Thread Reviews - Moderation Method Suggestions

Rufio

Sep 4, 2017
It doesn't get one star because the art was good. It gets one star because it exists.

The art being good gives it at least another star, especially since you mentioned that point more than once. So, yes: you obviously decided to piss on the game for whatever reason and while it's OK to not like it, sending mixed signals in your review makes that an unclear message. That doesn't really help other people trying to get ideas about the game.

It's pretty typical for beleaguered Reviewers to blame site staff for fanboyism, etc. It's a feeble strawman: I never saw the game until hitting upon your review Report.

Instead of defending your original review to the death and considering our simple rules, you have decided to play the victim. Only some minor changes would be needed to pass, in this case. The choice is still yours: the review remains taken down unless and until you decide that practicality is a better path.
On the second page there is a discussion on a deleted review in which moderator fried decided as a review got 1 star but the art was good, the review was not *trying* to be objective.

1670661895841.png

Ironically, if Diconica was less objective, by not including a positive aspect, the review might have stayed up as it would then not have broken frieds new rules on the star system and objectivity.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Building AI to find bad reviews is essentially impossible, at least not without an enormous team of geniuses.
Actually it's not so complicated.

If you could sort the game by rating, that would solve already a lot of problems.

The one star reviews are usually by people who hate XYZ fetish.
The five star reviews are usually by fanbois.
Both can be ignored.

If you read only 2-4 star reviews, you'd probably get a better idea about the game.

Sorting by word count could help as well.

The issue that this doesn't solve is the average rating.

In the game I reviewed, and as a general rule, harem and NTR are mutually exclusive fetishes.
Actually there are games which manage to have convincingly do both, in separate paths.
Culture Shock, for example.

For a bunch of ridiculous and in my opinion completely unfair reviews:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rovering-to-sussex-ch-1-v0-1-1-zargon_games-rfb.116267/br-reviews

Last edited:
Reactions: Taulion and Rufio

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
Actually there are games which manage to have convincingly do both, in separate paths.
Kinda proves my point right there. They're not the same path plus or minus some dialog and sex scenes. They're separate paths, or bad ends in some games like Power Vacuum. The 2 fetishes simply don't blend together well unless the NTR is there for netorase content like in Midlife Crisis.

Reactions: Taulion

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Actually it's not so complicated.

If you could sort the game by rating, that would solve already a lot of problems.

The one star reviews are usually by people who hate XYZ fetish.
The five star reviews are usually by fanbois.
Both can be ignored.

If you read only 2-4 star reviews, you'd probably get a better idea about the game.

Sorting by word count could help as well.

The issue that this doesn't solve is the average rating.

Culture Shock, for example.

For a bunch of ridiculous and in my opinion completely unfair reviews:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rovering-to-sussex-ch-1-v0-1-1-zargon_games-rfb.116267/br-reviews
Wrong. If you read the post right above yours you would see an example of a review that isn't biased against a fetish that has nothing to do with it. Yes, I rated it one star. I've also rated games that have fetishes I don't like with more than one star. Take TITS for example. I'm not into Futa/ Trans but the game is very well put together and the author seriously pays attention to their writing. So while the content isn't to my liking there is no denying the game is made well and so on. It is made to appease the target audience it is meant for and does it well.

When it comes to NTR my issues isn't with NTR just the vast amount of shit writing that tends to go with it and a lot of stuff labeled NTR isn't NTR.

If you look back through the posts I made one with the criteria I look at. https://f95zone.to/threads/thread-reviews-moderation-method-suggestions.139295/post-9558250

Reactions: Taulion

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Kinda proves my point right there. They're not the same path plus or minus some dialog and sex scenes. They're separate paths, or bad ends in some games like Power Vacuum. The 2 fetishes simply don't blend together well unless the NTR is there for netorase content like in Midlife Crisis.
Pure NTR is not conducive with a harem ever. When I say pure NTR the aspect of the guy feeling hopeless and just having to watch. That is a behavior pattern that doesn't match what it takes to have a harem.
A man with a harem has to have confidence and the mentality of I will handle this deal with it ...
There are generally 2 ways the person who has a harem will deal with a woman leaving
1) hurt or kill the other male
2) consider the woman not worth is time and replace her
if he feels he was at fault for her leaving he might try to make amends with her. Number 1) is still a likelihood

If you are just talking the woman leaving with another man in general
It depends on how it is done.
Most the games write some shit character that she is supposedly drawn to or some poor reason. Think about it. Here she was willing to stick around for you even though all these other women were also in play. Some rando showing up regardless of what he looks like and how nice he is and what he buys here isn't pushing the same level of issue. If the only reason was she was hanging around you was your money then yes he might look attractive to her. But if that wasn't the case it isn't suddenly going to become her concern.
In short suddenly they are making the female character act totally out of character.

When it comes to dealing with or solving the issue it is some plot an 8th or 9th grader pimple faced nerd who never got laid in his life would come up with.

However if you create a set of women that each like to be treated certain way and you fail to figure it out and give her what she needs that's on you. That's acceptable. If you build in a recourse system even better.

If the girl gets kidnapped, taken, or lost some how and fail to do what is needed to get her back again. As long as it make sense most will accept it.

If you have battles and combat and girls can get killed or captured again.... Ok, better if there is a way to break them back out or get them back...

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
On the second page there is a discussion on a deleted review in which moderator fried decided as a review got 1 star but the art was good, the review was not *trying* to be objective.

View attachment 2225454

Ironically, if Diconica was less objective, by not including a positive aspect, the review might have stayed up as it would then not have broken frieds new rules on the star system and objectivity.
These aren't new rules so much as asking for an objective rating to match the review content. We don't allow for ratings manipulation and even if someone isn't intending to make that happen, the disparity in that review was just enough to be confusing when I read it through, then looked at the game to see what was being described.

It only needed a small tweak to pass the sniff test and better represent what they were trying to offer about the game, so that didn't need to become a point of dug-in contention.

First and foremost in the rules we ask for objective content that helps others learn what is good and/or bad in a game: that means everything you offer should try to do that relatively consistently so we can understand the significance of points as offered. I was honestly confused by the 1 star vs the review content and that's it. Making it a 2 star or rebalancing the graphics mentions could have been an easy tweak.

Different moderation/staff members will read into the reviews in their own manner, this is just my way of interpreting the particular review.

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
Which is why the immediate reaction was to delete the entire thing without warning and tell the reviewer that their method of rating games was wrong.
We sometimes delete obvious content that needs to go. I edit reviews (e.g., remove ranting about the Dev, but leave otherwise non-rules-breaking review content) and then inform the Reviewer frequently enough.

If it comes down to a question of intent, we won't rewrite or re-rate your review: we'll take it down and allow for you to make an update, then reinstate it. It's that simple.

Reactions: Chrathrard

Rufio

Sep 4, 2017
Hi Fried,
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter, So to be clear if i report all 5-star reviews that do not offer enough objective reason for the game to be 5*, or if they include negative points (I.E "the art style is bad, which means it should lose a star just for that) you would delete those reviews?