Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
I am not sure i can make sense from your writing. Sorry, it confuses me.

But about your attachment...
Ever thought it could be helpful to us if you mention the games name which produces this problems? From my first look i would guess, the errors come from the changes in RenPy combined with the old version of unrpyc.

Unrpyc v1.0.15 still sits in UnRen up to version 0.9-dev. You could try with the last release of it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
And this causes the screen to fail in several lines, rendering the game unusable.
Like Madeddy said, this is the combination of a recent version of Ren'py and an old version of unrpyc. A well known issue addressed a lot of times and that is supposed to be solved with the 0.9 version of unren.

John Raatz

Sep 8, 2018
a quick maybe not so technical question...can the archive.rpa be deleted after running unren in /game folder or does it need to remain?

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
a quick maybe not so technical question...can the archive.rpa be deleted after running unren in /game folder or does it need to remain?
Try it for yourself! Make a copy of the game, run UnRen on it, then delete the rpa. See if it works!

Moricano

Jan 30, 2019
Like @Madeddy said, this is the combination of a recent version of Ren'py and an old version of unrpyc. A well known issue addressed a lot of times and that is supposed to be solved with the 0.9 version of unren.
Ok friend now I discovered yesterday how to fix the errors that sometimes give in the screen file.
Certain games after using UnRen in option 9 he usually changes the place tags causing errors that do not even let the game turn on.
I managed to solve it myself when I went to open a game and it gave 7 errors.
The errors happened after I decrypted using UnRen, this had changed the parameters of the tags of the place but from breaking my head I was able to decipher how to fix the errors.
Now I am saved because since I learned I will not lose myself anymore. ;)(y)

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Without being coy :Kappa:@goobdoob, UnRen takes all of the contents of the RPA and basically just decrypts and unpacks them. You can think of an RPA as an encrypted zip file, that a ren'py executable can read/access just like 7zip or winrar can access a zip archive. Unpacking it doesn't make its contents unreadable to the executable, it just makes it readable to you, so you can safely delete the archive and save yourself some space.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Without being coy :Kappa:@goobdoob, UnRen takes all of the contents of the RPA and basically just decrypts and unpacks them. You can think of an RPA as an encrypted zip file, that a ren'py executable can read/access just like 7zip or winrar can access a zip archive. Unpacking it doesn't make its contents unreadable to the executable, it just makes it readable to you, so you can safely delete the archive and save yourself some space.
Thats basically correct.
A simple archive for the game files which can be read by the engine(unpacks in memory) while the game runs. If you unpack the RPA(or the game comes without RPA) the engine uses the unpacked files, saves some work(*¹) and ignores the copys in the archive. The RPA are not needed anymore if after the unpacking all runs without errors.

¹ = The unpacking needs naturally some hardware ressourses and time. Some games even run sligthly faster without RPA.
it keeps giving me an error that says it cant find python.exe (i put it where the .exe is)
If you mean with "put it" UnRen then this is the games root directory and is the correct location which should work. Your python.exe must be in 'lib/windows-i686/' <-- here.

Which game, which Unren version, which is your OS ...?

EDIT: Different thing. Unren_0.10.0-dev
I cut a new UnRen version out which has the latest unrpyc. If someone cares to test it...
EDIT2: Unren_0.10.1-dev
Unrpyc should have been not worked. I forgot Sam use a hacked version because RenPys python has no multiprocessing. Needet to remove it form unrpyc.
Edit3: removed file because it used outdated and bugged unrpyc version

Last edited:

oldirish44

Mar 12, 2019
Like Madeddy said, this is the combination of a recent version of Ren'py and an old version of unrpyc. A well known issue addressed a lot of times and that is supposed to be solved with the 0.9 version of unren.

I tried to figure out how to use unren and so far no luck. How does it actually work when you bring the console up? I picked option 3 but any code didn't move to the game. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: vimkeller

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
I tried to figure out how to use unren and so far no luck. How does it actually work when you bring the console up? I picked option 3 but any code didn't move to the game. Any help is appreciated.
If you got so far and have it running with a game of your choice, then option 3-6 should write little *.rpy scripts alongside your other files in the game dir. e.g. full path --> .../YOUR_GAMES_NAME/game/ <-- here)

The script should then do there work if you run your game. e.g. allowing rollback etc.

The second point does not work either :(
You're right but i noticed already. :oops:
Fixed. (Version in the other thread upgradet)

Reactions: vimkeller

oldirish44

Mar 12, 2019
If you got so far and have it running with a game of your choice, then option 3-6 should write little *.rpy scripts alongside your other files in the game dir. e.g. full path --> .../YOUR_GAMES_NAME/game/ <-- here)

The script should then do there work if you run your game. e.g. allowing rollback etc.

You're right but i noticed already. :oops:
Fixed. (Version in the other thread upgradet)

I get option 3 and then shift o and then do I put in my code or is it supposed to drop below to put the codes in? I am not a programmer, but an trying hard to learn this. for some reason i am not understanding what comes after the shift o

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
for some reason i am not understanding what comes after the shift o
Probably because you're mixing two different things.
UnRen's option 3 is to add to the game the code that will let you access the console. It's to do before you start the game.
This while shift + o is to open the console when you are playing the game.

As for what to do once you're on the console, it totally depend of what game you're playing and what you search to achieve. But honestly, if you don't know what to do with the console, it generally mean that you don't need it.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Thats basically correct.
A simple archive for the game files which can be read by the engine(unpacks in memory) while the game runs. If you unpack the RPA(or the game comes without RPA) the engine uses the unpacked files, saves some work(*¹) and ignores the copys in the archive. The RPA are not needed anymore if after the unpacking all runs without errors.

¹ = The unpacking needs naturally some hardware ressourses and time. Some games even run sligthly faster without RPA.

If you mean with "put it" UnRen then this is the games root directory and is the correct location which should work. Your python.exe must be in 'lib/windows-i686/' <-- here.

Which game, which Unren version, which is your OS ...?

EDIT: Different thing. Unren_0.10.0-dev
I cut a new UnRen version out which has the latest unrpyc. If someone cares to test it...
EDIT2: Unren_0.10.1-dev
Unrpyc should have been not worked. I forgot Sam use a hacked version because RenPys python has no multiprocessing. Needet to remove it form unrpyc.
Well, I didn't want to get super technical but yea, that's a better breakdown of what's actually happening. On that note, there are some games that reference RPA archives, like Deviant Discoveries, so if you unpack a game like that you have to go through the script files and delete those references and the game should function like normal. Otherwise it will look for the packages and return an error when it doesn't find them. Also, thanks for the updated Un'Ren. I'll try it out at some point and see if it helps with some games I was having issues with.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
where do i find the files it extracted? trying to find music from a certain game i played but cant find the files
It depends on the dev, some people make a music/sound folder, some put it in the root game folder, others make subfolders so you'd have to find it. You can search for typical music file extensions like .mp3, .wav or .ogg in the game folder, that's probably your best bet if you're having no luck.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
*** Some info about a bug if you run UnRen option 2:

If you people run the decompile option there is a chance it produces incomplete written files. This is with UnRen since version 0.7 from the look of it.

I am still on it but the problem is something with RenPy's python or somewhere in our changes/attempts to get stuff running on it.

We use Renpys python to run rpatool/unrpyc over it because its always there and this way win users don't need to install a extra python2.7. However this py version is strongly changed by the renpy dev and that makes problems.
Funny thing is, the errors are not with every game/file and already since (at least) last year in UnRen and nobody said anything. (!)

If someone needs the decompiled scripts then i advice to go with a normal python and unrpyc from github.

Edit: Got it. Its because the python which is delivered with a Renpy game is specialy made fo this use and limited in features. In this case (SummertimeSaga) some files have a uncommon encoding which is missing in Renpy.

Last edited:

Belfaborac

Jul 7, 2019
I'm trying to use unren to extract the movies from "Being a DIK", but option 1 just terminates after seaching for rpa packages. I've placed unren in the /game folder and there are certainly lots of rpa files there....

Can anybody clue me in?

afterlights

Jan 31, 2020
Is it supposed to go in the game folder? I paste it in the main folder with the exe. But I only have used option "1" to extract images, so I'm not sure about the other ones functioning properly.

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes