Tool Ren'Py UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8.2

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Waaait a minute...! Does it mean that there is the possibility that MacOS Catalina user might not be able to play their favorite adult Ren'Py game in the future? :unsure:
No. First, in all Mac Versions, developers provide 64-bit libraries. Second, it's easy to build libraries with RenPy SDK. In fact, somewhere on F95 some guy provided bash script which makes libs and binaries for all Unix-like systems (Linux, Mac0S, *BSDs etc...)

• Wow
Reactions: cold_arctus

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Not exactly on-topic, but fuck it, it's my thread.

Aspyr is removing their 32 bit games from stores. I just looked - Bioshock Infinite doesn't show as a Mac game on Steam. More info, including a big list of games, here: .

A 30 rack of Coors Light is $23 now at Sun Stop. Thanks, Obama.

Really, thanks Apple. Make my older AAA games die.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Really, thanks Apple. Make my older AAA games die.
Ubuntu removes support for i386 architecture as well with 19.10.
The middle of 2019 has now arrived. The Ubuntu engineering team has reviewed the facts before us and concluded that we should not continue to carry i386 forward as an architecture. Consequently, i386 will not be included as an architecture for the 19.10 release, and we will shortly begin the process of disabling it for the eoan series across Ubuntu infrastructure.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Ubuntu removes support for i386 architecture as well with 19.10.

"We will be working to polish the 32-bit support story over the course of the 19.10 development cycle."

Apple's 32-bit support story is "it's ended". :mad:

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
"We will be working to polish the 32-bit support story over the course of the 19.10 development cycle."

Apple's 32-bit support story is "it's ended". :mad:
Well, it's easier for them. First, there will be unofficial 32bit version of Ubuntu after that, I am sure almost 90%. Ubuntu is fork of Debian, there will be development version of Debian (that's basis, from which every new version of Ubuntu is being developed). Second, Linux is developing multi architectural libraries for few years. Full support is still not achieved, but in year or two there will be so, in theory 32 bit applications will be run at 64 bit systems.

numanumani

Jan 9, 2018
Just now there was a bug fix posted on github.com/CensoredUsername/unrpyc addressing recently discovered decompile errors, could you please port the fix into the Mac version?

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Just now there was a bug fix posted on github.com/CensoredUsername/unrpyc addressing recently discovered decompile errors, could you please port the fix into the Mac version?
I plan to update the Mac version to the latest unrpyc, but I wanted to wait until Sam updated the Windows version first. I don't want to diverge too much.

numanumani

Jan 9, 2018
I plan to update the Mac version to the latest unrpyc, but I wanted to wait until Sam updated the Windows version first. I don't want to diverge too much.
Understood.
I attempted my own private update which may or may not have succeded.

If it succeeded I am not sure the fix is complete yet since I still have issues decompiling certain rpyc-files, with errors referring to RevertableDict.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Understood.
I attempted my own private update which may or may not have succeded.

If it succeeded I am not sure the fix is complete yet since I still have issues decompiling certain rpyc-files, with errors referring to RevertableDict.
I'm not happy with how unrpyc and rpatool are stored. I think for the next version I'll zip it up as a folder, with the scripts as files instead of having the base64 encoded scripts in the shell script. That will make it easy for someone to replace the version I use with different versions.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
There are ways to write scripts so they'll work in both python 2 and python 3. unrpyc isn't forced to use 2 because Ren'Py uses 2; it just makes it convenient on windows for UnRen.
It's also convenient on Linux, since not all distributions come with Python installed by default. But that's probably not the only reason. Ren'py use pickle to everything, including writing/reading the rpyc files, and the 2.x and 3.x version aren't directly compatible. There's workaround, but it's always better to have direct compatibility than forcing the said compatibility.

It could (and presumably will) be upgraded at some point.
When he started the version 7.x, pyTom said that he'll works on the 8.x in the same time, making of the 8.x the port to Python 3.x. But there's probably still a long times before we see the first 8.x.

This said, whatever it's for Linux, Windows or Mac, Ren'py include Python in the distribution archive for the game. So, even with Apple dropping support for the version 2.x, it shouldn't prevent the games to be played.

I'm not happy with how unrpyc and rpatool are stored. I think for the next version I'll zip it up as a folder, with the scripts as files instead of having the base64 encoded scripts in the shell script. That will make it easy for someone to replace the version I use with different versions.
I second that. Especially for rpatool, since there's authors who love to mess with the rpa file. It would make it easier for players to occasionally use an alternate version.

franete01

May 14, 2019
dont know how it works!!!

launched the game on it and tryung to enable console (shift o) and nothing happens....

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
dont know how it works!!!

launched the game on it and tryung to enable console (shift o) and nothing happens....
You need to double click unren, then drag the app or paste the path into the shell window. Then select the option to enable the console.

Then run the game.

septacycell

Dec 27, 2017
Using Linux Mint I can't make it work.
Tried it with 2 different Renpy games, now trying with Personal trainer.
I start unren I tried draggin the exe file, the py file the sh file, I press enter and it just closes.
Of course Python is installed even the thing says so.
I can't do anything, I write whatever, press enter and it closes.

Reactions: Jollyjules

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Using Linux Mint I can't make it work.
Tried it with 2 different Renpy games, now trying with Personal trainer.
I start unren I tried draggin the exe file, the py file the sh file, I press enter and it just closes.
Of course Python is installed even the thing says so.
I can't do anything, I write whatever, press enter and it closes.
lol.. no surprise, you are doing it wrong.

1. Copy UnRen.command to the games folder next to game.exe/game.py/game.sh.
2. Open UnRen.command in Terminal
3. Copy and paste the games folder location to UnRen.command (Terminal window)
4. Select the command number.

Most important step is #3!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: septacycell

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
lol.. no surprise, you are doing it wrong.

Most important step is #4!
cold_arctus - the best unpaid German tech support on the forum! :p

• Thinking Face
Reactions: cold_arctus

henn94

Mar 25, 2018
I have ubuntu an its not working this way .. the console always say, that "Can't find the game directory in" and then closes.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I have ubuntu an its not working this way .. the console always say, that "Can't find the game directory in" and then closes.
I have Ubuntu (16.04) as well and it works the way I explained it in my post above:

Most important step is #3!

Last edited:

henn94

Mar 25, 2018
Okay, good sign in the end. You mean with folder location, the path which is shown in the properties menu right?
like: /home/..../Dokumente/Games/F95//BeingADIK-0.3.1-pc ... ? its really not working with my computer .. iḿ like really a pc noob. just installed linux because microsoft is a shitty company ;)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Okay, good sign in the end. You mean with folder location, the path which is shown in the properties menu right?
like: /home/..../Dokumente/Games/F95//BeingADIK-0.3.1-pc ... ? its really not working with my computer .. iḿ like really a pc noob. just installed linux because microsoft is a shitty company ;)
Here is a step-by-step guide with screenshots. As a German fella you should understand what is written in my screenshots.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote