Unity is merging with ironSource a know malware provider

Will you still trust new unity installs going forward?

• Total voters

jkj54

Jan 15, 2020
Heads up for all game creators unity will be providing monetization and malware going forward.

jkj54

Jan 15, 2020
What's a life without a little malware eh?
i have been staying far away from these type of products valorant recently with its 24/7 voice monitoring was bad enough now i half to watch out for unity versions.

This might kill office party hopfully house party stays on old engine version if not then fuck i wont be able to play it anymore. I have alot of unity games so this was horrible news for me.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
i have been staying far away from these type of products valorant recently with its 24/7 voice monitoring was bad enough now i half to watch out for unity versions.

This might kill office party hopfully house party stays on old engine version if not then fuck i wont be able to play it anymore. I have alot of unity games so this was horrible news for me.
I mean, jokes aside it is understandable. I get where you're coming from, realistically no one want's to deal with shit like this and why would they or should they? It is bad enough to have the knowledge that some fucking known company is giving you malware to begin with, just down right preposterous.

jkj54

Jan 15, 2020
I mean, jokes aside it is understandable. I get where you're coming from, realistically no one want's to deal with shit like this and why would they or should they? It is bad enough to have the knowledge that some fucking known company is giving you malware to begin with, just down right preposterous.

I am old enough to remember securrom had to toss a whole drive out over that

So this is bring back bad days

Though we have denuvo out there another thing i always avoid

yuyutsu

Mar 31, 2019
Ah shit, I voted wrong. Wish I could revert it. Anyway

Unity's stocks have been plummeting already, it is lower than their IPO currently. This decision might end up being their make it or break it.

gingisep

Aug 6, 2020
I'm a bit sad most developers fell down for the "small sparks" Unity was offering, invested hours and hours of training, assets and purchased, to be strangled in something that was unreliable from the very beginning (referring to their business model).

Reactions: jkj54

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
a lot game on here will vanish from because of unity decision to use ironSource
and unity and rpg maker just made deal with next version of rpg and unity called RPG Maker Unite
I wonder if RPG Maker will walk away from unity and cancel RPG Maker Unite if unity going to use ironSource

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
Yeah, android user here. Not a lot on offer for us either compared to some other platforms, but it does mean I'll need to stop paying attention to a few games now. Like Dr.Vibes. :confused:

Reactions: riktor

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
they'll wait for the dust to settle, people just want to play games, will click 'yes' without reading T&C, will install the worst crapware available.
No i mean you need to buy that ENGINE first. And then make a game in it as well.
And no developer will be touching that now with a 20 meter pole. :ROFLMAO::coffee:
Devs will simply be using already existing rpgmaker engines.

gingisep

Aug 6, 2020
No i mean you need to buy that ENGINE first. And then make a game in it as well.
And no developer will be touching that now with a 20 meter pole. :ROFLMAO::coffee:
Devs will simply be using already existing rpgmaker engines.
I am afraid that does apply to software developers too, expecially for game developers that's a group composed of many beginners.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
As I have already said in @VoidTraveler 's comment in his profile, do not fall for spooky rumors.
Any dev using Unity for their games can tell that Unity is literally a blank canvas when a new project is made, it does not even contain a renderer, or post processing. Literally nothing, until you start to import all the things you need as it is based on packages, that includes analytics and monetization related stuff (Prior to their acquisition), and the latter is basically used only for Mobile Games. People would rage to see ads in their PC games, and those are not allowed for adult games anyways.

No, the games made in Unity will not suddenly turn into malwares.
Many AAA companies use Unity, and even if they went mad and want to destroy their Game Engine, updates for the Engine are never automatic or mandatory, in fact... For my current project, I am still using 2019.4.30f1.
Even in the impossible worst case scenarios, you could still use an older version of Unity just fine.

That being said, these are still bad news.
Not for the players playing games, they should not care at all. Devs using Unity should be pissed off because while Unreal gives away hundred of dollars worth of assets every month, acquires many useful tools for their game devs, creates full fledged and useful systems, and so on... Unity does nothing of that: The most we get is half broken preview features, bundles, and those stupid acquisitions which are useless for Game Devs, but only useful for their pockets (Although that last acquisition was so dumb since they are getting bad press everywhere, so ultimately they hurt their own pockets as well).
Worse yet, the truly bad news were during their previous lay offs, since they killed: which would have been a small treasure for devs. The only one we would have gotten from them x).

So, in a way... Those rumors might push future devs towards better alternatives, which is good.
On the other hand, it is also pushing the false stigma that Unity games = bad.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Any code with the right knowledge can be altered.
Fact is, unity developers themselves decided to ally with a known malware spreader.
There is no telling what will happen now with this engine, so again, avoid like plague.