Unity is merging with ironSource a know malware provider

Will you still trust new unity installs going forward?

• Total voters

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Took time to understand it: they're not a solution, just a deterrent.
Because it's all that can be done, trying to deter them enough. Exactly like with software.

Ransomware would not have spiked in attacks if everyone had made backups.
It's a bit more complicated. When you're a big company, you'll have a dozen of thousand computers to firstly isolate, then clean-up and reinstall. And obviously each cleaned up computer have to be kept far from the still compromised one, else they'll be compromised again. Even with a good IT team, you'll need a full week, if not more.

Well, in case of this specific company, there are sources that does not sustain this line of press. (Meaning: they were expecting it to work this way and hoped not get caught).
And sources that say the opposite, while neither ones, nor the others, can be blindly trusted. There's billions in play here, so it's in the interest of any competitors, and so their friends/investors, to say that ironSource did it intentionally. And in the interest of ironSource, and their friends/investors, to say the opposite.
They knew they were working with fire, expecting a borderline technology to do marvels. That is sure. But did they really expected people to abuse it or not, we will probably never know for sure.

One can build an artisanal mortar-like technology to quickly spread seeds on a devastated land ; after a forest fire by example. It would works. A small explosive charge that explode at a given height, and the seeds are spread faster than humans could manually do. But well, one can then replace the seeds by nails and have a marvelous shrapnel engine. [Yeah, this is already possible, it's just an example]
The inventor can't really be blamed, but isn't innocent either ; he should have wondered that this was a possibility and added some securities to avoid it. I guess that ironSource is in this exact position.

Reactions: LS47 and gingisep

F1forhalp

SOTD: Victor Jara - pimiento
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
late to the thing, well, my standard is to throw each and any game into sandbox no matter the engine it runs on. if it doesn't like it, i can always check why: sandbox logs. if it doesn't run because it can't do this thing or that outside the box, it's a instant drop, never to look back. boxed games can't access network, and can't do a lot of other things, set so by default. closing the box wipes RAM and a certain HD section, by default, no questions asked.