• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Wolf RPG [transltion request] Anasteema's tea party

Gojii

Oct 29, 2019
Man really a bummer the dev dropped doing a TL. Did TL++ ever do a WolfRPG update? I havent used it in forever tbh.

Checked the dlsite link and there's a sale on the DLC for it (sadly thought it was the main game) right now too through the end of the year. Might not be too bad to grab it since theyve got a coupon for an extra 15% on everything rn on top of sales and grab the main thing later if you want. (dlsite going off with sales on various stuff into Feb holy shit).

shadowfoot

Nov 20, 2018
Does anyone know how to open .wolf files?
This creator programs games differently than what is standard.
T++ automatically opens the BasicData.wolf and MapData.wolf files.(Which is where wolf normally keeps the translatable files)
But I think we need access to the Text_Script.wolf file to translate anything.
Nothing that I translate in the BasicData.wolf or MapData.wolf shows up translated in-game.

TLDR;
We need to find a way to decrypt .wolf files, maybe possibly re-encrypt.
At least then MTL should be easy

Sklumpkin

Apr 21, 2020
Does anyone know how to open .wolf files?
This creator programs games differently than what is standard.
T++ automatically opens the BasicData.wolf and MapData.wolf files.(Which is where wolf normally keeps the translatable files)
But I think we need access to the Text_Script.wolf file to translate anything.
Nothing that I translate in the BasicData.wolf or MapData.wolf shows up translated in-game.

TLDR;
We need to find a way to decrypt .wolf files, maybe possibly re-encrypt.
At least then MTL should be easy
Ive been trying to get a MTL going the past couple days, and I've learned that if you inject the translation rather than creating a patch it automatically decripts the files and launches just fine so long as your translation doesn't break the game. The issue though, is that it seems like less than half of the game's dialogue is stored in the mapData and basicData files, and some of it is just scattered randomly through the commonData files. All the rest of the dialogue is in those txt files, and as far as I can tell the only way to translate the dialogue in them is by opening them in notepad+ and copy paste translating every piece of dialogue line by line so you don't accidentally break the code. I've already done this for the entire prologue, and the game is working fine, but this is my first time doing anything like this, so if anyone knows an easier way to translate these txt files I'm all ears. I'm bascically committed to doing the whole translation like this, but I'd be really happy if there was a better way lol.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason the official translation got canned, but I'm no expert.

shadowfoot

Nov 20, 2018
Ive been trying to get a MTL going the past couple days, and I've learned that if you inject the translation rather than creating a patch it automatically decripts the files and launches just fine so long as your translation doesn't break the game. The issue though, is that it seems like less than half of the game's dialogue is stored in the mapData and basicData files, and some of it is just scattered randomly through the commonData files. All the rest of the dialogue is in those txt files, and as far as I can tell the only way to translate the dialogue in them is by opening them in notepad+ and copy paste translating every piece of dialogue line by line so you don't accidentally break the code. I've already done this for the entire prologue, and the game is working fine, but this is my first time doing anything like this, so if anyone knows an easier way to translate these txt files I'm all ears. I'm bascically committed to doing the whole translation like this, but I'd be really happy if there was a better way lol.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason the official translation got canned, but I'm no expert.
I've been busy lately, so I've been messing with this in my spare time, but I did manage to decrypt the files too.
I also had part of the prologue translated but haven't worked out how to smoothly make the names work.(Did you figure that out?) I'm currently just photoshopping the tutorial pictures into English.
For me, nothing I translated in T++ actually showed up in-game, and changing BasicData.wolf at all wouldn't let me open the game, but I might try your method and see if that works.
The only easier way I can think of for the txt files probably doesn't exist yet.
T++ should get an update that adds a mode(Free text with regexp). but who knows when that will be done.

Sklumpkin

Apr 21, 2020
I've been busy lately, so I've been messing with this in my spare time, but I did manage to decrypt the files too.
I also had part of the prologue translated but haven't worked out how to smoothly make the names work.(Did you figure that out?) I'm currently just photoshopping the tutorial pictures into English.
For me, nothing I translated in T++ actually showed up in-game, and changing BasicData.wolf at all wouldn't let me open the game, but I might try your method and see if that works.
The only easier way I can think of for the txt files probably doesn't exist yet.
T++ should get an update that adds a mode(Free text with regexp). but who knows when that will be done.
With the way the text boxes are written, I'm not sure if changing the names would be possible without a ton of extra work. The first dialogue box in the prologue looks like this (with /'s added so the site doesn't think I'm pinging someone named mes):

/@/mes 少年 喋り1U
… Is this all for today?

The first word after the /@/mes is the characters name, and the second is their expression. Changing the name does change what it says on the text box, but the game also uses it to know which character portrait to put on the screen, so changing them at all causes the game to throw up an error, and play the scene without any character portraits. I think the only way to make it work would be to also change the names of the image files and the names in the code, which just sounds like a nightmare honestly.

Also when it comes to using Translator++, I was only able to get the game to run by blacklisting everything in the MapData, DataBase, and BasicData files that didn't look like dialogue, and then selecting those specific files and choosing to only inject those selected files. Doing anything else just caused the game to not launch. I'm not entirely sure why creating a patch doesn't seem to do anything at all, but it just doesn't I guess lol.

I did a lot of searching for easier methods of translating the txt's and came up with basically nothing, so I'm just sticking with the line by line copy-translate-paste method, which is taking forever, but it's doable. Thankfully I have plenty of free time for the foreseeable future, so if I keep up my pace of around 3 script folders per day, depending on their length, I should be able to get all the dialogue in the game done in a few weeks.

Edit: And one more thing, doing the injection broke a lot of the puzzle effect image names for me and I had to fix them by finding what they were called in the error message, and then replacing their names with the non-broken version that the error log gave me.

Last edited:

shadowfoot

Nov 20, 2018
Sklumpkin
hello
i dont know what are you guys talking here
please Do no Direct/Mention me..i got notification/alert
Your name is in a piece of code that we are working with, and that this developer uses a lot.
We didn't know someone had that name here.
We will try to refrain from accidentally calling you,
but if someone else talks about one of the other games by the same guy, it might happen again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gojii and bl0tak

shadowfoot

Nov 20, 2018
Sklumpkin

In the last 5 mins I figured out the name thing using a reference from a different game in the series.
This is from the first prologue file.
Prologue code.PNG

The only problem for me right now is in the mapdata files, but other than that, hopefully it'll stay consistent.

Last edited:

rayman2135

Jun 30, 2020
Sklumpkin

In the last 5 mins I figured out the name thing using a reference from a different game in the series.
This is from the first prologue file.
View attachment 1168022

The only problem for me right now is in the mapdata files, but other than that, hopefully it'll stay consistent.
Hey I took some of the photos from the game and translated them roughly but was that what your talking about map data?