uncaught exception occurred

dospara98

Nov 2, 2020
I keep getting these errors in different games, and I'm wondering how to fix them. If anyone has any advice on what to look for it would be helpful. I would hate to bug someone every time iy happens. Well here is the error message. Any help would be great.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 111, in _window_auto_callback
_window_hide(auto=True)
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 101, in _window_hide
renpy.with_statement(trans)
File "game/phone.rpy", line 108, in execute
File "game/phone.rpy", line 116, in execute
File "game/phone.rpy", line 116, in keywords
File "game/phone.rpy", line 117, in keywords
File "game/phone.rpy", line 117, in <module>
AttributeError: 'contacts' object has no attribute 'first'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "chapter-03.rpyc", line 1362, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1646, in execute
statement_name("menu")
File "renpy/ast.py", line 46, in statement_name
i(name)
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 111, in _window_auto_callback
_window_hide(auto=True)
File "renpy/common/000window.rpy", line 101, in _window_hide
renpy.with_statement(trans)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1684, in with_statement
return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2762, in do_with
clear=clear)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3325, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3737, in interact_core
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 568, in visit_all
d.visit_all(callback, seen)
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 436, in visit_all
callback(self)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3737, in <lambda>
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 447, in per_interact
self.update()
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 637, in update
self.screen.function(**self.scope)
File "game/phone.rpy", line 116, in execute
File "game/phone.rpy", line 116, in keywords
File "game/phone.rpy", line 117, in keywords
File "game/phone.rpy", line 117, in <module>
AttributeError: 'contacts' object has no attribute 'first'

Windows-10-10.0.22621
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Mastering The Pink Box 0.08
Mon Oct 21 22:01:54 2024

Edit update

I found in the game thread that others has mentioned problems like mine. Someone posted their ‘script’ file to try out. So I replaced my script file with theirs and it worked fine. I’ll have to go back to some other games I had problems with and see if I can find a solution. Thanks for your help all.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
if you have an intel 13900k cpu that's probably the cause. [...]
For once, probably not that.

This time it's clearly custom objects from the game itself, that are in cause. Probably a game mechanism update in a not compatible way, what force to restart the game. Despite someone's efforts, it's something that still happen a bit too often. Something that seem confirmed by a quick search on the game thread.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
For once, probably not that.

This time it's clearly custom objects from the game itself, that are in cause. Probably a game mechanism update in a not compatible way, what force to restart the game. Despite someone's efforts, it's something that still happen a bit too often. Something that seem confirmed by a quick search on the game thread.
maybe but he said different games. could be different causes also i guess

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
maybe but he said different games. could be different causes also i guess
Well, Ren'Py is easy to use, what also mean that people with no clue regarding what they are doing can use it... While I'm relatively selective in games I play, only following a small part of the annual creation, I still see this kind of errors once in a while, sometimes coming from devs that shouldn't have done them.

After all, uncaught exceptions are nothing more than this, something unexpected that happened. Sometimes it's really unexpected and come from the core engine, but 99% of the time it's just an error in the game itself.
It suffice of a typo when you wrote a variable name, and boom. So, when the game is more complex, the number of possible causes just grow. And if you don't have the time to test all the variations of all the scenes, or forgot that you added a variable but where distracted and haven't declared it, it will appear when you release the update.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Well, Ren'Py is easy to use, what also mean that people with no clue regarding what they are doing can use it... While I'm relatively selective in games I play, only following a small part of the annual creation, I still see this kind of errors once in a while, sometimes coming from devs that shouldn't have done them.

After all, uncaught exceptions are nothing more than this, something unexpected that happened. Sometimes it's really unexpected and come from the core engine, but 99% of the time it's just an error in the game itself.
It suffice of a typo when you wrote a variable name, and boom. So, when the game is more complex, the number of possible causes just grow. And if you don't have the time to test all the variations of all the scenes, or forgot that you added a variable but where distracted and haven't declared it, it will appear when you release the update.
sure, yeah, but if it was the game, i expected more bug reports in the game thread. i didn't find any for the current version of the game. on the other hand, the fact that the same error has been reported for earlier versions makes me think you may be right

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
sure, yeah, but if it was the game, i expected more bug reports in the game thread. i didn't find any for the current version of the game. on the other hand, the fact that the same error has been reported for earlier versions makes me think you may be right
Seems like it is a recurring problem for other users in the game thread, according to the fact that another Zone user had posted a script to fix this uncaught exception issue in the game thread as the OP had alluded to when they had updated their post.