Ren'Py - Completed - TP: The Class Next Door [v0.12.1] [9thCrux]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Deleted member 1370694

(edited Feb '21)

The slow burn is not the problem. The dialogues, writing and characters are.

I rated it 5 stars when I first played it. Now with more content I can't justify this anymore. The art is still great, the ambition is there, but it's more and more clear that a good writer is missing. I don't even mean the story itself, but the dialogues.

The dialogues are often as much descriptive as they are redundant. They switch between formal and informal in between sentences when greeting each other.

"Hi!" "Good Morning!" "Good Morning!" "Hi!" "Hi!" "Hello, Teacher!" "Good Morning, nameX, Y, Z" Good Morning, over there as well… All the time. And that's when several characters meet and stop by kinda simultanously to greet the teacher, then greet each other as well, and after all the greeting they farewell is similar redundant and wordy. And beside the Greetings and Farewells nothing much happens and that way too often in this VN.

The dialogue just isn't good. There is no tension. There is no character. No fights, no mystery, no nothing, except robotic harmony. And on top of it the wordyness and redundance. Every answer has to be answered, everything double-checked and every thought has to be spoken out loud.

Another thing, but that's maybe not a problem for everyone. I didn't like how everyone falls for the MC so quickly and really everyone is friendly to each other. There are no quarrels, no fights, no different opinions, the teacher (the MC) is the missing part in everyone's life. And to me, that's boring and a turn-off for me.

Decent writing and dialogues are important. Great renders alone just don't do it. And the renders are great, way better than in most games actually. I wish Alexandra would have these renders, because that's the biggest flaw of that VN. But TP The Class next Door is the the other way around. Great renders, but a prime example that writing actually is important, especially since it's a slow burn. And slow burns are my thing, but the writing must carry it.

It's a shame really, since when I first played the game it looked promising, but then it introduced so many characters at once and all of them lack personality. They all are similar, except the visual appearance.

Here an example of a scene that should be more interesting, but fails because of the lack of a decent writer:

Three of four girls stand in a row and one of them (Daria) says: "We should do the bunny chase now".
    The fourth girl Tiffany (your daughter) says: "Okay, Daria"
    Tiffany: "You can chase each other outside, it's a bright night, and you could break something inside"
    Daria: "Alright."
    Emily suddenly has second thoughts and asks: "Is it cold outside"
    Tiffany answers: "A little."
    Joan: "It's kind of chilly"
    And Tiffany: "You will be okay, you will be running around."

And they all wear bunny underwear, except Tiffany wears kitty underwear. They just decided and it seems it's totally normal to do this with the teacher after a couple of Good Mornings, Hellos and His.
    In my opinion that's not good writing. And it's even one of the better scenes.

The Triangle and A Knight's Tale are similar to this game, except it's focused on three love interests instead of a whole class room and teacher's room.
    Both games have similar problems like TP:TCnD with this spooky harmony everywhere, the lack of tension or any interesting that could break that spooky and robotic harmony for a moment. In both games the MC is the same missing puzzle part to every love interest, and all girls fall for the MC in no time as well. The dialogues in said games are not great either, but way less formal and redundant.

With more lewd and sex scenes and less redundant writing, this could be a bigger harem variant of a knight's tale or the triangle. If you're into that it could be something.

Personally I expected something else, especially since the start of the game focused primarily on Tiffany and MC's past and the relationship between them.

But I wish the developer the best. And I wish they/he/she can hire a decent writer for this or next project, because that's the core problem with this game. Everything else is fine.

I really don't want to be this guy, especially since I see how 9th Crux giving the best, but I can't justify five stars anymore and have to lower my rating accordingly.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Maniac21

The game is super skipable. There is no character development, no sexual development. Just nothing.

The premise is good. Mashing the new teacher plot with single father plot but i expect at least somethings to move by episode 3.

At this speed i dont think the dev will be able to decide which direction he wants the game to move till episode 5 and there wont be anything substantial till episode 7.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

Alex Lem

Ok, at first I gave this game a 5 stars, but after all the updates, and looking at how little individual time is given to the girls and how terrible the sex scenes are, without even a small build-up to them, I changed my mind. 9thCrux, you really need to learn how to write a build-up for the sex scenes, so that they do not look cheap and insignificant for the plot. After going through one of the sex scenes, it seems that it didn’t even happen, they don’t even talk about it. They shouldn't behave like that after a sex scene, even if it was just a kiss, it should mean something, especially for a father and daughter. I'm not even talking about a dream sex scenes, they don't mean anything, they just there. There are still enough problems in the game but these are the biggest ones for me. But I still like this game, and I am very much looking forward to the development of ex-wife plot. As soon as the 9thCrux fixes this problems in the game I will change this review, but now it only 3 stars, maybe 3.5
  4. 3.00 star(s)

ZenPath

as of Ep. 2 version 0.5.3

Pros

1. nice graphics;
    2. detailed locations;
    3. most female characters are beautiful and unique (not seen in other games);
    4. even though at times inelegant and tasteless, a good variety of outfits for the characters;
    5. it appears that the dev has taken great care about the game’s graphical elements.

Cons

1. if on one hand the narrative (game itself) has an excessive and unnecessary level of information, on the other it lacks solid and reasonable data. in creative writing, such process is called wordiness;
    2. some processes don’t make much sense; e.g.: why move from a decorated house to a single double-bed hotel room? since the home was chosen and rented online, weren’t there pictures of the place for them to see?
    3. overall an incoherent — ergo confusing — narrative;
    4a. as the dev wrongly establishes, the “self” element isn’t precisely the character’s inner voice; seeing that it interacts with both the father and the daughter, it behaves more as an independent conscience;
    4b. since the “self” has previous knowledge on the characters’ histories, it’s also not the player’s conscience;
    4c. whatever or whoever the “self” is, its interactions only add to the narrative's confusion;
    5. the above factors only help making the game rather boring, as written in some reviews above below.

Suggestion

exploring the game’s emotional curve by redoing some of the beginning shall help making the plot more interesting and agile.

hope this helps.
  5. 1.00 star(s)

maxx mad

V 0.5.1

The settings is interesting and models looks alright.

What is the game about ?
    - A lot of uninteresting dialogs with a few non choices every now and then (choices with only one option ... seriously ?)
    - No h-scene at all
    - A message saying it's the end and you're on free roam mode
    - I have no idea if it's the end and the game should actually stop or if there is hidden content but i searched and it looks like there is nothing there

Ratings : 0/5 for wasting my time
  6. 5.00 star(s)

swiezak1988

First things first, if you're looking for a quick fap, please move along and don't forget to get back here once you'll find time for some more complex cravings. Game has a long, but very well written and purposeful introduction telling where main game heroes (father and daughter) stand now and how they got in this place. Author somehow managed to make their relation extremely sweet without causing diabetes. Congratulations :) . It is definitely due to sour past that daughter gave her father, making a room for redemptional sweetness to even out the final taste. With sour-sweet combination I'm clearly making a reference to coke, but I wouldn't do justice to this game by comparing it's quality to that tasty, but quite basic and popular drink. The overall quality of graphics and writing is on a level of a decent restaurant, if we stick to comestible comparisons. I'm looking forward to further playthrough.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Zanthrophene

Looks promising, the walking around is awesome. Hopefully it will be more choices based so we can create our own story rather than it being mostly clicks. But either way it looks good!

Sometimes it's a bit hard to understand what the MC thinks and actually says. Especially in the hotel room with the mirror. Also all of the girls in front of the teachers face gossiping I found rather unconvincing. Also the part of "are they heavy" putting hands on boobs seems a bit too quick for the story.
  8. 4.00 star(s)

kshyk

Good First Episode. Nice renders. I can already say, in this game, story is on the first place, then comes sex and romance - exactly the way I like it.
    Let me warn you: THERE IS A LOT OF TEXT!

There are some very important choices in first episode, but it's outcomes are unpredictable - that's makes me worry. I can't say more without revealing some of this VN's plot ("spoilers") - but I'm talking about very first choice in the game. I'm afraid this might turn into - "follow the walkthrough kind of game".
    There'a also a hint at the end of the episode, that it might turn into sandbox/free roam game. That's usually a bad sign.. but there are some good games with that mode, so no jugment here.

So let's wait some time, and then, after a year or so, let's give "The Class Next Door" our final verdict. For now - PLAY IT!

P.S. Very important request: GIVE OUR PROTAGONIST A SURNAME!!!
  9. 5.00 star(s)

OP83De

Not bad. The writing isn't over the top like other games on here where the writing goes out the window. The visuals also look really good. I can't wait for the next chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing what else the developer does.
  10. 2.00 star(s)

AL.d

- See a new game with interesting renders.

- Try it and get that feeling of dread as I realize that extremely long and boring school tour is probably a demo for a sandbox system.

- Start skipping as that school tour has left me dazed and the dialogue is not that interesting.

- Notice that the game doesn't like that as it it keeps interrupting my skipping with pointless, single "non-choice" prompts.

- Reach the inevitable sandboxy free roam in the house, exit and delete folder as this game is obviously not for me.

Still, this game could get an audience as it has obvious similarities with other succesful games in the same vain. And some decent enough renders. Just not for me I guess (in its current, very early form).
  11. 1.00 star(s)

lordofevilcr

My old review aged like old milk. The game started off great, but the new "story" additions got worse and worse. The art has always been great, and is still the high point of the game, but the latest re-release as an utterly broken sandbox is just the worst gameplay I've seen in a while.

Don't play this game, it sucks. Download the art of the old version, and move on.

I did see this coming as a previous subscriber, as the dev is completely opposed to any comments, even when they're very constructive or even helping to spend time to fix their game. Instead, they'll just plough on with their plans, regardless of the feedback, turning everything to shit in the process.

Old review:
    Great start.

The models and their posing is really good. I like that the outfits and hair changes; it's a breath of fresh air compared to other novels with characters always wearing the same outfits.

Story is cute, but some of the situations are a bit unrealistic . The father and daughter ask each other whether it's okay to leave the room even if it's just for a few minutes. It's like they're a fresh couple. Similarly, the conversations during the tour are like they're between friends, not a head teacher they've never met. The text can use some proofreading, but is still clear.

Game already has some sexy scenes, I particularly the teasing scenes with the daughter.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

fotogaik

I really like how the game is coming up so far. I'm a sucker for custom models and Tiffany's face is absolutely refreshing.

1. Graphics
    Quality is superb. This shows well when Tiffany and her dad are out on a walk, the park is incredibly well made. The only gripe is that there are no footprints and maybe grass could do with a bit of a lift, but besides that, you really nailed it.
    Display windows in the city are way too clean. There should be some smudges and dust on them.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

2. UI
    No side pictures and no visual cues to who's talking. That makes it really confusing to follow the dialogues.

3. Sound.
    There's no sound except theme music. I'm totally fine with that. I usually turn off sound and music, anyway, so no loss for me. (I mean, it's possible that there is some other music in the game, but I turned down music volume, so I don't know).

4. Descriptions.
    Sometimes, it's not obvious what the character looks like even when you have a picture of him or her in front of you. Not everything is obvious.

5. Dialogue.
    Stilted at times. Not everywhere, but when it's there, it's obvious that people don't talk to each other like that. Dialogues are very artificial.
    The "Self" character is sometimes an inner voice of the MC, and sometimes the narrator. I think this should be more clearly indicated.
    There are lots of pattern language errors (grammar, spelling). Like "tho" instead of "thought", "is" instead of "it is" or "it's" and inappropriate contractions (such as "I'm" instead of "I am").
    Since students will address you formally, your character needs to have a surname. He cannot be "Mr. John" or "Mr. Bill", nobody says that except ironically. It should be Mr. Surname, such as "Mr. Smith" or "sir" where appropriate (no need to repeat the last name over and over). Students won't be addressing the MC with his first name, this needs to be added.

6. Premise
  13. 5.00 star(s)

zyarman

i love these girls! I like these pure-looking pretty girls, not the horny-looking boned face girls. And i also like this kind of graphic. Not heavy but enough to express sexy. But clothes are to tight at breast. It looks so artificial. If you loosen the clothes at breast, it;s ganna be natural.
  14. 4.00 star(s)

RoadWulf

Impressions based on the Demo version 1.1

A good start for a demo. And the demo was a nice tour of the school so we know what type of renders we'll be looking forward to.

I've seen a lot of the locations before, but they were put together in such a nice way.

I'm not sure that the head of the school should be sitting at the front desk, shouldn't she have her own office?

Tiffany is such a refreshing face btw. I don't think I've seen her model before, so obviously some thought went into making her unique.

The only downside is the Hud, which is obtuse and totally in the way. I get the idea of making something unique, but god was that thing annoying to look at. It's worse than a standard text box. Now given how the various areas on it looked, I'd imagine it's going to have some use, but maybe you should have saved the HUD until the functions were present.