Others [Translation Request] - Ooki Onna No Ko Ni Hakobareru/ Carried by a big girl!

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Apr 29, 2020
I've actually been working on this translation for months now, complete with UI/Img translations and my own comprehensive walkthrough PDF guide. Since this is my first time translating, I need a lot of time to polish and learn things.

The good news is that I can finally say that the game's translation is about 90% complete, just need to polish a few more stuff for everyone to fully enjoy. The bad news is that I'm losing interest translating it (maybe because of burnout)

I'm nearing completion now, all I ask is a few words of encouragement and motivation to push me through this trivial ordeal of mine.
The ETA I planned is around 1+ month from now, maybe shorter if I'm really motivated. Anyways, wish me luck!
Thank you, just thank you with every fiber of my being with this, you have no idea how convoluted it is that DLsite has so many games yet so little people either don't bring them here or don't even try to translate these games in the first place. We really need more people like you who actually gives a hoot in giving these games the justice they deserve in translation.

Tabszoid

May 23, 2022
Thank you, just thank you with every fiber of my being with this, you have no idea how convoluted it is that DLsite has so many games yet so little people either don't bring them here or don't even try to translate these games in the first place. We really need more people like you who actually gives a hoot in giving these games the justice they deserve in translation.
No problem dude, it's thanks to you and everyone else on this thread that share the tips and website guide so that I can manage to finish the game at all. Thanks to that I fell in love with the game and start the passion of translating it.

I want everyone to have a smooth experience playing this game so that no one would struggle and be turned off by the game's difficulty. That's why I'm doing by best to translate it.

BTW, if anyone's wondering about the quality of the translation, I have some knowledge in Japanese and its sentence structure, so I've research a few complicated Japanese words online (Jisho, Weblio, HiNative, etc.) and converted it into proper English sentences with accurate synonyms and nuances.

Anyway, thx for the encouragement! I'll definitely publish my translation soon

Tabszoid

May 23, 2022
Great news, I finally finish translating the whole story and common events!
All that's left is to finish translating the recollection room, which basically means copy pasting a lot of the character's dialogues.
Which also means I need to re-read my translations again and probably revise them more...
meaning extra polish and time is needed...

I speculate it'll be done maybe around 1-2 weeks or so, along with my walkthrough PDF guide.
Speaking of that, I wanted to give a preview of my guide and see what y'all think, it's not done yet though.
Obviously major spoilers for the game, but anyone who's curious or finished the game before are welcomed.
This guide really helps me with my creativity, and not just translating over and over again.

Anyways, every support/encouragement/feedback and whatnot are always appreciated!

Reactions: batman30655

Doodadad

Oct 10, 2018
Out of curiosity, it looks like you're using both quotation marks and hooked brackets in your posted screenshots. I tend to use the latter in game translation because I'm a weeaboo-ass weeaboo, but both seem kind of redundant when uses in RPG Maker dialogue boxes with speaker names (with the exception of calling out specific 「words」 in a sentence).

Tabszoid

May 23, 2022
Out of curiosity, it looks like you're using both quotation marks and hooked brackets in your posted screenshots. I tend to use the latter in game translation because I'm a weeaboo-ass weeaboo, but both seem kind of redundant when uses in RPG Maker dialogue boxes with speaker names (with the exception of calling out specific 「words」 in a sentence).
Well... This is my first translation, so I had to use the MTL as the base and MTL just converts the 「」 into "" automatically.
After a while, I realized the original JP version also uses a lot of "" and a few English words, which confuses me a lot.
So I just ended up using the 『』 for everything. I should note that the 『』is mainly used for re-quoting what the protagonist said.
But I used it to replace double quotation and even single quotation marks.

I'd love to change every "" to 「」like the original Japanese version, but that would require more copy pasting, something I dread doing...
I attached some proof the show my meaning

Doodadad

Oct 10, 2018
If you're willing to take suggestions, once you have all the bracketed quotes in place, try a quick find > replace to replace all " with nothing (unless you're fine leaving them). For all the text that you've decided to put in brackets, I'd also suggest removing any spaces before and after the brackets themselves (can also probably be done quickly with the find/replace option). Since they're full-width characters, they already space out a decent amount from the English text on their own.

Tabszoid

May 23, 2022
I'm guessing you mean replacing all the double quotation marks in the JSON file with Notepad++ ?
That's a really great idea, but... Wouldn't that mean it would also break the coding of the game that uses double quotation marks too?

Unless I'm missing something in the RPG Maker program that I use to translate, you're gonna have to give me a detailed suggestion.
If this is some 3 step process kinda thing, then I'd be happy to take the time to do this.
Otherwise, I'm leaving the double quotation marks in the game as it is,
I already optimize the game's text by circumventing it with the 『』 anyway.
Most people probably won't notice it nor care enough about it.

Last edited:

Doodadad

Oct 10, 2018
Ah, didn't realize you were working directly with RPG Maker, I thought you were using Translator++. None of the Makers include any built-in features for doing mass find/replace operations on script files. You could run the finished translation through Translator++ as a last step and do the cleaning there, but it's probably more effort than it's worth.

The point regarding bracket spacing is probably worth considering though, if there's not a lot of uses to dig through and you haven't already done so.

This is an 『example』 sentence. ← normal spacing
This is an『example』sentence. ← no spacing

The one hiccup being that it may trigger some early word wrapping.

Tabszoid

May 23, 2022
So it's a Translator++ feature only... I'll definitely consider it, but I can't promise I'll do it though.
Already have too much on my plate doing multiple revisions on this game, did you know this game has 188 maps?
At least from the data file I've looked at having Map001 until Map188...
So you can tell I'm pretty tired as to not wanting to learn about T++ at this point.

Regarding the spacing, I have to disagree with the no spacing, over the few months of me translating this game, I've kinda grown fond of using normal spacing, so giving it no spacing looks weird to me now, I'll just stand by my choice on this one.

temp_name_again

Aug 26, 2022
I've known about this game for a while but just got around to wanting to try it. Figured I would just boot it up with an OCR and go, but was pleasantly surprised to see someone translating it (and creating a walkthrough)! Thank you Tabszoid. I take it you are very close to completing the translation?

Tabszoid

May 23, 2022
I've known about this game for a while but just got around to wanting to try it. Figured I would just boot it up with an OCR and go, but was pleasantly surprised to see someone translating it (and creating a walkthrough)! Thank you Tabszoid. I take it you are very close to completing the translation?
I'll be honest, the whole game's translation is basically done, but my perfectionist-ass can't allow this translation to be release with how much first time translation mistakes I made, so I decided to play the game again and review my translation from a player's perspective. So far, my translation improve a lot this way since I can actually structure the context of the dialogue better through gameplay.

I know I keep mentioning about improving, revising, polishing and whatnot. I just want my first translation to be special, you know? Plus, making a walkthrough took a lot of time and effort too.

All in all, the complete translation will definitely be something I'm proud of, and will make the reading experience better for everyone. I can promise you that! Just a few more days and It'll be done before you know it

temp_name_again

Aug 26, 2022
I'll be honest, the whole game's translation is basically done, but my perfectionist-ass can't allow this translation to be release with how much first time translation mistakes I made, so I decided to play the game again and review my translation from a player's perspective. So far, my translation improve a lot this way since I can actually structure the context of the dialogue better through gameplay.

I know I keep mentioning about improving, revising, polishing and whatnot. I just want my first translation to be special, you know? Plus, making a walkthrough took a lot of time and effort too.

All in all, the complete translation will definitely be something I'm proud of, and will make the reading experience better for everyone. I can promise you that! Just a few more days and It'll be done before you know it
Sounds good. The game looks good, so I definitely don't mind waiting slightly longer for a more perfect translation. Looking forward to it!

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote