Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.3.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

walkerin

Aug 16, 2024
idk what to tell you i assumed one of those would work, all "init 99 python:" does is delay the game 'reading' the code block till after "init python:" and "init 1 python:"-"init 98 python:"

but maybe config.XXX varibiles shouldn't be in a python block?

if so
Python:
init offset = 99

config.has_autosave = False
config.autosave_on_quit = False
config.autosave_on_choice = False
should work unless i am mistaken and i could be i am no expert lol
its ok thx for trying

Jul 31, 2021
Hi so I'm not sure if it's something on my end and I've only seen maybe one post about this on here but whenever I launch COTE: Red Sonata [v0.14.3] it sends me a traceback error followed by the URM mod getting deleted. I'm using the latest version so I'm not sure what it is that I'm missing. Was this something the dev of that game did intentionally and if so, is there a way to bypass that or am I SOL? Cheers.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Hi so I'm not sure if it's something on my end and I've only seen maybe one post about this on here...
If you did search for "red sonata" you should have found 0x52's reply on this issue though...?! The game dev intentionally deletes any modification to the game, but 0x52 does mention a "workaround" for that -- I haven't tested it myself, so I can't tell if it's still working.

Jul 31, 2021
If you did search for "red sonata" you should have found 0x52's reply on this issue though...?! The game dev intentionally deletes any modification to the game, but 0x52 does mention a "workaround" for that -- I haven't tested it myself, so I can't tell if it's still working.
I actually didn't see that they posted a reply to that other post, sorry mate. Will try the workaround and see if that helps. Cheers.

Edit: That did the trick, but it doesn't want to open the URM menu when I press alt + m. :confused:

Edit 2: Nevermind, I guess it was just the prologue that wasn't allowing me to use it? :FacePalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: theMickey_
Jul 17, 2020
Hi so I'm not sure if it's something on my end and I've only seen maybe one post about this on here but whenever I launch COTE: Red Sonata [v0.14.3] it sends me a traceback error followed by the URM mod getting deleted. I'm using the latest version so I'm not sure what it is that I'm missing. Was this something the dev of that game did intentionally and if so, is there a way to bypass that or am I SOL? Cheers.
game seems to run aggressive python scripting for anti-tamper? doesn't even want to run vanilla under sandbox environment (file access restrictions/networking blocked)

SimReaper18

Jan 11, 2019
Unity games aren't editable like Ren'Py games, so there's nothing you can really do without some proper hacking AFAIK. Unless the game creator allowed for some sort of scripting on top of the engine, which is unlikely for this genre.
More specifically, Unity games don't follow a particular pattern like RenPy does, such as some specific, set variables and whatnot. You can't just pop a file into Unity and expect to be able to change a character's name or whatever, because that game might use its own code to make a VN, so you'd have to know that code specifically and target it. It's practically impossible to make a "universal" Unity mod that has a lot of the same high-level functionality that URM has, just because of that variation and the nature of Unity as a game engine. A Unity game can be anything, anywhere from a VN to the next Fallout NV, and because of that fact, no Unity mod can be as universal as URM.

However, Unity games are editable like RenPy, if you're willing to use/learn BepInEx, MelonLoader, or any similar modding framework. Those are just easy-to-install modding frameworks that hooks into Unity games and allows certain plugins to be ran, such as or even my mod for Femboy Survival.

TL;DR: Unity can be as moddable (if not more) as RenPy, but there is no plug-and-play, "universal" Unity mod that functions like this one, especially not if the Unity game is a VN.

Reactions: MaxRichard
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes