, don't forget the handy "file"-binary. When nothing else makes sense, throw it at file and it will spit out some handy metadata that may lead you down the right path.
Thanks, already knew about that but still someone else may benefit. I usually do an xxd | head or xxd | less and check first few hex, I think that's how most mime types are defined apart from some special use cases.

Reactions: numanumani

radacazz

Oct 6, 2017
I dind't play, but one thing I'm sure of. That's Akabur's Hermione in his Witch Trainer. What. have. you. done. to. her.
C'mon I get the enthusiasm, gorgeous model, you wanna make a game, let's put Riley to spice up everything... but you can do better, if you do such things on your own. With your style and so on.
No offense intended. Peace.

Reactions: SenPC
Aug 29, 2017
I believe you will find that in many legal regions the legal state known as Public Domain means that
exclusive intellectual property rights (like Copyright) no longer apply because such rights have either expired, been forfeited, or
been expressly waived.

One of the main points of something being placing into the Public Domain is that it is now owned by the Public (of the relevant legal regions).
You know public domain is for works created specifically under that license or 70 years after the author's death right? We've got a while to go before the latter happens. The former almost never happens, because there are much better licenses out there for creators who want to release stuff for people to use.

If the original artist didn't explicitly state that you're allowed to edit, or redistribute their art, you can't legally do that. If you buy a Disney cartoon on amazon, you don't suddenly have the rights to the Mickey Mouse character art. Legally, you can only do with the art what the creator allows you to do, that's the very basics of copyright law.

Ethically is a different matter, but I would appreciate it if people stopped jumping through weird hoops to prove that it's legally fine when we're on a piracy board in the first place.

Personally, I believe piracy is good for devs so that people who can't afford their stuff can engage in discussions around their product, but people making money from other people's art is shitty, especially when you can afford to pay the original artist. I also think you should contribute what you can afford to artists who make stuff you like, so they can keep making stuff, but I recognise this isn't everyone's situation.

Reactions: Nobby

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
... or 70 years after the author's death right?
I believe you will find that the legal conditions under which something automatically becomes Public Domain varies both on the type of work and the legal region being referenced.

eg.
a. some regal regions use a different number of years as a bench mark.
b. Medium types (Book, Film, Music, etc..) can have different benchmarks.
c. some regal regions automatically placed works created before a set date into the Public Domain.
(in some instances when the creator of the work was still alive!)
d. a work can be still under Copyright (or equivalent) in one regal region while being in the Public Domain in another.

...because there are much better licenses out there for creators who want to release stuff for people to use.
You are aware that those other 'licenses' are generally all legal variations of Copyright?
And that it's generally the legal region's Copyright (and possibly Contract) related laws/regulations that make those 'licenses' enforceable.

If the original artist....
You may of noticed that at no time did I make reference to the original artist or their works, that I was only talking about the topic of Public Domain.
I have no way of knowing exactly how the original artist's works are licenced (Copyright or some other), nor whether they have been added to the Public Domain or not, which is why I didn't mention them in my comment about what Public Domain is.

Ethically is a different matter.... Personally, I believe...
I left it up to others to determine what they personally find ethical and what they choose to believe is right in this situation.

RL99

Jun 22, 2018
Version: .0.3.6 (Public)

.0.3.6 Bugfix, content update *varied*, new clothes+animation

Reactions: eagleslash

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
It's one million percent not in the public domain, just to be clear.
That's not the evidence, that's just repeating the claim. Where is your evidence of that?

---

I think the real case here is that people don't like its blatancy.
It's blatancy of doing what? Something it's not actually doing?

So yes the argument is Moot, but still the consensus seems that it is in bad taste to imitate another author without at least acknowledging said author.
Since when is it in bad taste to use art which was made publicly available expressly for the purpose for which it's being used?

Also, "consensus" doesn't matter if the majority of people are uninformed or misinformed about the status of that art and it's ability to be used by others. isn't evidence, it's just a logical fallacy.

I mean, it's like going into a bag of peanut M&M's, fully aware that it's a bag of peanut M&M's, finding a regular M&M in it, and then complaining about how your bag of peanut M&M's has a peanut M&M in it. I mean, you managed to find the one non-peanut M&M in the whole bag, and that one is the one you complain about for having a peanut in it?

Insanity! :p
Swing an a miss I'm afraid. M&M/Mars is allowed to do whatever they want with their own product, However should Nestle start putting m&Ms in their chocolate bar that would be a problem. This is more like the latter scenario than the former as the current body of work is not created by or endorsed by Akabur himself.

...OK, let me kill the joke by explaining the metaphor to you. The "bag of peanut M&M's" is F95Zone and a "peanut" refers to pirated material. You're in a place, totally surrounded by pirated material, and the one thing you choose to complain about being pirated here, the only thing, happens to one of the very few examples of something here which isn't piracy.

This point has totally flown over your head and I find that utterly mind boggling.

3.40 star(s) 21 Votes