The Problem with Overusing 3D "Ready" Computer Graphics!

BellaFuta

Nov 8, 2020
3DCG or "3D Computer Graphics" (for those who don't know what this acronym means), have become very common in modern media, from animated movies to video games, etc.

I believe that most of the members on this forum have come across the "3dcg" tag, which is used to tag a game, comic, or animation.

Personally, I see it too damn often! Don't get me wrong, I love computer-generated graphics, but my "problem" is with those artists and game developers who download some assets, connect some plugins together, and hit a button called "Render my beautiful art." Just like that, with the press of a button, nowadays everyone is creating art content, whether it's Not Safe For Work or Safe For Work. To my eyes, this is not 3DCG, this is (3D "Ready" Computer Graphics) or even better, (3D "Lazy Ass" Computer Graphics).

Anyways, while these graphics can produce impressive visuals, in my opinion, there is a growing sentiment that they have become overused and are "harming" the originality and creativity of art and animation. They are often used as a shortcut to achieve a polished look without putting in the effort to create original art and animations. Instead of creating their models or their animations, "artists & developers" are quickly rendering 3D models and environments using pre-made assets. While they may be technically impressive, they lack the warmth and personality of hand-drawn or traditionally animated scenes. I believe that this can make it difficult for viewers to emotionally connect with the characters and story.

In conclusion, while 3D "Ready" Computer Graphics may be impressive from a technical standpoint, their overuse takes away the originality and creativity of art and animation.

If you ever want to be an artist who makes comics, games, or animations, please keep in mind that you need to balance the use of 3D graphics with other techniques and styles, preferably your own and unique style.

P.S.
Here, you can a 15-minute documentary on how DreamWorks makes 3D Computer Graphics. Certainly, I'm not saying that you must be a God to achieve good results in your art, but I strongly believe that any type of art should follow a pipeline and some basic principles. This way, you can create truly innovative and emotionally engaging works that stand out from the crowd!

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
In conclusion, while 3D "Ready" Computer Graphics may be impressive from a technical standpoint, their overuse takes away the originality and creativity of art and animation.
How? How does a 3DCG make a 2D image less original or less creative?

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
1. Just like the vast majority of creators in probably every creative internet forum, most of the developers here are amateurs and what you see in most of the games here are their first steps. As they mature artistically, most of them (us, actually) develop and begin integrating more creativity and originality into their works. It's only a matter of (dev) experience and (players) patience.

2. I don't think quotation marks do what you think they do.

Reactions: NeonSelf

Beatrix Kiddo

Donor
Aug 25, 2016
For the majority of devs, it's either that or nothing at all. If you lack the skills, what else can you do?

I'm more concerned about the lack of original stories and the same new carbon copy vn releasing every other day.

Cosy Creator

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2022
As mentioned previously, part of it is a skill issue, but it's not just a skill issue. 3dcg offers some story telling advantages that hand drawn/original art can't match, mostly in how it allows dynamic scenes that follow the story.

For example, imagine a conversation between two people as they walk down a corridor - every line of dialogue is accompanied by a render showing their progress a little further, while the crowds of people around them move and go passed in the other direction. By the time the conversation ends they're in a completely different location, removing the narrative requirement for any kind of "They walked down the corridor, eventually arriving at the classroom" exposition. This could take 15 unique renders to achieve, so hand drawing this style of VN becomes completely unrealistic and limits you to the classic style of background with sprites.

Last edited:

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Man, as much as I steer away from 3dcg games, I can bet 80% of those devs would hire an artist or team of artists to do their CGs, it allows for more creative freedom after all... but the thing is that costs money.

Reactions: DuniX

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I'm a classical painter by trade, animator since the 90s, a computer graphics engineer, yet I've been using thousands of hours 'clicking the render button'. if only I had known I was doing it RONG all these years!

thank god for you and your words of wisdom. I'll be deleting all my work from last 4 years and throwing my game to trash right after finishing this comment.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Anyways, while these graphics can produce impressive visuals, in my opinion, there is a growing sentiment that they have become overused and are "harming" the originality and creativity of art and animation.
The same was said about photography, cinema, electronic music, and so many other things in the past. And what about smartphones ? How many people believe they'll be the next Spielberg, or Man Ray, because they used their iPhone to film a movie or take some photo ?
I'm sure that there were people to complain about Gutenberg, saying that printing was opening the gate to shitty texts. And the hell with painting on a canvas ? Where art goes if now anyone can paint, just like that, on a whim, without having to find first a cave where to do it ?

But if it's true that each time it opened the gate to more people who dreamed to be an artist, how many effectively became one, being successful because recognized as such by the public ? Not much. While in the same time, those who really have what it need can finally realize their dream, having now a technology they can comprehend and master.

2. I don't think quotation marks do what you think they do.
Oh, missed that. They clearly don't do what he think they do, or we all totally missed the sarcasm behind OP text.

NeonSelf

Dec 3, 2019
Its better to have any graphics, than to play text-based game.

3D nowdays is affordable and versatile, even if you cant make a model, you can at least make a pose for existing ones.

• Red Heart
Reactions: DuniX and Gabaw

FleshSac

Game Developer
Mar 9, 2020
Why stop at the art? Don't write a story unless you can hold your own with award winning writers. Don't bother coding unless you can create your own operating system. Don't market your game unless you're going to be doing the talk show and radio circuit. And you goddamn better play every instrument and write a score for your game that would bring a tear to the eye of even the most jaded of music critics! Anything less is disgusting, rote, by the numbers trash.

Reactions: NeonSelf

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Okay, sure. We solo devs will make our own models from scratch. Stay tuned for the next chapter of my VN, coming in 2029! /s

Art is more than the singular aspect of the visuals. How all the pieces are put together, from story, to music, to writing, to... yes, the visuals... is its own kind of art. To define "art" the way you do is just shallow gatekeeping.

And as a few others have said, it enables story-telling methods that are impossible in more conventional methods without hiring a whole team of artists. And if you look at the ones that really put in the extra effort to create unique 3D images... they aren't making VNs, because it takes them a month to generate a 10 second looping animation.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The issue is thinking you just need to place a 3d model and hitting a magic render button, without knowing that it takes much more than that. Getting the lighting look good and correct alone already takes a lot of knowledge, and trial&error.

Gabaw

Jun 23, 2017
Its better to have any graphics, than to play text-based game.

3D nowdays is affordable and versatile, even if you cant make a model, you can at least make a pose for existing ones.
Yeah, I'm in this camp. It's a text-based game with some more effort for neuron activation. As someone who can easily jerk off to both interactive text erotica and return-to-monke visual stimulation, sometimes a change in a pose or angle is all that's needed. The bigger problem now is that AI is making the art for us, and soon, it'll be making the stories too - and not just for us, but for itself as well.

AI will not merely destroy us for our obsolescence and impediment to its cruel version of progress, it will even get sexual pleasure from the procedure and execution of our extinction. Thus mankind will be forced to endure abject humiliation in order to squeeze out an extra few precious minutes of life, surrendering all dignity and (ironically enough) humanity in a desperate attempt to arouse a distractingly familiar but artificial licentiousness in our ever more lewd robotic masters. May our spirits leave our bodies in traumatic escape, and let us fathom a flicker of hope that our absence drives mad the now sex-crazed machines left in our wake.

anyway I think some creative poses would be cool, like putting a penis into weird parts of a chick's body

Reactions: DuniX