Ren'Py Under Your Spell [v0.1.1b] [Shady Characters]

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
As for meeting the girls, you do need to do their preferred activities and have their preferred stats for a chance to meet them.
Without knowing the girls or what their preferred stats are, how are we meant to just randomly attend every class and raise every stat for a chance to meet them??

Reactions: Ragnar

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
Without knowing the girls or what their preferred stats are, how are we meant to just randomly attend every class and raise every stat for a chance to meet them??
The idea is that you go through the plot and discover their preferences as you train naturally. There will also be additional hints added into the game a bit later

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Chrisdarock19

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
As for meeting the girls, you do need to do their preferred activities and have their preferred stats for a chance to meet them. You don't need to grind, as much as you need to know when and where to look for them.
Ah, yes, the ol' hide and seek we all love from sandboxes :HideThePain:
Idk but if I can't even get to know the girls during the first 5 minutes of gameplay I lost interest really fast.
Think about making a railroaded general introduction for the main characters and game mechanics.

gallows226

Jan 16, 2023
Ah, yes, the ol' hide and seek we all love from sandboxes :HideThePain:
Idk but if I can't even get to know the girls during the first 5 minutes of gameplay I lost interest really fast.
Think about making a railroaded general introduction for the main characters and game mechanics.
I do agree it’s better to have the initial introduction to each girl be railroaded. This in an of itself is a valuable hint for the players as it’ll give them a vibe of what these girls are into.

but regardless I don’t hate having to explore for the girls. It’s more work but I expect that in a trainer game

Reactions: Gabaw

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
I do agree it’s better to have the initial introduction to each girl be railroaded. This in an of itself is a valuable hint for the players as it’ll give them a vibe of what these girls are into.

but regardless I don’t hate having to explore for the girls. It’s more work but I expect that in a trainer game
Where is the Trainer tag?

gallows226

Jan 16, 2023
Where is the Trainer tag?
I just used the word trainer because we’re training our stats to be better as the gameplay loop. If that’s a genre of gaming idk what the criteria is for that to qualify for a tag for it or not

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024

Two girls per house are already introduced automatically in an event. It has no artworks for now, so it isn't very clear. I hope it will get more clear with artworks. And I am currently thinking on ways to introduce others organically too

Reactions: gallows226

hoshimota

Sep 18, 2023
Between the removal of rollback and save, I don't understand why you would disable basic Renpy functions. It's quite unplayable like this.
In my experience, a lot of bugs occur in RenPy games when you rollback (the more complicated ones that go beyond typical kinetic VN level, and actually have a lot of code going on behind the scenes.) Assuming by rollback we are talking about when you scroll the mouse up to move backwards through content to change your mind / redo something you recently did like make a different choice. Desert Stalker used to crash like a mofo (unhandled exception errors) when I tried to rollback for example.

And between that and the saving in a specific location, it just sounds like he wants you to actually play the game old school style, not just tie it to a chair and beat it mercilessly to give you all of it's content in a single speedrun.

Reactions: Shady Character 1

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
In my experience, a lot of bugs occur in RenPy games when you rollback (the more complicated ones that go beyond typical kinetic VN level, and actually have a lot of code going on behind the scenes.) Assuming by rollback we are talking about when you scroll the mouse up to move backwards through content to change your mind / redo something you recently did like make a different choice. Desert Stalker used to crash like a mofo (unhandled exception errors) when I tried to rollback for example.

And between that and the saving in a specific location, it just sounds like he wants you to actually play the game old school style, not just tie it to a chair and beat it mercilessly to give you all of it's content in a single speedrun.
One of the benefits of saving at specific places is knowing what's happening at that time. If every save looks the same, it's very difficult to remember what happened. This will get much worse as the game goes on when there are more updates and time between updates. When the story starts to branch and you go on different routes, when the next update arrives after a few weeks or months, can you say you'll remember what you've done up until then, with no visual cues?

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
Between the removal of rollback and save, I don't understand why you would disable basic Renpy functions. It's quite unplayable like this.
Due to complexity of the code, rollback crashes the game constantly. This isn't a linear visual novel, so stopping or resuming rollback at a wrong moment can just crash the game or mess up the triggers.
I didn't choose Ren'Py for its rollback functionality, so just disabling it when it started to cause too much trouble was a nobrainer.

One of the benefits of saving at specific places is knowing what's happening at that time. If every save looks the same, it's very difficult to remember what happened. This will get much worse as the game goes on when there are more updates and time between updates. When the story starts to branch and you go on different routes, when the next update arrives after a few weeks or months, can you say you'll remember what you've done up until then, with no visual cues?
That's why I added a function to name your saves, in case you need to discern between them.

gallows226

Jan 16, 2023
Never trust a grin that cocky that says it's figured out old magic. It will always backfire somehow.
Honestly the kind of monkey paw deal I wouldn’t mind. Nothing would give me the confidence to ask out women quite like the threat of an eternal loneliness curse if I don’t.

3.30 star(s) 3 Votes