VN Ren'Py The Moorcock Incident [Dev Thread] - Big Titty Snobbish Girl Slow Corruption

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Welcome to the development thread of "The Moorcock Incident".

I wrote several versions of this first post, but they all got longer and longer when I tried to explain everything. So I'll save all those words for later posts. For now, here is the important stuff:

Ultra TL;DR: Version

I'm making a game inspired by On Edge. It's a Busty heroine corruption theme with a gloryhole minigame.
In spaaaace. :alien:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Here's a very early image of the minigame screen, using AI placeholder art and default RenPy UI elements. The release version will (obviously) be far more polished... but my first priority is to get the code working. It's kinda complex to do the semi-realtime event triggered animation in RenPy.

1714221592989.png

I'm looking forward to sharing more info and samples with you as I make progress, and welcome your feedback. You filthy degenerates. :love:

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
And for those who want more details, here is a more thorough explanation of the origin of this project, and then a brief introduction to the "story so far..."

Why this project?

I've been floating around this programming and development corner of F95 for a while now, dropping uninvited advice and overconfident statements left and right.

Some years ago when I was still a newcomer to F95, I stumbled across a little game titled "On Edge"...

I thought it was great! Very tasty boobalicious artwork from the titty-queen artist herself ScarlettAnn, an interesting and well considered story concept, a self-important young FMC fallen into a situation where she has to allow herself to be corrupted for the greater good... and a clever, entertaining, and very sexy-hot mini-game. The only downside was the RPGM game engine...

I even put my money where my mouth is (or perhaps where my dick directed it...) and become a patron. For years. Always hoping, always ready to give the dev another chance... simply because I loved the concept and the execution.

But then, sadly, the dev abandoned* the game... (* continued to milk patrons for years without delivering anything for 2.5+ years and counting)

This left me sad and disappointed, feeling like there was a "intelligent, uptight, prudish girl with big honkers that is unavoidably corrupted by dirty old men" hole in my heart.

All along the way, I've been helping several other devs with their games as a volunteer, doing proofreading, editing and play-testing. It has been a great experience and I'm proud to have been a small contributor to the quality of those projects (and please, go ahead and check some of those games that are listed in my footer if you haven't already!)

And so we come to the present day... where it's time to actually try this game development thing for myself. I've got a dirty mind, lots of practice writing script and dialogue, some programming ability, and a burning desire for a certain type of game to exist in the world.

Introducing "The Moorcock Incident"

The story is set in distant future, and the action is located within a far flung sector of the United Earth Forces territory.
Our heroine is a young, recently graduated molecular biologist named Juliette. Despite her inexperience she was lucky enough to be selected to join the crew of the Deep Space Research Vessel "UEF DSRV Moorcock".

While serving as junior science officer on her first mission, she is unfortunate enough to be the only crew member who is out of cryo-sleep when the Ship AI detects the distress signal of a small craft located within an nearby asteroid field. As it would take at least two days to wake a more senior crew person from hibernation, Juliette authorizes an approach to the asteroid under the guidance of the Ship's AI, and ends up rescuing three starving space miners from the stranded ship.

When the trio come onboard, Juliette learns that their small ship had lost power to it's bio-warp engines and the nutrient breeder vats had failed too, leaving them unable to return to safety and without a sustainable food source. She also soon finds that they are crude and lowbrow men, and interacting with them is entirely unlike her past life surrounded by the noble and considerate behavior standards expected within the UEF. Despite her personal distaste for their poor manners and lewd suggestions, she maintains her dignity and trusts that the Ship's internal defense systems will protect her in need.

Besides, she has more pressing things to worry about - her own vessel suddenly begins showing signs of the same type of system failures - no warp power, and no food source other than emergency rations.

The AI cancels the wake-up sequence of the other senior crew members in order to conserve food, and Juliette throws herself into searching for answers about what has infected the Moorcock's biological systems. Luckily she is the perfect woman for the job as this type of research is her specialty, and with a Science AI module loaded to the computer core to help her, she quickly makes progress in identifying the cause - nanoscopic alien particles, multiplying and ruining the fluid in the breeder vats.

She theorizes that the source of the particles must have been something the miners had encountered on the asteroid... and if so, this would be the first evidence of new alien life found in decades! Not only does she need to solve the mystery to save herself and her crewmates, but now she has a duty to bring this discovery back to the UEF chain of command! Which also would see her become famous as the biologist who discovered the new life form...

Unfortunately, the research vessel does not have sufficient stocks of the chemical reagents she needs to isolate and control the aggressively multiplying invaders. Juliette fears that all is lost... until the AI comes up with an alternate source of the required protein sequences...

A source that horrifies and disgusts the naive and sheltered young woman...

Fresh. Male. Reproductive. Fluid.

...CUM.

Last edited:

DicksInSpace

Jul 8, 2017
And for those who want more details, here is a more thorough explanation of the origin of this project, and then a brief introduction to the "story so far..."

Why this project?

I've been floating around this programming and development corner of F95 for a while now, dropping uninvited advice and overconfident statements left and right.

Some years ago when I was still a newcomer to F95, I stumbled across a little game titled "On Edge"...

I thought it was great! Very tasty boobalicious artwork from the titty-queen artist herself ScarlettAnn, an interesting and well considered story concept, a self-important young FMC fallen into a situation where she has to allow herself to be corrupted for the greater good... and a clever, entertaining, and very sexy-hot mini-game. The only downside was the RPGM game engine...

I even put my money where my mouth is (or perhaps where my dick directed it...) and become a patron. For years. Always hoping, always ready to give the dev another chance... simply because I loved the concept and the execution.

But then, sadly, the dev abandoned* the game... (* continued to milk patrons for years without delivering anything for 2.5+ years and counting)

This left me sad and disappointed, feeling like there was a "intelligent, uptight, prudish girl with big honkers that is unavoidably corrupted by dirty old men" hole in my heart.

All along the way, I've been helping several other devs with their games as a volunteer, doing proofreading, editing and play-testing. It has been a great experience and I'm proud to have been a small contributor to the quality of those projects (and please, go ahead and check some of those games that are listed in my footer if you haven't already!)

And so we come to the present day... where it's time to actually try this game development thing for myself. I've got a dirty mind, lots of practice writing script and dialogue, some programming ability, and a burning desire for a certain type of game to exist in the world.

Introducing "The Moorcock Incident"

The story is set in distant future, and the action is located within a far flung sector of the United Earth Forces territory.
Our heroine is a young, recently graduated molecular biologist named Juliette. Despite her inexperience she was lucky enough to be selected to join the crew of the Deep Space Research Vessel "UEF DSRV Moorcock".

While serving as junior science officer on her first mission, she is unfortunate enough to be the only crew member who is out of cryo-sleep when the Ship AI detects the distress signal of a small craft located within an nearby asteroid field. As it would take at least two days to wake a more senior crew person from hibernation, Juliette authorizes an approach to the asteroid under the guidance of the Ship's AI, and ends up rescuing three starving space miners from the stranded ship.

When the trio come onboard, Juliette learns that their small ship had lost power to it's bio-warp engines and the nutrient breeder vats had failed too, leaving them unable to return to safety and without a sustainable food source. She also soon finds that they are crude and lowbrow men, and interacting with them is entirely unlike her past life surrounded by the noble and considerate behavior standards expected within the UEF. Despite her personal distaste for their poor manners and lewd suggestions, she maintains her dignity and trusts that the Ship's internal defense systems will protect her in need.

Besides, she has more pressing things to worry about - her own vessel suddenly begins showing signs of the same type of system failures - no warp power, and no food source other than emergency rations.

The AI cancels the wake-up sequence of the other senior crew members in order to conserve food, and Juliette throws herself into searching for answers about what has infected the Moorcock's biological systems. Luckily she is the perfect woman for the job as this type of research is her specialty, and with a Science AI module loaded to the computer core to help her, she quickly makes progress in identifying the cause - nanoscopic alien particles, multiplying and ruining the fluid in the breeder vats.

She theorizes that the source of the particles must have been something the miners had encountered on the asteroid... and if so, this would be the first evidence of new alien life found in decades! Not only does she need to solve the mystery to save herself and her crewmates, but now she has a duty to bring this discovery back to the UEF chain of command! Which also would see her become famous as the biologist who discovered the new life form...

Unfortunately, the research vessel does not have sufficient stocks of the chemical reagents she needs to isolate and control the aggressively multiplying invaders. Juliette fears that all is lost... until the AI comes up with an alternate source of the required protein sequences...

A source that horrifies and disgusts the naive and sheltered young woman...

Fresh. Male. Reproductive. Fluid.

...CUM.
Is the going to be some Alien species sex or just human?

Reactions: fireboon

Highflyer69

Jul 8, 2020
Good luck developing the game, in the future when you're able to show more off will you be making a discord server? Only reason I ask is, (for me anyway) it's easy to lose track of games i'm excited for/following on F95 so when i find a game that excites me i follow it on Discord or Patreon

DicksInSpace

Jul 8, 2017
Good luck developing the game, in the future when you're able to show more off will you be making a discord server? Only reason I ask is, (for me anyway) it's easy to lose track of games i'm excited for/following on F95 so when i find a game that excites me i follow it on Discord or Patreon
You can use the watch button in the top-right to keep track on here too

Highflyer69

Jul 8, 2020
You can use the watch button in the top-right to keep track on here too
I have, also set up email notifications but i also have 500+ notifications from other games i'm watching, so i'll be leaving this tab open so i don't forget the name of this game and can keep track xD

If you're looking for alien games btw you should check out "light space love" by halftilt

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Yes, once I've got some more concrete stuff to show then I'll spend some more time on info sharing. Almost certainly will do one of the crowd-patronage sites, and Discord seems like one of the good channels for communications.

Reactions: XXX_Anonim_xxx

KingsRaiden

Engaged Member
Jan 4, 2017
Will this use some of the same story lines, such as "encouraging" the miners to do things she needs, perhaps resources from nearby asteroids? As the original had the other bits with the vegetable garden, village friends and so on to provide some other corruption options and characters to interact with.

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Will this use some of the same story lines, such as "encouraging" the miners to do things she needs, perhaps resources from nearby asteroids? As the original had the other bits with the vegetable garden, village friends and so on to provide some other corruption options and characters to interact with.
It's not going to be an identical copy of the "inspiration" source, not by any means. The main elements that are coming in to my game are the corruption of a well-intentioned conservative heroine, and the concept of a "skill card" based minigame that involves the girl pleasuring cocks that emerge through a hole, gloriously. Oh, and massive norks that drive the ugly bastards wild.

At this stage I've got an overall story-line planned, and I've worked out to enough detail for the scenes and dialog scripts in the intro and first few releases to be at a point where I have been able to get started. The story does not involve other characters beyond the heroine and the Miners, at least not in the early parts. There will be certainly be enough stuff to do / scenes to encounter outside the minigame to make it an actual VN rather than a techdemo, and that's the part where the corruption progress will be found. Your comment about resources from asteroids is pretty accurate BTW.

The biggest risk to thing whole thing so far has been the technical challenges of implementing the mini-game purely in Renpy. As good as this platform is, it's still primarily designed to be a VN engine, not a general tool for a realtime animated interactive UI. I'm concentrating my current efforts towards getting it all working without having to resort to "Creator Defined Displayables", which are basically PyGame classes that work nicely with Renpy's internals. If performance overheads or implementation complexity gets to be too much for the Renpy Screens system, perhaps the core minigame will need some refactoring to use CDDs after all. As (too many) years in software development have taught me, it's important to "retire the risks" early in a project.

The other roadblock is artwork - as I explained in the posts in the other game's thread, I can't draw a straight line myself and I'm still not decided as to how to proceed. AI tools continue to get better (or people get better at using them?) but it would still be a big time investment to get the level of quality that I want. The other route is to use a freelance artist(s), but that would need a lot of greenbacks committed to something which so far is purely a hobby project. I'm not delusional enough to expect a magical artist collaborator to suddenly appear and want to help ( UNLESS? ). If such a unicorn did want to be part of this project, I would very happily hand over pretty much all the eventual revenue to them as long as we can work together.

One thing to clear up - I'm not planning to make a massive epic project that takes five years to complete (or release only a few times in the first year and then milk patrons for 2.5 years with empty promises). That would be uncool and tie me down for too long.

Anyway, thanks for your comment :cool:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
On Edge X Last Hope crossover :geek:

Good luck with the game ! Flagging the thread.
Ahh, you are a man of fine taste! "Last Hope" was another game that I supported as a patron for more than a year! Maybe I should go play it again to see if I can get any more inspiration... :giggle::sneaky:

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Интересная идея. Напишу пару мыслей.
Насчёт идеи это конечно очень интересно и ново для такой игры. Обычно для такого стиля игры так с сюжетом не мудрят, просто добавляют просто добавляют много разных персонажей и переключения между ними и всё. Иногда и этого достаточно. Если будет и сюжет и даже продвижение по нему с накопленными умениями то это большой плюс и большой объём того чего надо сделать для этого. Уверен что RenPy со всем справиться, просто иногда надо больше терпения при написании кода. Мне например хватает переменных в коде и используя их делаю разнообразие в сюжете изображениях и во всём остальном. Хотел написать про идеи, но видно что уже вовсю создаётся по собственной идеи и я просто оставлю пару ссылок которые будут ниже на то что я хотел предложить. Просто для ознакомления.

Interesting idea. I'll write a couple of thoughts.
As for the idea, this is of course very interesting and new for such a game. Usually for this style of game they don’t do much with the plot, they just add a lot of different characters and switch between them and that’s it. Sometimes that's enough. If there is a plot and even progress through it with accumulated skills, then this is a big plus and a large amount of what needs to be done for this. I'm sure RenPy can handle everything, but sometimes you need more patience when writing code. For example, I have enough variables in the code and using them I create variety in the plot, images and everything else. I wanted to write about ideas, but it’s clear that everything is already being created based on my own ideas and I’ll just leave a couple of links below to what I wanted to offer. Just for reference.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
So, I've got some good news.

I was stuck on a technical Renpy issue for a couple of days. Specifically, a way to get a Dissolve transition between different images within a Screen, which is what I'm using to implement the Minigame.

The most common transitions between the scene images in a Renpy VN are Dissolve and Fade. Dissolve does a old pixel-new pixel gradual blend across the images, and looks quite smooth and natural. Many games use this transition as a "poor man's animation".

Fade will take the screen to black and then from black to the next image. Good for an end of scene transition.

Both of these are implemented within Renpy using GL2 shaders, so they are very performant and do not load up the CPU.

Unfortunately, Renpy does not have any built in way to use a transition between images within a Screen. The only functionality available on Screen images is "transforms", which let you do things like move images around, or change the transparency (and a lot more, but crucially, no dissolve).

I posted a question on how to overcome the missing "dissolve" function in a transform, and got some help from a kind developer, although it didn't really fix the issue (it used an alpha fade which meant the background image would be half visible through the old and new images as they transitioned).

After a bunch more head scratching, documentation diving, and search-engine-kungfu, I eventually found a fairly obscure Renpy function called "AlphaBlend". And it turns out that you can create a Displayable element using alphablend that behaves like a dissolve, and it works within a Screen.

So, I can happily report that I now have a way to do nice smooth Dissolve transitions between images of the heroine in various clothing states, poses, expressions, and animations, right within the Minigame. Woot!