Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
Have you tried to run the game without URM, to make sure your download isn't corrupted and you have correctly unpacked everything?
If it is addressed to me, I already said it was running fine with version 1.15.0. Anyway, must be some error on my part. This is the first time this happened anyways. On another note looking forward to a new update with another cool feature. Thanks for trying it out. Maybe I will try it out again with the latest version. (Tbh there is not much of a vital change in these two versions)

Edit : checked it with latest version. Works fine. sorry for creating confusion and commotion. Must be some mistake on my end

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
As of v3.18 version of Fetish Locator (FL), I get error pages that result in selecting "rollback, ignore, etc" when using with this mod. It's the only game so far that an issue like this is encountered.

Edit: Only happens if you start a new game on FL. Once you progressed far enough, remove the mod from the game, load a save file, quit the game, reinstall the mod, load a save game and all is fine again.

Last edited:

PalmFace

Aug 22, 2017
Is there a way to dismiss monitored variables without having to "explicitly confirm" the stat change after clicking on the popup on the left?
Also, when you have choices, is it possible to preview the code of the choice (stat change for example) without having to open the choices menu and then selecting to see the code for it?

redpenguin101

Feb 19, 2019
Hey I can't get it to rename the MC in A Fortnight at Frenni Fazclaire's and I was wondering if anyone would be able and willing to help?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
As of v3.18 version of Fetish Locator (FL), I get error pages that result in selecting "rollback, ignore, etc" when using with this mod. It's the only game so far that an issue like this is encountered.

Edit: Only happens if you start a new game on FL. Once you progressed far enough, remove the mod from the game, load a save file, quit the game, reinstall the mod, load a save game and all is fine again.
Please supply some more information. See this:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
Is there a way to dismiss monitored variables without having to "explicitly confirm" the stat change after clicking on the popup on the left?
Also, when you have choices, is it possible to preview the code of the choice (stat change for example) without having to open the choices menu and then selecting to see the code for it?
You mean dismissing some dialog? All URM dialogs can be dismissed by pressing Esc.

Choices (and paths) screen will be improved in the future ;)

Reactions: PalmFace

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation. Also forgot to search if this was ever reported before or not. Sorry. Didn't think of that until after posting.
Variables between { } do not show content in Rename entries. Nevertheless, the actual replacement does happen.

• Are you using the latest version of URM:
    • no crash
    • added a renaming option
  • When URM gave an error (nota grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
    • No log created in this case
  • What OS are you on?
    • Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3570 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?
    • Heavily modified Transparent Textbox Mod, Universal Choice Descriptor Mod
    • and yes, without those installed the issue still exists.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Variables between { } do not show content in Rename entries.
To be fair, I think it works exactly as it was designed, and I personally want.

Lemme give you an example:

You want to replace the following text in a game: "See you again {time}" and change it to "Cheers mate, until tonight!". But the variable {time} might change depending on what time of day you initiate the dialog, so it might be "See you later tonight" or "See you later tomorrow". So I do want to know that there's a variable which I probably want to keep in the replaced text, to either get "Cheers mate, until tonight" or "Cheers mate, until tomorrow".

Hope that makes sense.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
You want to replace the following text in a game: "See you again {time}" and change it to "Cheers mate, until tonight!". But the variable {time} might change depending on what time of day you initiate the dialog, so it might be "See you later tonight" or "See you later tomorrow". So I do want to know that there's a variable which I probably want to keep in the replaced text, to either get "Cheers mate, until tonight" or "Cheers mate, until tomorrow".
Yeah it makes sense, IF the variable actually showed.
Besides, even if it displayed the value it evaluates to, as long as I don't replace the variable, it should show whatever it evaluates to at the time of usage.

In your case the {time}, so either tonight, tomorrow, this afternoon, or even next week...
In my case I just wanted to see the variable itself, so I know there is one.
And you said it yourself, you DO want to know there is a variable... how are you going to tell if it isn't showing?

I may know that at this time. But if I play this game again in 6 months, I'll likely have forgotten.
Which might cause me to interpret it as an entry removing a double space...
And since Renpy already deals with this itself, it might lead me to remove the entry and unknowingly re-introduce a grammatical error.

Since it's not showing, how the heck do I know if it's showing what it is supposed to show...
It's not so much the variable itself I wanted to replace, but where it's used.

Last edited:

Tommyfreddy3

May 9, 2020
I looked a little bit before I asked this but could this work without joiplay on android, if so where would I put the rpa file

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
I looked a little bit before I asked this but could this work without joiplay on android, if so where would I put the rpa file
I am confused about your question. It works in joiplay just fine and you put the file in the "game" folder of the game. And in ports too I hope they work because urm is now touch sensitive. Same about the folder.

Tommyfreddy3

May 9, 2020
I am confused about your question. It works in joiplay just fine and you put the file in the "game" folder of the game. And in ports too I hope they work because urm is now touch sensitive. Same about the folder.
i was wondering if you have to use joiplay to use URM or could I use the apk version (if it's available) with the URM file

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
i was wondering if you have to use joiplay to use URM or could I use the apk version (if it's available) with the URM file
My guess is both or whichever you prefer. Some ports (such as wills port of karlson gambit) used to compat with urm (played it myself). But I cannot guarantee that all ports will be compatible with urm though. But again, I think they will cause no trouble. But you can always play all renpy games in joiplay. Why bother ports?? And urm is fully compatible with joiplay.

It is clearly written in the OP

This mod also supports touchscreen devices. But the build/port of the game needs to support mods!

You can open the mod by drawing an U on screen (swipe down-right-up).
When URM detects a touchscreen it will also put a draggable button on screen to open URM (you can disable this through the options).

Reactions: Tommyfreddy3

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Yeah it makes sense, IF the variable actually showed.
(Note to myself: Don't ever reply again if you're in a rush and didn't fully understand the original question!)

Sorry, my bad -- you're absolutely right and I got it wrong in my head thinking about what I want, how it should work, and then I replied without having tested it.

So here's the thing (after testing some examples now): because the "Add text replacement" box allows you to enter any free text, and URM doesn't know what text you want to replace, you can basically type whatever you want -- including variables or not. But to know if there's a variable used in the current line you want to replace, you actually have to look at the code, which URM doesn't give you an option to do so (or at least I don't know how).

I agree with FaceCrap that it would be nice to know if there's a variable used in a specific line, so here would be my feature request towards 0x52 to accomplish that: In the "Add text replacement" box, which looks like this:

1698835570632.png

...add a button to replace the "on screen" message, which then would put the currently displayed line(s) in their original form including used (but not replaced) variables into the "Original" field if that makes sense. Then we would be able to edit the "Original" as well as the "Replacement" accordingly keeping any used variable.

Thanks!

Reactions: 0x52

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
Universal Ren'Py Mod [1.15.2] does not work in the game Artemis [v0.5.0a]
I dont know what your issue is. But mine is working fine. I am using updated version (compressed) of artemis and it worked smoothly. As you can see in the attachments even the textbox is working fine. Maybe you are having trouble loading your old saves... What error is it giving? Please upload the errors and be specific.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Universal Ren'Py Mod [1.15.2] does not work in the game Artemis [v0.5.0a]
It actually does work fine.
1698841830225.png

If it's not working for you, please fill out a decent bug report:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?

• Love
Reactions: 0x52

said999

May 30, 2021
It actually does work fine.
View attachment 3052045

If it's not working for you, please fill out a decent bug report:
1. 1.15.2
2. Artemis [v0.5.0a]
3. Crash doesn't. There is no traceback.txt file.
4. Nothing
5. -
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
7. Windows 11 Pro Build 22621.ni_release.220506-1250
8. With and without other mods the result is the same.

The mod does not display dialog boxes and the “Alt + M” button combination does not work.

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Not sure if this is a bug or just a limitation. Also forgot to search if this was ever reported before or not. Sorry. Didn't think of that until after posting.
Variables between { } do not show content in Rename entries. Nevertheless, the actual replacement does happen.

• Are you using the latest version of URM:
    • no crash
    • added a renaming option
  • When URM gave an error (nota grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
    • No log created in this case
  • What OS are you on?
    • Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3570 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0
    • Heavily modified Transparent Textbox Mod, Universal Choice Descriptor Mod
    • and yes, without those installed the issue still exists.
I assume you've mistaken curly braces ("{") for square brackets ("[")? Because the first are used for text styling and the second for variables.

If I understand correctly you want to be able the replace the result of a variable?
So if we have a variable player = "FaceCrap", then you would want "Hello [player]!" to also match "Hello FaceCrap!"?

Not all Android versions will work, but you could try this:
  1. Use a filebrowser to go to /storage/emulated/android/data/<gamename>/files/game (create the directory "game" if it doesn't exist yet)
  2. Put the 0x52_URM.rpa in there
  3. Load the game

1. 1.15.2
2. Artemis [v0.5.0a]
3. Crash doesn't. There is no traceback.txt file.
4. Nothing
5. -
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
7. Windows 11 Pro Build 22621.ni_release.220506-1250
8. With and without other mods the result is the same.

The mod does not display dialog boxes and the “Alt + M” button combination does not work.
This is gonna be tricky do debug, since it works for other people.
Firstly, the log.txt seems incomplete, dit you copy it while the game was still running?

You could try enabling the touchbutton through another game to see if it's just a Alt+M issue:
  1. Open URM through another game where it does work
  2. Ga to "Options" > "Miscellaneous"
  3. Globally enable "touch control"
  4. Try Artemis again, it might show a 0x52 logo on screen now that can open URM
Another thing to try is remove saves:
  1. Close the game
  2. Rename the file "persistent" inside the "game/saves" folder (to "persistent_original" for example)
  3. Do the same thing for the "persistnet" file in the "Artemis..." folder in %appdata%\RenPy
  4. Start the game, choose to start a new game and see if URM now shows up
  5. If it didn't help:
    1. Close the game again
    2. Remove the newly created "persistent" file inside "game/saves"
    3. Rename you previous file back to "persistent"

Last edited:

said999

May 30, 2021
You could try enabling the touchbutton through another game to see if it's just a Alt+M issue:
  1. Open URM through another game where it does work
  2. Ga to "Options" > "Miscellaneous"
  3. Globally enable "touch control"
  4. Try Artemis again, it might show a 0x52 logo on screen now that can open URM
The button appeared. But if you roll back with the mouse wheel, the button disappears.

Another thing to try is remove saves:
There is no problem with URM when deleting saves or starting a new game. But I don't want to start a new game. I'll be left without URM.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes