RPGM Abandoned The Portal [v0.1 Fixed] [Kyuba]

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
So, I tried to do some lighting effects, and as much as I would like to keep it, for now I can't, it do works pretty well in general, but it's way too taxing on the machine in the city, since there has to be alot of lights.
A way around that would probably to make group of lights act as one, it wouldn't look as good, but it could be less ressource demanding.
Well, time to work on some real content, I will keep it off for now and see later if I can add in a way or another, and code an option to disable it.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's the new cover of the game for 0.2

So, progress story wise is pretty smooth, the thing is, I would really like to keep a day and night cycle with light effects, it brings so much, and scenes can be so much better with it, there's just so much potential.
And good news ! I figured out what was wrong, and got it working without being taxing on the machine, so you can expect some parallax mapping and lighting effects next version ! Man this game is getting prettier, if not for the base tiles LOL
Anyway, from tomorow i'm in holidays, so you can expect some pretty quick progression on the next version, if you still have any bug to report to me (same for type / grammatical errors), please do so, and same for suggestions, be it storywise, graphic, sounds, musics, whatever it is !

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
@Alma_Elma

This looks pretty good, I'll give it a try and write a little review.
Keep up the good work!
Hey thanks ! Don't hesitate to pin point even details that bother you then, I do am a beginner looking to improve.
Thus to be fair, 0.1 is pretty short (and bugged, you can't equip rings and you can't finish a sidequest), it's really there to start the story, next version will have alot more content, be it story or RPG wise.

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
You can just hit the reply or quote button under the person message :p
Well, that's not a bad idea, I though of things like that, but less "harsh", I want to avoid a potential hardlock of a save, so there's always going to be a way out (but there will probably be a price to pay eheh), or maybe I will just change how death behaviour, and make it that when you die, you go back to the last "safe point" (being the last inn you were or just a teleport monolith), cause I don't like game over that makes you load your last save myself. And some area will be just ridiculously strong and the player probably wont expect it (and some people probably didn't expect the slimes in the dungeon to be so tough).
But I have some mecanics to polish too, I like the AP system in itself, but it isn't good enough.
And by the next version, there will be some tutorials in Midas, just to explain the player about AP and unlockable skills, since they aren't in RPGM games to begin with, I should have done them for 0.1 though.
Man, I Really want to post right now but I forgot I'me on my laptop with the bad keyboard...cut"n"paste.LoL..
I'll be right back:ROFLMAO:

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
You can just hit the reply or quote button under the person message :p
Well, that's not a bad idea, I though of things like that, but less "harsh", I want to avoid a potential hardlock of a save, so there's always going to be a way out (but there will probably be a price to pay eheh), or maybe I will just change how death behaviour, and make it that when you die, you go back to the last "safe point" (being the last inn you were or just a teleport monolith), cause I don't like game over that makes you load your last save myself. And some area will be just ridiculously strong and the player probably wont expect it (and some people probably didn't expect the slimes in the dungeon to be so tough).
But I have some mecanics to polish too, I like the AP system in itself, but it isn't good enough.
And by the next version, there will be some tutorials in Midas, just to explain the player about AP and unlockable skills, since they aren't in RPGM games to begin with, I should have done them for 0.1 though.
I kind of miss some of the earlier RPGmaker stuff, I rember a fyew games where you may do a little grinding (1.5-2 Hr.) then get nosy or brave whichever you think any way you go out into the wilderness and quickly get your ass handed to you...:) most of the time it was quite a shock especially when it was your first try at the game.
For me that just made me more determined to kick the shit out of that S.O.B. when I come back lol.
As for the slime cave I went in my first try at Lvl.5 I think I had 2 or three 3 encounters (fire slimes) and me woefully ill prepared, I think I had 13 healing grass......and that was about it lol. I did survive the cave (had 2 run 3 times) lucky 2 get out I ran into 2 small slimes just outside I think I had @ 65 Hp. left and got 1 healing grass out of the deal.
Did I mention My weapon is the axe and at that time I only had the helmet. Good Times!!
I like a challenge and I think It's just a little more rewarding if you have to try a little to get wherever your going.
That said I think the "slime pit" is pretty cool so far.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
I kind of miss some of the earlier RPGmaker stuff, I rember a fyew games where you may do a little grinding (1.5-2 Hr.) then get nosy or brave whichever you think any way you go out into the wilderness and quickly get your ass handed to you...:) most of the time it was quite a shock especially when it was your first try at the game.
For me that just made me more determined to kick the shit out of that S.O.B. when I come back lol.
As for the slime cave I went in my first try at Lvl.5 I think I had 2 or three 3 encounters (fire slimes) and me woefully ill prepared, I think I had 13 healing grass......and that was about it lol. I did survive the cave (had 2 run 3 times) lucky 2 get out I ran into 2 small slimes just outside I think I had @ 65 Hp. left and got 1 healing grass out of the deal.
Did I mention My weapon is the axe and at that time I only had the helmet. Good Times!!
I like a challenge and I think It's just a little more rewarding if you have to try a little to get wherever your going.
That said I think the "slime pit" is pretty cool so far.
I'm glad you enjoyed it !
I will have bigger dungeon next version, I do like myself making the game tough, but I was still thinking of putting a difficulty meter for people who don't especially want the difficulty.

Reactions: Hermies

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
I'm glad you enjoyed it !
I will have bigger dungeon next version, I do like myself making the game tough, but I was still thinking of putting a difficulty meter for people who don't especially want the difficulty.
Yea a meter is a good option, you could apply the meter when a NPC offers a quest or you could also use NPC's to hint at "Legendairy" quests.
Mabe a good idea would be to have a village chief or a town mayor who players could refer to for quest difficulties, you could even place random NPC's to remind players to check with the chief on quests.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
Yea a meter is a good option, you could apply the meter when a NPC offers a quest or you could also use NPC's to hint at "Legendairy" quests.
Mabe a good idea would be to have a village chief or a town mayor who players could refer to for quest difficulties, you could even place random NPC's to remind players to check with the chief on quests.
Wow, I was just thinking about a difficulty meter in the options to change x)
But quest will have difficulty levels, in fact the system is already in, if you didn't notice there's a quest journal, and there is the difficulty in it. The difficulty will be depending on the player level so, if the quest is for level 10 and you're like 20, the announced difficulty wont be as high lol

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
Wow, I was just thinking about a difficulty meter in the options to change x)
But quest will have difficulty levels, in fact the system is already in, if you didn't notice there's a quest journal, and there is the difficulty in it. The difficulty will be depending on the player level so, if the quest is for level 10 and you're like 20, the announced difficulty wont be as high lol
Cool, uaah at the risk of sounding lazy no I really haven't checked out the journal just a preliminary look and then on with the show:)
Truth I guess I have the "Bull in a china shop" tendency when it comes to basic RPG's .
You know I'll have to get together with someone who wants to develop a game form the start some time, (I haven't got the first clue how or which engines are capable of what, or if any of them are cross compatible).
Any way the approach I was thinking uses NPC's as quest sources as well as a reward system, I even thought about requiring a player to obtain certain rewards in a certain sequence to get the "Best one possible" that doesn't mean they wouldn't get cool or worthwhile rewards if they don't meet the requirement's, that just means they don't get the best stuff available.
Taking this approach means you need to establish LOTS of detailed lore and explanations to players via monuments NPC's and even let them connect the dots (Easily) on getting certain companions to complete certain tasks.
So I should take an honest look at whats out there and then maybe I can contribute better.
For now all you get is Long Winded feedback.:whistle:

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
Cool, uaah at the risk of sounding lazy no I really haven't checked out the journal just a preliminary look and then on with the show:)
Truth I guess I have the "Bull in a china shop" tendency when it comes to basic RPG's .
You know I'll have to get together with someone who wants to develop a game form the start some time, (I haven't got the first clue how or which engines are capable of what, or if any of them are cross compatible).
Any way the approach I was thinking uses NPC's as quest sources as well as a reward system, I even thought about requiring a player to obtain certain rewards in a certain sequence to get the "Best one possible" that doesn't mean they wouldn't get cool or worthwhile rewards if they don't meet the requirement's, that just means they don't get the best stuff available.
Taking this approach means you need to establish LOTS of detailed lore and explanations to players via monuments NPC's and even let them connect the dots (Easily) on getting certain companions to complete certain tasks.
So I should take an honest look at whats out there and then maybe I can contribute better.
For now all you get is Long Winded feedback.:whistle:
Eh, I guess I could add better rewards depending on how you clear the quest.
And nah, you're not lazy, alot of RPG on RPG makers don't use quest journal, they don't even use real quest to be fair so.
That's why by next version there will be some explanation on how the game works, and that you can unlock skills, either by having a specific item or with LP (Learn Points, they're not in 0.1), they will unlock skills both active and passive ones. The level cap will prob be higher than 99 too, but still looking at it.
Btw, what would you guys think if I were to add some farming / fishing system as sidethings to do ? They would ofc gives useful things for the main story (like skills), and have their own side story (and girlz), but I don't know if people do really care or not about those.

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
Eh, I guess I could add better rewards depending on how you clear the quest.
And nah, you're not lazy, alot of RPG on RPG makers don't use quest journal, they don't even use real quest to be fair so.
That's why by next version there will be some explanation on how the game works, and that you can unlock skills, either by having a specific item or with LP (Learn Points, they're not in 0.1), they will unlock skills both active and passive ones. The level cap will prob be higher than 99 too, but still looking at it.
Btw, what would you guys think if I were to add some farming / fishing system as sidethings to do ? They would ofc gives useful things for the main story (like skills), and have their own side story (and girlz), but I don't know if people do really care or not about those.
Sorry for not getting back sooner , got caught up in a couple of downloads and making dinner.
Yea I really suck at multitasking. lol. Well I'll start using the journal asap wouldn't hurt to be more engaged in game dynamics. As for skills via items or learning that would work pretty cool. Maybe gaining levels in each hobby could unlock unusual (female) encounters and possibly if you get a high enough level the things you encounter may gain a greater affinity for the MC...;) Yep seems like pure genius to me. lol

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
That's weird, I never witnessed it.
After how much time does it occur in your session ? And did it happen with anyone else ? It might have to do with one of the plugins.
I think it might have to do with the preloader (a pretty important thing to not break cutscenes) and the game not dumping, I will have a look at it, and (try to) have it fixed by the next version.
Yea the system I was using previous was a Win.7 64Bit. and I was having the same issues, I haven't tried on my Win.7 32Bit. yet but I will and I'll let you know.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
Sorry for not getting back sooner , got caught up in a couple of downloads and making dinner.
Yea I really suck at multitasking. lol. Well I'll start using the journal asap wouldn't hurt to be more engaged in game dynamics. As for skills via items or learning that would work pretty cool. Maybe gaining levels in each hobby could unlock unusual (female) encounters and possibly if you get a high enough level the things you encounter may gain a greater affinity for the MC...;) Yep seems like pure genius to me. lol
No worries man, you have the right to have a life
Well, there's only 2 quest as of now, so it's not that usefull anyway lol
And yeah, I planned to add encounters and all specific to the hobby, but I still have to decide what to add as a hobby in game. Fishing will probably be a hard one to do, but will see later.

And I think it's the preloader, saddly I can't remove it, I will see for reducing the memory leak it does, cause preloaders in RPGM are knowed to have memory leak issues, hopefully it will be at least partially fixed in 0.2

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Weell this sure took a long time to download (mostly because I use mobile data heh) but I played it and this is my humble opinion.

I'll review things in the order they're introduced in the game's storyline. First of all, there's two buttons that are completely useless (or at least they don't work for me?) in the title menu; wich are the "Credits" and "Control Configuration" buttons. I dunno if they're a WIP or something, but they should be supposed to work since they're the first thing the player sees.

When you're in the name selection screen, you can see the time/calendar HUD. Unless this was made in purpose, I suggest this gets removed, since this is not a map, but a simple menu where you have to write your name.
The first thing I did when getting inside the actual game, was interacting with everything like crazy; and then I found out that there were 10$ inside the printer lol. Maybe you should add some hint or flashy effects to tell the player to search there.

One thing I noticed about conversations, was that you put the character portraits in the center of the screen. While this may be a good choice to give the player a more detailed look of a certain character; I believe putting portraits at a side of the screen would be better, 'cuz this way you can see the map at the same time than the character's portrait.
Of course, writing could be better on dialogues, because sometimes you can notice some mistakes or words that shouldn't be there in a first place (but of course, I'm no one to tell this since I'm not a native English speaker haha).

Right now, intuition is something really important for this game, since nothing tells you where to go when exploring the portal. Or even after talking with Alice in the first scene, I didn't know if going to the School, Library or Park first. And without getting out of the exploration topic, mapping suffers of the same problem than the 80% of RPGM games. Maps are way too big and empty.
There's nothing bad in creating a big map, but you gotta know how to decorate it correctly, so it encourages the player to explore and to not get bored. Literally, in the first forest (where the path is split in 3 roads) there were only 3 kinds of plants; big trees, small trees and bushes. And the whole map was literally just that, not even a single flower or rock out there. After going across three or four maps I got lost (?) and somehow ended up in a Slime Dungeon to get my ass whooped up XD. And there comes my next point:

The difficulty curve. This was indeed one of the worst points I saw about the game (don't worry, this is easy to fix). The problem I see about this is that it is way too quick, in one map you're fighting some Slimes that can die with one hit; and in less than a second you're fighting some Fire Slimes that can kill you with 2-3 hits.
It's nice that you want to make your game hard, but please don't make artificial difficulty. Make your game hard because you've gotta use strategies or certain skills to defeat your enemies, not because enemies have crazy HP and ATK stats so you have to grind till your arm falls off to defeat them. This is the main reason why I stopped playing the game. I guess my patience couldn't keep up lol.

The biggest advice I could give ya is getting rid of the default battle system (maybe search for some battle HUD plugin?) and fixing the difficulty curve. Then, make the maps a little smaller or give the player hints to he doesn't get lost. I'm sorry for not finishing the game, but I just didn't like the actual build. Maybe I'll give it another shot in some weeks/months and see how you've improved.
Always remember to not go away from your main idea because of another people tips, and it's not mandatory to implement things if you don't want to.

Have a good one!

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
Weell this sure took a long time to download (mostly because I use mobile data heh) but I played it and this is my humble opinion.

I'll review things in the order they're introduced in the game's storyline. First of all, there's two buttons that are completely useless (or at least they don't work for me?) in the title menu; wich are the "Credits" and "Control Configuration" buttons. I dunno if they're a WIP or something, but they should be supposed to work since they're the first thing the player sees.

When you're in the name selection screen, you can see the time/calendar HUD. Unless this was made in purpose, I suggest this gets removed, since this is not a map, but a simple menu where you have to write your name.
The first thing I did when getting inside the actual game, was interacting with everything like crazy; and then I found out that there were 10$ inside the printer lol. Maybe you should add some hint or flashy effects to tell the player to search there.

One thing I noticed about conversations, was that you put the character portraits in the center of the screen. While this may be a good choice to give the player a more detailed look of a certain character; I believe putting portraits at a side of the screen would be better, 'cuz this way you can see the map at the same time than the character's portrait.
Of course, writing could be better on dialogues, because sometimes you can notice some mistakes or words that shouldn't be there in a first place (but of course, I'm no one to tell this since I'm not a native English speaker haha).

Right now, intuition is something really important for this game, since nothing tells you where to go when exploring the portal. Or even after talking with Alice in the first scene, I didn't know if going to the School, Library or Park first. And without getting out of the exploration topic, mapping suffers of the same problem than the 80% of RPGM games. Maps are way too big and empty.
There's nothing bad in creating a big map, but you gotta know how to decorate it correctly, so it encourages the player to explore and to not get bored. Literally, in the first forest (where the path is split in 3 roads) there were only 3 kinds of plants; big trees, small trees and bushes. And the whole map was literally just that, not even a single flower or rock out there. After going across three or four maps I got lost (?) and somehow ended up in a Slime Dungeon to get my ass whooped up XD. And there comes my next point:

The difficulty curve. This was indeed one of the worst points I saw about the game (don't worry, this is easy to fix). The problem I see about this is that it is way too quick, in one map you're fighting some Slimes that can die with one hit; and in less than a second you're fighting some Fire Slimes that can kill you with 2-3 hits.
It's nice that you want to make your game hard, but please don't make artificial difficulty. Make your game hard because you've gotta use strategies or certain skills to defeat your enemies, not because enemies have crazy HP and ATK stats so you have to grind till your arm falls off to defeat them. This is the main reason why I stopped playing the game. I guess my patience couldn't keep up lol.

The biggest advice I could give ya is getting rid of the default battle system (maybe search for some battle HUD plugin?) and fixing the difficulty curve. Then, make the maps a little smaller or give the player hints to he doesn't get lost. I'm sorry for not finishing the game, but I just didn't like the actual build. Maybe I'll give it another shot in some weeks/months and see how you've improved.
Always remember to not go away from your main idea because of another people tips, and it's not mandatory to implement things if you don't want to.

Have a good one!
Some of the things you've answered have been fixed, I will start by that :
The calendar and time in the creation screen are fixed, well, because I totaly reworked the time system so.
Well, it's meant to be hidden, I do give animation to important interaction, but finding that 10$ is like an easter egg, so :p
As for the portrait, I guess I could do that, but I never actually though about that, I will see.
Well, i'm currently going though all conversation to spot some mistakes or if I want to change a sentence completly since I realize it doesn't sounds the way I want it, but I need to get a checked tbf
Yeah, I do need to make some informations more clear, especially at the beginning, I actually just finished doing a tutorial for special mecanics. I have to fix the signs too, I don't get why some works and some don't lol
Yeah, i'm aware the maps are kind of big for how little there is atm, but they're kind of WIP, I do plan to add alot of side things to do, and alot of the "empty space" in maps will be used for that.
And for balance, there's supposed to be a sign saying it's a slime nest, I guess you could expect them do be tough :p
But well, there's some changes next version that will make those easier, and i'm going to reduce the penalty I did for exp gain on level diff, it's way too big.
And as for the Credits and control configuration, the control config is working now, and I just totaly forgot to add the credit LOL, I have the text file, but didn't add it in.

Thanks for such a long feedback ! I will be sure to take all that into account

Reactions: Zachy

rangaru

Jun 25, 2017
I absolutely love idea of the game (There is similar LN about a guy who has the door to isekai dungeon in the bedroom), but i'm not impressed. World seems too big and empty, no NPCs, no chests etc. Do dev wants to fill it with content later? If yes, that is great. If not this is just bad game design.
Second MC seems like japanese beta protagonist, which is a big turnoff. It gives me a feeling that the game will not have much impactful choices. I hope I'm wrong on this, it would be a wasted potential.
Edit:
I played to the blowjob scene and I'm pretty sure that MC is pathetic. At first he invites girl which he considers hot and she evidently likes him to sleep with him in one bed, a then... nothing. This is fuckin unrealistic, who acts that way?
With blowjob scene he seem so agendless and hopeless that I felt like he was practically raped.
He agrees with everything, he is whiny etc. Exactly like protagonist of shitty jap webnovel.

Zvectar

Jan 21, 2018
hey,
I think it can be a great game later, but definitively not if you really keep the map as you said. Players are curious, but if it takes too much time to go somewhere else, it will be boring.
The first thing is that if u plan to use the empty spaces, there's quite a lot... too much. I mean, In a road where it's supposed to be no one or not a lot of people. So instead, adding special events could be great (A few is good, but if there's a lot it will be annoying) I don't really see how you'll use the space :/ And since it's too big, you may have ideas, but it may take a lot of your time (So many projects I've seen were cut short just because people were thinking of too many things to add and finally say it's impossible ^^) finally people will loose interest in it:/.
Improving different things like fight scene or balancing the ennemies and the player could be better. Finding the money to buy the items takes too much time I think, maybe if you don't want to change the difficulty you should lower the prices, add some stronger items and change the zones (in the slime nest u could do a smaller map, but add a sign to warn about the red slimes in a part of it saying (Strong foes ahead) or something like that. U could also add an option, just before u talk to the little sister where the main character could say himself (This place is weird, should I really talk to this girl?)

But I came here because something annoyed me, I don't know if it's just that u haven't finished the game (and that I haven't seen that you've talked about it, if so I'm sorry to bother u) or if it's a bug, but the knight at midas doesn't take my slime muccus (I have 11, 10 required)

Hermies

Feb 7, 2018
Hey, I haven't played the game for a week or so I'll have to check for an update and go from there:).
There are several things I'de like to point out, First I'me just curious how many others have tried to create a game from scratch, Solo? If you ask me bug fixes and dev. response to those is top notch! All i can do is speak for myself but I can't code or program, Maybe If I spent a year or more learning how then I might have something to say about it. (That said please don't burn your self out by biting off more than you can chew, remember to take a breath when you need it). Since you only have one person working on the game you're going to find mistakes (calendar / buttons /DOORS:whistle:) not working, but if you read some of the first posts he says something to the extent of "a work in progress" . As for the map being too big I will point you to Round Scape and ask you to please repeat what you just said??? and look at Round Scapes rating.. Enough about that, as for the combat it's been my experience that the things worth having usually require some effort to obtain, you don't get one ounce of gold for working 8 hours at your day job do you? and as for how unjust the transition from (field slime to Dare I say "Dungeon" Slime) maybe it's just me but your going into a cave or a dungeon do you think there may be just the slightest possible chance that it's more dangerous in there than out here!!
I'me just curious how long some have been playing RPG's.
So to sum up (from my point of view) You can please Some of the People some of the time, But you Cant Please all of the people all of the time. and to quote Alma_Elma "Always remember to not go away from your main idea because of another people tips" Sound Words.
Once again Thank's for all of your hard work and Keep it up:).