Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.3.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

Kinito1952

Mar 11, 2020
Hi theMickey_. Thanks for your interest. I'll answer your questions by saying that I'm just playing the game. I don't activate any of the options available in URM. I don't even open its menu. This happens without using any URM options or commands. In the previous report I forgot to report that I have the "family-mod-0.51.0" mod installed.
I honestly have no idea what causes this situation. I've reported the problem in case it's due to a violation of the renpy code or the use of some reserved word, things that are unlikely on the part of '0x52' since he seems to me to be a fairly clean programmer and with knowledge of what he does. But the saying goes that the best writer has a blot.
Anyway, thanks for your interest. I remain at your disposal to try to clarify any other doubts.
Kind regards.

Juerhullycin

Feb 4, 2024
Hi, I installed the new version 0.1.1 (fresh install) of "love and evil things" and threw the new 2.3 version of URM on it, but when i try to start the game it throws a type error and cant be started. I didnt find that error on a cursorily search of the threat.

There was a similar one where the dev fucked up renpy is that the same here?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
...I'll answer your questions by saying that I'm just playing the game.
I've just tested the game (without any additional mods except URM), and I get the same log entries. I still can use URM to search variables and stuff, but something seems to be off.

...when i try to start the game it throws a type error and cant be started...
Can confirm this as well, and because it's the same for every URM version I tested (all 2.x as well as the latest 1.x version), my guess would be some issues within the game's code...?! But I'm not a Ren'Py dev myself, so let's see if 0x52 might be able to tell.

Reactions: Juerhullycin

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Good afternoon, valued member.
My thanks for sharing your 0X52 mod with all of us. I think it is very well structured and with a correct approach. Personally, it has made it easier for me to delve into and understand Ren'Py a little better. If memory serves, I have been a follower of yours since July 2021.
Since the June V2.2.0 update I detect an increase in the "log.txt" file, so I go to:

Report a problem:
I am using URM version V2.3
The situation occurs with almost any Ren'Py game, but we'll focus on Straitened Times [v0.51.0].
Link: https://f95zone.to/threads/straitened-times-v0-51-0-hrelease.52690/
No fault occurs (gray screen).
The problem occurs with the normal development of the game.
I am attaching "log.txt" file.
OS: Although the log.txt says Win 10, it is really Windows 11 Pro. 64 Bit Ver. 21H2 - 22000.2538
Processor i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90 GHz. - RAM 32.0 GB DDR4
I have an additional mod even if the problem persists whether it is activated or not.
It is also translated into Spanish with the help of Ren'Py V 8.1.1-sdk.

I trust you have a relatively easy solution.
Thanks in advance for your help. Greetings.
Thank you for the report. This will be fixed in the next update (hopefully this weekend)

Hi, I installed the new version 0.1.1 (fresh install) of "love and evil things" and threw the new 2.3 version of URM on it, but when i try to start the game it throws a type error and cant be started. I didnt find that error on a cursorily search of the threat.

There was a similar one where the dev fucked up renpy is that the same here?

It's because the dev broke Ren'Py itself by using the Character

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Version 2.3.1 is available
Changelog:
  • Codeview changes:
    • Added option to remember and watch variables from the codeview
    • Close the dialog when the parent dialog (paths/choices) is closed
    • Larger text size
    • Added option to open lists/dicts/objects from codeview
    • Show a comments in the code (instead of an empty line) where there's dialogue
  • Fix: Variable freezing/monitoring for some specific Ren'Py versions

jasad

Dec 14, 2021
Version 2.3.1 is available
Changelog:
  • Codeview changes:
    • Added option to remember and watch variables from the codeview
    • Close the dialog when the parent dialog (paths/choices) is closed
    • Larger text size
    • Added option to open lists/dicts/objects from codeview
    • Show a comments in the code (instead of an empty line) where there's dialogue
  • Fix: Variable freezing/monitoring for some specific Ren'Py versions
thank you

masterf1

Dec 11, 2019
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 6, in script
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 7, in <module>
File "0x52-URM/framework/bootstrap.rpy", line 20, in load
Exception: 0x52: This mod (x52URM) does not support Ren'Py version 6.99.12.4.2187. Lowest supported version is 6.99.14

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "D:\Games\mgq-0.99.14-rus_with_fix\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 295, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "D:\Games\mgq-0.99.14-rus_with_fix\renpy\main.py", line 419, in main
game.context().run(node)
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 6, in script
File "D:\Games\mgq-0.99.14-rus_with_fix\renpy\ast.py", line 814, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "D:\Games\mgq-0.99.14-rus_with_fix\renpy\python.py", line 1719, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 7, in <module>
File "0x52-URM/framework/bootstrap.rpy", line 20, in load
Exception: 0x52: This mod (x52URM) does not support Ren'Py version 6.99.12.4.2187. Lowest supported version is 6.99.14

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
MGQ 0.99.014

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
See:
When you get the exception "0x52: Incompatible Ren'Py engine version" when starting a game it means that the Ren'Py version used by that game isn't supported by URM.

Workaround
There's a workaround for this where you upgrade the Ren'Py version used by the game yourself. But this is not guaranteed to work.
  1. Download the Ren'Py SDK (I would recommend and use the "Download SDK zip" below the buttons)
  2. From the game's folder, remove the folders lib and renpy. Also remove the .exe, .py and .sh files
  3. From the downloaded SDK, put the folders lib and renpy and the files renpy.exe, renpy.py and renpy.sh into the game's folder
  4. Now run the game by starting renpy.exe (on Windows) or renpy.sh (on Linux)

Reactions: masterf1

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
Your Mod is automatically messing up with Insexual Awakening's font. I've not changed any settings and certainly didn't poke around textbox's settings. I've not encountered this issue with ANY game before and I've been using your mod for long enough and buncha games and it works just perfectly. Can you look into this issue?

Keep Growing!
Stay Healthy!

GOLDLUCK!:coffee: 0x52

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Your Mod is automatically messing up with Insexual Awakening's font.
Hm, can't reproduce this -- I've just tested it and it's working perfectly fine on my end.

1721018500029.png 1721018652961.png

Please see the following to provide more details:
Reporting an issue
When reporting an issue with URM, please include the information below:
  • Are you using the latest version of URM?
  • Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
  • If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
  • What did you do that caused the issue?
  • Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
  • When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
  • What OS are you on?
  • Do you have any other mods installed? Does the issue still exist without the other mod(s)?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: 0x52 and | Vee |

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
Hm, can't reproduce this -- I've just tested it and it's working perfectly fine on my end.

Please see the following to provide more details:
That's odd.
  • The version of URM is 2.3.1
  • Mod is automatically messing up with Insexual Awakening v1.2's font
  • no game crash
  • I simply placed the mod in game folder as usual
  • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • There is no visible error but I've attached the log.txt file and it has some errors in it
  • Edition : Windows 10 Pro
    Version : 22H2
    OS build 19045.4651
  • I installed URM in the game folder and it is the only mod that I'm using that is causing issue. There wasn't any other mod besides URM.

Is there any option to reset setting of URM that may help.

Last edited:

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
So cause this game starts with a video: https://f95zone.to/threads/love-and-evil-things-v0-1-3-petals.172695/ and the error code mentions image:
Code:
```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 33, in <module>
  File "0x52-URM/classes/textbox.rpy", line 14, in __init__
TypeError: __call__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'image'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpyc", line 18, in script
  File "C:\Users\maliu\Desktop\LoveandEvilThings-0.1.3-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 823, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\maliu\Desktop\LoveandEvilThings-0.1.3-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1178, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "0x52-URM/classes/main.rpy", line 33, in <module>
  File "0x52-URM/classes/textbox.rpy", line 14, in __init__
TypeError: __call__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'image'

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Love and Evil Things 0.1.3
Mon Jul 15 16:07:46 2024
```
I assume the URM is simply not set up to deal with that, i've never seen a Renpy game start with a video before so it wouldn't surprise me. Is there a solution?

Edit: oh, i should make it clear, it boots with a video, the crash occurs before the game finishes loading if the mod is installed.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
  • Yes it is the latest version of URM and also the latest version of the game
  • I installed URM in the game folder alone and it is the only mod that is causing issue. There was any other mod besides URM.
Instead of saying "latest version" when being asked for the version of the mod/game you're using. Please name the exact version, like 2.3 or 2.3.1 -- there were cases where people assumed they used the "latest" version, but in fact they weren't.

(0x52 You should probably rephrase that in your "Reporting an issue" template as well, like: "What version of URM are you using?")

And by "There was any other mod besides URM", you probably meant "There wasn't any other mod besides URM", right? Just to be sure...

Reactions: | Vee | and 0x52

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
If you had just scrolled up a bit and read the last 5-10 messages (or just searched for "love and evil things"), you would have found this: It's not URM's fault, the game developers broke Ren'Py.
Honestly just didn't even occur to me, felt the game was so new i'd be the first one to mention it, spoke to the dev and they've taken care of it for their next patch so if anyone else asks you can just tell them it's been resolved.

Reactions: theMickey_ and 0x52

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
Instead of saying "latest version" when being asked for the version of the mod/game you're using. Please name the exact version, like 2.3 or 2.3.1 -- there were cases where people assumed they used the "latest" version, but in fact they weren't.

(0x52 You should probably rephrase that in your "Reporting an issue" template as well, like: "What version of URM are you using?")

And by "There was any other mod besides URM", you probably meant "There wasn't any other mod besides URM", right? Just to be sure...
My bad. Fixed my post.

Reactions: theMickey_

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
That's odd.
  • The version of URM is 2.3.1
  • Mod is automatically messing up with Insexual Awakening v1.2's font
  • no game crash
  • I simply placed the mod in game folder as usual
  • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • There is no visible error but I've attached the log.txt file and it has some errors in it
  • Edition : Windows 10 Pro
    Version : 22H2
    OS build 19045.4651
  • I installed URM in the game folder and it is the only mod that I'm using that is causing issue. There wasn't any other mod besides URM.

Is there any option to reset setting of URM that may help.
Like theMickey_ I'm unable to reproduce your issue.
So there should be something else causing this.

Also... the attached logfile seems to be from URM 2.3, because what's logged in that file is fixed in 2.3.1 ;)

I can't insert the file into the "game" folder on my Android 13, can anyone help me, the folder isn't showing up for me
Did you check this?
The easiers way would be to use JoiPlay. But some Android versions of Ren'Py games support mods, in that case you could try:
  1. Use a filebrowser to go to /storage/emulated/android/data/<gamename>/files/game (create the directory "game" if it doesn't exist yet)
  2. Put the 0x52_URM.rpa in there
  3. Load the game

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
Like theMickey_ I'm unable to reproduce your issue.
So there should be something else causing this.
This is URM 2.3.1 log file can you check if it for possible reasons?
Also the game starts with original font but when I click on start new game or load a save file, the font automatically changes.
And it doesn't happen if I remove URM 2.3.1 from game folder so the issue is clearly URM but I can't seem to catch what exactly it is.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes