VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 37 Votes

L3z1l3

Aug 19, 2018
When I saw the Templars in this Urban Fantasy game for a short second I hoped it was set in the same universe as TSW/SWL.

Like someone wrote above, I also felt it backwards to have sex with Kaija and have points removed because of it.

parceload

Nov 14, 2017
Ceolag:

bartender Mac, beer, steak sandwiches ... soon you're gonna say there's 13 fans on the ceiling

so far this is a really interesting story, hope you stick with it
only comment would be the camera splines during animations are janky
also, most of the audio plays on the wrong channel, either change "amb" to "sound", or add a slider for amb in the menus

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Ceolag

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Hey, nice work! I can definitely see the Dresden Files inspiration. At first it was just a vague, "This seems kinda similar", then there was a bartender named Mac who mostly communicates in grunts which made it pretty clear :p

Keep up the good work, if I was to suggest one thing it would be to try and add in a bit more of generic background music, jumping between having music in the background to large swathes of silence got a bit jarring at times.
Ceolag:

bartender Mac, beer, steak sandwiches ... soon you're gonna say there's 13 fans on the ceiling

so far this is a really interesting story, hope you stick with it
only comment would be the camera splines during animations are janky
also, most of the audio plays on the wrong channel, either change "amb" to "sound", or add a slider for amb in the menus
I have absolutely no idea what you guys mean. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah he is one of my tributes to the Dresden Files.

And thanks for pointing out the problem with the sound channel. You're right and I'll fix that.

Thanks for the reply.

Does the game have many LIs? I only really play once, so if I like two LIs I'll definitely give it up and find another. If there are few LIs, I may find that I'm only interested in one, if there are many, it's very likely that I will be interested in several.
4 Main LIs

When I saw the Templars in this Urban Fantasy game for a short second I hoped it was set in the same universe as TSW/SWL.

Like someone wrote above, I also felt it backwards to have sex with Kaija and have points removed because of it.
Well, there will be some similarities, but no, it's not set in the same universe. Loved the game btw.

Reactions: BlasKyau

Kitchentable

Aug 13, 2018
Giving this a spin the beginning seemed familiar and I think I played it before (was there a demo?)
and while the visuals and animations and those little animations (which I find really great as they add
to the prodction value) were great, the story was just some dude going to work, to lunch, back home,
for a jog and having issues with his lady but now, BAM, the story gets cranked up to 11! (y)

What confuses me highly though is the dev taking the father out of the picture and yet there is no
mentioning of wincest!! You can NOT ignore the unwritten rules and tropes of AVNs...ah, just kidding. :ROFLMAO:

Bit of a shame though as both the sister's and mohter's character models look damn fine.

4 main LIs...I get it from the menue screen why they are that. Elea needs some explanation though how she fits in
but the other three are cleary part of the supernatural world.

Not trying to be the negative shitter, I just find it a bit mean towards the spunky bartender Kate
or the demon ass kicking huntress Kari. They need our loving too! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, great follow up to the initial version I played. A big and positive surprise.
Great work, intriguing story and again I love those littel animations like Kaija shaking her head.

On a side note...bloody heck, I have to re-read the Dresden Files I got reminded of nothing. :(

• Red Heart

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
I want to say thanks for the game and even more thanks for being one of the few devs to respect the player enough to allow skipping the animations to which I am truly grateful. I realize its a lot of work for those bits but I confess I get real irritated by animations that have no way of being skipped. That aside the story is interesting and I'm always happy to see a game without incest so fingers crossed that you make it across that distant finish line.

• Red Heart

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
I downloaded this because the premise looked interesting and I was NOT dissapointed.

1) No harem? Well damn... Initially I was kind of turned off by the renders, but they grew on me quickly. I think Fiona is my favorite with Kaija a close second. Mac's cousin is also gorgeous, and as a "side piece" I'm guessing eventually we can get with her without repercussions.

2) It appears we have met 3 of the 4 main LI's (though the annoying elf Medb may be LI 4 since she had points assigned to her at the end of chapter 2 and chapter two was the way of water).

3) I absolutely have a love/hate relationship with achievments.... On the one hand I am a completionist, on the other I HATE searching through choices to find what I missed... After competing CH2 I have 2 hidden achievments left. Looking at the gallery one of them appears to be tied to a side character, the other is god only knows where. I REALLY don't want to scroll through trying to find achievments, honestly I have better uses for my time. I'm not saying give a walkthrough, but maybe some type of hint system?

4) I echo what has been brought up before, losing points for a playful smack on the ass is counterintuitive. Also, losing one of the very few (at this point in the game) sex scenes is just bad. Especially since Kaija is your current girlfriend who loves you and, if you choose her path, whom you love.Personally I would not penalize the shower sex and, also, I would have added the scene in the Templar HQ even though it isn't "appropriate" inappropriate sex is the cornerstone of any good adult VN! :)

In short, this is one of those games I wish I'd discovered around chapter 10, someone would have an achievment guide, there would be plenty of lewd scenes in game. Right now, only a few days have passed since the MC found about about the crazy shit behind the curtain and it's rather frustrating.

Anyway keep up the good work, your story telling is excellent, rendering above average, I notice no significant plot holes (which is nice) and things seem to be progressing logicially. Well done.

Going to copy/paste this to game review.

• Red Heart
Reactions: cib64 and Ceolag

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
OK, so now I got the one achievment attached to a side piece (sex with Anissa) now to search for some random achievment in 2 shapters that I have no clue what to be looking for... Anyone have any idea of what random path not taken might lead to some achievment? Like being a dick or something? I'm at a loss......

Berk026

Jul 6, 2020
I don't usually try games in early development since most of them are abandoned but I'm glad I tried this,it's awesone I hope it receive consistent updates & get the attention it deserves from the players

• Red Heart

abeceda

Dec 8, 2016
I do not know if developer will read this or if someone already mentioned this but sound settings not working and there should be option to disable that annoying save naming...

Other then that it looks promising.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Dev-Update first, some answers after that.

Hey everyone,

Chapter 2 is out for a few days now and besides a few minor issues and typos, the release has been pretty flawless. I honestly expected more problems.
That means the guys who tested the Beta version did a great job. Thanks again for the help, guys.

Time to look back and think about what went well and what could be better.
The release went pretty well, obviously. I reserved this week solely for bug fixes, explanations, and so on. In the end, I was able to start working on Chapter 3 because I got bored of doing nothing ;)

So far, the feedback has been pretty positive, which is great.
It's good to see you guys enjoying it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how that Chapter turned out. Of course, there are always flaws or things you could've made better but that's just part of the learning experience.

Speaking of the learning experience. One thing I did learn for sure was, Chapter 2 took too long. Don't get me wrong, I spent pretty much every free hour I had on the game, it just got too big.
Since I expect (the planned) Chapter 3 to be even bigger, I decided to split it into Chapters 3 and 4. So instead of Chapter 3 being the end of Book 1, it'll be Chapter 4.
I seriously hope (and try), the next update will not take half a year but I also am not going to scrap ideas or content, that seems important to me because of self-imposed deadlines.
That being said, I think I found a pretty good spot in the story for the split. You might have noticed, that I try to end Chapters with kind of a bang. And the spot I have in mind for the Chapter 3 ending fits that pattern quite well.

Long story short, expect Chapter 3 to be a bit smaller but also released faster. At least, that's the plan for now.

What else can you expect for Chapter 3?
You might've noticed that I changed the main menu. And that the rest of the menus don't really fit the new style.
The reason is, that I planned to rework the menus for Chapter 3. But I made such good progress on the main menu, that it got done before the Chapter 2 release.
I decided to include it in this release so you can get a first look at what is to come.
I will continue to rework the submenus and eventually the UI elements (like choices etc).

I think that's it for now.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll answer as best as possible as long as it's not containing any story spoilers.

Giving this a spin the beginning seemed familiar and I think I played it before (was there a demo?)
and while the visuals and animations and those little animations (which I find really great as they add
to the prodction value) were great, the story was just some dude going to work, to lunch, back home,
for a jog and having issues with his lady but now, BAM, the story gets cranked up to 11! (y)

What confuses me highly though is the dev taking the father out of the picture and yet there is no
mentioning of wincest!! You can NOT ignore the unwritten rules and tropes of AVNs...ah, just kidding. :ROFLMAO:

Bit of a shame though as both the sister's and mohter's character models look damn fine.

4 main LIs...I get it from the menue screen why they are that. Elea needs some explanation though how she fits in
but the other three are cleary part of the supernatural world.

Not trying to be the negative shitter, I just find it a bit mean towards the spunky bartender Kate
or the demon ass kicking huntress Kari. They need our loving too! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, great follow up to the initial version I played. A big and positive surprise.
Great work, intriguing story and again I love those littel animations like Kaija shaking her head.

On a side note...bloody heck, I have to re-read the Dresden Files I got reminded of nothing. :(
Thank you very much for the kind words.
Not only can and will I ignore the unwritten rules of AVNs, but I can also even start mocking them. :ROFLMAO:

Re-reading the Dresden Files is always a good idea. I actually did that when I started working on the game.

I want to say thanks for the game and even more thanks for being one of the few devs to respect the player enough to allow skipping the animations to which I am truly grateful. I realize its a lot of work for those bits but I confess I get real irritated by animations that have no way of being skipped. That aside the story is interesting and I'm always happy to see a game without incest so fingers crossed that you make it across that distant finish line.
Thank you. I hate overruling the player. Be it unskippable content, blocking rollbacks, or hard pauses.
If the player whats to skip, who am I to deny him that? The only hard pauses I used are in the startup "disclaimers" to make sure they're actually on the screen for a while (we all know how the internet is...) and a 1-second pause at the start of the longer animations to prevent accidental skipping.

I downloaded this because the premise looked interesting and I was NOT dissapointed.

1) No harem? Well damn... Initially I was kind of turned off by the renders, but they grew on me quickly. I think Fiona is my favorite with Kaija a close second. Mac's cousin is also gorgeous, and as a "side piece" I'm guessing eventually we can get with her without repercussions.

2) It appears we have met 3 of the 4 main LI's (though the annoying elf Medb may be LI 4 since she had points assigned to her at the end of chapter 2 and chapter two was the way of water).

3) I absolutely have a love/hate relationship with achievments.... On the one hand I am a completionist, on the other I HATE searching through choices to find what I missed... After competing CH2 I have 2 hidden achievments left. Looking at the gallery one of them appears to be tied to a side character, the other is god only knows where. I REALLY don't want to scroll through trying to find achievments, honestly I have better uses for my time. I'm not saying give a walkthrough, but maybe some type of hint system?

4) I echo what has been brought up before, losing points for a playful smack on the ass is counterintuitive. Also, losing one of the very few (at this point in the game) sex scenes is just bad. Especially since Kaija is your current girlfriend who loves you and, if you choose her path, whom you love.Personally I would not penalize the shower sex and, also, I would have added the scene in the Templar HQ even though it isn't "appropriate" inappropriate sex is the cornerstone of any good adult VN! :)

In short, this is one of those games I wish I'd discovered around chapter 10, someone would have an achievment guide, there would be plenty of lewd scenes in game. Right now, only a few days have passed since the MC found about about the crazy shit behind the curtain and it's rather frustrating.

Anyway keep up the good work, your story telling is excellent, rendering above average, I notice no significant plot holes (which is nice) and things seem to be progressing logicially. Well done.

Going to copy/paste this to game review.
Thank you for your thoughts and the long feedback. I totally get your "problems" with achievements. I use them as a hint to show if you missed some content/scenes but it can be a nightmare for completionists if you can't find the "last one". I sent you a DM with a few hints. If that doesn't help, get back to me and we'll figure it out.
At some point, there will be an official walkthrough. I just need the time for it. Or better the motivation to spend hours with Office...:censored:

I do not know if developer will read this or if someone already mentioned this but sound settings not working and there should be option to disable that annoying save naming...

Other then that it looks promising.
I do. :)
Yep, the sound settings don't work. I have fixed that in my development branch already. Still, thanks for bringing it up, tho.
The save naming... well some people really want it, and some people get annoyed by it, I guess?
But I can check if there's a smarter solution to it.

Cheers,
Ceolag

Last edited:

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
Good to see a Dev reading these boards and thanks for the PM about the achievments, it worked! Small bit of advice, once the inevitable basement trolls crawl out from their mother's basements, get your ignore button ready :) (especially the cest crowd, you made lil sis TOO pretty the cest crowd will be all up in a tizzy about "why isn't she an LI??? Waaah!!) :)

• Red Heart

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Damn, that was incredibly good start to the story. Love it so far.

Not sure I'll ever be able to do Kaija romance (too much trust lost there for me to like her as LI), but definitely looking forwards to more time with other girls. Great job dev.

TajaRrR

Jun 16, 2018
I just finished chapter 2 and wow... I want more haha.

Great start with the story, characters and overall world.

Kaija best girl so far... Can't wait for more content with her!

• Red Heart

Gorse

GFX Designer
Aug 16, 2020
Some fan sigs for "TNT":

Kaija - Fan-Signature
Sig One
300 x 124 px / 0,82 MB
Sig Two *
300 x 124 px / 0,98 MB
TNTsiG2.gif
TNTsiG2a.gif
LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391559_TNTsiG2.gif
LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/03/2494449_TNTsiG2a.gif

* NEW additional sig with an improved char asset - choose the one you like most
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Fiona - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,84 MB

TNTsiG1.gif

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391557_TNTsiG1.gif
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Elea - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,96 MB

TNTsiG3.gif

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391560_TNTsiG3.gif

Medb - Fan-Signature
Sig One
300 x 124 px / 0,88 MB
Sig Two *
300 x 124 px / 0,91 MB
TNTsiG4.gif
TNTsiG4a.gif
LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391561_TNTsiG4.gif
LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/03/2494450_TNTsiG4a.gif

* NEW additional sig with an improved char asset - choose the one you like most
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

S p e c i a l
T e m p l a r - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,89 MB

TNTsiG5.gif

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391562_TNTsiG5.gif
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So folks: feel welcome to use (up to two of) these sigs in your signature.
You'd support the further development of this great story a wee bit as well...​
Hope you'll ENJOY! :cool:
___________________________________________________________________________________
Ceolag, thanks for your inspiring game & good luck with the further development! Cheers!

Last edited:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
It's a shame that too few reviews have been written so far. This game definitely deserves to be known more widely. Thanks to the thread, I recalled the name of the genre this game belongs to, it's called urban fantasy. While I can't say that I'm a big fan of the classic fantasy (you know, all these medieval sceneries or elven forests, kings and knights, e.t.c.), I do like this kind of fantasy setting, when supernatural things happen next to modern people living their ordinary lives in the city. And well, along comes TNT.

At least the second chapter is as good as the prologue or even better, the tension builds as the main plot progresses. We have the opportunity to spend time with each of the main girls and get to know them better, as well as make some new acquaintances. So far so good, great job, Ceolag!

I really don't know what to think about Kaija. At first I didn't like her at all. [whinning mode ON] Why on earth do you devs so love to include a mandatory long-term-relationship-girlfriend in your MC's starter pack, and then immediately have the player to make decisions and act as if he really knows her and have already formed an opinion about her. Man, I met her a couple game screens ago, maybe MC knows her well, but I don't. Please, let me at least get to know her a little bit, see her acting in a couple of standard situations from her relationship with MC and then I'll be happy to choose what to do with her. No, you want me to bang her right off the bat? Okay, it's my duty as MC after all. Release the Kraken! [whinning mode OFF]

Back to Kaija. In the second chapter, she turns out to be a very likeable character and a good person, so it feels like a jerk move for my MC, to just dump and ignore her. But Fiona... She'll give Kaija a run for her money. There is still no harem tag, right? I'm asking for my friend :)
Anyway, a great game with the lot of potential, thank you dev!

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Back to Kaija. In the second chapter, she turns out to be a very likeable character and a good person, so it feels like a jerk move for my MC, to just dump and ignore her. But Fiona... She'll give Kaija a run for her money. There is still no harem tag, right? I'm asking for my friend :)
Ooooh, finally, a comment to reply to and discuss (if you don't mind, good sir).

On the contrary, in love scenario, she deserves to be treated a bit badly. Not an asshole, mind you, but to be ignored for a bit while MC sorts out his feelings. It's only natural. Jumping straight back into her arms would be to immediately pardon huge breach of trust.

On the other hand, on friendship ending ("I love you as a friend, but that's all"), now that one deserves full on jerk mode. She played with MCs heart, stayed in relationship with MC and ultimately crushed his soul by telling him it was all just a play. Try doing (if you're into "roleplaying" while playing VNs) 0 points first chapter into "I still love her" at the start of 2nd.

Then think about it for a moment. MC is madly in love with woman he's known since he was a teen. He was in relationship with her, happy despite things not going well recently (business trips). Only to be told it was all just a sham. MC would be devastated. Whole life brought to knees in a matter of minutes. How do you forgive someone who did that?

I'm happily running all scenarios (love, friendship and rejection) and looking forwards to seeing how the game develops from there.

As a side note though, while I appreciate and love number of current options, hope dev doesn't overstretch with "routes". While I love seeing and playing games like that, it must be an absolute nightmare to keep track of and develop for each update.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Ooooh, finally, a comment to reply to and discuss (if you don't mind, good sir).

On the contrary, in love scenario, she deserves to be treated a bit badly. Not an asshole, mind you, but to be ignored for a bit while MC sorts out his feelings. It's only natural. Jumping straight back into her arms would be to immediately pardon huge breach of trust.

On the other hand, on friendship ending ("I love you as a friend, but that's all"), now that one deserves full on jerk mode. She played with MCs heart, stayed in relationship with MC and ultimately crushed his soul by telling him it was all just a play. Try doing (if you're into "roleplaying" while playing VNs) 0 points first chapter into "I still love her" at the start of 2nd.

Then think about it for a moment. MC is madly in love with woman he's known since he was a teen. He was in relationship with her, happy despite things not going well recently (business trips). Only to be told it was all just a sham. MC would be devastated. Whole life brought to knees in a matter of minutes. How do you forgive someone who did that?

I'm happily running all scenarios (love, friendship and rejection) and looking forwards to seeing how the game develops from there.

As a side note though, while I appreciate and love number of current options, hope dev doesn't overstretch with "routes". While I love seeing and playing games like that, it must be an absolute nightmare to keep track of and develop for each update.
While I totally get your point, and agree with the most of it, it still seems to me that MC is overreacting. Yes, to MC all this mess came out of the blue, but they had a frank talk at his parents home. She explained that she was ordered to be close and guard him, and although at first it was just an assignment for her, she began to develop feelings for him, and this ended in a romantic relationship and that she loves him. And they were friends long before that, if I remember correctly, so she had the opportunity to get close to him without getting into a relationship. Yes, she hid the full truth about who she really is from him, but she didn't betray or used him to her advantage, she didn't cheated on him. He may complain that she hides the truth about her "job", but it would be unfair to accuse her of pretending to have feelings for him and of faking their relationship.

4.40 star(s) 37 Votes