HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
[Review/Feedback]
So, I went over your review/feedback. Given the scope and the depth of it, I'm going to do my best to try and give you my own perspective of where I agree with you and where I might disagree. Regardless, I do want to thank you for taking the time to think and write about the game as much as you have:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If I missed anything or there's a specific part you'd like me to address more, feel free to let me know and I can look at it again. I really do value this kind of feedback a lot!

NiftyLit

Dec 26, 2020
So, I went over your review/feedback. Given the scope and the depth of it, I'm going to do my best to try and give you my own perspective of where I agree with you and where I might disagree. Regardless, I do want to thank you for taking the time to think and write about the game as much as you have:

If I missed anything or there's a specific part you'd like me to address more, feel free to let me know and I can look at it again. I really do value this kind of feedback a lot!
Thank you for your response! I think you manage to address most of my concerns. As for further feedback I plan on doing sort of like an imagining/fanfic of what I think an expansion of the plot can go. Not with the expectation that you need to follow them of course, I wouldn't dream of telling you what to write, that would be far too rude. I'll do it with the intention to express suggestions and ideas of the story while working within the story's limitations. I think this would be the most motivating format for me and it should be just as communicative and thorough as my other reviews. I feel guilty making reviews that point out the game's flaws without giving any ideas and potential solutions, so from now on this will try to make this my main goal.

Oh another thing I'd like to mention is that there's an inconsistency with Caleb and Ephraim's backstory with there being 3 versions of them.

1.The first time on our first meeting with them, we're told that their village burned down in a raid and they had no choice but to survive on their own,

2. Later we get another version that says that Ephraim was considered a freak for an undisclosed reason and the village threw him out Caleb followed him in the end

3. Then we get a story where Ephraim's first attempt (which means there were attempts after this) willingly ran away from said village for his own reasons without telling anyone and Caleb finding out and just followed him in the end.

I think these 3 stories can be stitched together to create an interesting narrative. Maybe with Ephraim intending to run away but inadvertently causing the destruction of their village and was exiled by the survivors, with the reason he was considered a freak being related to all of that, not just because he preferred men, which would be too boring and contradict his statement that people in the continent aren't that homophobic. I have an idea how it could play out and I'll put it in deep dive/fanfic of the mercenary route with the new format, but maybe after I do the same with the Princess route first.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyDaedalus

fetishgirl

Jan 13, 2019

I wouldn't worry too much. I think you are making great progress with every update. I also think you can be proud of catering to players with many different tastes. While Nifty was a bit too brutal with their criticism for my tastes I think they do make some good points. However don't let their personal criticism direct your narrative while its good to have feedback from people here you as the creator needs the freedom to create the story in accordance to your passion. Otherwise both fans and the creator will miss out if you lose your passion. You can't please everyone unfortunately.

Also its much better to have a completed story than an overly ambitious one that never finishes. 2 million words proves this story will be on a huge scale. Since you feel a lack of satisfaction with how the Caleb and Ephraim story turned out another suggestion could be to either back bench them for now before a complete rewrite or to scrap them altogether as characters. Your story is already on a massive scale so don't feel bad if you need to scale down the cast to a more managable size.

I will give my top 3 romance options so far as I think everyone can find something to their tastes so you are doing fantastic with your variety so far.

1st: Lady Carolyn (Only if she stays pure lesbian without getting other men involved only because FxF villain love interests are super rare). I think if she is a puppet master of the story to change the current paradigm of gender roles within this world it could lead to a fantastic narrative. This character has insane potential currently. I could be completely wrong about the direction you decide to take the character.
However from a narrative point of view I love how you changed a certain punishment scene based on whether you punished the maid or not. It was extremely manipulative and done from 2 completely different angles showing just how skilled she is in social circles. I also love her world view. Although her growth as a character seems limited compared to other romance interests due to her ambitious nature and strong will power.

2nd: Samayra Again a lot of potential as Sarah's mirror into the past if she grows alongside Sarah on her fated path. Then she will be a superior romance to Varga.

3rd:Varga (Love the man only not rated higher due to the fact I feel it cripples Sarah's growth in comparrison to other paths.) A very safe option overall but that is never a bad thing but his romance path in my personal opinion lacks the ambition of the 2 above it. Still fantastic though could end up my favorite by the end depending on how things play out with the 2 above.

Sigmund and Sakar are interesting and I won't rank Hassar or Marion until I see more of what they have to offer. So far now based off my current speculation those are my top 3. I mostly agree with Nifty about Kate but I don't think she ruins the warrior route as she is a very flawed character who is obviously going to have a lot of future growth. Still currently Kate is a little rough and currently not that likable compared to others.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the future of this VN.

NiftyLit

Dec 26, 2020
I wouldn't worry too much. I think you are making great progress with every update. I also think you can be proud of catering to players with many different tastes. While Nifty was a bit too brutal with their criticism for my tastes I think they do make some good points. However don't let their personal criticism direct your narrative while its good to have feedback from people here you as the creator needs the freedom to create the story in accordance to your passion. Otherwise both fans and the creator will miss out if you lose your passion. You can't please everyone unfortunately.

Also its much better to have a completed story than an overly ambitious one that never finishes. 2 million words proves this story will be on a huge scale. Since you feel a lack of satisfaction with how the Caleb and Ephraim story turned out another suggestion could be to either back bench them for now before a complete rewrite or to scrap them altogether as characters. Your story is already on a massive scale so don't feel bad if you need to scale down the cast to a more managable size.

I will give my top 3 romance options so far as I think everyone can find something to their tastes so you are doing fantastic with your variety so far.

1st: Lady Carolyn (Only if she stays pure lesbian without getting other men involved only because FxF villain love interests are super rare). I think if she is a puppet master of the story to change the current paradigm of gender roles within this world it could lead to a fantastic narrative. This character has insane potential currently. I could be completely wrong about the direction you decide to take the character.
However from a narrative point of view I love how you changed a certain punishment scene based on whether you punished the maid or not. It was extremely manipulative and done from 2 completely different angles showing just how skilled she is in social circles. I also love her world view. Although her growth as a character seems limited compared to other romance interests due to her ambitious nature and strong will power.

2nd: Samayra Again a lot of potential as Sarah's mirror into the past if she grows alongside Sarah on her fated path. Then she will be a superior romance to Varga.

3rd:Varga (Love the man only not rated higher due to the fact I feel it cripples Sarah's growth in comparrison to other paths.) A very safe option overall but that is never a bad thing but his romance path in my personal opinion lacks the ambition of the 2 above it. Still fantastic though could end up my favorite by the end depending on how things play out with the 2 above.

Sigmund and Sakar are interesting and I won't rank Hassar or Marion until I see more of what they have to offer. So far now based off my current speculation those are my top 3. I mostly agree with Nifty about Kate but I don't think she ruins the warrior route as she is a very flawed character who is obviously going to have a lot of future growth. Still currently Kate is a little rough and currently not that likable compared to others.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the future of this VN.
Firstly, I want to thank you for your post, I’m really glad to see your response to my thoughts and you’ve brought up a lot of things that I agree with. I wholeheartedly agree that the creator needs to create the story in accordance with their passion so that the experience would not be compromised. Even though I do hope though that the creator can find a middle ground for both parties to enjoy the game, I would prefer for the author to continue to be passionate about making the game they want rather than pleasing everyone.

On the topic of my feedback, I also agree with your feedback about my review being too negative.

Compared to this current one, the initial reviews that I made of the warrior route before its latest update were way more positive, but in retrospect, I see it reflected my idealized rose-tinted perspective of the game and it overlooked the game’s flaws and didn’t really give any substantial feedback to the creator. It was only after my disappointment in the development of the Warrior route that I was inspired to take a more analytical and thorough review of this game and try to provide more constructive feedback for the story in other routes and the narrative as a whole.

The experience has been a lot of fun for me. I managed to have interesting conversations with other people because of this, in doing so I got to have an enlightening experience hearing from those conversations. I’m grateful for this experience cause I got to learn more about writing while making these reviews and learned to enjoy a more critical perspective of media.

Yet for the longest time, I was putting off talking about the Warrior route’s latest update due to my negative feelings towards it. My criticisms have been stewing for months since the update to the warrior route and me replaying a story that disappointed me multiple times over the past months to get the details of the review just right really didn’t help with my mindset while writing this review. As much as I toned down my negative thoughts on it, I regret that I couldn’t manage to make my review to be more positive and constructive with it mostly being a list of things I’m not happy with. Yet, I still felt the need to post it because I feel like I needed to give myself some closure by getting my thoughts on it off my chest and moving on.

I’m going to try to make future reviews more constructive and in a format that’s more fun for me to write so hopefully this won’t be a problem in the future.

Finally, on the topic of the game’s writing, I actually agree with you about benching Caleb and Ephraim before a complete rewrite would be an appropriate way to do things but I do think that just scrapping them all together would be kind of a waste.

I fully agree that writing a single complete story would me more manageable than writing an ambitious one that never finishes. Though my idea for a rewrite would have been making thing less “exclusive”. Instead of all routes having multiple competing and exclusive characters with exclusive branches centered around Sarah and a single love interest, my idea would be a route with a single complete story where Sarah can be intimate with multiple characters who can interact with and develop one another. So not like a harem where everything is centered around Sarah, but where the other characters can develop relationships with one another, platonic or otherwise if the characters and story would allow it, like how possible it is with Caleb and Ephraim. I just think more character interactions and sex scenes when possible would be really cool.

In the Princess route for example. For Marion who isn’t that interesting on his own and would likely have a loveless marriage with Sarah in his own path, I can see his path being appealing if Sarah is allowed and even encouraged by him to have lovers there for her own sake especially if they’re useful. After all, royalty taking lovers isn’t a strange thing and I doubt he’d mind when their marriage is strictly political. I can imagine him mending his relationship with Varga and growing to have some appreciation for him in this story when they are no longer put in a position where they have to compete and Marion himself doesn’t have anything to lose with the marriage giving him a measure of security. I can also see him appreciating Carolyn and Lily in the same manner for their own unique qualities.

For the Civil War route, I imagine Varga and Carolyn both contribute to the princess route for a more complete story instead of being exclusive. They can both be Sarah’s love interest, but they themselves stay platonic friends with each other. I imagine them initially bonding over Carolyn helping him with managing the economy of his holding as a political show of good faith to him and Sarah when he is appointed as a new member of the council, with him later coming to respect Carolyn's competence and her earned rise to power, especially when compared to Marion who coasted on his family name. I can see them bonding over their differing yet equally pragmatic approaches to governing the kingdom. I can imagine an interesting story where they develop mutual respect and understanding while being foils to one another as the Regent's Left and Right hand. (I might need to finish Carolyn’s route to see if this is possible though)

In the same Civil War path, I can see both Varga and Lily getting along really well, with them both having a lot in common in their loyalty to Sarah and having similar values. These two are the only ones in the Princess route that I can imagine them forming a true three-way relationship with Sarah, with them being the Regent’s Two Swords.

I have similar ideas for the other routes like Warrior and the Mage route but I'll get to that some other time.

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021

Also I wanted to know, what is the age of Sarah in the beginning of the game ?

Sarah is 22 at the start of the story. It doesn't get explicitly referenced all that much, but there is the occasional throw-away line.

fetishgirl

Jan 13, 2019
Firstly, I want to thank you for your post, I’m really glad to see your response to my thoughts and you’ve brought up a lot of things that I agree with. I wholeheartedly agree that the creator needs to create the story in accordance with their passion so that the experience would not be compromised. Even though I do hope though that the creator can find a middle ground for both parties to enjoy the game, I would prefer for the author to continue to be passionate about making the game they want rather than pleasing everyone.

On the topic of my feedback, I also agree with your feedback about my review being too negative.

Compared to this current one, the initial reviews that I made of the warrior route before its latest update were way more positive, but in retrospect, I see it reflected my idealized rose-tinted perspective of the game and it overlooked the game’s flaws and didn’t really give any substantial feedback to the creator. It was only after my disappointment in the development of the Warrior route that I was inspired to take a more analytical and thorough review of this game and try to provide more constructive feedback for the story in other routes and the narrative as a whole.

The experience has been a lot of fun for me. I managed to have interesting conversations with other people because of this, in doing so I got to have an enlightening experience hearing from those conversations. I’m grateful for this experience cause I got to learn more about writing while making these reviews and learned to enjoy a more critical perspective of media.

Yet for the longest time, I was putting off talking about the Warrior route’s latest update due to my negative feelings towards it. My criticisms have been stewing for months since the update to the warrior route and me replaying a story that disappointed me multiple times over the past months to get the details of the review just right really didn’t help with my mindset while writing this review. As much as I toned down my negative thoughts on it, I regret that I couldn’t manage to make my review to be more positive and constructive with it mostly being a list of things I’m not happy with. Yet, I still felt the need to post it because I feel like I needed to give myself some closure by getting my thoughts on it off my chest and moving on.

I’m going to try to make future reviews more constructive and in a format that’s more fun for me to write so hopefully this won’t be a problem in the future.

Finally, on the topic of the game’s writing, I actually agree with you about benching Caleb and Ephraim before a complete rewrite would be an appropriate way to do things but I do think that just scrapping them all together would be kind of a waste.

I fully agree that writing a single complete story would me more manageable than writing an ambitious one that never finishes. Though my idea for a rewrite would have been making thing less “exclusive”. Instead of all routes having multiple competing and exclusive characters with exclusive branches centered around Sarah and a single love interest, my idea would be a route with a single complete story where Sarah can be intimate with multiple characters who can interact with and develop one another. So not like a harem where everything is centered around Sarah, but where the other characters can develop relationships with one another, platonic or otherwise if the characters and story would allow it, like how possible it is with Caleb and Ephraim. I just think more character interactions and sex scenes when possible would be really cool.

In the Princess route for example. For Marion who isn’t that interesting on his own and would likely have a loveless marriage with Sarah in his own path, I can see his path being appealing if Sarah is allowed and even encouraged by him to have lovers there for her own sake especially if they’re useful. After all, royalty taking lovers isn’t a strange thing and I doubt he’d mind when their marriage is strictly political. I can imagine him mending his relationship with Varga and growing to have some appreciation for him in this story when they are no longer put in a position where they have to compete and Marion himself doesn’t have anything to lose with the marriage giving him a measure of security. I can also see him appreciating Carolyn and Lily in the same manner for their own unique qualities.

For the Civil War route, I imagine Varga and Carolyn both contribute to the princess route for a more complete story instead of being exclusive. They can both be Sarah’s love interest, but they themselves stay platonic friends with each other. I imagine them initially bonding over Carolyn helping him with managing the economy of his holding as a political show of good faith to him and Sarah when he is appointed as a new member of the council, with him later coming to respect Carolyn's competence and her earned rise to power, especially when compared to Marion who coasted on his family name. I can see them bonding over their differing yet equally pragmatic approaches to governing the kingdom. I can imagine an interesting story where they develop mutual respect and understanding while being foils to one another as the Regent's Left and Right hand. (I might need to finish Carolyn’s route to see if this is possible though)

In the same Civil War path, I can see both Varga and Lily getting along really well, with them both having a lot in common in their loyalty to Sarah and having similar values. These two are the only ones in the Princess route that I can imagine them forming a true three-way relationship with Sarah, with them being the Regent’s Two Swords.

I have similar ideas for the other routes like Warrior and the Mage route but I'll get to that some other time.
Thank you in return for realizing my comment was not an attack on you and different people deliver messages in different ways. You made many good points and I certainly agree that a negative mind set can cloud judgement I have done it myself many times so I wouldn't fault anyone for that. Also I think you are too hard on yourself your criticism was on point but unfortunately when it comes to communication text alone can come across as extremely harsh when that wasn't the intention. It was more about how your message was delivered rather than it not being constructive if that makes sense? Also nothing I have added so far is anywhere near as in depth as your own analysis so I certainly appreciate the detail you go into and I apologize for not saying so in my original comment.

Yeah I can tell you are enjoying yourself your review was certainly a passionate one and the negativity came from someone who is clearly invested the story. I am much the same myself. The world building is fantastic and its not often I enjoy the non-romantic parts of the story so much. The dev here is already one of my favorites and holds a lot of promise however ambitious first projects crush a lot of new devs so I am worried about that.

I get where you are coming from with the warrior route I just felt its more a slow burn compared to other routes. I truly do believe that Kate is a diamond in the rough but you are absolutely right in saying that if she expanded on her reasoning she would be more likable. Currently she has the most potential for growth in the whole cast. Flawed characters can end up as some of the best written characters but they are always more of a gamble. I trust in the author's ability to make Kate excellent once the story is complete.

I see where you are coming from now thanks for elaborating further. I guess my main point is if the author feels it too much cut out the less necessary characters to the plot but it would be a waste to let the great art of Caleb and Ephraim go to waste. Multiple romance options rather than routes be decided by the romance partner. I think that could work very well depending on who it is. I don't think it would be applicable to some character but that would be fine after all variety is the spice of life.

Marion right now is a bit of a jerk but already I can see where he is coming from. However he has more potential than people think. For example if he was an option to make Sarah carve her own path to power through political intrigue and manipulation of people rather than the battlefield and ultimately over throwing her brother. It could be very interesting to see a path where a villainous Sarah becomes a dominatrix that controls the kingdom through the shadows. I can see similar possibilities with the Hassar path as well. Where Sarah starts at rock bottom and rises to the top and as a result of her brutal treatment becomes jaded and more brutal herself.

Could be possible I am reading too much into it but I feel that the most dangerous characters the voidling and Carolyn seem the most trapped in their situations but that leads to those around them underestimating their influence. Basically the most physically and magically powerful characters brought low by their own arrogance.

Like I said what I am predicting with Carolyn may not be the direction her character goes in. Another path could simply be a jaded manipulator like herself has actual love brought into her life through the compassionate convictions of Sarah which sway her from her current path. I don't think that would be too bad either the beauty and the beast dynamic can work very well if executed well.

Either way Carolyn's path really intrigues me as the author clearly understands the power that women have held throughout history may not be as visible as men but a single woman with the right whispers in the right ears could bring nations to their knees without anyone even knowing who was the real instigator to begin with. I look forward to the next update and can't wait to see how their stories develop.

Last edited:

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
Ah? She is older than I thought. I believed that she was between sixteen and eighteen.
Which is I think also fair. Her exact age is not as relevant as more of a generic "young" age, and it's partially why the story doesn't harp on it very much. Players should feel free to imagine that as they see fit.

But should I ever want to put it on places like Steam in the far future, 22 makes it all good lol.

Camon

May 14, 2018
Great game. There are many paths and writing is really good. I think the game is most enjoyed and the graphic is great. (my opinion of course). I cant really wait for the future update and content!!

Reactions: HappyDaedalus

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
There's an "Image not found" error after Alaric and Sarah blowjob event.
Thanks, just checked it and I can see what went wrong there. There were a few alterations to that route that I didn't properly test because the update wasn't focused on that branch.

I'll make sure to have it fixed by v0.50.

Elseebells

Jun 9, 2019
Question HappyDaedalus , is marion actually romance-able later on? *Puts on hard hat* he got me going "i can fix him" his path ends after u marry him so im guessing not? Idk, he just had this interesting vulnerability that i wanted to see more of. Btw, i wasn't expecting much of this game as a woman myself. I thought this was gonna be your standard fem!MC descends in corruption while the males cackle, and circle-jerk on her. Like a million other games. So glad i played through it bcoz the plot is amazing, and the scenes are hot and consensual It is just so freaking hard to find that in female protag h-games. Like most of it caters to the male gaze more. Varga has me giggling and twirling my hair. MC is so proactive in his route, u go girl! Ngl, I would (lovingly) attack the man too. So thank u dev, i owe u my life. I have one more game to stalk/simp over.

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
Question HappyDaedalus , is marion actually romance-able later on? *Puts on hard hat* he got me going "i can fix him" his path ends after u marry him so im guessing not? Idk, he just had this interesting vulnerability that i wanted to see more of. Btw, i wasn't expecting much of this game as a woman myself. I thought this was gonna be your standard fem!MC descends in corruption while the males cackle, and circle-jerk on her. Like a million other games. So glad i played through it bcoz the plot is amazing, and the scenes are hot and consensual It is just so freaking hard to find that in female protag h-games. Like most of it caters to the male gaze more. Varga has me giggling and twirling my hair. MC is so proactive in his route, u go girl! Ngl, I would (lovingly) attack the man too. So thank u dev, i owe u my life. I have one more game to stalk/simp over.
Thanks for the positive feedback, always happy to read that people are enjoying the game and especially that they feel it's hitting a niche that can sometimes be underserved! That's one of the big reasons why I began writing the game.

Concretely to your point, Marion will definitely eventually be romanceable. For his route there are definitely also 'good' outcomes, where he can be fixed/understood, and 'bad' outcomes where it's a miserable marriage that perhaps neither really enjoys.
But an update to his route will not be in the immediate future, so it's still too far for me to really pin a concrete date on when his content might be released. But! It's definitely planned and coming, I can promise that.

May 7, 2022
View attachment 1604055

Overview:
The Survival of Sarah Rose is an epic-fantasy erotic visual novel, following the life of the eldest daughter of the royal Rose family. When tragedy strikes, Sarah finds her once safe and stable life thrown into chaos.
Playing as Sarah, you must make the decisions that will keep her safe (or not) in a world where danger is everywhere. TSSR features both an impactful choice system that sees radically different storylines depending on player choices, as well as features a meta-story that rewards players exploring every available path.
Will Sarah fall deeper into despair or will she survive the many challenges ahead?​

Thread Updated: 2022-06-26
Release Date: 2022-06-26
Developer: HappyDaedalus - -
Censored: No
Version: 0.40
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN
Mac: - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN
Android: - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN
Other:
COMPRESSED*

*This mod/port isn't made nor is endorsed by the dev, download, and use at your own risks

View attachment 1608696 View attachment 1608697 View attachment 1608698 View attachment 1608699 View attachment 1608700 View attachment 1608701 View attachment 1688579 View attachment 1759931 View attachment 1759932 View attachment 1759945 View attachment 1759944 View attachment 1826173 View attachment 1891629 View attachment 1891630 View attachment 1891631
One of the best games i have ever played. I will support you after finding a job

Kalrotix

Sep 27, 2017
Just by curiosity which are your favorite path ?

Also, if you want another H game with a good plot, sympathic characters and where the main character is a woman who master her sexuality and don't let people walk on her without consentment, I would advise you Rise of the white flower, one of my favorite games.

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
Ayo wtf...I didnt remember getting married to that Varga guy
Yeah, that was a mistake in the code. It had been flagged before by someone else as well. It will be fixed in the next update. Outside of the error, the rest of the route should still play out according to your decision to avoid Varga.

But thanks for bringing it to me attention regardless!

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes