Ren'Py Abandoned Unforeseen Ascent: Origin [Alpha 1.0a] [Archronique]

ShadrachVS

Jun 13, 2017
Well that would be the case if there where not games like Rance, especially Sengoku Rance, and Kamidori Alchemy Meister, which both are on the "older" side. They have both the VN and the "Sandbox" elements combined with them. At least that is how I see it and it made them both not bad games. A bit more work than just klick, decide and done, but fun. So if people play games from the Japanese Eroge Departement they should at least know of the existence of these games.

But I noticed something, most people tend to just want to fap without doing anything, aside from a few choices that leads them to what they want. At least that is how I see it. Which is sad, since even lewd games should have more than just click, fap and done to them. Otherwise it would all become the same over time and get boring. Its just like with the Trope "living with mother, older and younger sister" that is already on the boring side by now
I say play how you want to play, no shame in being in it for a quick bit of enjoyment. As for Eroge I was more speaking about the stuff that came out in DOS, as well as those that followed those formulas; which in my experience was the majority of eroge, at least ten years ago.

ShadrachVS

Jun 13, 2017
Yep pretty much this (however I didn't understand the last sentence and the spoiler :( ).
It's a regional thing, Tea as the British person would enjoy (Hot, usually in small containers) is a vastly different experience in the Southern States of the US (Iced Tea is our preference, containers tend to be larger, often sweetened to the point of being too darned sweet). I was making a joke that if you started using too many Brit colloquialisms, that you may need to run them by someone from the US to translate them into something we would understand more easily.

Reactions: Archronique

Darkhound

Sep 2, 2017
I say play how you want to play, no shame in being in it for a quick bit of enjoyment. As for Eroge I was more speaking about the stuff that came out in DOS, as well as those that followed those formulas; which in my experience was the majority of eroge, at least ten years ago.
I don't say anything against it, sometimes I prefer it that way too. Though if you are speaking from DOS and the first windows platforms I could recount Knights of Xentar (I played it back in 1999) which had a semi-sandbox feeling, though you could describe it as side-quests/free roaming too. Would have to replay it though to see if I remember correctly. I still remember as young boy seeing it for sale on Pearl, back then when a 56k modem was the norm :D And I still remember the 3-4 hours until I had downloaded it. But you are right, the majority was just the click and decide and I won't deny that.

Just wanted to clarify, I don't want to stray more apart from this thread.

Reactions: ShadrachVS

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
Unusual playing a linear sandbox. Wouldn't it be easy to just make it a vn?
It's not a linear sandbox (I stated this on my Patreon Page in the Gameplay section), the beggining was of course mounted on rail but only because it's an introduction. The next update will take advantage of the sandbox mechanism.

TiffanyMonroe

Forum Fanatic
May 29, 2018
It's not a linear sandbox (I stated this on my Patreon Page in the Gameplay section), the beggining was of course mounted on rail but only because it's an introduction. The next update will take advantage of the sandbox mechanism.
Yeah, I found out after playing more. I deleted the comment.

Jun 13, 2018
The game started up in french which was a surprise and took me a minute to figure out why I wasn't seeing words I recognized. Kind of hating the auto forward here. Not talking about the one you can set but the one like when the MC bumped into that woman at the market. The text went by so fast I really didn't have much time to see it and that wasn't the only time text went so fast I had to scroll back. The English is kind of questionable, after all at one point when the MC woke up in the park basically said "Arf, fell asleep again". The game also just drops you in without telling you what you need to do at the start. When I first got to the MC's place I thought the notepad in the top left corner would tell me where to go.

Little work to be done, nothing too major as it's just tiny things (not trying to nitpick or anything). The characters do look better then those I've seen in some games and the little bit of the story I've seen so far does have my interest. Should be interesting seeing where this game goes in the future.

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
The game started up in french which was a surprise and took me a minute to figure out why I wasn't seeing words I recognized.
Yup the main language is French, that's why I made the splashscreen to inform that there is an english version in the options, since preferences = préférences in french I thought it would be good enough.
The next update will contains an interactive splashscreen to let you choose the language before the main menu show up. (y)

The English is kind of questionable, after all at one point when the MC woke up in the park basically said "Arf, fell asleep again".
Can you explain the issue here please? I would like to correct the errors but telling me where there are is not enough to allow me to correct them since there are not careless mistakes but the limits of my own english combined with some softwares :confused:

The game also just drops you in without telling you what you need to do at the start. When I first got to the MC's place I thought the notepad in the top left corner would tell me where to go.
The quest mechanic you are talking about will be added in the next update. I will also add a screenshot tutorial to explain the hud at the beginning.

Thanks for your feedback and don't worry, constructive criticisms are exactly what I ask!

Jun 13, 2018
Yup the main language is French, that's why I made the splashscreen to inform that there is an english version in the options, since preferences = préférences in french I thought it would be good enough.
The next update will contains an interactive splashscreen to let you choose the language before the main menu show up. (y)

Can you explain the issue here please? I would like to correct the errors but telling me where there are is not enough to allow me to correct them since there are not careless mistakes but the limits of my own english combined with some softwares :confused:

The quest mechanic you are talking about will be added in the next update. I will also add a screenshot tutorial to explain the hud at the beginning.

Thanks for your feedback and don't worry, constructive criticisms are exactly what I ask!
The issue regarding the English is that some things just don't seem to be translating well. Why is it arf when it could be something more like oh or damn. Arf is the sound a dog makes so to see the MC saying it from time to time makes one question if he spent most of his time around dogs over humans. Also I noticed that Alice seems to use a lot of French words in the English version. I don't recall anything in the start of the story that tells us where we are in the game world so for all I know it could be somewhere French Now while I do know some French I sadly don't know enough to work out certain things she saids. Also I believe there's one point in her reunion with MC where she seems to have a French word and English word mashed up together but I could be remembering wrong.

All in all it's just little details that throw off the immersion into the story. Like I said before it's not that big a deal, just something I thought I should throw out there. If you are struggling with English you might want to see about finding maybe a friend or someone who can help you out with the translation.

Reactions: Archronique

ShadrachVS

Jun 13, 2017
The issue regarding the English is that some things just don't seem to be translating well. Why is it arf when it could be something more like oh or damn. Arf is the sound a dog makes so to see the MC saying it from time to time makes one question if he spent most of his time around dogs over humans. Also I noticed that Alice seems to use a lot of French words in the English version. I don't recall anything in the start of the story that tells us where we are in the game world so for all I know it could be somewhere French Now while I do know some French I sadly don't know enough to work out certain things she saids. Also I believe there's one point in her reunion with MC where she seems to have a French word and English word mashed up together but I could be remembering wrong.

All in all it's just little details that throw off the immersion into the story. Like I said before it's not that big a deal, just something I thought I should throw out there. If you are struggling with English you might want to see about finding maybe a friend or someone who can help you out with the translation.
Yeah, I don't know if he is using a machine translation or not; I don't recall the specific phrases or moments, but there were some that were poorly organised or that felt weird for a native English speaker. I chalk it up to being a work in progress and don't worry about it too much, but I can see how that is an issue for immersion.
Oof, Auch, Doh, Ugh, Gah, Grr - all would work potentially for that line, though to me it might fit better for the MC to say "Huh... Oh I fell asleep..." and then continue, but it all depends on what the writer is trying to convey. Does the MC often fall asleep sitting on that park bench, or in general? It seems so.

Reactions: darkoraclegirl

Deleted member 15555

Harem Lover
Donor
Apr 25, 2017
i fucking love alice, all of her xD
on a side note i liked the game a lot and the renders are pretty good, though hate fucking free roams ( thats always a kill joy unless is like Icstor milfy city, that game have proper free roam, hope you can make it more easy in the future like coloring where you have to go to see events etc)

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
i fucking love alice, all of her xD
on a side note i liked the game a lot and the renders are pretty good, though hate fucking free roams ( thats always a kill joy unless is like Icstor milfy city, that game have proper free roam, hope you can make it more easy in the future like coloring where you have to go to see events etc)
Thanks to give her some love!
Don't worry about free roams problems, I make them a priority. I think I'm gonna make a thread in the general section to help me avoid some mistakes.

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
So, it's only one week after the first release but here are some previews of what I'm working on.

To begin, I would like to say that I heard you! The next update will contain a "quest tracking" system so you will never be lost anymore :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You will also be able to play with 2 mechanics I think you gonna love:

The first one is the wardrobe, I'll let you imagine what will be in the variant and add-on tab :sneaky::

The second one is your smartphone (in the game eh, not IRL).
What if you could ask mmh, let's say... a sexy SMS?

Okay, I already said too much, I'll let you imagine the rest alone. :p

Unexpected Error

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Donor
Oct 17, 2018
Story looks interesting, but the grind through the days are boring, so I just quit at the middle of the second week.

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
Story looks interesting, but the grind through the days are boring, so I just quit at the middle of the second week.
You normally don't need to "grind" more than 3 days/week 2 times (40/120 quota = 50$) to have enough money to reach the current end (which requieres 250$ knowing that you already start with 150$).

The next update will make the student routine more enjoyable.

matsomatso

Jul 29, 2019
It's unusually rare that I pay any attention to a 0.1 Beta version of a game/VN (and even more rare for me to post a comment about one). I don't specifically remember what compelled me to download and play "Unforeseen Ascent", but it was most likely the absence of grotesquely gargantuan breasts in the banner and preview pics.

"Alice" is by far, the most interesting character to me. I've always enjoyed "coming of age" stories. (Cue the ignorant who never bothered to learn the actual definition of "pedophile", and believe it has something to do with "age"). Stories about a pubescent girl's sexual awakening have always fascinated me (probably because I never had/will have an opportunity to directly participate).

I don't really have an original critique for you. I would only reiterate that you seek out a bilingual native speaker of (American) English to make the phrases sound more naturally conversational. (One example is with the conversation following Alice crashing into MC on her skateboard: MC says something about, " . . . you skipped a few steps". I initially assumed that meant she graduated from high school early (skipped a few school years), and was entering college as a 15 or 16 year old. Later, I wondered if MC meant that she had "skipped a few details" about why she was attending the same college as he.

My only disappointment is with so little story content during the time MC and Alice were in the orphanage. These were the formative years for both characters. I'm interested in more detail about how they came to be there, how their "soul-sibling" relationship developed, interactions with the various adults, etc. Perhaps you'll consider adding some of that type of content through flashbacks in future updates.

All in all, a very respectable effort. Thanks for the early offering. I hope there are many people with means who will support you.

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
I don't specifically remember what compelled me to download and play "Unforeseen Ascent", but it was most likely the absence of grotesquely gargantuan breasts in the banner and preview pics.
Haha, glad to see that I'm not the only one having an overdose of bimbos.

I don't really have an original critique for you. I would only reiterate that you seek out a bilingual native speaker of (American) English to make the phrases sound more naturally conversational. (One example is with the conversation following Alice crashing into MC on her skateboard: MC says something about, " . . . you skipped a few steps". I initially assumed that meant she graduated from high school early (skipped a few school years), and was entering college as a 15 or 16 year old. Later, I wondered if MC meant that she had "skipped a few details" about why she was attending the same college as he.
You're right, "skipped a few details" is more accurate, I will do what is necessary to improve the translation for the next updates.

My only disappointment is with so little story content during the time MC and Alice were in the orphanage. These were the formative years for both characters. I'm interested in more detail about how they came to be there, how their "soul-sibling" relationship developed, interactions with the various adults, etc. Perhaps you'll consider adding some of that type of content through flashbacks in future updates.
Absolutely ! That's the kind of thing that is planned.
One of the specificities of Alice's development is that unlike other girls where you (the player) know as much as MC, here MC already know almost everything about Alice so one of the tasks you will have is to explore their past to understand them.
MC and Alice will sometime act in a weird way and you're going to wonder "Why???" (like MC in the last Alice's event), the answer will not necessarily be close to the question nor easy to obtain, but everything will make sense in the end.

BTW I really like "soul-sibling relationship", that's exactly the expression I was looking for !

All in all, a very respectable effort. Thanks for the early offering. I hope there are many people with means who will support you.
Thank you! :D

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018

Alpha 1.1 Preview, some features to show

Hi,
Still working on the next release, everything is going well !
I just wanted to tease some features I think you're going to love so let's see :

Since the game will become more and more complex, you risk losing yourself and not knowing what to do. To avoid that, the game will contain from now on a quest log ! The goal isn't spoil you (the walkthrough is here for that) but help you remember important dialogues that you must not forget.

1567668021610.png

Now, 2 mechanics you will be able to play with, the first is the wardrobe, I'll let you imagine what will be in the variant and add-on tab ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°):

1567668063374.png
1567668088181.png
1567668102196.png

The second is your smartphone (in the game eh), what if you could ask mmh, let's say... a sexy SMS?

1567668206785.png
1567668222180.png

...Well, I guess you'll have to convince her first.

Voilà voilà, see you soon !

ive_got-problems

Mar 21, 2018
I feel like an idiot, but I seriously can't figure out how to sleep in this game lol. I just got told I need to study to make money, advanced through the day, and now it's night and I can't figure out anything to do. The dev notes said to visit each girls room, but I don't have any girls rooms. There's only one room in my apartment as far as I can tell, and I don't even know where he sleeps lol. Obviously I'm the only one who can't figure this out since I couldn't find any other people with this issue.

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like an idiot, but I seriously can't figure out how to sleep in this game lol. I just got told I need to study to make money, advanced through the day, and now it's night and I can't figure out anything to do. The dev notes said to visit each girls room, but I don't have any girls rooms. There's only one room in my apartment as far as I can tell, and I don't even know where he sleeps lol. Obviously I'm the only one who can't figure this out since I couldn't find any other people with this issue.
Click on the "action movie", that's here you can see all available actions in a location.
You're not the first person having a problem with this, that's why I polished the UI for the next update,

UI user friendly.png

But now that we talk about it, since the next update is in one month (two for non-patrons) and since it will not be the last time I hear about this problem, I'm gonna make a little update of the current release with the new UI and the quest log. :)

Reactions: ive_got-problems