4.20 star(s) 59 Votes

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
I was considering getting the version of patreon but it was out here before i could lol. Not to look gift horse in the mouth but ...

Reactions: rustyspoon

Lolichu

May 4, 2017
If you intend to do that it would make sense to name previous version as v0.09. Though my initial question stands, how complete is this one?
For versioning, the '.' does not represent a decimal place, but acts as a separator between versions. Typically it's 'major.minor.patch' versions (though this drops the 'patch' version), so 0.9 => 0.10 because it's the 10th minor version. A 1.0 version would be a major version increase, usually reserved for the initial full release of something, but doesn't mean they can't add more content/patches with a 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, etc.

I could go into more details why, but the simple explanation is because people don't know how many patches it takes to get to a finished product.

Reactions: bleachedturtle

bamachine

Nov 17, 2020
Azienda still loving the game. Quick question though, do the choices lead to different paths or just "see this scene" or "don't see this scene" plus a little post scene dialogue changes? In other words, in this update we had the "continue watching" choice, does that affect her future or just the next scene?

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Azienda still loving the game. Quick question though, do the choices lead to different paths or just "see this scene" or "don't see this scene" plus a little post scene dialogue changes? In other words, in this update we had the "continue watching" choice, does that affect her future or just the next scene?
For that particular choice, if you select "Continue watching", 2 numerical variables are incremented and another variable is set to "True". What impact that has on future releases remains to be seen.

So I can't definitively answer your question, but I don't think the developer went to that trouble just for grins.

However, so far, choices have not made a hell of a lot of practical difference, other than immediate circumstances and some dialog differences in the future. But, it is still very early in the game. I expect consequences from at least some of the choices in the future.

Azienda

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Hey everyone,

We thought long and hard about posting this message, but after looking at the way things have developed since the new year and talking to other devs who are having similar experiences, we decided we wanted to say something.

We get that this is a pirate website and, of course, you guys want to get your hands on the latest release of the game as soon as you can. We are glad you guys are so excited about our content that you will pester people to leak the update and hail them as heroes when they do.

I was considering getting the version of patreon but it was out here before i could lol. Not to look gift horse in the mouth but ...
However, this is the reality that it creates. We feel it is probably emblematic of the experience a fair number of you have and we don’t blame you, really. As much as we want your support, it’s hard to argue with free.

So, as a result, these early leaks are incredibly damaging to our financial well-being. Since we first started releasing Turning the Page, there have been exactly two months where our Patreon pledges have shrunk. Those are the exact two months where the update got leaked on this site the day it came out.

We are getting to the point in our development where we would like to start contracting others to help make improvements to our game in a variety of areas, but when all the effort and money we put into the update gets leaked on the first day and our numbers decrease, it is very discouraging to see.

Now, if we were making enough money to feed and house ourselves already, that would still be annoying, of course. However, considering our current financial situation, these leaks are more than an annoyance. They scare us.

From the beginning we have tried to make things accessible to our non-patron fans by making all the content free after some time, with none kept behind a paywall. We want to continue this and continue making games for all of you well into the future. However, if we never progress beyond this state of financial precarity, then we will have to stop them altogether. I don’t think any of us want that, but it is a matter of practicality.

So, if you like the game, and want to see more of our work, please consider supporting us in whatever way you can. Whether that be reviewing the game here or on itch, recommending it to others, becoming a patron or simply not begging for a leak, particularly right after release. It’s hard to describe how much all of that matters and how much we appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and have a good day,

Azienda

Jun 19, 2022
Hey everyone,

We thought long and hard about posting this message, but after looking at the way things have developed since the new year and talking to other devs who are having similar experiences, we decided we wanted to say something.

We get that this is a pirate website and, of course, you guys want to get your hands on the latest release of the game as soon as you can. We are glad you guys are so excited about our content that you will pester people to leak the update and hail them as heroes when they do.

However, this is the reality that it creates. We feel it is probably emblematic of the experience a fair number of you have and we don’t blame you, really. As much as we want your support, it’s hard to argue with free.

So, as a result, these early leaks are incredibly damaging to our financial well-being. Since we first started releasing Turning the Page, there have been exactly two months where our Patreon pledges have shrunk. Those are the exact two months where the update got leaked on this site the day it came out.

We are getting to the point in our development where we would like to start contracting others to help make improvements to our game in a variety of areas, but when all the effort and money we put into the update gets leaked on the first day and our numbers decrease, it is very discouraging to see.

Now, if we were making enough money to feed and house ourselves already, that would still be annoying, of course. However, considering our current financial situation, these leaks are more than an annoyance. They scare us.

From the beginning we have tried to make things accessible to our non-patron fans by making all the content free after some time, with none kept behind a paywall. We want to continue this and continue making games for all of you well into the future. However, if we never progress beyond this state of financial precarity, then we will have to stop them altogether. I don’t think any of us want that, but it is a matter of practicality.

So, if you like the game, and want to see more of our work, please consider supporting us in whatever way you can. Whether that be reviewing the game here or on itch, recommending it to others, becoming a patron or simply not begging for a leak, particularly right after release. It’s hard to describe how much all of that matters and how much we appreciate it.

Azienda
Relatively new to this site and this was something I wondered about since the beginning. Like, these are threads started by/where the developers of the game could read and interact with fans, but there were also people constantly leaking the latest versions without the creators saying anything about it? Always was weird to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Toushiro

Yukariin

Oct 16, 2020
from the start of the post i was already waiting for the message of "we're unfortunately abandoning this project", seen too many of these already. thankfully it was something else.

Adultress

May 20, 2021
It's not just that the leaked version is free; when the dev tells you that the new update is going to be much smaller than usual, it's hard to justify paying so much (even if it's for perfectly understandable reasons). I can't speak for anyone else, but I looked at what people had said about 0.10 and decided I'd rather wait a month and play 1½ updates at once.

MasksDude

Aug 6, 2021
I kinda feel like the new hero or "leaker" leaked it early because it wasn't a big update it was more of a heads up stuff update that's why he just had to LMAO

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
Hey everyone,

Azienda
It is nice to see a dev speak up for themselves.

Few bits of advise:
Create schedule for your releases and stick to it. It is best to release same day every month, that way people will easily know when is next version coming up rather than learning about the release from here.
If that is not possible then announce your next release like week earlier on your patreon with date and possibly hour when patch is being released - easily visible to anyone visiting. Make sure you release it on time.

You may be shooting yourself in the foot with early releases - if people see the patch here before they expect it to be out....

Try to not release on same day as other similar projects.

Have website that links to patreon to access download - that way leaking is not as simple as sharing a link and for many leakers having to upload the game is too much work.

Reactions: RandomLeviathan

Laura2022

Dec 25, 2021
Not everyone can afford to support your development, nor does everyone care to. It's the internet, if leakers want to leak, well, not much you can do. You could register copyrights and threaten DMCAs, but that will simply drive people to underground communities where - you guessed it - they'll continue doing the same thing as before. However on a more positive note, many "pirates" do choose to support the game devs in the end. Also as a seasonal note, in the summer months Patreon donations may dry up as people are preoccupied with vacationing, the beach, BBQs, and just enjoying the wonderful weather. Some take their kids with them on trips, visit cousins, etc. Basically you should see an uptick after August, but until then, it is what it is.

In short, you can forcefully try to stop piracy, or gently plead, but in the end everyone will do what THEY want, given their financial circumstances and personal wishes.

Onemeeh

Feb 27, 2021
It is nice to see a dev speak up for themselves.

Few bits of advise:
Create schedule for your releases and stick to it. It is best to release same day every month, that way people will easily know when is next version coming up rather than learning about the release from here.
If that is not possible then announce your next release like week earlier on your patreon with date and possibly hour when patch is being released - easily visible to anyone visiting. Make sure you release it on time.

You may be shooting yourself in the foot with early releases - if people see the patch here before they expect it to be out....

Try to not release on same day as other similar projects.

Have website that links to patreon to access download - that way leaking is not as simple as sharing a link and for many leakers having to upload the game is too much work.
they pretty much already do that though. for top patreons get it on the 20th other get it on 23, next tier at 27. Non paying get 20th the following month.

Mar 27, 2022
Not a huge fan of this strategy, and it might not transfer well with the release schedule. But Manitu Games, the people behind Game of Whores have a policy where if there isn't a leak for a week after release then they'll poll something extra to add. Granted they do releases many months apart so they have to really maximize the patron gain when they release. At the end of the day it comes down to the carrot or the stick. A lot of us probably wouldn't complain (too much) if it takes longer to leak (or public release) but once its out there its out there. Waiting for the public release when there is a leak is at most a symbolic gesture. So you really have to appeal to the would be leakers, make it worth their while to wait.

Aug 16, 2018

Second this - i.e., adding roadblocks to easily sharing new version. IIRC ever since Hangover Cat from "A Promise Best Left Unkept" started sharing new version via their own website (with patreon login), there's been a decent amount of gap between patreon release & F95zone availability.

I also wonder if it would be possible to have something similar to but checks if they are a patreon subscriber.

4.20 star(s) 59 Votes