Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.3] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

shokoloko

Jul 20, 2023
I have been using URM for a while now in multiple games. So far, I haven't encountered any issues and it's been useful to me.

However, I would like to suggest a QoL change: having the "Visibility condition" and "Choice code" windows auto-close after picking an option. The "Choices" window does close automatically and I don't see relevance of the condition and choice code info afterward either. This would be a nice QoL change to me.

Regardless, thank you for making this mod.

Reactions: theMickey_

toobad0912

May 1, 2021
Hello! Love the URM. But I'm having trouble with it for the first time. The game is University Days and here's the traceback. Any help would be awesome!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I noticed something with custom textboxes that's probably a feature request rather than anything URM is doing wrong.

When a dev uses multiple to show people talking at the same time, the URM custom textbox just shows them both in the same space, overlapping entirely. This seems to be a pretty commonly-used feature, so having a way to properly display it could be useful.

Example in script for the game Evermore:
Python:
    with dissolve
    e "Whaaat!" (multiple=2)
    j "Whaaat!" (multiple=2)
The multiple is defined in screens.rpy:
Python:
style block1_multiple2_say_window:
    xalign 0.5
    xfill True
    yalign 0.7
    ysize gui.textbox_height

background Image("gui/textbox.png", xalign=0.5, yalign=0.7)

style block2_multiple2_say_window:
    xalign 0.5
    xfill True
    yalign gui.textbox_yalign
    ysize gui.textbox_height

background Image("gui/textbox.png", xalign=0.5, yalign=1.0)
Wrote is down, but I don't know if I want to support those rather unique cases

I have been using URM for a while now in multiple games. So far, I haven't encountered any issues and it's been useful to me.

However, I would like to suggest a QoL change: having the "Visibility condition" and "Choice code" windows auto-close after picking an option. The "Choices" window does close automatically and I don't see relevance of the condition and choice code info afterward either. This would be a nice QoL change to me.

Regardless, thank you for making this mod.
Noted! I'll fix this ;)

Hello! Love the URM. But I'm having trouble with it for the first time. The game is University Days and here's the traceback. Any help would be awesome!

Could you add some more information?
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

Jun 14, 2023
No, there's no regex support (yet)
this would really be a killer feature! Imagine replacing all occurences of a name with another word *cough* mom/sis *cough* but only in dialogue lines spoken by a specific actor!
Of course, not all are so at home with RegEx, I myself have too look up every single thing I do in RegEx. Also, there are more than one format of RegEx [insert relevant xkcd strip], so there's that too.
I guess coding a simple choice interface on top of regex for the more common advanced search-replace is a bit much. And those of us who really really want to do such actions on the script could always unren the files and use a text editor with RegEx...

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
this would really be a killer feature! Imagine replacing all occurences of a name with another word *cough* mom/sis *cough* but only in dialogue lines spoken by a specific actor!
Of course, not all are so at home with RegEx, I myself have too look up every single thing I do in RegEx. Also, there are more than one format of RegEx [insert relevant xkcd strip], so there's that too.
I guess coding a simple choice interface on top of regex for the more common advanced search-replace is a bit much. And those of us who really really want to do such actions on the script could always unren the files and use a text editor with RegEx...
like this ?

(for example)

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
well, I can't code for shit (as in, last time i tried to learn programming was Commodore Basic in the 80s), but I guess so? That was written in Python I assume from the header, and Ren'Py is in Python too, so I guess that basically drops in as a mod for whichever game it is for?
yep
this works on most renpy games

just replace the names to the ones in the actual game

the last part is a textreplacer no matter who talks

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Of course! My bad! I also included this info at the top of the traceback.txt file attached.

Thanks!

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately there's not much I can do.
They (game dev) broke Python itself by assigning a character to a variable named "type".

When I try to save
There's not much I can do with such little information. See this:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

bobmcbob15

Feb 29, 2020
Is freezing the only way to get a changed value to stick? I changed a value from true to false then saved the game. If I load that save up again, the value is back to true.

EDIT: Actually even freezing the value seems to do nothing. I switch the value to false and turn on freeze. I save my game. I load a different save, then I load the first save and suddenly the value is back to true.

Last edited:

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Is freezing the only way to get a changed value to stick? I changed a value from true to false then saved the game. If I load that save up again, the value is back to true.

EDIT: Actually even freezing the value seems to do nothing. I switch the value to false and turn on freeze. I save my game. I load a different save, then I load the first save and suddenly the value is back to true.

try to change the value/statement, go a few textlines further - save and load

Letstryitout

Sep 11, 2018
This mod is great, it really saves me with games with multiple routes and with no gallery. I wish we could find the scenes easier though, still saves a lot of time and effort. Thanks for the mod.

Reactions: 0x52

Jericho85

Apr 25, 2022
When playing the recent update to Pale Carnations, Ren'Py started throwing an error whenever I try to Alt+M to the URM controls. It doesn't matter when or where I am in the the game's progress, the error occurs whenever I press Alt+M now.

This seems to be the only VN affected by this. I've tried reinstalling the VN, tried both the compressed and non-compressed, and tried a new copy of URM 1.15.2 from this thread. None of that worked
    • Yes. v1.15.2
    • Attached
    • I changed a minor condition (HanaGF) from True to False and set a few variables to be remembered. After which, I get an error whenever I press Alt+M no matter where it is in the game, even in older saves from before I changed that variable.
  • When URM gave an error (nota grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
    • It says "Mod loaded from archive" (I've attached the log)
  • What OS are you on?
    • Windows 10
    • No other mods

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
When playing the recent update to Pale Carnations, Ren'Py started throwing an error whenever I try to Alt+M to the URM controls. It doesn't matter when or where I am in the the game's progress, the error occurs whenever I press Alt+M now.

This seems to be the only VN affected by this. I've tried reinstalling the VN, tried both the compressed and non-compressed, and tried a new copy of URM 1.15.2 from this thread. None of that worked
    • Yes. v1.15.2
    • Attached
    • I changed a minor condition (HanaGF) from True to False and set a few variables to be remembered. After which, I get an error whenever I press Alt+M no matter where it is in the game, even in older saves from before I changed that variable.
  • When URM gave an error (nota grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
    • It says "Mod loaded from archive" (I've attached the log)
  • What OS are you on?
    • Windows 10
    • No other mods
The error is in the FAQ in the second post of this thread:

Hello dev,
I wanted to ask about save/load slots.
Is it possible to make more slots per page.
Will be added in the future

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes